Donald Trump

Comments

• bianchimoon
    bianchimoon Posts: 3,942
    FishFish wrote:
    FishFish wrote:
    Clearly something that is of significance to an unimportant person such as yourself would not feature in my concerns nor in those of someone having equal gravitas and high status as myself..

Enlighten us.

I think that the topic in debate was the degree of importance that people placed on a foreign head of state.

Were you too, one of those without the intelligence to understand that??
    Wow, you really do live in a goldfish bowl, one of the most significant political events in our lifetime playing out in front of us and you think it not worthy of discussion.
    All lies and jest..still a man hears what he wants to hear and disregards the rest....
  • kingstongraham
    kingstongraham Posts: 27,770
    Stevo 666 wrote:
    Veronese68 wrote:
    Anyway.
    Good thread on why it's probably going to get worse:
    https://twitter.com/fawfulfan/status/10 ... 37702?s=19
    That makes a lot of sense, unfortunately.
    The common sense solution would be to equalise the car import duties on both sides of the pond by reducing the rates to the lower of the two currently applicable. Which would mean the EU dropping car import duties from the current 10% to the US rate of 2.5%.

Unfortunately I don't think that will happen.

And the USA won't reduce the truck import duty from 25%
  • Stevo_666
    Stevo_666 Posts: 60,651
    Stevo 666 wrote:
    Veronese68 wrote:
    Anyway.
    The common sense solution would be to equalise the car import duties on both sides of the pond by reducing the rates to the lower of the two currently applicable. Which would mean the EU dropping car import duties from the current 10% to the US rate of 2.5%.

Same applies there - both sides can improve on their current protectionist stances.
    "I spent most of my money on birds, booze and fast cars: the rest of it I just squandered." [George Best]
  • kingstongraham
    Stevo 666 wrote:
    Stevo 666 wrote:
    Veronese68 wrote:
    Anyway.

Same applies there - both sides can improve on their current protectionist stances.

That was an aim of TTIP that Trump pulled the USA out of.

Probably for the reasons in that thread.
  • FishFish
    FishFish Posts: 2,152
    FishFish wrote:
    FishFish wrote:
    Wow, you really do live in a goldfish bowl, one of the most significant political events in our lifetime playing out in front of us and you think it not worthy of discussion.

Well go on and discuss it then rather than coming out with your usual copy and paste links which no one reads or your stupid comments that are pointless and add nothing to the discussion that you so feebly promote.
    ...take your pickelf on your holibobs.... :D

jeez :roll:
  • kingstongraham
    FishFish wrote:
    FishFish wrote:
    FishFish wrote:

Well go on and discuss it then rather than coming out with your usual copy and paste links which no one reads or your stupid comments that are pointless and add nothing to the discussion that you so feebly promote.

There's clearly a level of skill involved in successfully using the quote button.
  • rjsterry
    rjsterry Posts: 29,106
    Part III what, I wonder.
    1985 Mercian King of Mercia - work in progress (Hah! Who am I kidding?)
    Pinnacle Monzonite

Part of the anti-growth coalition
  • Stevo_666
    Stevo 666 wrote:
    Stevo 666 wrote:
    Veronese68 wrote:
    Anyway.

Similarly, the EU could choose to drop its high import duties on products such as cars. But it doesn't. Somehow I'm getting the impression from some on here that EU tariffs = sensible/necessary, whereas US tariffs = bad/stupid?
    "I spent most of my money on birds, booze and fast cars: the rest of it I just squandered." [George Best]
  • pinno
    pinno Posts: 52,098
    rjsterry wrote:
    Part III what, I wonder.

Codfather III ?
    seanoconn - gruagach craic!
  • FishFish
    FishFish Posts: 2,152
    Try looking up 'part 3 dampt' if you are that interested.

Commonly described as the most rigorous examination in mathematics in the world.
    ...take your pickelf on your holibobs.... :D

jeez :roll:
  • bompington
    bompington Posts: 7,674
    FishFish wrote:

Commonly described as the most rigorous examination in mathematics in the world.
    Here's an observation aimed, of course, in no particular direction:
    Speaking as someone who
    a) has a mere first class degree in maths (and CS fwiw) and more relevantly
    b) has a lot of experience teaching kids at all points on the spectrum,
    it has become clear to me over the years that ability in maths in no way prevents you from being
    a) really stupid in every other area of life and
    b) an 4rsehole
  • robert88
    robert88 Posts: 2,696
    FishFish wrote:
    sungod wrote:
    /quote]
    he used to flip burgers, but moved on to artisanal batter-coating, the elite

Never done that and am currently head of audit for a dual listed UK Company.

I've also done my Part III 's as opposed to making pretentious and excruciatingly inept juvenile allusions to Natural Phillosophy - for clarity the ones that you make.

Ah, the next Carillion. As someone who takes a great interest in what companies say about themselves I am confident that none I would speculate in has any one like you fulfilling such a role. The style is not becoming of any one in a senior position.

Getting back to the USA (if not the USSR), it's quite alarming that the presidential lawyer has suggested his boss has the power to pardon himself altho' of course he would never doing anything outrageous like that. But..

1. he would first need to be convicted of a crime. Forgetting Melanie's birthday pressie wouldn't cut it.
    2. it's something only a self-styled dictator would do
    3. the president doesn't have an issue with being 'outrageous'.

The USA has a serious problem on its hands. As does the rest of the world.
  • rick_chasey
    rick_chasey Posts: 75,661
    Stevo 666 wrote:
    Stevo 666 wrote:
    Stevo 666 wrote:
    Veronese68 wrote:
    Anyway.

Similarly, the EU could choose to drop its high import duties on products such as cars. But it doesn't. Somehow I'm getting the impression from some on here that EU tariffs = sensible/necessary, whereas US tariffs = bad/stupid?

In fairness the EU hasn’t kicked off a trade war.
  • Stevo_666
    Stevo 666 wrote:
    Stevo 666 wrote:
    Stevo 666 wrote:
    Veronese68 wrote:
    Anyway.

In fairness the EU hasn’t kicked off a trade war.
    That isn't in dispute. I am just pointing out that the EU is not a shining example when it comes to tariff barriers.
  • kingstongraham
    Stevo 666 wrote:
    Stevo 666 wrote:
    Stevo 666 wrote:
    Veronese68 wrote:
    Anyway.

No, I think it's that tariffs are generally bad, but unilaterally reducing them is only theoretically beneficial.

The car tariff can't be viewed in isolation, which is what Trump wants to do. He will want the EU to reduce the car tariff, but the USA not to reduce any tariffs. The only one he will want to reduce is the one he has just increased. That way he has got a win, and the EU has lost.
  • kingstongraham
    FishFish wrote:

How come you ended up in audit then?
  • Stevo_666
    No, I think it's that tariffs are generally bad, but unilaterally reducing them is only theoretically beneficial.

The car tariff can't be viewed in isolation, which is what Trump wants to do. He will want the EU to reduce the car tariff, but the USA not to reduce any tariffs. The only one he will want to reduce is the one he has just increased. That way he has got a win, and the EU has lost.
    As I said above, its better in the ideal world situation for both sides to lower tariffs. Although there are at least a couple of examples of real world unilateral scrapping of import tariffs (Hong Kong an with a few small exceptions, New Zealand), which do not appear to have had an adverse impact.

I was using the car tariff as an example btw.
  • briantrumpet
    briantrumpet Posts: 19,562
    I was reading a persuasive thread this morning about how Trump thinks a deal is only any good if there's a winner and a loser: he can't accept that in some deals both sides come out winning.
  • rjsterry
    rjsterry Posts: 29,106
    FishFish wrote:

Thanks. Google is throwing up a 9 month Masters course at Cambridge, I assume that's the one.
    1985 Mercian King of Mercia - work in progress (Hah! Who am I kidding?)
    Pinnacle Monzonite

Part of the anti-growth coalition
  • veronese68
    veronese68 Posts: 27,699
    FishFish wrote:
    As you claim to be certified to the highest level in adding up and to add up professionally could you please explain to us mere simpletons exactly what it is that you have added to this topic?
  • Matthewfalle
    Matthewfalle Posts: 17,380
    Veronese68 wrote:
    FishFish wrote:
    As you claim to be certified to the highest level in adding up and to add up professionally could you please explain to us mere simpletons exactly what it is that you have added to this topic?

I and I think that in this case he may be quite good at negative numbers.
    Postby team47b » Sun Jun 28, 2015 11:53 am

De Sisti wrote:
    This is one of the silliest threads I've come across. :lol:

Recognition at last Matthew, well done!, a justified honour :D
    smithy21 wrote:

He's right you know.
  • rolf_f
    rolf_f Posts: 16,015
    ayjaycee wrote:
    FishFish wrote:

I've also done my Part III 's "........
    That explains a lot!

Indeed - no wonder he loves the Trump.
    Faster than a tent.......
  • kingstongraham
    rjsterry wrote:
    FishFish wrote:

Thanks. Google is throwing up a 9 month Masters course at Cambridge, I assume that's the one.

DAMTP then, not dampt?
  • bianchimoon
    FishFish wrote:
    sungod wrote:
    /quote]
    he used to flip burgers, but moved on to artisanal batter-coating, the elite

I've also done my Part III 's as opposed to making pretentious and excruciatingly inept juvenile allusions to Natural Phillosophy - for clarity the ones that you make.

Wow, am truly in awe!, you've managed to attain such a high position within a 'dual listed UK company' yet you can't spell, put a coherent sentence together or make a point without resorting to insults. Well done.
    All lies and jest..still a man hears what he wants to hear and disregards the rest....
  • kingstongraham
    Giuliani said on ABC that he doesn't want the President to do an interview with Mueller because his "recollection keeps changing".

That sounds fine.
  • rolf_f
    rolf_f Posts: 16,015
    Giuliani said on ABC that he doesn't want the President to do an interview with Mueller because his "recollection keeps changing".

That sounds fine.

Is that an official admission that Trump has Alzheimer's?
    Faster than a tent.......
  • PhilipPirrip
    PhilipPirrip Posts: 616
    rjsterry wrote:
    FishFish wrote:

No. It was the correspondence course from Trump University
  • tangled_metal
    tangled_metal Posts: 4,021
    Hmmm! A POTUS without the ability to recollect events where he may or may not have committed illegal acts. I was going to question his memory / fitness for office but quite frankly in his position I'd only answer with the phrase "I do not recollect" when asked a question that Meuller might want to ask. It's only an issue if he forgets to use that phrase and tries to say something.

Can't Meuller interview him live on twitter?

Now I'd even go on twitter for that one. I bet Trump would consider it if he thought he could use it to speak to his voter demographic.
  • bianchimoon

That sounds fine.

"recollection keeps changing" Guilliani might as well say "he keeps lying" :)
  • kingstongraham
    Rolf F wrote:

That sounds fine.

Is that an official admission that Trump has Alzheimer's?

Can't decide which lie to settle on.

The dictation of the statement about the meeting in Trump Tower is the classic.

a) He wasn't involved with the statement.
    b) He gave his guidance on what the statement should say.
    c) He dictated the statement.

This is about the meeting that he says he didn't know had happened, and at various points:
    a) didn't happen
    b) was about adoption
    c) was about getting dirt on Hillary that wasn't offered
    d) was about getting dirt on Hillary that wasn't any use