Donald Trump

Comments

• Jez mon
    Jez mon Posts: 3,809
    Terms like "bad job" are just too simplistic surely?

I mean, one persons "making a pigs ear of brexit" would be TM signing us back into the single market etc. But for another, that would be the best possible type of brexit...

I can't help but feel for many, unless Donald had a 180 degree change in direction, whatever he does will be considered a bad job. That's not the same as wanting him to do a bad job.
    You live and learn. At any rate, you live
  • rick_chasey
    rick_chasey Posts: 75,661
    Jez mon wrote:

I mean, one persons "making a pigs ear of brexit" would be TM signing us back into the single market etc. But for another, that would be the best possible type of brexit...

I can't help but feel for many, unless Donald had a 180 degree change in direction, whatever he does will be considered a bad job.

He's just a f*cking idiot. An actual, below average, idiot.

Even a broken clock tells the right time twice a day. Doesn't mean I need to crow till the cows come home about it.
  • Stevo_666
    Stevo_666 Posts: 60,617
    Stevo 666 wrote:
    Although when I do delve in here from time to time there seems to be more sniping at every silly tweet etc rather than discussion of strategic global concerns.
    @ Bally - I think I was right based on the rather chippy reaction to some of your posts :)

It appears that anything less than total condemnation is punishable by righteous indignation :wink:
    "I spent most of my money on birds, booze and fast cars: the rest of it I just squandered." [George Best]
  • rolf_f
    rolf_f Posts: 16,015
    Stevo 666 wrote:
    It appears that anything less than total condemnation is punishable by righteous indignation :wink:

Which I suppose is the reason why middle of the road politics are so out of fashion at the moment.
    Faster than a tent.......
  • Ben6899
    Ben6899 Posts: 9,686
    Rolf F wrote:
    Stevo 666 wrote:

Which I suppose is the reason why middle of the road politics are so out of fashion at the moment.

Trolling is en vogue, though.
    Ben

Bikes: Donhou DSS4 Custom | Condor Italia RC | Gios Megalite | Dolan Preffisio | Giant Bowery '76
    Instagram: https://www.instagram.com/ben_h_ppcc/
    Flickr: https://www.flickr.com/photos/143173475@N05/
  • rick_chasey
    Rolf F wrote:
    Stevo 666 wrote:

It's hardly extremist to think he's an idiot.
  • Ballysmate wrote:
    Ballysmate wrote:
    For the record, when he tweeted regarding the train derailment in WA, I said to my colleagues "he's right, you know".
    https://youtu.be/ymTAUO32ysc?t=5
    Why should anyone greet anything that makes him slightly more re-electable with glee?

Can I infer from that that you would rather the POTUS fcuk up and not get re elected than do a good job and get re elected?

I grant that one is much more likely than the other. Personally I would prefer the incumbent in the White House to do a good job regardless of their political stripe.

That's way too reductive. If I was American, I think that it would be worth the short term pain of him being no good at anything to get the long term gain of him not being President for any longer than necessary.

As a non-American, I think that getting a boost to the US economy and stock market based on increased borrowing is not worth the (deliberate?) destabilising of the whole world.

Why would you want your leader to be rubbish at everything? Would you prefer Theresa May for instance to totally make a pigs ear of Brexit, giving us the worst possible outcome, just purely because you don't like/didn't vote for her on the assumption that she wouldn't get re elected, or would you rather she surprise you and get the best possible outcome?

You're making the rather large mistake of treating him as if he is normal.
  • veronese68
    veronese68 Posts: 27,692
    Stevo 666 wrote:
    Stevo 666 wrote:
    Although when I do delve in here from time to time there seems to be more sniping at every silly tweet etc rather than discussion of strategic global concerns.
    @ Bally - I think I was right based on the rather chippy reaction to some of your posts :)
    He is just goading people into reacting so it's hardly surprising.
  • Now if you asked me If I would prefer everything a future Corbyn government did to go wrong to prevent someone like him getting to a position of power for a long time, I'd have to think carefully...
  • rick_chasey
    Bannon giving Trump both barrels.

He seems convinced it's game over for Trump.
  • bianchimoon
    bianchimoon Posts: 3,942
    Bannon giving Trump both barrels.

He seems convinced it's game over for Trump.
    any link?
    All lies and jest..still a man hears what he wants to hear and disregards the rest....
  • Jez mon
    Jez mon Posts: 3,809
    Jez mon wrote:

I can't help but feel for many, unless Donald had a 180 degree change in direction, whatever he does will be considered a bad job.

Even a broken clock tells the right time twice a day. Doesn't mean I need to crow till the cows come home about it.

I agree.

When I say considered a bad job. What I mean, from my point of view, unless he literally (well, figuratively) becomes a different person, I do not think it is possible for him to do a good job. He has been a reasonable success at being a property developer, and obviously is a reality TV star. I think he actually lacks the political skills to do any kind of job as President, "good" or "bad".
    You live and learn. At any rate, you live
  • dinyull
    dinyull Posts: 2,979
    Jez mon wrote:
    Jez mon wrote:

I agree.

When I say considered a bad job. What I mean, from my point of view, unless he literally (well, figuratively) becomes a different person, I do not think it is possible for him to do a good job. He has been a reasonable success at being a property developer, and obviously is a reality TV star. I think he actually lacks the political skills to do any kind of job as President, "good" or "bad".

This prolly reinforces Bally's/Steveo's point but...

He's only a successful TV personality because he's so obnoxious and it's widely believed he isn't much of a success as a property developer either.
  • bianchimoon
    Such respect for the people of Iran as they try to take back their corrupt government. You will see great support from the United States at the appropriate time!
    I think he's having a Trump moment, these people he has great respect for, he's banned from entering the US :roll:
    All lies and jest..still a man hears what he wants to hear and disregards the rest....
  • I thought he wasn't going to get involved in the middle east?
  • bianchimoon
    I thought he wasn't going to get involved in the middle east?
    he isn't he tends to use the phrase "at the appropriate time" when he doesn't fully understand something, he says it a lot.
  • ballysmate
    ballysmate Posts: 15,930
    Ballysmate wrote:
    Kim didn't just decide to build nuclear warheads last 20 Jan did he? It would appear that the previous administration left the North Korea file in the 'Too Difficult' tray for 8 years.

Please enlighten oh wise one, exactly what has Trump achieved by picking up the file? And what exactly should another country be looking to achieve? Are you suggesting that the US/Sino relationship should have been stronger and that they should have invaded to prevent any kind of nuclear proliferation? Because of course interventionist wars always end well don't they, as opposed to playground spats by two f@@kwits who know they can't push the button because they're genuinely scared that the other one can hit harder.

Still it's a great distraction from the real threat that is how much Russia now owns the US government.

Didn't say Trump has achieved anything positive re N Korea. IMO the time to achieve anything has passed.Once Kim got his nukes it was too late, he ain't gonna give 'em up.
    It seems China is the only state that holds any sort of influence in NK, even sanctions are ineffective without China's co-operation. Perhaps getting China somehow onboard in the last decade would have helped to restrict the nuclear development. Perhaps.
    Invade NK? Who mentioned that? :?
    You are beginning to sound like The Donald. :wink:
  • rolf_f
    rolf_f Posts: 16,015
    Rolf F wrote:
    Stevo 666 wrote:

It's hardly extremist to think he's an idiot.

I don't think I said that - obviously many folk (eg myself) have middle of the road opinions - the problem is that it seems increasingly the case that people are becoming more extreme in the manner that Stevo mentions. And that even the extremists seem to hate the opposite wing to their opinion no more than the centrist opinion biased to their side.

For example, the hatred that the Corbyn fans seem to have for the centre left. Which, of course, given the dubious mathematics behind the expectation of their success at the next election seems a bit foolish (I mean, I doubt I could vote Labour again under the current leadership unless he chooses to be a bit more inclusive - and Corbyn needs me more than I need him...). The same seems to apply on the Tory side.

And no, it is hardly extremist to think that Trump is an idiot. I've never understood why, if someone is clearly an idiot, that it is still regarded as an insult to call them an idiot! Of course, maybe he isn't an idiot - maybe he is just suffering some sort of age related mental degeneration but in that case he probably shouldn't be US president; and again, that shouldn't be an extremist viewpoint; it's probably the best evidence based interpretation of his condition.
    Faster than a tent.......
  • ballysmate
    Now if you asked me If I would prefer everything a future Corbyn government did to go wrong to prevent someone like him getting to a position of power for a long time, I'd have to think carefully...

I am no fan of Jezza or his policies, as you may or may not know, but if he were to be elected I would much rather be proved wrong by him and the country booming rather than be proved right and the country going down the pan.
    Unlikely, I grant you.
  • Ballysmate wrote:
    Now if you asked me If I would prefer everything a future Corbyn government did to go wrong to prevent someone like him getting to a position of power for a long time, I'd have to think carefully...

I am no fan of Jezza or his policies, as you may or may not know, but if he were to be elected I would much rather be proved wrong by him and the country booming rather than be proved right and the country going down the pan.
    Unlikely, I grant you.

If we boomed enough, we could offer to send aid to the poor in the USA like Venezuela did.
  • rick_chasey
    Ballysmate wrote:

Unlikely, I grant you.

I would suggest a not unlikely scenario is Corbyn picking up the pieces after the flimsy electoral advantage the Tories have over Labour disintegrates when the cost of Brexit is felt, leaving him ultimately in charge of the Brexit implementation.
  • rjsterry
    rjsterry Posts: 29,099
    1985 Mercian King of Mercia - work in progress (Hah! Who am I kidding?)
    Pinnacle Monzonite

Part of the anti-growth coalition
  • ballysmate
    Ballysmate wrote:

Unlikely, I grant you.

I would suggest a not unlikely scenario is Corbyn picking up the pieces after the flimsy electoral advantage the Tories have over Labour disintegrates when the cost of Brexit is felt, leaving him ultimately in charge of the Brexit implementation.

Perhaps, perhaps not.
    The 'unlikely' part of my post was

be proved wrong by him and the country booming
  • Ballysmate wrote:
    Ballysmate wrote:

Unlikely, I grant you.

Perhaps, perhaps not.
    The 'unlikely' part of my post was

be proved wrong by him and the country booming

If he gained power when the economy was already on the way up (like Trump), then it's possible, by way of debt fuelled "investment".
  • rick_chasey
    Well yeah, it'd be as much of a f*cking disaster as this pile of sh!te currently are.

All Trump does for the UK is move the boundaries of what is considered not total and utter incompetence. He makes May look vaguely in charge by comparison.
  • haydenm
    haydenm Posts: 2,997
    Whenever Trump speaks the USD tumbles and the stock market gains, it's almost as if he is trying to do a Germany and support domestic industry and jobs by deliberately suppressing currency... that and tax cuts of millionaires (but no one cares when unemployment figures are coming down)

Dangerously trivialising everything into tweet form so everyone thinks you are mad is a risky game
  • orraloon
    orraloon Posts: 13,201
    This was posted elsewhere, originally on the twittery thing by @GeorgeLakoff, making substantive point about der Drumpf using his social media tactically to control the news cycle. Working well for him.

2gsev5u.jpg
  • bianchimoon
    the US must expand its nuclear capability until the world comes to its senses regarding nukes
    How childish a president calling em 'nukes', he really thinks he's in a film, saw a tweet today that said something like "white house staff need to create a Truman show world for him, so that he can carry on in his fantasy world without destroying the real one."