Dan Stevens

Comments

• You got a link to Gabriel's comments?

It on the Timetrialing Forum Webiste which is crashing a bit at the mo but ive cut and pasted it below.

Advanced

79 posts
    Gabriel
    Evans
    London, United Kingdom

Posted Today, 09:15 AM

My background

I am a 2nd-year junior rider from central London. I have been involved in high-level sport since 14. In 2013 I won the London Youth Games Cycling TT and in 2014 I had some road race results as well as winning the National Junior 25 TT, and got a place with a semi-professional British team for the 2015 season.

What happened

On 3 August 2015 I bought EPO for the first time. On 11 August 2015 I travelled to France for a weeks training camp with the family of a then-teammate. With me I brought one vial of EPO. This was found by the teammate's father who presented evidence to UK Anti-Doping. UKAD contacted me shortly after to arrange a deposition, in which I promptly admitted to all wrongdoing. I withdrew from the upcoming Junior Tour of Wales, the premier event on the junior calendar.

I have competed only one time since buying the drugs; on 5 September 2015 I raced the National Junior 10m TT in which I finished 1st. I did not have this race in mind when I used the drugs; I realise that competing was (another) huge mistake but at the time my intent was not malicious. I was hoping to regain some normality and that the whole mess would somehow be swept under the rug. I have now forfeited this title.

Going forward

First of all I would like to say that I am extremely sorry to those who have supported me thus far, especially to those individuals and clubs who have been an endless resource over my intense, albeit short, journey. I know that this will come as a nasty shock, and I wish that I could apologise in person to all of you.

I would also particularly like to apologise to the competitors and organisers of the 2015 Junior National 10 TT, especially to those three riders who were cheated out of medals.

Finally: if there is anybody reading this who is considering using PEDs, know that my choice has turned out to be immensely destructive and has seriously affected my personal life for the past four months (and, I’m sure, will continue to do so). When each week yields news of another positive test it can be easy to work yourself into a mentality whereby doping can be normalised and justified. In reality it strips all enjoyment out of riding. It is immensely damaging not only to your sporting career but also your personal life and it is also very, very dangerous. There is nothing that I would not give to be able to turn back the clock to August 2015 and have that choice again.

I am doing the best I can to put this right by being as honest and contrite as possible. I plan to continue to train hard for the duration of my ban and return to racing once it expires, whenever that should be.

Gabriel Evans
  • bigmat
    bigmat Posts: 5,134
    You got a link to Gabriel's comments?

It on the Timetrialing Forum Webiste which is crashing a bit at the mo but ive cut and pasted it below.

Advanced

79 posts
    Gabriel
    Evans
    London, United Kingdom

Posted Today, 09:15 AM

My background

I am a 2nd-year junior rider from central London. I have been involved in high-level sport since 14. In 2013 I won the London Youth Games Cycling TT and in 2014 I had some road race results as well as winning the National Junior 25 TT, and got a place with a semi-professional British team for the 2015 season.

What happened

On 3 August 2015 I bought EPO for the first time. On 11 August 2015 I travelled to France for a weeks training camp with the family of a then-teammate. With me I brought one vial of EPO. This was found by the teammate's father who presented evidence to UK Anti-Doping. UKAD contacted me shortly after to arrange a deposition, in which I promptly admitted to all wrongdoing. I withdrew from the upcoming Junior Tour of Wales, the premier event on the junior calendar.

I have competed only one time since buying the drugs; on 5 September 2015 I raced the National Junior 10m TT in which I finished 1st. I did not have this race in mind when I used the drugs; I realise that competing was (another) huge mistake but at the time my intent was not malicious. I was hoping to regain some normality and that the whole mess would somehow be swept under the rug. I have now forfeited this title.

Going forward

First of all I would like to say that I am extremely sorry to those who have supported me thus far, especially to those individuals and clubs who have been an endless resource over my intense, albeit short, journey. I know that this will come as a nasty shock, and I wish that I could apologise in person to all of you.

I would also particularly like to apologise to the competitors and organisers of the 2015 Junior National 10 TT, especially to those three riders who were cheated out of medals.

Finally: if there is anybody reading this who is considering using PEDs, know that my choice has turned out to be immensely destructive and has seriously affected my personal life for the past four months (and, I’m sure, will continue to do so). When each week yields news of another positive test it can be easy to work yourself into a mentality whereby doping can be normalised and justified. In reality it strips all enjoyment out of riding. It is immensely damaging not only to your sporting career but also your personal life and it is also very, very dangerous. There is nothing that I would not give to be able to turn back the clock to August 2015 and have that choice again.

I am doing the best I can to put this right by being as honest and contrite as possible. I plan to continue to train hard for the duration of my ban and return to racing once it expires, whenever that should be.

Gabriel Evans

The old David Millar defence eh? Selective doping - able to win at a high level but still proceeded to dope out of, what, curiosity? Of course the only time he was at it was the time he was caught bang to rights, those other results were on bread and water because really, he didn't actually need to cheat...
  • FFS.

How is a teenager able to justify doping by "seeing a positive test every week"? Who is pressuring a junior to the extent they're spending their own money on drugs of dubious provenance off the internet?

That's just depressing.
    "In many ways, my story was that of a raging, Christ-like figure who hauled himself off the cross, looked up at the Romans with blood in his eyes and said 'My turn, sock cookers'"

@gietvangent
  • Anonymous
    Anonymous Posts: 79,667
    Just read it. Thanks.

Oddly doesn't say whether he took it.

I see him a lot riding in Regent's Park although I haven't been there recently. Desperately sad.
  • Just read it. Thanks.

I see him a lot riding in Regent's Park although I haven't been there recently. Desperately sad.

Just noticed that this has been edited from when I first read it. Then he mentioned how the team mates date set up a camera to record him taking the EPO, confronted him about this while recording the conversation and then presented the recordings and the empty EPO vial which he had taken from the luggage to UKAD.

No idea why he would edit to remove that info?
  • I guess he looked at Maserati driving, clothing brand owner and general cycling hero David Millar and thought long and hard about taking EPO. If those are the downsides, you can't blame him for not realising how serious it is to get caught.
  • I guess he looked at Maserati driving, clothing brand owner and general cycling hero David Millar and thought long and hard about taking EPO. If those are the downsides, you can't blame him for not realising how serious it is to get caught.

Fair point, I mean losing your house, going bankrupt and oweing the taxman a few hundred grand are pretty glamorous.
    "In many ways, my story was that of a raging, Christ-like figure who hauled himself off the cross, looked up at the Romans with blood in his eyes and said 'My turn, sock cookers'"

@gietvangent
  • Anonymous
    Anonymous Posts: 79,667
    edited December 2015
    Just read it. Thanks.

Just noticed that this has been edited from when I first read it. Then he mentioned how the team mates date set up a camera to record him taking the EPO, confronted him about this while recording the conversation and then presented the recordings and the empty EPO vial which he had taken from the luggage to UKAD.

Thanks. Makes for some interesting reading on the TTF forum. Furrag (post #63) makes some good points.

http://www.timetriallingforum.co.uk/index.php?showtopic=106161&p=1466830
  • Just read it. Thanks.

Because that's entrapment and filming a minor without their permission is pretty seedy

@gietvangent

Fair point, I mean losing your house, going bankrupt and oweing the taxman a few hundred grand are pretty glamorous.

Selling your house, declaring bankruptcy and paying some tax out of the nice big salary you gat after a couple of years off isn't too tough.

Selling your house, declaring bankruptcy and paying some tax out of the nice big salary you gat after a couple of years off isn't too tough.

Fair point, UKAD probably should have had him shot

@gietvangent
  • JackPozzi
    JackPozzi Posts: 1,191
    Just read it. Thanks.

Because that's entrapment and filming a minor without their permission is pretty seedy

Entrapment would be if the dad put the epo there and left a camera wouldn't it? Rather than just evidence gathering which seems to have happened here
  • Just read it. Thanks.

I know its not best but just finding it wouldn't be enough what's to prove that someone hasn't planted it there. Also I believe he was 18 at the time so not a minor but still a bit seedy I agree.

It wouldn't be entrapment unless he was encouraging him to take drugs then trying to get him convicted because of that.
  • jrich
    jrich Posts: 278
    How on earth is it seedy in this instance?

If he is using the film to collect evidence of doping then that's absolutely fine. Doping is 1000x more seedy than using a camera to collect evidence. It's not an allegation that anyone should make lightly and so the more evidence that can be obtained to support the claim the better.

Not to mention the fact that this is a 17/18 year old adolescent i.e. not a juvenile.

He should be banned for life. Shameful behaviour.
  • Well, we dont know whether he was away with the fairies in his original statement. Or been watching too much Matt Damon.
  • RichN95.
    RichN95. Posts: 27,241
    My two points about this.

1. Most people focus on 'who', but the question I'm asking is 'why'. The masters guy I get - ageing man clinging desperately to youth. But the kid? It makes little sense. He may have had it pushed on him by a coach, but was this coach there when he was filmed on this trip? Or has he been just been surrounded by grumpy cynics constantly saying 'they're all at it' or been entranced by them on social media?

2. I don't like some of the reporting on this. It's Ok for the likes of Cycling Weekly to cover it in full, but then I see more general journalists tweeting about it. For example, Dan Roan, the BBC Sports editor - he doesn't pay any attention to the Giro let alone the Junior Tour of Wales. So is it right that he takes an interest in cheating in an event he took no interest in originally? The same happened with several cycling journalists suddenly taking interest in the Oxford Brooke's rowing team when two of them tested positive for drugs (unrelated to performance). If Mr Roan wants to find drug use, I suggest he starts at the BBC.
    Twitter: @RichN95
  • RichN95.
    edited December 2015
    If he is using the film to collect evidence of doping then that's absolutely fine. Doping is 1000x more seedy than using a camera to collect evidence. It's not an allegation that anyone should make lightly and so the more evidence that can be obtained to support the claim the better.

Not to mention the fact that this is a 17/18 year old adolescent i.e. not a juvenile.
    On the other hand, had the camera been discovered and the boy reported the father for secretly filming him, would you have accepted the excuse that he was trying to catch him with EPO?

(I'm not suggesting the father is a perv btw, just how perspective works)
  • My two points about this.

1. Most people focus on 'who', but the question I'm asking is 'why'. The masters guy I get - ageing man clinging desperately to youth. But the kid? It makes little sense. He may have had it pushed on him by a coach, but was this coach there when he was filmed on this trip? Or has he been just been surrounded by grumpy cynics constantly saying 'they're all at it' or been entranced by them on social media?

2. I don't like some of the reporting on this. It's Ok for the likes of Cycling Weekly to cover it in full, but then I see more general journalists tweeting about it. For example, Dan Roan, the BBC Sports editor - he doesn't pay any attention to the Giro let alone the Junior Tour of Wales. So is it right that he takes an interest in cheating in an event he took no interest in originally? The same happened with several cycling journalists suddenly taking interest in the Oxford Brooke's rowing team when two of them tested positive for drugs (unrelated to performance). If Mr Roan wants to find drug use, I suggest he starts at the BBC.

Yeah, re 2. I'd also add Matt Slater RTing Simon Warren (who frankly out drama queen's most people even in cycling) with the most ludicrously OTT tweet on the subject so far. Ridiculous stuff that most of us would roll our eyes at, but Slater's not that bright
  • If the kid bought the EPO off the internet and maintains it was his first time it should be fairly easy to check his computer forensically.

Obviously he may have procured the EPO from another source previously or, he may be telling the truth as a first time user but at least the authorities will have tried to establish the provenance of his mitigation.
    @JaunePeril

Winner of the Bike Radar Pro Race Wiggins Hour Prediction Competition
  • RichN95.
    If the kid bought the EPO off the internet and maintains it was his first time it should be fairly easy to check his computer forensically.

Obviously he may have procured the EPO from another source previously or, he may be telling the truth as a first time user but at least the authorities will have tried to establish the provenance of his mitigation.
    You do know that UKAD aren't the police. They can't just seize computers.
  • jrich
    jrich Posts: 278
    On the other hand, had the camera been discovered and the boy reported the father for secretly filming him, would you have accepted the excuse that he was trying to catch him with EPO?

(I'm not suggesting the father is a perv btw, just how perspective works)

That's besides the point. By calling the collection of evidence seedy you slander the fathers actions and risk putting people off doing the same in the future. His actions should be commended.

The problem could be avoided by recording a message detailing your intentions before setting up the camera and letting some someone else know what you are doing.
  • DavidJB
    DavidJB Posts: 2,019
    Every year I see people racing in amateurs that are just 'too good' but this is the exception rather than the rule. Some people on here saying it's rife etc, I've never really had that conversation at any race.

Sure there will be people willing to boost their performance using illegal substances which is a shame. I personally don't understand the mentality. I'd rather lose clean than win dirty.

I'd say it was more prevalent at the pointy end of the British scene but again this is pure conjecture and not based on any evidence. I'd say it was very rare at 2nd cat or below, purely because I'd guess any hardcore dopers wouldn't be around that level for long.

I'm far too shit to get ever get tested but I'd welcome them turning up at my door as least I'd see something being done.
  • If the kid bought the EPO off the internet and maintains it was his first time it should be fairly easy to check his computer forensically.

Yes. I that's why I didn't use the words "seize" or "police". For the benefit of the slow witted the above would be by request and require an element of cooperation from the lad to verify his story
    @JaunePeril

• RichN95.
    If the kid bought the EPO off the internet and maintains it was his first time it should be fairly easy to check his computer forensically.

Yes. I that's why I didn't use the words "seize" or "police". For the benefit of the slow witted the above would be by request and require an element of cooperation from the lad to verify his story
    You have as much chance of getting a teenage boy to let you examine his internet history as you have of getting Donald Trump to fast for Ramadan.

You have as much chance of getting a teenage boy to let you examine his internet history as you have of getting Donald Trump to fast for Ramadan.[/quote]

Lol! Brilliant and topical on every level! :lol::lol::lol::lol::lol:
    @JaunePeril

• okgo
    okgo Posts: 4,368
    If they test more they will catch more, I've won a lot of events and never been tested.

Gabriel was a promising rider, but he wasn't going to be pro (no matter what he or anyone else thinks) so it does beg the question of why - I beat him a few times in Richmond Park TT's but I find it hard to believe being beaten in a second rate TT champs or any other similar event (nobody cares about junior CTT champs) is the reason you go about getting some EPO, its all a bit sad and raises more questions than it answers really.
    Blog on my first and now second season of proper riding/racing - www.firstseasonracing.com
  • If they test more they will catch more, I've won a lot of events and never been tested.

Gabriel was a promising rider, but he wasn't going to be pro (no matter what he or anyone else thinks) so it does beg the question of why - I beat him a few times in Richmond Park TT's but I find it hard to believe being beaten in a second rate TT champs or any other similar event (nobody cares about junior CTT champs) is the reason you go about getting some EPO, its all a bit sad and raises more questions than it answers really.

You beat a guy who's doped??? This can only point to one thing...

*phones UKAD*
  • olake92
    olake92 Posts: 182
    Hastings also fails any IQ tests, and needs to get in the sea

Hahaha, yes!

In the team we were originally told by him that it was a contaminated supplement, though I was surprised he would say that seeing as he's a rep for a bodybuilding supplement company. Para 21 of the written decision makes sense in light of that:
    he had researched all of the supplements he had taken and could identify none which could have been contaminated with the Prohibited Substances identified in the AAF.

When I later found out more details (re the syringe etc) I was pretty speechless; Hastings was either lying or an idiot.

I feel stupid to have given him the benefit of the doubt when I thought it was a contaminated supplement. Since hearing the 'amended' story and reading the UKAD Final Decision there's no doubt in my mind that he was taking PEDs.

So, back to original point: He should get in the sea.

N.B. I had to restrain myself from using some much more colourful language! :lol:
    I'm on Twitter! Follow @olake92 for updates on my racing, my team's performance and some generic tweets.
  • Hastings also fails any IQ tests, and needs to get in the sea

Hahaha, yes!

In the team we were originally told by him that it was a contaminated supplement, though I was surprised he would say that seeing as he's a rep for a bodybuilding supplement company. Para 21 of the written decision makes sense in light of that:
    he had researched all of the supplements he had taken and could identify none which could have been contaminated with the Prohibited Substances identified in the AAF.

When I later found out more details (re the syringe etc) I was pretty speechless; Hastings was either lying or an idiot.

I feel stupid to have given him the benefit of the doubt when I thought it was a contaminated supplement. Since hearing the 'amended' story and reading the UKAD Final Decision there's no doubt in my mind that he was taking PEDs.

So, back to original point: He should get in the sea.

N.B. I had to restrain myself from using some much more colourful language! :lol:

I have to say I find the excuses more unpalatable than the offence. What the dopers come up with are an insult to everyone's intelligence. I feel sorry for you and the rest of the team who've put genuine effort into your season.
    @JaunePeril