Alberto Contador is the Greatest

Comments

• Hmmmm
  • TheBigBean
    TheBigBean Posts: 21,532
    Has he announced which races he is riding this year?
  • TheBigBean wrote:
    Has he announced which races he is riding this year?

Apart from the Tour and no Giro? Not that I've seen
  • andyp
    andyp Posts: 10,449
    Yes he has, pretty much identical race programme as last year, so Paris-Nice, Tour of Catalunya, Pais-Vasco, the Dauphine then the Tour.
  • timoid.
    timoid. Posts: 3,133
    He's talking about the Giro next year.
    It's a little like wrestling a gorilla. You don't quit when you're tired. You quit when the gorilla is tired.
  • sherer
    sherer Posts: 2,460
    Timoid. wrote:

Thought last season was meant to be his last, now it's two years extra. Would rather he did the 100th Giro, can't see him wining then tour.
  • pinno
    pinno Posts: 52,089
    fat daddy wrote:
    Pinno wrote:
    I wish he would try for the Giro or Vuelta as I don't think he can win another Tdf no matter who or how many fall off*....

2014 Nibali ???

All it takes is everyone better than you to pull out and you have won ! ..... Contador can still do it :mrgreen:

I wish. I refer to my previous post (which has been quoted and provides easy reference :D )
    seanoconn - gruagach craic!
  • No ressurection of an FF tnread is complete without a reminder of 'those socks' ...
    Life is unfair, kill yourself or get over it.
  • timoid.
    timoid. Posts: 3,133
    sherer wrote:
    Timoid. wrote:

Thought last season was meant to be his last, now it's two years extra. Would rather he did the 100th Giro, can't see him wining then tour.

Yeah. Maybe he thinks with Quintana doing the Giro, a bad year from Froome could give him a chance.

Pretty darn optimistic outlook, but hey ho.
    It's a little like wrestling a gorilla. You don't quit when you're tired. You quit when the gorilla is tired.
  • rick_chasey
    rick_chasey Posts: 75,648
    Timoid. wrote:
    sherer wrote:
    Timoid. wrote:

Yeah. Maybe he thinks with Quintana doing the Giro, a bad year from Froome could give him a chance.

Pretty darn optimistic outlook, but hey ho.

Good for Contador. If Froome crashes out week one, we're on for a great race.
  • RichN95.
    RichN95. Posts: 27,241

I'm not convinced it would involve Contador in a leading role though.
    Twitter: @RichN95
  • rick_chasey
    RichN95 wrote:

I'm not convinced it would involve Contador in a leading role though.

If by leading you mean yellow jersey, meh.

If by leading you mean in the thick of the action, yes yes yes.

He's the best race animator of his generation. Needs more credit for that.
  • RichN95.
    He's the best race animator of his generation. Needs more credit for that.
    These days he's an animator when he's down in fifth place, out of contention, with little to lose. It's the equivalent of sending the goalie up for a corner in the last minute. When he's in contention, riders know he can't make an attack stick anymore.

He's another year older. I expect Bardet, Chaves and Porte at least to be better than him come July.

Maybe the change of team will breathe new life into him, but I'm sceptical.
  • Dorset_Boy
    Dorset_Boy Posts: 7,391
    When was the last time he really animated a race as opposed to making a couple of attacks that last 300m?
  • Dorset Boy wrote:
    When was the last time he really animated a race as opposed to making a couple of attacks that last 300m?

a couple that spring to mind from last season:

last year's P-N when he went on the attack on Col d'Eze
    Formigal stage of last year's Vuelta
  • yorkshireraw
    yorkshireraw Posts: 1,632
    Is he still a better prospect for Trek than Mollema these days? Although can't see either winning a GT really.
  • RichN95.
    Col d'Eze he was up against Geraint Thomas (and ultimately failed)
    Forgimal was initiated by Brambilia, I think. And it wasn't as impressive as when Orica mugged for his podium spot later on.
  • bobmcstuff
    bobmcstuff Posts: 11,398
    Anyone else think this might be a bit like the "Cav's finished" threads?

I've stopped believing predictions now anyway...
    UK: Leave will never win
    US: Trump will never win
    Tour: Contador will never win.........
  • RichN95.
    bobmcstuff wrote:

The difference is that Cavendish usually comes up with the goods. Contador hasn't done anything of much note at the Tour since 2010.
  • TheBigBean
    TheBigBean Posts: 21,532
    I don't understand a lot of opinions on this thread.

Contador is undeniably an entertaining rider. If you can't find him entertaining, then I'm not sure who you can.

He still manages some credible stage race results. He's not going to ride away from Froome or Quintana, but I wouldn't write him off if the competition is Chavez, Porte and Bardet.
  • spam02
    spam02 Posts: 178
    RichN95 wrote:
    bobmcstuff wrote:

The difference is that Cavendish usually comes up with the goods. Contador hasn't done anything of much note at the Tour since 2010.

Depends on your definition of much note I suppose, but a couple of GT wins no matter who they were against aint too bad.
    Still, I agree that his best is behind him now and his best bet would be to target a Giro or Vuelta. It would be a shame to see him slowly slide down the GC and into obscurity rather than finish whilst at a relatively high level.
  • RichN95.
    SPaM02 wrote:
    Depends on your definition of much note I suppose, but a couple of GT wins no matter who they were against aint too bad.
    I was specifically referring to just the Tour. He's quite capable of winning other races. I wouldn't be surprised if he won Paris-Nice next week.
  • spam02
    spam02 Posts: 178
    RichN95 wrote:
    SPaM02 wrote:
    I was specifically referring to just the Tour. He's quite capable of winning other races. I wouldn't be surprised if he won Paris-Nice next week.

Ah, apologies, I've just re-read your comment.
  • rick_chasey
    RichN95 wrote:
    Forgimal was initiated by Brambilia, I think. And it wasn't as impressive as when Orica mugged for his podium spot later on.

I thought Formigal was finished off by Bramilia rather the other way around, but I only watched the highlights.

But Rich, why are you so down on Contador? Too interested in winners?
  • RichN95 wrote:

My post was in answer to 'when did he last really animate', not 'when did he last win' or 'when did he last dance off the front for 200m'

And undoubtedly he animated on both Col d'Eze and the Formigal stage
  • RichN95.

But Rich, why are you so down on Contador? Too interested in winners?
    I'm not especially down on him, more the idea that he's a particularly exciting rider these days. Sure he attacks, he they are more a raging at the dying of the light rather than anything genuinely threatening. It's seem more a show for the fans - like a de luxe Jens Voigt. If he wins races it will be by being defensive and still having a decent TT.

Maybe he'll come roaring back. I thought Evans was past it at the beginning of 2011.
    My post was in answer to 'when did he last really animate', not 'when did he last win' or 'when did he last dance off the front for 200m'

And undoubtedly he animated on both Col d'Eze and the Formigal stage
    Fair enough.
  • andyp
    andyp Posts: 10,449
    RichN95 wrote:
    It's seem more a show for the fans - like a de luxe Jens Voigt. If he wins races it will be by being defensive and still having a decent TT.

:lol:

That's a low blow.
  • jam1e
    jam1e Posts: 1,068
    There's the old saying about judging a man by the company he keeps and for me the cycling equivalent is judging a rider by his fans - and the more vocal of contador's fans are generally very, very precious about dirty bertie, hypocritical in the extreme, conspiratorial and will come up with increasingly elaborate scenarios in which he will win whilst also belittling his opponents.

So now one of my biggest pro-cycling pleasures is watching those fans moan about bertie's misfortunes - the fact that he has to suffer those misfortunes in the first place is almost by-the-by.
  • ddraver
    ddraver Posts: 26,660
    We're in danger of confusing passion with incompetence
    - @ddraver
  • rick_chasey
    Excellent DD.