Last Film Watched

Comments

• wolfsbane2k
    wolfsbane2k Posts: 3,056
    Mortal Engines. Don't bother.

The lurgy made me do it, alright?
    Intent on Cycling Commuting on a budget, but keep on breaking/crashing/finding nice stuff to buy.
    Bike 1 (Broken) - Bike 2(Borked) - Bike 3(broken spokes) - Bike 4( Needs Work) - Bike 5 (in bits) - Bike 6* ...
  • awavey
    awavey Posts: 2,368
    Mortal Engines. Don't bother.

The lurgy made me do it, alright?

Ive heard the books are supposed to be better...but Im not going to bother wasting my time to read them to find out if thats so :)

the most confusingly stupid film I thought Id see this year that literally seems like theres as much film story they cut out as left in it...and then I watched Fantastic Beasts: The Crimes of Grindelwald, which I think is worse because I can accept Mortal Engines is just a low grade stupid teen fantasy rip off of steampunk star wars, but Harry Potter prequels dont have to be this stupid do they
  • meursault said:

MV5BNGVjNWI4ZGUtNzE0MS00YTJmLWE0ZDctN2ZiYTk2YmI3NTYyXkEyXkFqcGdeQXVyMTkxNjUyNQ@@._V1_UX182_CR0,0,182,268_AL_.jpg

A whole load of awesomeness.

Best film I have seen for a long time.
  • ddraver
    ddraver Posts: 26,391
    edited November 2019
    Not sure why but I've had a bit of a hankering for 'coming of age' films this weekend. Alongside the classics of Superbad and Juno I've watched

Booksmart - back in the news recently but a really nice film

Good Boys - more of an out and out comedy about the end of 'primary school' (or whatevs it is in America). A bit silly but in all the right ways.

Both will make your missus happy cry too...

Saw the Lion King during the week, Not too bad but I was the perfect age for the original so frankly when any line wasn't identical it just felt wrong. I really don't see the point of these remakes but, well.
    We're in danger of confusing passion with incompetence
    - @ddraver
  • ddraver
    Lagrange said:

I saw Captain Corelli's Mandolin last night. Well half of it. Jeez - glad I only paid a £ for it. Binned. :(

You must read the book though. The audiobook is also very well done. The film...yep...
    - @ddraver
  • capt_slog
    capt_slog Posts: 3,946
    Just returned home from seeing "The Aeronauts".

Nicely done, nothing you wouldn't expect but a good watch all the same.
    (meerkat movies + off-peak charges + reclining seats in the cinema, even got a free Aero bar each :)...marvellous).

@ddraver Captain Corelli's Mandolin. I found the book disappointing, I thought it had a crap ending. Interesting though from a historic point of view, I didn't know about the different partisans until that.

The older I get, the better I was.

• ddraver
    Zombieland 2 - saw a review of it that said it's 'a perfectly fine waste of your time' and would totally agree

Not as good as the first, Yes we know it's a sequel, yes we know weed is legal in some states now (why does every comedy film need a stoner joke scene now??), but if you liked the first you'll chuckle along to this one too.

And anything with an emo Emma Stone in it is fine by me...
    - @ddraver
  • pblakeney
    pblakeney Posts: 25,799
    ddraver said:

And anything with an emo Emma Stone in it is fine by me...

Emma Stoner?

The above may be fact, or fiction, I may be serious, I may be jesting.
    I am not sure. You have no chance.
    Veronese68 wrote:
    PB is the most sensible person on here.
  • ddraver
    She could make even the lamest 'oh meh gerd, I'm like totally high right now'..."gag"...sexy
    - @ddraver
  • wolfsbane2k
    wolfsbane2k Posts: 3,056
    Baby Driver.

Rather enjoyable.
    Intent on Cycling Commuting on a budget, but keep on breaking/crashing/finding nice stuff to buy.
    Bike 1 (Broken) - Bike 2(Borked) - Bike 3(broken spokes) - Bike 4( Needs Work) - Bike 5 (in bits) - Bike 6* ...
  • rick_chasey
    rick_chasey Posts: 72,734
    Great film.

--
    I watched winter's bone, which is quite a good gritty film. Film noir in structure, naturalistic in execution.

I think it's the film that made the world aware of Jennifer Lawrence, though she plays a hard-as-nails hard up teenager caught up in tough circumstances.
  • fenix
    fenix Posts: 5,437
    Child 44. Tom Hardy is good, but the plot didn't make a great deal of sense. I think it was setting itself up for a series of films - but I don't think that happened.
  • 3 good ones.

Zombie Land 2. If you like the first then this is a good sequel. It's more of the same but isn't that what you want in a sequel?

Ford vs Ferrari (or what ever they called it in the UK). This is really worth seeing, it's entertaining, exciting, the characters are interesting. A bit of a tragic story about Ken Miles who gets conned out of victory of Le Mans at the end then crashes and dies testing the next car.

Motherless Brooklyn, saw it yesterday. It's a 1950's gumshoe story. The plot is formula american detective stuff, corruption in a city where town planning is hijacked by a builder that wants to turf out the people in the poorest areas so they can redevelop. Twists and turns in the plot that are a bit too quick to follow at times. And some of the editing leaves you having to fill in what must have happened between scenes. But the characters are good with Edward Norton playing a detective with tourettes saying these stupid things all the time and it's not too cliched detective stuff. Unfortunately for Norton I was the only person in the audience. Had the whole screen to myself.
  • pblakeney

Motherless Brooklyn, saw it yesterday. It's a 1950's gumshoe story. The plot is formula american detective stuff, corruption in a city where town planning is hijacked by a builder that wants to turf out the people in the poorest areas so they can redevelop.

It's not based on a true story but the Alec Baldwin character is based on Robert Moses who it is claimed did the stuff in the film as New York City Parks Commissioner and Construction Coordinator.
    Veronese68 wrote:
  • Last Christmas

Watching this was literally painful. You do not have to do this to yourself.
  • mfin
    mfin Posts: 6,729
    edited February 2020
    Joker.

Well, saw it when it came out and hadn't thought to post.

I always look forward to well crafted films, with great character studies, and never am after cheap kicks from a film. So, it should be up my street and I was looking forward to it.

However, I did not get the hype, it was simply flawed. Joaquin Phoenix is a great actor but in this, I'm not so sure. I went with a few people to see it. Afterwards it was the standard "what do you reckon?" conversations.

It seems everyone agreed, that the final scene which in some ways it builds up to, when he appears on DeNiro's show, did not 'evolve' into him being that character at all. Suddenly he came across totally different, it seemed totally disconnected. The whole point in the evolution of how he reached that point step by step was lost. It didn't work.

The scene itself was fine, but two minutes ago on screen it wasn't the same bloke at all. But the point was evolution to that point surely? So, the film didn't do its job.

My rough guess is it they might have had the material recorded to get it to be coherent but it was left on the editing room floor. Or, even worse, they never had it in the can to use. Very odd.

Disconnected, not very compelling. I'm sure for a lot of people who don't engage brain that it was just another film they liked, and fair enough.

It had all the potential to be fantastic but it was "alright", time will tell, I don't think it will be thought of as a classic in even a couple of year's time. Certainly not worth the awards.

Not cràp but definitely a way way over rated film.
  • Uncut Gems on Netflix.
    Very good, Adam Sandler in a completely different role to what you're used to seeing him in, but he impressed. Quite stressful to watch but definitely recommend it.
  • mrb123
    mrb123 Posts: 4,619
    gouldy88 said:

Uncut Gems on Netflix.
    Very good, Adam Sandler in a completely different role to what you're used to seeing him in, but he impressed. Quite stressful to watch but definitely recommend it.

I started that the other night but gave up after about 45 minutes. As you say, not an easy watch but perhaps I should go back to it and see it through to the end.
  • mr_goo
    mr_goo Posts: 3,770
    mrb123 said:

gouldy88 said:

Uncut Gems on Netflix.

I started that the other night but gave up after about 45 minutes. As you say, not an easy watch but perhaps I should go back to it and see it through to the end.
    You lasted 45mins!
    Mrs Goo and I put this on last weekend. Gave up after 20mins.
    Always be yourself, unless you can be Aaron Rodgers....Then always be Aaron Rodgers.
  • mrb123
    mrb123 Posts: 4,619
    mr_goo said:

mrb123 said:

gouldy88 said:

Uncut Gems on Netflix.

You lasted 45mins!
    Mrs Goo and I put this on last weekend. Gave up after 20mins.
    My decision to abandon it was made when I had a look to see how long was left and realised there was still over an hour and a half to go!
  • ddraver
    edited February 2020
    ...see also The Irishman.

The acting from Pesci, De Niro and Pacino is outstanding but...god it's long!

Possibly Netflix not forcing studios to edit a little more isn't so good (in contrast to mfin's point about The Joker)
    - @ddraver
  • mfin
    BBC report that the Oscars viewing audience on TV dropped to a new low.

I think it would be down in large part to the lack of decent nominated films this year.

1917 too formulaic and underwhelming, not doing well at the box office, Once Upon a Time in Hollywood is just an 'okay' film, Joker is watchable but really not that good and a bit disconnected and over-hyped, The Irishman is a good character study but hardly genre-defining and quite forgettable. Le Mans 1966 isn't really best picture material.

So, what a weak year.

I'm glad Parasite got best picture, as the others were undeserving of it.
  • Longshot
    Longshot Posts: 940
    People watch award shows?! :o
    You can fool some of the people all of the time. Concentrate on those people.
  • ballysmate
    ballysmate Posts: 15,921
    If only recipients followed Ricky Gervais' advice.
    "Accept your little award, thank your agent, and your God and f *** off, OK?':
  • slowmart
    slowmart Posts: 4,481
    The Gangster, the Cop and the Devil.

Switch your brain off, enjoy the fantastic inflections of Korean, story and acting.
    “Give a man a fish and feed him for a day. Teach a man to fish and feed him for a lifetime. Teach a man to cycle and he will realize fishing is stupid and boring”

Desmond Tutu
  • Stevo_666
    Stevo_666 Posts: 58,538
    Train to Busan.

As Korean zombie flicks go, it's quite a good one.
    "I spent most of my money on birds, booze and fast cars: the rest of it I just squandered." [George Best]
  • pblakeney
    mfin said:

Joker.

It seems everyone agreed, that the final scene which in some ways it builds up to, when he appears on DeNiro's show, did not 'evolve' into him being that character at all. Suddenly he came across totally different, it seemed totally disconnected. The whole point in the evolution of how he reached that point step by step was lost. It didn't work.

I watched it last night and waited for the disjoint. Nope, the progression made sense to me. I really enjoyed it. That said, it is certainly a dark study.
    Veronese68 wrote:
  • mfin
    edited February 2020
    pblakeney said:

mfin said:

Joker.

I watched it last night and waited for the disjoint. Nope, the progression made sense to me. I really enjoyed it. That said, it is certainly a dark study.
    Fair enough, on the final scene it seemed like entirely different character to me. The progression was ok along the way up until that point. It felt welded onto the end to me. I normally love films like it promised so much to be, I love character studies. (I don't like junk films, action films, or cheap shots at entertainment at all) but this just didn't work for me. It wasn't awful but it was only a 6.5/10 tops for me.
  • elbowloh
    elbowloh Posts: 7,078
    Joker, yeah. I started watching it on the plane (which i know is not ideal viewing), but i got about half way through and got bored. I was a little tired, so turned it off and didn't feel compelled to watch the rest later, even on the return flight.
    Felt F1 2014
    Felt Z6 2012
    Red Arthur Caygill steel frame
    Tall....
    www.seewildlife.co.uk
  • rick_chasey
    rick_chasey Posts: 72,734
    The bookshop.

Rather like the book, far too much fannying around with nothing happening, followed by a rather
    bleak and
    satisfying ending.

Would suggest not finding out what way the ending goes if you intend to watch it as the great value it has is how it comes out of the blue.

Is also rather a weakness of the plot, film, book, the lot. The pay off is there, but does it make up for an unusually plodding rest-of-film?

Arguably the main string puller in the whole plot is also not given remotely enough space to develop or really give you an understanding of why they're motivated to behave that way, but that could be argued to be part of the plot device.

Probs wouldn't recommend it on balance.