Last Film Watched

Comments

• crispybug2
    crispybug2 Posts: 2,915
    Eddie The Eagle on DVD

Crimbo present, yep it's sappy as hell and as loose as is humanly possible to the 'based on true story' premis but you know what?? Sod it! I really really enjoyed it.
  • eric_draven
    eric_draven Posts: 1,192
    Dallas Buyers Club
    thought it was a great film,showing the misconceptions of the HIV/AIDS back in that time,and one guy's fight to live as long as possible
  • mr_goo
    mr_goo Posts: 3,770
    Rogue One.

Firstly went to see this at ABC Bournemouth on the the huge screen 1 (980 capacity) which closes down for good next week. So this was also a farewell visit to a great cinema that I visited frequently as a kid on Saturday morning kids clubs. It should have been invested in (thanks a lot Odeon), but alas it's going along with its neighbouring Odeon also with a huge Screen 1 (750 capacity ). All to be replaced by a monolithic multiplex on the other side of the gardens.

Back to the film.
    Pretty Good despite my reservations before going to see it. It was a little confusing in places but there are a few nuggets in there for Star Wars fans ie; the Jedi home world and Grand Moff Tarkin. The final battle scene is excellent.
    Always be yourself, unless you can be Aaron Rodgers....Then always be Aaron Rodgers.
  • mr_goo
    The Book Thief. If you are looking for a happy, pick me up film then this is not it. Otherwise it is quite excellent. I have read the book, but this was some time ago. I think there was more emphasis on the main character Liesel actually pinching reading material in the book. This was lost a wee bit in the film, however the main gist of the story is kept and I thought it was brilliantly acted, especially Geoffrey Rush as the adopting father.
    Always be yourself, unless you can be Aaron Rodgers....Then always be Aaron Rodgers.
  • mr_goo
    Whiplash - wtf was that all about?
  • seanoconn
    seanoconn Posts: 11,416
    Mr Goo wrote:
    Drumming really really fast.
    Pinno, מלך אידיוט וחרא מכונאי
  • seanoconn
    Passengers. Quite enjoyable. The main characters are likeable and the film moves at a decent pace. Decent sci-fi.
  • mr_goo
    seanoconn wrote:
    Mr Goo wrote:
    Drumming really really fast.

Yep. That was all I enjoyed about it. Otherwise pass.
  • FishFish
    FishFish Posts: 2,152
    I too liked the Dallas buyers club. But.

Just finished Oceans 13. It was awful!
    ...take your pickelf on your holibobs.... :D

jeez :roll:
  • crispybug2
    FishFish wrote:

Just finished Oceans 13. It was awful!

Presumably then you have seen Oceans 12??

It's actually even worse!!
  • laurentian
    laurentian Posts: 2,389
    seanoconn wrote:
    Passengers. Quite enjoyable. The main characters are likeable and the film moves at a decent pace. Decent sci-fi.

. . . mmmm - got to say I was disappointed with this. The idea of the plot was brilliant but I don't think they made the most of it somehow. "Decent" is about as generous as I would be
    Wilier Izoard XP
  • vulva65
    vulva65 Posts: 118
    seanoconn wrote:
    by likeable you mean Jennifer Lawrence is incredibly attractive? If so I heavily concur.
  • capt_slog
    capt_slog Posts: 3,946
    Fantastic Beasts and where to find them.

Entertaining and fun, although a lot of it feels like exercises in CGI, for the sake of using CGI.

The older I get, the better I was.

• Stevo_666
    Stevo_666 Posts: 58,549
    Wolf of Wall Street. Good watch.
    "I spent most of my money on birds, booze and fast cars: the rest of it I just squandered." [George Best]
  • mamba80
    mamba80 Posts: 5,032
    The Railway Man, i watched first at the cinema but saw it again on TV the other night, a fantastic film, though if you like the Wolf etc, it might be a bit beyond you lol! sorry.
  • Oh Brother Where Art Thou

Not bad, a little sing songy or silly at parts but was entertaining nonetheless.
  • crispybug2
    La La Land

Went with the natural blonde last night, I personally thought it was a giant parcel of excrement but by the same token I'm not a big fan of musicals (hate them to be blunt!)

The natural blonde however is a big fan of the musicals and also has a soft spot for Ryan Gosling and she thought it was a bit meh!!!
  • seanoconn
    Vulva65 wrote:
    seanoconn wrote:
    by likeable you mean Jennifer Lawrence is incredibly attractive? If so I heavily concur.
    Something about her makes me think she could use a good wash. Bit too much of a ladette for my taste.
  • seanoconn
    mamba80 wrote:
    The Railway Man, i watched first at the cinema but saw it again on TV the other night, a fantastic film, though if you like the Wolf etc, it might be a bit beyond you lol! sorry.
    Get that stick out of your rectum mamba.
  • ballysmate
    ballysmate Posts: 15,921
    seanoconn wrote:
    Vulva65 wrote:
    seanoconn wrote:
    Something about her makes me think she could use a good wash. Bit too much of a ladette for my taste.

No doubt, Sean's had better. :lol:
  • seanoconn
    Ballysmate wrote:
    seanoconn wrote:
    Vulva65 wrote:
    seanoconn wrote:

No doubt, Sean's had better. :lol:
    I can afford to be picky.
  • laurentian
    laurentian Posts: 2,389
    T2 Trainspotting

A worthy successor
    Wilier Izoard XP
  • earth
    earth Posts: 934
    laurentian wrote:
    seanoconn wrote:

. . . mmmm - got to say I was disappointed with this. The idea of the plot was brilliant but I don't think they made the most of it somehow. "Decent" is about as generous as I would be

Saw this as well. Plot wise I thought it was fairly standard space stuff. Similar to Pandorium a few years ago but without the action. The thing about these space flicks is that they can do them on a shoestring budget because there are only a few characters and a limited set all done in a sound studio.

It passed the time but not worth recommending or remembering.
  • Superbad, seen it few times and always good for a giggle.
    Love when the cops order 13 road beers.
  • pblakeney
    pblakeney Posts: 25,804
    crispybug2 wrote:
    La La Land

Went with the natural blonde last night, I personally thought it was a giant parcel of excrement but by the same token I'm not a big fan of musicals (hate them to be blunt!)

The natural blonde however is a big fan of the musicals and also has a soft spot for Ryan Gosling and she thought it was a bit meh!!!
    I call Emperor's new clothes. Been watching a lot of films while recovering from a hernia op.
    All have been meh. Best of the bunch was re-watching Band of Brothers. By a long, long way.
    The above may be fact, or fiction, I may be serious, I may be jesting.
    I am not sure. You have no chance.
    Veronese68 wrote:
    PB is the most sensible person on here.
  • Keith47
    Keith47 Posts: 158
    Also watched Passengers recently, It stars Jennifer Lawrence so of course it was good! :D I watched Hacksaw Ridge last night, a "true story" directed by Mel Gibson so the only true bits were probably the names. But I have to say I thought it was a great film, well worth watching , and you can't say that about many of his films!
    The problem is we are not eating food anymore, we are eating food-like products.
  • secretsam
    secretsam Posts: 5,099
    "Ted"

Not seen it before, am a big Family Guy fan. And a bloke. Therefore major PMSL session, not sophisticated but funny. Some epic f&rt gags!

It's just a hill. Get over it.
  • secretsam
    secretsam Posts: 5,099
    Capt Slog wrote:
    Fantastic Beasts and where to find them.

Entertaining and fun, although a lot of it feels like exercises in CGI, for the sake of using CGI.

Have to admit, I took the kids to that, and thought it was a plot-free dead-horse-flogging exercise. And the CGI was "Meh"

It's just a hill. Get over it.
  • LiamW
    LiamW Posts: 358
    Hidden Figures...Story of 3 African American women who basically got America into space in the 60s.
  • LiamW
    LiamW Posts: 358
    Keith47 wrote:
    Also watched Passengers recently, It stars Jennifer Lawrence so of course it was good! :D I watched Hacksaw Ridge last night, a "true story" directed by Mel Gibson so the only true bits were probably the names. But I have to say I thought it was a great film, well worth watching , and you can't say that about many of his films!

It is a 100% true story.

Story of Desmond Doss, a conscientious object that saved 75 fellow soldiers during the battle of Okinawa.