Last Film Watched

Comments

• seanoconn
    seanoconn Posts: 11,401
    Turbo Kid.

Canadian/New Zeland collaboration about a post apocalyptic future set in the 1990's :? where a kid becomes a super hero to save his girlfriend from some nasty types. strangely it works :D Buckets of blood and gore, quite enjoyable.
    Pinno, מלך אידיוט וחרא מכונאי
  • team47b
    team47b Posts: 6,425
    Swiss army man...um different :D
    my isetta is a 300cc bike
  • Disney's Bolt.
    Been meaning to watch it a while, finally found a pile of ironing that forced me to stay in 1 place for an hour and a half.
    Intent on Cycling Commuting on a budget, but keep on breaking/crashing/finding nice stuff to buy.
    Bike 1 (Broken) - Bike 2(Borked) - Bike 3(broken spokes) - Bike 4( Needs Work) - Bike 5 (in bits) - Bike 6* ...
  • vimfuego
    vimfuego Posts: 1,783
    Jay & Silent Bob Strike Back

well I laughed anyway
    CS7
    Surrey Hills
    What's a Zwift?
  • Brooklyn

What a catastrophic waste of time.
    Cube - Peloton
    Cannondale - CAAD10
  • priory
    priory Posts: 743
    ExistenZ
    saw it in the 90's and recorded it recently . It's still good and wierd, especially the first time you see it.
    Raleigh Eclipse, , Dahon Jetstream XP, Raleigh Banana, Dawes super galaxy, Raleigh Clubman

http://s189.photobucket.com/albums/z122 ... =slideshow
  • pottssteve
    pottssteve Posts: 4,069
    Vi är bäst! (We are the best!). A film about 2 Scandinavian school girls - no, it's not what you're thinking, you filthy sods - who start a punk rock band. Hilarious, though not intentionally, I reckon....
    Head Hands Heart Lungs Legs
  • Sing Street. Uplifting coming of age film set in the 80's. One of the better films of this year.
  • Miles Ahead, also Heart of the Sea. Both 2/10
  • joelsim
    joelsim Posts: 7,552
    Well my little one was off school sick yesterday so we watched:

Big trouble in little China
    Moonraker
    Dirty rotten scoundrels
    The spy next door

That's more films in one day than I've watched all year.
  • twist83
    twist83 Posts: 761
    John Wick for about the 12000 time.

Lone Survivor has just arrived in 4K UHD HDR with DTS:X Soundtrack. Looking forward to taking that for a spin later.
  • mrb123
    mrb123 Posts: 4,613
    Meru. Pretty decent mountaineering documentary film.
  • K-shop!
  • Tashman
    Tashman Posts: 3,400
    Layer Cake - always missed seeing this but got a free download last night. Enjoyable and easy to see where the move towards a gritty Bond came from. Oh and Sienna Miller!!
  • seanoconn
    seanoconn Posts: 11,401
    The Magnificent seven remake. average - poor western. Chris Pratt gets a few amusing lines but all in all pretty silly and forgettable.
    Pinno, מלך אידיוט וחרא מכונאי
  • vimfuego
    Blazing Saddles (with daughter #1)

About the 50th time. Still funny.
    We had beans for tea too. Mrs F was none too impressed with the ensuing parody.....
    CS7
    Surrey Hills
    What's a Zwift?
  • twist83
    twist83 Posts: 761
    twist83 wrote:
    John Wick for about the 12000 time.

Lone Survivor has just arrived in 4K UHD HDR with DTS:X Soundtrack. Looking forward to taking that for a spin later.

So I watched Lone Survivor. Pretty stomach churning film. DTS X soundtrack was stunning. Cat couldn't handle it, he had to leave.

One of the best 4K Blu Rays today for both sound and picture
  • joelsim
    joelsim Posts: 7,552
    Ferris Bueller's Day Off.

30 years later, still excellent.

9 year old loved it too.

anyone, anyone?
  • crispybug2
    crispybug2 Posts: 2,915
    Bridget Jones's Baby

Took the natural blonde to watch this last night to earn future brownie points....... I'll just say that it's the least awful of the three, it's the highest praise I can give it!
  • vimfuego
    Joelsim wrote:
    Ferris Bueller's Day Off.

30 years later, still excellent.

9 year old loved it too.

anyone, anyone?

Excellent

giphy.gif
    CS7
    Surrey Hills
    What's a Zwift?
  • capt_slog
    capt_slog Posts: 3,946
    A walk in the woods.

Film about Bill Bryson trying to walk the Apalacian Trail. Entertaining somehow, but really it's a film about not very much.

The older I get, the better I was.

• Tashman
    Jungle Book - The new one. Absolutely fantastic
  • Redbaron1
    Redbaron1 Posts: 116
    Eddie the Eagle, really quite enjoyable
  • dov2711
    dov2711 Posts: 131
    Hunt for the Wilderpeople, Sam Neill as an elderly curmudgeon who inherits the care of his 14 yaer old nephew, New Zealand based film and pretty good fun.

It has a (birthday) song which we are taking great delight in irritating the hell out of my wife by singing for prolonged periods of time (way, way beyond its sell by date) at each and every possible opportunity, the more inappropriate the better...

Don't know how to embed a you tube video!!

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=us6ZcvCcYoo
  • I don't remember.
  • capt_slog
    capt_slog Posts: 3,946
    Rogue One.

It's good, a little confusing, but entertaining.

I wonder if there will be a sequel? :)

The older I get, the better I was.

• LukeTC
    LukeTC Posts: 211
    Capt Slog wrote:
    Rogue One.

It's good, a little confusing, but entertaining.

I wonder if there will be a sequel? :)
    Agreed, bit confusing but still enjoyable.

I would prefer a prequel, preferably containing a bit more info on Chirrut's backstory as he was by far the most interesting character in the film imo
  • Tashman
    Miracle on 34th Street (The Dickie Attenborough version) - perfect Sunday afternoon crimbo snoozefest
  • crescent
    crescent Posts: 1,201
    "War Dogs" and then "Snowden". Watched them both an a flight to New York last week. Both very good, especially Snowden, which is very thought provoking. Just off to make myself a tin foil hat, they know everything, I tell you, everything.
    Bianchi ImpulsoBMC Teammachine SLR02 01Trek Domane AL3“When I see an adult on a bicycle, I do not despair for the future of the human race. “ ~H.G. Wells Edit - "Unless it's a BMX"
  • rick_chasey
    rick_chasey Posts: 72,612
    Nocturnal animals.

I can’t decide if it’s a 2 star of a 4 star film.

I’m not giving much away when I say the film is split into two: a heavily stylised and wooden half with Amy Adams in rich surroundings and an incredibly intense, violent, and gut-wrenching half with Jake Gyllenhaal.

Fundamentally, the Amy Adams half is pretty bad. I can handle stilted dialogue – I like Kubrick films – but this goes beyond that into just plain wooden. It’s incredibly clichéd and adds very little value, except for some respite from the intensity of the Jake Gyllenhaal half.

That half is probably one of the most intense experiences I’ve had in a cinema, and I’ve watched a lot in the cinema. It’s visceral, upsetting and difficult to watch. Very difficult to watch. In that sense, the rubbish bits are needed, just to recover!

Now, for me, that’s something a film has over other art forms – the ability to elicit that kind of emotions and physical response, and so, from that perspective it’s absolutely fantastic.

But conceptually, and this relates to the Amy Adams half of the film, it feels like a teenager’s try-hard attempt at being ‘emotional’ and ‘moving’. It's trite, far fetched, and far, far too obvious. This reflected in the opening sequence of the film which bears no relation to the rest of the film, so feel free to look it up if you’re interested. It was a bit of an eye-roll moment, especially when you consider the Director.

It would almost be better if it were just the Jake Gyllenhaal film on its own, as some kind of extreme intense grindhouse film. But then it wouldn’t be playing in cinemas.

So, I guess it’s therefore a 3 star, but that suggests mediocre and it’s anything but.