Vuelta re-sits for?

Comments

• frenchfighter
    frenchfighter Posts: 30,642
    You watched the Giro right?
    Another absolutely stunning stages when they attacked Contador after his puncture then Contador returned the favour when Landa punctured.
    Contador is the Greatest
  • You watched the Giro right?
    Another absolutely stunning stages when they attacked Contador after his puncture then Contador returned the favour when Landa punctured.

Yes, I remember.
    I also remember the commentary and race chat at the time.
    Your point being?
    "Science is a tool for cheaters". An anonymous French PE teacher.
  • ocdupalais
    ocdupalais Posts: 4,220
    You watched the Giro right?

Yes, I remember.
    I also remember the commentary and race chat at the time.
    Your point being?

I think his point is that those Spaniards are as dirty as those Italians. Can't trust any of 'em.
  • dish_dash
    dish_dash Posts: 5,549
    The only time it might be justified to not attack the yellow jersey is when they're your team mate...
  • frenchfighter
    edited August 2015
    The only time it might be justified to not attack the yellow jersey is when they're your team mate...

:lol:

froome_2282228b.jpg
    Contador is the Greatest
  • dish_dash
    Back to the Vuelta.

Lotto-Soudal's Vuelta line up: Kris Boeckmans, Jasper De Buyst, Bart De Clercq, Thomas De Gendt, Adam Hansen, Maxime Monfort, Jurgen Van den Broeck, Tosh Van der Sande and Jelle Vanendert

Hansen goes for number 13...
  • The only time it might be justified to not attack the yellow jersey is when they're your team mate...

Something dear Mr Froome neglected to consider when stropping about Nibz
  • RichN95.
    RichN95. Posts: 27,134
    Back to the Vuelta.

Lotto-Soudal's Vuelta line up: Kris Boeckmans, Jasper De Buyst, Bart De Clercq, Thomas De Gendt, Adam Hansen, Maxime Monfort, Jurgen Van den Broeck, Tosh Van der Sande and Jelle Vanendert

I wonder if Hansen secretly hopes to have to abandon so he can put a stop to this streak.
    Twitter: @RichN95
  • pinno
    pinno Posts: 51,171
    Hansen should just turn the number upside down.
    seanoconn - gruagach craic!
  • dish_dash
    Back to the Vuelta.

I wonder if Hansen secretly hopes to have to abandon so he can put a stop to this streak.

It's the ultimate re-sit, eh? I wasn't sure he'd make it through the recent tour, or to it for that matter...

What is the record for consecutive GT rides? Seems to be a bit of a moving feast, does he hold it yet?
  • RichN95.
    I'm fairly certain that it's Hansen's record now. I think before him Marino Lejarretta had done 10 or 11 in the late 80s/early 90s
  • dish_dash
    So I did some googling.

Hansen has the joint record for consecutive GT finishes (12) with Bernardo Ruiz. Finishing the Vuelta would put him into the lead.

But Matteo Tosatto at Tinkoff has the record for most participations in a GT - 32 (11 Tours, 12 Giros and 9 Vueltas), finishing 26. Eduardo Chozas also finished 26.

Could be a long way to go for Hansen yet :D
  • FJS
    FJS Posts: 4,820

It's a f***ing boring rule.

Of course Armsrrong wanted that rule. He was usually in yellow by week 2.

Peloton is a jungle, not Eton debating society.

Especially now that teams invest so much in kit. Bikes never used to be all that reliable. Not the same now. Kit is all about advantages - but when you wear yellow you become immune to the downside? Pfft. Man up.

We lack enough attacking as it is. Every time yellow jersey fat fingers his chain shift the entire race is neutralised?

Blergh.
    He didn't need to attack at exactly that moment though, to liven up the race, did he?

I agree about the rule though, and people explaining it as some sort of noble, ancient, fair play unwritten gentleman's agreement. It's not. Most of those so-called unwritten rules' are simply sensible tactical guidelines. None of this 'respect the jersey' b******s.
    Riders don't tend to attack the yellow jersey on the final day in Paris because it's pointless and guaranteed to make enemies.
    Riders don't tend to attack in the feed-zone because it endagers others and is guaranteed to make enemies.
    Riders don't tend to attack when it's all quiet and half the peloton has decided to go for a pee, because it's guaranteed to make enemies.
    Riders don't tend to attack their main rivals when they have a mechanical because it's guaranteed to make enemies.

Nibali's attack didn't break some unwritten fair play rule, but simply didn't make tactical sense (like is often the case with him). He was so far back in the GC that there was no reason for him to attack at that moment; any other moment would have done. As a result he unnecessarily made some enemies (not just Sky, but also other teasm with leaders ahead of him in GC), and risks getting revanche attacks when there's much more at stake for him; when he's actually involved in a grand tour win for instance.
  • mike6
    mike6 Posts: 1,199

Especially now that teams invest so much in kit. Bikes never used to be all that reliable. Not the same now. Kit is all about advantages - but when you wear yellow you become immune to the downside? Pfft. Man up.

We lack enough attacking as it is. Every time yellow jersey fat fingers his chain shift the entire race is neutralised?

Blergh.
    He didn't need to attack at exactly that moment though, to liven up the race, did he?

I agree about the rule though, and people explaining it as some sort of noble, ancient, fair play unwritten gentleman's agreement. It's not. Most of those so-called unwritten rules' are simply sensible tactical guidelines. None of this 'respect the jersey' b******s.
    Riders don't tend to attack the yellow jersey on the final day in Paris because it's pointless and guaranteed to make enemies.
    Riders don't tend to attack in the feed-zone because it endagers others and is guaranteed to make enemies.
    Riders don't tend to attack when it's all quiet and half the peloton has decided to go for a pee, because it's guaranteed to make enemies.
    Riders don't tend to attack their main rivals when they have a mechanical because it's guaranteed to make enemies.

Nibali's attack didn't break some unwritten fair play rule, but simply didn't make tactical sense (like is often the case with him). He was so far back in the GC that there was no reason for him to attack at that moment; any other moment would have done. As a result he unnecessarily made some enemies (not just Sky, but also other teasm with leaders ahead of him in GC), and risks getting revanche attacks when there's much more at stake for him; when he's actually involved in a grand tour win for instance.

This /\. Lets see how much leeway or help Nibs gets the next time its important for him. What goes around comes around.
  • Sigh.
    I wish sometimes we could look beyond the Sky curtain at the bigger picture.

Frenchie brought up the attack on Contador during the Giro.
    Slightly different because Katusha had already begun their downhill attack.
    I didn't really have an issue with that. To me it's always been tough luck if you get caught out when the race is full on. No question.
    However, the subsequent chase by Astana and the verbal agreement to combine to put the boot into Bertie didn't sit well with me.

As I said up thread, if it becomes the norm to look to exploit mechanicals, punctures, even comfy breaks of those likely to figure, won't the integrity of the sport again be called into question?
    "Science is a tool for cheaters". An anonymous French PE teacher.
  • frenchfighter
    Katusha was not already attacking.
    Contador is the Greatest
  • rick_chasey
    rick_chasey Posts: 72,024
    As I said up thread, if it becomes the norm to look to exploit mechanicals, punctures, even comfy breaks of those likely to figure, won't the integrity of the sport again be called into question?

Nah. Why would it? You don't see Rosberg going 'sh!t, Hamilton punctured, better wait for him'. It's sport - luck is a lot to do with it.

Get kit that doesn't break, don't take a p!ss when you could be vulnerable.

You'd incentives bike and kit manufacturers to develop kit that doesn't break too, rather than being 0.01% faster.

Would be much better.

People falling off would be a bit different, ala Tour this year, which seemed a reasonable neutralisation, but broadly speaking if it's not ridic dangerous if you just ride right, get on with it.
  • ocdupalais
    ocdupalais Posts: 4,220

Nah. Why would it? You don't see Rosberg going 'sh!t, Hamilton punctured, better wait for him'. It's sport - luck is a lot to do with it.

Get kit that doesn't break, don't take a p!ss when you could be vulnerable.

You'd incentives bike and kit manufacturers to develop kit that doesn't break too, rather than being 0.01% faster.
    You're the missing the main (and repeated) point: I haven't read anyone denouncing bad luck through mechanicals, crashes, etc, in racing - it's the intentional exploitation of it. In Nibali's case it was blatant and instant. These "gentleman's agreements" about not attacking in feed zones, p1ss breaks, etc have evolved over time because all the riders need to eat and all the rides need to p1ss: it's just practical to have at least one or two occasions in a race where you can do your neccessaries without worrying about chancers. No doubt there were quite a few instances when it first started when there were significant attacks during "comfort breaks" - but some of those dudes racing in the 20's, 30's, 40's were hard as fcuk - I expect they only needed to have to put their winkle away in a hurry a couple of times before someone got a smack in the mouth.

Sounds like Froome wasn't far off doing that to Nibali - twice. Good on him - storming onto the Astana bus on his own - grandi testicoli!
  • timoid.
    timoid. Posts: 3,133

Blergh.

Well put. Nibs will have no favours in the Vuelta. And can't even rely on his team to support him as they'l be trying to make their own mark.

If he'd tried that sheet with Hinault he would have decked him.
    It's a little like wrestling a gorilla. You don't quit when you're tired. You quit when the gorilla is tired.
  • tailwindhome
    tailwindhome Posts: 18,853
    Twitter rumors that Bertie will be doing the Vuelta.
    “New York has the haircuts, London has the trousers, but Belfast has the reason!
  • FocusZing
    FocusZing Posts: 4,373
    Twitter rumors that Bertie will be doing the Vuelta.
    And it is that Sport and Leisure has access to information that assure us that Alberto Contador will be on Tour and also supplies equipment we have ensured that Alberto has already reserved a room at a hotel in Puerto Banus (Málaga), where it will be played the first stage.

And the information match as Alberto has been seen recognizing 9 stages of this Vuelta ending up, located in the Sierra Madrileña, Valencia and northern Spain.

Furthermore, Jesus Hernandez, squire utmost confidence Alberto did not run or Giro and Tour despite being in great condition which ensures that even Alberto you plan on participating in this Vuelta.

Exclusive we told you from Sports and Leisure would be very close to reality and it is speculated that it will be this weekend when it becomes official.

https://translate.google.com/translate?hl=en&sl=es&tl=en&u=www.deporteyocio.es%2F2015%2F08%2Falberto-contador-correra-la-vuelta.html%3Futm_source%3Dtwitterfeed%26utm_medium%3Dtwitter&sandbox=1

Those rumors, as was the case last year, have been taking more and more strength. Recall that now twelve months ago and after his fall in the Tour, Contador remained in doubt until the last moment, but then never hid his desire to fight for the red jersey if he could recover in time its battered knee. This year, however, the rider himself has already announced that the Tour marked the end to his season.
    Given the growing rumors and statements that Contador would say, as we have said, acknowledging key stages of the Tour of Spain, Cycle 21 has made ​​contact with the immediate environment of the corridor to ascertain the veracity of these rumors.
    Was the chief broker own press, Jacinto Vidarte, who asked if can, at this time, confirm or deny the presence of Contador in the Tour of Spain has refused ensuring that all the noise generated in the last days " They are just rumors, "thus denying that Pinto is going to exit Puerto Banus.

https://translate.google.co.uk/translate?sl=es&tl=en&js=y&prev=_t&hl=en&ie=UTF-8&u=www.ciclo21.com%2Fel-entorno-de-contador-sobre-la-vuelta-son-solo-rumores%2F&edit-text=

Unlikely.
  • tailwindhome
    tailwindhome Posts: 18,853
    “New York has the haircuts, London has the trousers, but Belfast has the reason!
  • inseine
    inseine Posts: 5,786
    OK, not all re-sits, but Betancur has been given another chance and i'd like him to do something, though I didn't have high hopes.
    No Kittel
    Chavenel riding the third GT of the year, which is a first for him I think.
  • RichN95.
    Sky team: Froome, Henao the Elder, Thomas, Roche, Nieve, Knees, Kiryienka, Boswell, Puccio.
  • Pleased to see Boswell getting his 1st GT ride
  • The_Boy
    The_Boy Posts: 3,099
    OK, not all re-sits, but Betancur has been given another chance and i'd like him to do something,

Does collecting tickets in the autobus count?
    Team My Man 2018: David gaudu, Pierre Latour, Romain Bardet, Thibaut pinot, Alexandre Geniez, Florian Senechal, Warren Barguil, Benoit Cosnefroy
  • OK, not all re-sits, but Betancur has been given another chance and i'd like him to do something,

Does collecting tickets in the autobus count?

Harsh. But...yeah...
  • frenchfighter
    Movistar team for the Vuelta a España: Nairo Quintana (Col), Alejandro Valverde (Spa), Andrey Amador (CRc), Giovanni Visconti (Ita), Rory Sutherland (Aus), Javi Moreno (Spa), Imanol Erviti (Spa), Fran Ventoso (Spa) and José Joaquín Rojas (Spa).
    Contador is the Greatest
  • TheBigBean
    TheBigBean Posts: 20,453
    Is Cavendish riding?