Stage 21 - Sèvres - Grand Paris Seine Ouest / Paris Champs-É

Comments

• Lanterne_Rogue
    Lanterne_Rogue Posts: 4,091
    Another big crash - several people simply going over as they attempt to slow down behind it.
  • davidof
    davidof Posts: 3,042
    edited July 2015
    Another big crash at the bottom of the Champs (seems to be a bad spot probably due to the speed and corner). Hospitals will be full today.
    BASI Nordic Ski Instructor
    Instagramme
  • bflk
    bflk Posts: 240
    I was curious to know if Archibald is riding? Not heard her name mentioned.

Katie ? no Pearl Izumi werent on the teams entry list.but down for the RideLondon GrandPrix crit next week.

Thanks, bit of a shame.
  • imatfaal
    imatfaal Posts: 2,716
    There was just another crash - two riders were a good 50 years back from the crash but unable to stop; as soon as they even feathered the brakes they were on the floor as well
  • Turfle
    Turfle Posts: 3,762
    Carnage.
  • davidof
    Half the women are out due to accidents. Jaja says girls have pumped their tires up too hard for the cobbles and wet.
    Instagramme
  • Lanterne_Rogue
    There was just another crash - two riders were a good 50 years back from the crash but unable to stop; as soon as they even feathered the brakes they were on the floor as well

Interesting to watch it in slow motion - you can see the edges of the cobbles tugging at the wheels and straightening them up as the riders try to correct their balance. With that and the greasy surface, they've no chance.
  • disgruntledgoat
    disgruntledgoat Posts: 8,957
    Half the women are out due to accidents. Jaja says girls have pumped their tires up too hard for the cobbles and wet.

I stacked it on Haghoek yesterday in exactly the same way. First proper rain in 3 weeks so all the dust turns to grease and they get really slippy. 80 psi would see you right, I reckon
    "In many ways, my story was that of a raging, Christ-like figure who hauled himself off the cross, looked up at the Romans with blood in his eyes and said 'My turn, sock cookers'"

@gietvangent
  • imatfaal
    Water pooled up in places, I notice - if nothing else, it makes it easier to see quite how bumpy the road surface is - I always appreciated that the cobbles made things awkward, but the constant rise and fall of the actual road height is interesting to see.

I think the rain has just redoubled in intensity - I couldn't really see what you meant; but suddenly the standing water is obvious again and I can see what you described very clearly
  • Lanterne_Rogue
    Water pooled up in places, I notice - if nothing else, it makes it easier to see quite how bumpy the road surface is - I always appreciated that the cobbles made things awkward, but the constant rise and fall of the actual road height is interesting to see.

I think the rain has just redoubled in intensity - I couldn't really see what you meant; but suddenly the standing water is obvious again and I can see what you described very clearly

I think it varies across the course, to be honest - I started to doubt what I'd seen after I wrote that comment...
  • davidof
    Van der Breggen has a good break now in the last 5km.
    Instagramme
  • davidof
    Big crash on the white lines of the zebra crossing, PFP down.
    Instagramme
  • adr82
    adr82 Posts: 4,002
    Var der Breggen looking good for this
  • adr82
    That was a solid effort, 6k+ on her own?
  • Lanterne_Rogue
    Bloody hell - sprinters teams get whittled down by the crashes and a long-range attack wins it. Didn't look like there was a huge amount of people wiling to take on the chase though.
  • milton50
    milton50 Posts: 3,856
    Great solo win.

We're bound to see a few crashes in the men's race. The cobbles are soaking wet.
  • gsk82
    gsk82 Posts: 3,470
    Have ITV stolen a Marianne Vos synth from Channel 4's Humans?
    "Unfortunately these days a lot of people don’t understand the real quality of a bike" Ernesto Colnago
  • adr82
    Great solo win.

We're bound to see a few crashes in the men's race. The cobbles are soaking wet.
    Wonder if it might also tempt some of them into making many attempts to go for a long one themselves, in the hope that crashes (or at least the risk of crashing) will help them stay away.
  • davidof
    edited July 2015
    CK2B7rOVAAAjSCM.png

CK2B-DMWwAAMaHJ.png

CK2CYu8XAAAMAeg.jpg

CK1-cOFWEAAM1G1.jpg:large

CK17QuRW8AAtNgt.png:large

CK1yObUXAAA1fHB.jpg:large
    Instagramme
  • above_the_cows
    above_the_cows Posts: 11,406
    That was a great win by van der Breggen.

Lovely weather in Paris.
    Correlation is not causation.
  • above_the_cows
    I like Ashley's trousers.
  • mfin
    mfin Posts: 6,729
    There's having a face for radio and there's having a punchable one, Gary Imlach has both.
  • imatfaal
    It is again such a shame that Tony Martin is not in the mens' race - I would have loved to have seen him try that. Rohan Denis to top and tail the TdF?
  • disgruntledgoat
    Sporza have gone full Eurosport. The womens national BMX championships are currently taking centre stage. Run as a time trial because its so wet
    "In many ways, my story was that of a raging, Christ-like figure who hauled himself off the cross, looked up at the Romans with blood in his eyes and said 'My turn, sock cookers'"

@gietvangent
  • above_the_cows
    Valverde has at least had a shave for his trip to the podium.
  • adr82
    Valverde has at least had a shave for his trip to the podium.
    He keeps staring into the camera while answering the reporter...
  • disgruntledgoat
    Sagan a sponsors dream there

"SPecial bike for the wet cobbles?"

"No, normal, normal, Specialized."

@gietvangent
  • Lichtblick
    Lichtblick Posts: 1,434
    Chris Boardman ‏@Chris_Boardman · 14m14 minutes ago
    Oily wet cobbles await riders in Paris, only the second time I've ever seen it. Crossing the line for the first time classed as finishing.
    Interesting, I didn't know they actually had a provision for this in the rules:
    b) Specific provisions
    The race management and Stewards’ Committee may have to take the following measures for the finish of the 21st stage on the Champs-Élysées in Paris:
    • if the road surface of the Champs-Élysées has become slippery before the riders reach it, then the times may be taken for the first crossing of the finish line;
    • if the road surface of the Champs-Élysées becomes slippery after the riders have already begun racing on it, then the times may be taken at the next crossing of the finishing line. In both cases, the finish will be maintained. In both cases, riders and sports managers will be informed immediately. In any event, riders must compete all of the circuits of the Champs-Élysées to be ranked at the final finish
    Seems sensible enough.

In any event, riders must compete all of the circuits of the Champs-Élysées to be ranked at the final finish

Can someone explain this please? Riders can do the last nine laps slowly to avoid crashing on cobbles but must finish all nine to avoid a DNF?
  • disgruntledgoat
    Bardet wins the overall combativity prize. A sop to the French

De Gendt was robbed!

@gietvangent
  • adr82
    Bardet wins the overall combativity prize. A sop to the French

De Gendt was robbed!
    Does this make up for it? (letour.fr ticker):
    Thomas De Gendt the number 1 breakaway rider
    French daily newspaper L'Equipe has counted the number of kilometers covered by each rider since the start in Utrecht. Thomas De Gendt (Lotto-Soudal) tops the list with 679km, ahead of Serge Pauwels (MTN-Qhubeka), 518, and Perrig Quémeneur (Europcar), 508.