Are sky clean or not?

Comments

• sherer
    sherer Posts: 2,460
    Can I be a deceptaSkycon rather than a Skybot. Which one of us is Megan Fox :mrgreen:
  • rick_chasey
    rick_chasey Posts: 75,660
    Is this the longest thread for an OP with the shortest spell as an active forum member? 74 pages for a few hours of being on here

It's very difficult to type when you're locked in a padded room.

Speaking from experience? :wink:

Would explain the Kirby love.
  • Paul 8v
    Paul 8v Posts: 5,458
    I think it's just the cool thing to do to hate Sky because they are successful. If they were rubbish, everyone would think they were great...

I don't think this forum is generally anti-Sky by the way. There have been some rabid nutcases over the years though, they usually come out in June/July and then disappear...
    Of course it's cool to hate Sky, I mean, for example, look at this picture of Pete Kennaugh:

CRdW0bGWcAAYKkc.jpg

None of us will ever be as cool as him in that pic, so what is the natural reaction of nutters like Clinic regulars going to be?

TBH the haters just hate success.
    Weird to see a cyclist smoking these days. He does look cool though.
  • slim_boy_fat
    slim_boy_fat Posts: 1,810
    Is this the longest thread for an OP with the shortest spell as an active forum member? 74 pages for a few hours of being on here

Nothing can explain the Kirby love :lol:
  • joelsim
    joelsim Posts: 7,552

He needs to quit the jokes on Twatter tho
  • rick_chasey
    rick_chasey Posts: 75,660

He needs to quit the jokes on Twatter tho

That's where you draw the line?????
  • I think it's just the cool thing to do to hate Sky because they are successful. If they were rubbish, everyone would think they were great...

I don't think this forum is generally anti-Sky by the way. There have been some rabid nutcases over the years though, they usually come out in June/July and then disappear...
    Of course it's cool to hate Sky, I mean, for example, look at this picture of Pete Kennaugh:

CRdW0bGWcAAYKkc.jpg

None of us will ever be as cool as him in that pic, so what is the natural reaction of nutters like Clinic regulars going to be?

Surely it's another one of Sir Dave's Marginal Gains TM

Here's some good arguments for:

http://forum.cyclingnews.com/viewtopic.php?f=20&t=11689
  • philbar72
    philbar72 Posts: 2,229
    Maca, I sense you really hate management consultants.

not just him... if of course he does...
  • I think it's just the cool thing to do to hate Sky because they are successful. If they were rubbish, everyone would think they were great...

CRdW0bGWcAAYKkc.jpg

Surely it's another one of Sir Dave's Marginal Gains TM

Here's some good arguments for:

http://forum.cyclingnews.com/viewtopic.php?f=20&t=11689

A doctor once prescribed Merckx 2 cigarettes a day as an 18yr old amateur.
    "In many ways, my story was that of a raging, Christ-like figure who hauled himself off the cross, looked up at the Romans with blood in his eyes and said 'My turn, sock cookers'"

@gietvangent
  • Macaloon
    Macaloon Posts: 5,545
    Maca, I sense you really hate management consultants.

not just him... if of course he does...

I'm a luddite. I prefer sport to be about humans: art over science. I'm particularly allergic in this case because (in my experience of working with exceptional management consultants) his expertise is extremely narrow, and cycling's the last sport I have any interest in.
    ...a rare 100% loyal Pro Race poster. A poster boy for the community.
  • CuthbertC
    CuthbertC Posts: 172
    Landis on Froome:
    “We know the script. We’ve seen this before. We also know the ending, which is fine. You just enjoy it, and then the movie’s over and you start a new one”

http://www.cyclingnews.com/features/hel ... de-france/
  • FocusZing
    FocusZing Posts: 4,373
    ^ "The 40-year-old knows that timing the visit to coincide with the end of the Tour will be viewed by many as simple guerrilla marketing for his new Colorado-based marijuana business, the aforementioned Floyd’s of Leadville."

No agenda then!?
  • cougie
    cougie Posts: 22,512
    He's bound to say that though isn't he.

Where's the proof Floyd? just because you cheated doesn't mean everyone is a cheat.
  • jscl
    jscl Posts: 1,015
    CuthbertC wrote:
    Landis on Froome:
    “We know the script. We’ve seen this before. We also know the ending, which is fine. You just enjoy it, and then the movie’s over and you start a new one”

http://www.cyclingnews.com/features/hel ... de-france/

There is no cheat more bitter than Landis.

He's unable to accept that times have changed and the sport is done differently now. Basically it's a matter of 'If I couldn't do it without cheating, then nobody else can.'

He's a twit.
    Follow me on Twitter - http://twitter.com/scalesjason - All posts are strictly my personal view.
  • RichN95.
    RichN95. Posts: 27,241
    Landis is just appealing to his fans - the self-appointed anti-doping crusaders of the internet. They'll lap this up, call him a straight-talking hero and he knows that.
    He's been out of cycling for a decade. His views on the current state cycling are barely any more relevant than ours.
    Twitter: @RichN95
  • salsiccia1
    salsiccia1 Posts: 3,725
    RichN95 wrote:
    Landis is just appealing to his fans - the self-appointed anti-doping crusaders of the internet. They'll lap this up, call him a straight-talking hero and he knows that.
    He's been out of cycling for a decade. His views on the current state cycling are barely any more relevant than ours.

Yep. If he said he thought Froome was winning clean he'd be derided by the tinfoil hat brigade and be accused of selling out.
    It's only a bit of sport, Mun. Relax and enjoy the racing.
  • CuthbertC
    CuthbertC Posts: 172
    RichN95 wrote:

He competed and doped at the highest level. He knows the difference doping makes and how implausible it is to suggest that a clean rider could win the Tour three times whilst competing against other blood dopers. I'd say these facts alone make his views far more relevant than any member of this forum.

Landis is merely calling a spade a spade, just as any other rational and unbiased person looking at the facts in relation to Sky and Froome would.
  • salsiccia1
    CuthbertC wrote:
    RichN95 wrote:

He competed and doped at the highest level. He knows the difference doping makes and how implausible it is to suggest that a clean rider could win the Tour three times whilst competing against other blood dopers. I'd say these facts alone make his views far more relevant than any member of this forum.

Landis is merely calling a spade a spade, just as any other rational and unbiased person looking at the facts in relation to Sky and Froome would.

Must... resist...
  • bobmcstuff
    bobmcstuff Posts: 11,398
    Whilst competing against other blood dopers. Who's getting away with that then?
  • iainf72
    iainf72 Posts: 15,784
    He was hanging out with Vayer. Of the all the ways Floyd could disappoint me that was the worst.

People judge by their own standards. Floyd can't conceive winning the TdF without emptying a bag of blood into his arms. But it's all he knows.

As someone who's been hating Sky for 7 years (hated them from the idea ;) ) , there is much to dislike but no evidence of anything dodgy.
    Fckin' Quintana … that creep can roll, man.
  • joelsim
    joelsim Posts: 7,552
    CuthbertC wrote:
    RichN95 wrote:

I see you've been let out on day release.

Wrong forum fella. Let's have this discussion as and when Froome is implicated in anything.
  • Matthewfalle
    Matthewfalle Posts: 17,380
    Froomedog:

2010 Giro D'Italia - disqualified for holding onto a police motorbike after getting dropped from the gripper to, 5th in Commonwealth Games TT.

2012: 2nd T de F.

Wow. Marginal gains, eh ...... Must get me one of those Pinnarello bikes .......
    Postby team47b » Sun Jun 28, 2015 11:53 am

De Sisti wrote:
    This is one of the silliest threads I've come across. :lol:

Recognition at last Matthew, well done!, a justified honour :D
    smithy21 wrote:

He's right you know.
  • bobmcstuff
    bobmcstuff Posts: 11,398
    Froomedog:

2010 Giro D'Italia - disqualified for holding onto a police motorbike after getting dropped from the gripper to, 5th in Commonwealth Games TT.

Wow. Marginal gains, eh ...... Must get me one of those Pinnarello bikes .......
    See I know you're on the wind up...
  • tangled_metal
    tangled_metal Posts: 4,021
    If Froome and sky are dirty, prove it! Send your proof to the relevant anti doping authorities and I'll wait for the big news story. Unless you do that I'll take it you're full of it.
  • RichN95.
    RichN95. Posts: 27,241
    People are entitled to their opinions. However, they are not entitled to their certainty in those opinions when not supported by a substantial weight of evidence.
    Twitter: @RichN95
  • Matthewfalle
    No one has stated any thing though - just discussed.

Marginal gains and a healthy dose of jingoism ....

De Sisti wrote:

smithy21 wrote:

He's right you know.
  • Matthewfalle
    But on a serious note - no one suspects anything even a little bit suss?

De Sisti wrote:

smithy21 wrote:

He's right you know.
  • argyllflyer
    argyllflyer Posts: 893
    edited July 2016
    Froomedog:

He worked on how not to empty the tank at the wrong moment. That will be a gain, marginal or otherwise. His detractors seldom take into consideration that he started riding competitively as a road cyclist years later than the guys he now races against and that meant learning racecraft while losing races to them. No Juniors or U23s to hide his competitive naivety.

Just two 'of age' comparisons:

Froome joined Barloworld aged 22 with limited experience of racing prior to that and nothing of riding on European roads and in a large bunch. Cav was onto his 2nd year racing at the top level by then having raced at Continental level for two years prior to that and raced for years before that. Although late to the sport, van Avermaet raced competitively from aged 19 then at 20 had a year at Continental and at 21 a year Pro Tour going into the 2008 season.
  • salsiccia1
    But on a serious note - no one suspects anything even a little bit suss?

Not overly suss. The reasons for Froome's improvements are well documented and not seriously disputed. He's now able to make full and intelligent use of what has always been a huge engine. I'd never put the house on any cyclist being clean, but I don't have any particular concerns over Sky and Froome.

In fairness, I really like Froome because of his demeanour and personality off the bike, but that doesn't mean I'm blind to the possibility of dodginess. I just don't think there is any.
  • Do I find his sudden transformation into the leading Tour rider of the last 4 years, suss? Yes, yes I do. But I'll settle for waiting to see if anything comes out rather than go screeching Doper Doper around the internet non-stop.

Better things to do with my life, for one thing.