Are sky clean or not?

Comments

• RichN95.
    RichN95. Posts: 27,241
    Digger banging on about Newsnight pulling a peice by Kimmage and substituting one by Sayeed. It's a conspiracy, you see.

The beautiful thing is that an intern researcher, doing ass-covering background on Kimmage, probably came across Digger's cesspit of a timeline, and reported that a less controversial figure than Kimmage may be more balanced. Their strident zoomerism stands out a mile if you're not deep in the sport.
    Or they intended to put out the pre-prepared film that we saw followed by a discussion but the cut the discussion as other stories developed and left insufficient time. Happens all the time.
    Twitter: @RichN95
  • disgruntledgoat
    disgruntledgoat Posts: 8,957
    If my stuff is still sharp, we're now into the "They're riding worse deliberately to allay suspicion whilst still somehow dominant" phase...
    "In many ways, my story was that of a raging, Christ-like figure who hauled himself off the cross, looked up at the Romans with blood in his eyes and said 'My turn, sock cookers'"

@gietvangent
  • slim_boy_fat
    slim_boy_fat Posts: 1,810
    Perfect example of the retardedness on twitter.
    ive seen nothing to make me believe they are clean. nor anyone else for that matter.

It's defo a case of guilty until proved innocent for these nutters.
  • norvernrob
    norvernrob Posts: 1,448
    If my stuff is still sharp, we're now into the "They're riding worse deliberately to allay suspicion whilst still somehow dominant" phase...

Exact words from one foil hat merchant talking about Froome:

"Pretending to be weak so less people suspect him"

:D
  • disgruntledgoat
    I also need to ask, is there a reason Walsh is persona non grata anymore, other than not thinking sky are the worst?
    "In many ways, my story was that of a raging, Christ-like figure who hauled himself off the cross, looked up at the Romans with blood in his eyes and said 'My turn, sock cookers'"

@gietvangent
  • No_Ta_Doctor
    No_Ta_Doctor Posts: 14,535
    I also need to ask, is there a reason Walsh is persona non grata anymore, other than not thinking sky are the worst?

He's a corporate shill, in Murdoch's pocket, a cog in the great Sky PR machine. (Yes that's the same PR machine they always claim has grit in the works).
    Warning No formatter is installed for the format
  • sherer
    sherer Posts: 2,460

Yes the old win and you dope, get beat and you dope but aren't on it that day.

With nibs and Quintana both ahead they must both be doping.

In other news it was a great stage today, in the end that's what is important to me
  • mm1
    mm1 Posts: 1,063

He's a corporate shill, in Murdoch's pocket, a cog in the great Sky PR machine. (Yes that's the same PR machine they always claim has grit in the works).

It's personal between Walsh, Kimmage and Digger not least because they're compatriots, but yes having done the actual investigative journalism that helped to expose Armstrong Walsh is now a patsy.
  • mm1
    mm1 Posts: 1,063

Exact words from one foil hat merchant talking about Froome:

"Pretending to be weak so less people suspect him"

:D

"Fewer" people surely.
  • iainf72
    iainf72 Posts: 15,784
    I'm tempted to start a Kickstarter to get Rendell to turn up on Digger's doorstep with camera crew and start asking him questions.

Reckon it would be tremendous value
    Fckin' Quintana … that creep can roll, man.
  • slim_boy_fat
    I'm tempted to start a Kickstarter to get Rendell to turn up on Digger's doorstep with camera crew and start asking him questions.

I'm in! I would love to see some of these muppets under the same scrutiny they put some of the riders under. Just paid a visit to the other place and my god it's like a parallel dimension. Some of the stuff they bang on about is just laughable and wouldn't stand up to any scrutiny yet they are absolutely sold on it.

The worrying thing is that by the laws of probability some of those people will be doctors, nurses, lawyers, your bank manager, cops, etc. They won't all be loons with nothing better to do.
  • disgruntledgoat

I'm in! I would love to see some of these muppets under the same scrutiny they put some of the riders under. Just paid a visit to the other place and my god it's like a parallel dimension. Some of the stuff they bang on about is just laughable and wouldn't stand up to any scrutiny yet they are absolutely sold on it.

The worrying thing is that by the laws of probability some of those people will be doctors, nurses, lawyers, your bank manager, cops, etc. They won't all be loons with nothing better to do.

Just look on it like YouTube comments... whilst they're doing that, they aren't interacting with normal people/saying lizards run the world/blaming the joos for 9/11. Its a win for humanity

@gietvangent
  • morstar
    morstar Posts: 6,190
    I'd have thought the way the race has panned out lends strength to the idea that Sky's training is the defining difference. Early in the race they are very strong because they know how to get the absolute best out of their riders. As the race and fatigue wear on, simple physiology takes precedence more and more. Froome can no longer stick with a gifted climber and G drops out of contention.
    Add a 4th week and you've got a war of attrition.
    People do realise there will still be winners in a guaranteed no doping event?
  • I'd have thought the way the race has panned out lends strength to the idea that Sky's training is the defining difference. Early in the race they are very strong because they know how to get the absolute best out of their riders. As the race and fatigue wear on, simple physiology takes precedence more and more. Froome can no longer stick with a gifted climber and G drops out of contention.
    Add a 4th week and you've got a war of attrition.
    People do realise there will still be winners in a guaranteed no doping event?

I've always been suspicious because of the strength of the whole team, but you make a good point, they did lose their sparkle somewhat as time went on - maybe they just came really well prepared .... :?
  • Think Alan Farrell's opinion piece in The Sunday Times today is probably the best article I read throughout this Tour.

Couldn't agree more with his comment saying Ross Tucker should stay well away clear from the cyber-bullies.

A pity Farrell is no longer involved in cycling.
  • joelsim
    joelsim Posts: 7,552
    I've tweeted Vayer a couple of times asking when they are going to accuse Quintana, like they have done with Froomedog. It's fallen on deaf ears, it's almost as if Vayer was just using Froome to get himself publicity, but surely it can't possibly be that.

I wasn't really a Sky/Froome fan before the Tour, but I am now after all this vile abuse. Fack 'em!
  • No_Ta_Doctor
    No_Ta_Doctor Posts: 14,535
    I've tweeted Vayer a couple of times asking when they are going to accuse Quintana, like they have done with Froomedog. It's fallen on deaf ears, it's almost as if Vayer was just using Froome to get himself publicity, but surely it can't possibly be that.

I wasn't really a Sky/Froome fan before the Tour, but I am now after all this vile abuse. Fack 'em!

I still don't actually like Froome, and I still have a fair amount of sympathy for those that dislike the Sky set-up. But I've got a huge amount of respect for Froome's Tour and Sky's riding.
    Warning No formatter is installed for the format
  • durhamwasp
    durhamwasp Posts: 1,247
    The shit Froome and Sky have put up with has been horrendous. Would a French rider (on sky) have endured this while in yellow?

Quintana and Nibali with the biggest stage time-gap victories, but almost nothing said compared to Froomes victory.

Well done Froome.
    http://www.snookcycling.wordpress.com - Reports on Cingles du Mont Ventoux, Alpe D'Huez, Galibier, Izoard, Tourmalet, Paris-Roubaix Sportive & Tour of Flanders Sportive, Amstel Gold Xperience, Vosges, C2C, WOTR routes....
  • MrT
    MrT Posts: 260
    Just got back from hols.....almost literally...apart from wading through some of this. L'Equipe compared Brailsford to Frankenstein today...sorry yesterday and then got some quotes from Kimmage to add to the pot. Have to say....having seen two stages and a start as well as lots of France 3 and 2 coverage...whole thing really stirred up by them....Jalabert....Vasseur and Gerard on velo club...whose usually pretty positive....then excuse this....vast amounts of back-pedalling but all too late. French is a bit pigeon....but good enough to nearly lead to a fight after some french guy on Beille began shouting Dopage at the very first Sky car to appear. When I suggested that darling Virenque most definitely was it was like I'd spat on the tricolore. We did make up...but no kissing...and he agreed that the French don't like domination and would prefer a stylish loser...daren't say this and after Bardet and Pinot it was the only word I heard....They want panache...or with accent ..Shandy
  • Macaloon
    Macaloon Posts: 5,545
    ....but good enough to nearly lead to a fight after some french guy on Beille began shouting Dopage at the very first Sky car to appear.

Did he not know who you were?
    ...a rare 100% loyal Pro Race poster. A poster boy for the community.
  • Macaloon
    Macaloon Posts: 5,545
    BBC doing Vox pop on the Champs to cover doping allegations against Sky on the Today Program 8:10 political slot. Now interviewing Sallet. Total w@nkers.

It's terrible when the beeb cover something you know a little about.
    ...a rare 100% loyal Pro Race poster. A poster boy for the community.
  • sherer
    well the team had a wobble ( so did Porte on Sunday :-)) , as did Froome so it wasn't a massively dominant win.

if he went away on every climb I would say it was doping but looks like any time in gained in the Pyrenees he lost in the Alps. Anyone got the exact figures ?

Without the time gain in the first week this would have been a very very close tour. I'm taking that as a sign the sport is getting cleaner
  • slim_boy_fat
    well the team had a wobble ( so did Porte on Sunday :-)) , as did Froome so it wasn't a massively dominant win.

if he went away on every climb I would say it was doping but looks like any time in gained in the Pyrenees he lost in the Alps. Anyone got the exact figures ?

Without the time gain in the first week this would have been a very very close tour. I'm taking that as a sign the sport is getting cleaner
    Quintana put time into Froome on the uphill bits overall.
  • Sirius631
    Sirius631 Posts: 991
    All considered evidence points to Sky being clean.

The 'evidence' presented by the French physiologist, which was meant to prove Froome's performance was illegally enhanced, was obtained using a mathematical formula that has not passed peer review for accuracy.

Sky's hiring policy does not allow previously banned riders to be members of the team. They famously parted company with riders and staff members who, although not banned, admitted to historic use of performance enhancing drugs and illegal techniques. It wouldn't have looked out of place if Sky had allowed formed banned riders to ride for them, as have many other teams.

David Walsh, Armstrong's nemesis, said that within three years of Lance's rise to prominence he heard from six of his team mates that Armstrong used banned drugs and techniques. Three years into Froome's high performances, David Walsh has stated that nobody, including those that Sky has fired, have said anything against Froome.
    To err is human, but to make a real balls up takes a super computer.
  • sherer

Thanks for that. So for all his dominance he didn't actually make up any time. Thought it was mainly down to the first week.

Wonder if the French would be so up in arms if they had actually challenged for the GC this year. Think after last year they got a bit carried away and so want to blame their lack of a challenge on doping
  • MrT
    MrT Posts: 260
    Watching French TV what's interesting is they want their guys to do well but seem to have resigned themselves to not winning the thing overall. It's a bit like our media was with Henman...an heroic? but noble loser....Speaking of tennis they were double whammied when they began moaning about Sky's dominance and Froome.....then were beaten in the Davis cup by the Brits ( Scots).
    Gallopin who was up there early doors barely got a look in....riding for Lotto.....yet Barguil and Giant mentioned every day. Best quote was Quintana after the Thomas incident....clearly fishing for an..." Oh well that's racing....he simply called him an idiot....Barguil not Thomas.
  • adr82
    adr82 Posts: 4,002

Thanks for that. So for all his dominance he didn't actually make up any time. Thought it was mainly down to the first week.
    When you say "first week", are you just talking about the echelons on stage 2? Because Quintana also lost time to Froome in the ITT, the TTT, at Huy, at La Pierre-Saint-Martin and even that second on the line at Mende.

It's interesting to speculate about, but I don't think you can look back after the event and assume that the remaining 2 and a bit weeks would have played out exactly the same minus the time Quintana lost on stage 2. The race would have gone a different way. Maybe Quintana would have gone on to win, maybe Froome would have attacked more than he did and put more time into him before the Alps. Impossible to know either way.
  • StillGoing
    StillGoing Posts: 5,211
    It would require a cover up of biblical proportions for Sky to be getting away with doping. Enough past riders and staff have come and gone to have been impossible to keep it under wraps. In that, are some past employees who might have a real grudge against Sky to be ready to tell anyone who would listen about the ins and outs within Sky, warts and all. Plus, the sponsors, Sky, have said they will not stand for any doping on any scale or they will withdraw their support for the team. All in, it makes them clean in my book.
    I ride a bike. Doesn't make me green or a tree hugger. I drive a car too.
  • philwint
    philwint Posts: 763
    ...some past employees who might have a real grudge against Sky to be ready to tell anyone who would listen about the ins and outs within Sky, warts and all

I hadn't considered that before. but, given SDBs well documented sacking of anyone he thought wan't giving 100% I bet there are tens, if not a hundred, people out there who have a very real reason to bear a grudge. The fact not a single one has come forward with any allegations is very telling.