Tour de France 2015 Stage 2 Utrecht - Zeeland *SPOILERS*

Comments

• above_the_cows
    above_the_cows Posts: 11,406
    This stage has broken this thread.
    Correlation is not causation.
  • frenchfighter
    frenchfighter Posts: 30,642
    So ridiculous that Quintana has to lose all this time to some stupid crash.

Ridiculous weather in this part of the World.

Best thing about this race so far is Tinkoff's kit. Warming on me, especially in these conditions.

Looks like Cavendish will have 0 opposition in the sprint if it continues like this.

Carnage as Nibali tries to bridge solo given the gap to them is now about 45 seconds.
    Contador is the Greatest
  • adr82
    adr82 Posts: 4,002

Would it still be ridiculous if Quintana and Froome were in opposite positions here? Just curious...
  • tailwindhome
    tailwindhome Posts: 19,310
    Cancellara in Yellow tonight?
    “New York has the haircuts, London has the trousers, but Belfast has the reason!
  • blazing_saddles
    blazing_saddles Posts: 22,706
    Well, this is turning out to be quite interesting.
    Two of the big four, plus Piti and all the French are going to take a hit.
    The only question is: How big?

This server is shiite. Taking ages with all the traffic.
    "Science is a tool for cheaters". An anonymous French PE teacher.
  • ben@31
    ben@31 Posts: 2,327
    Nibali 45 seconds back
    Quintana over 1 minute back
    "The Prince of Wales is now the King of France" - Calton Kirby
  • frenchfighter
    edited July 2015
    dupe
    Contador is the Greatest
  • FJS
    FJS Posts: 4,820
    Amazing stage - Quintana and Valverde already a minute down. Nibali has only Fuglsang and LottoNL to help
  • FocusZing
    FocusZing Posts: 4,373

Sagan keeping Contador out of trouble.
  • adr82
    Composition of the first group: Froome, Stannard, Thomas (Sky), Contador, Bennati, Rogers, Sagan (Tinkoff), Van Garderen, Oss, Quinziato, Schär, Van Avermaet, Wyss (BMC), Gallopin, Greipel, Sieberg (Lotto-Soudal), Barguil, Dumoulin (Giant), Kwiatkowski, Cavendish, Martin, Renshaw, Stybar, Uran (Etixx), Cancellara (Trek), Koren (Cannondale).
  • FocusZing

Sagan keeping Contador out of trouble.
  • FJS
    A minute behind for Nibali, Valverde, Quintana, Pinot.... could be losing the TdF here
  • rozzer32
    rozzer32 Posts: 3,919
    Great stage.

Quintana looking like he'd rather be anywhere else but on the bike.

Now shoot me down if I'm wrong but we all know that you have to be in the first 20/30 riders of the peloton to stay safe. And it's even more important during the first few days. We are always told his so why do riders still get caught out by this?
    ***** Pro Tour Pundit Champion 2020, 2018, 2017 & 2011 *****
  • milton50
    milton50 Posts: 3,856
    Quintana and Nibali groups join up. They both have team mates with them so this is where the gap might begin to fall.
  • JackPozzi
    JackPozzi Posts: 1,191
    Great stage.

Now shoot me down if I'm wrong but we all know that you have to be in the first 20/30 riders of the peloton to stay safe. And it's even more important during the first few days. We are always told his so why do riders still get caught out by this?

It get's a bit tricky when there are 100+ riders all trying to be in the top 20!
  • FocusZing
    A minute behind for Nibali, Valverde, Quintana, Pinot.... could be losing the TdF here

No it to damn early for that talk.
  • adr82
    Great stage.

Because you have to maintain a continuous effort to stay in the first 20 riders, and if you switch off at the wrong time or just aren't strong enough to stay there, you can rapidly find yourself on the wrong side of a split.
  • FJS
    Great stage.

Because there's only space for about 20 to 30 riders in the first 20/30 riders
  • above_the_cows
    This stage is cracking. This site is lacking.

Violet Beauregard drilling it on the front of the second group!
  • squired
    squired Posts: 1,153
    These Eurosport segments are getting annoying. It is fine having them early in the coverage when nothing is happening, but not when they are racing full-on.
  • FocusZing
    I didn't think GCs would be twonked on this stage.
  • disgruntledgoat
    disgruntledgoat Posts: 8,957
    TJVG in the front group? Only reason for BMC to ride, shirley?
    "In many ways, my story was that of a raging, Christ-like figure who hauled himself off the cross, looked up at the Romans with blood in his eyes and said 'My turn, sock cookers'"

@gietvangent
  • frenchfighter

Would it still be ridiculous if Quintana and Froome were in opposite positions here? Just curious...

If it was caused by a crash (luck), yes. If it was caused by quality riding, no.
    Contador is the Greatest
  • rozzer32
    rozzer32 Posts: 3,919
    Great stage.

Because you have to maintain a continuous effort to stay in the first 20 riders, and if you switch off at the wrong time or just aren't strong enough to stay there, you can rapidly find yourself on the wrong side of a split.

But these are meant to be the best riders in the world. You shouldn't be switching off, they have radios and team mates to keep them up the front. Surely you'd want to put the effort in to make sure you stay there or like we see today you can easily lose a lot of time.
    ***** Pro Tour Pundit Champion 2020, 2018, 2017 & 2011 *****
  • milton50
    milton50 Posts: 3,856
    Great stage.

By definition not everyone can be in the first 20 or 30 riders and I think Quintana was held up rather than dropped? But, yeh, some people have been caught out by not being sharp enough.
  • emadden
    emadden Posts: 2,431
    I'd put money on it that this will either come back together or at least have a gap no bigger than 20seconds. Peloton is big enough now to chase effectively
    www.dotcycling.com
  • Macaloon
    Macaloon Posts: 5,545
    That front group is splittable. I'd be keeping a close eye on Tony Martin.
    ...a rare 100% loyal Pro Race poster. A poster boy for the community.
  • adr82
    Great stage.

But these are meant to be the best riders in the world. You shouldn't be switching off, they have radios and team mates to keep them up the front. Surely you'd want to put the effort in to make sure you stay there or like we see today you can easily lose a lot of time.
    As you said yourself, everyone knows the dangers yet it still happens - the obvious conclusion to draw is that staying at the front is easier said than done.
  • RichN95.
    RichN95. Posts: 27,241
    A potential triple win for Etixx - stage win for Cavendish, Yellow Jersey for Martin and GC gains for Uran/Kwiatkowski
    Twitter: @RichN95
  • above_the_cows
    MY MAN the world champ having words with BMC.