TdF Stage 1 - Utrecht-Utrecht *SPOILERS*

14567810»

Comments

• adr82
    adr82 Posts: 4,002
    Dennis has a nice smile.

And Cancellara really was playing with the spectator fire on most of the corners. Lucky the fans were respectful and full of support.
    49.jpg
    Is the way to be respectful really to lean out as far as you can with your eye glued to a camera that will distort your perception of distance...?
  • frenchfighter
    frenchfighter Posts: 30,642
    There is always one or two but I didn't see one disrespectful or ignorant fan during the whole time I was watching.
    Contador is the Greatest
  • kingstonian
    kingstonian Posts: 2,847
    Good photo of him taking that corner
  • rick_chasey
    rick_chasey Posts: 75,661
    There is always one or two but I didn't see one disrespectful or ignorant fan during the whole time I was watching.

Obviously. I was moderating.
  • RideOnTime
    RideOnTime Posts: 4,712

looks a bit like Froome... / Winston Churchill.
    all babies have a hint of Churchill
  • frenchfighter
    Oh Gruber.

11376438_1606133822993575_318516365_n.jpg
    Contador is the Greatest
  • frenchfighter
    tumblr_nr04mhLQLM1ruscp7o1_1280.jpg

tumblr_nr03zzFW1Y1ruscp7o1_1280.jpg

Looks a bit chubby doesn't he. Must have had some pies and a beer as consolation for getting pumped in the Giro.
    tumblr_nr03janK1d1ruscp7o1_1280.jpg
    Contador is the Greatest
  • dinyull
    dinyull Posts: 2,979
    Was I the only one to notice Contador not wearing overshoes?

Why would he choose not to wear them?
  • frenchfighter
    He didn't wear them in the Giro either for some reason. Not sure why, maybe the heat on this stage. Either way, would have been better had he done so the awful black shoes and grey socks were covered.
    Contador is the Greatest
  • Crozza
    Crozza Posts: 991
    Dennis has a nice smile.

And Cancellara really was playing with the spectator fire on most of the corners. Lucky the fans were respectful and full of support.
    49.jpg

I'm hoping that camera on the bike behind is going to be replaced with an RPG on the Alpe stage

purely as a deterrent of course
  • dinyull
    dinyull Posts: 2,979
    Why would he choose not to wear them?
    Explained here: (search page for “Contador”)

“Who knew there was much to be gained aerodynamically with shoes? Again, “narrow is aero,” and these shoes are very trim and contour-hugging around the heels. In fact, Specialized has wind-tunnel results demonstrating that trim shaping makes significantly more aerodynamic difference than shoe covers, and that in most cases shoe covers do not actually improve aerodynamics.”
    This is without shoe covers, but with “Warp Sleeve” lace covers.

He didn't have the lace covers on either, the boa's and straps were visible. Even if those shoes are as good as claimed I don't see how you'd be missing anything by wearing covers over the top. Would hot feet raise core temperature?
  • manic_esso
    manic_esso Posts: 92
    A question for the Dutch-centric posters on here...

Had a great day watching it about two thirds the way round; didn't bother taking any photos as I've done that in the past and tbh I think it compromises your enjoyment.

Obviously all the Dutch riders got the biggest cheers, and the Belgies got well cheered as well as big Tone.

However by far the biggest cheer was for Laurens Ten Dam. The crowd started singing his name almost before his minute man went past. What's that all about ? Was it the same at other sections of the course ?

By the way it was phenomenally hot. I'm not a hot weather person and it was a struggle at times. I had 2 litres of water, two tins of Amstel and 3 pints of Grolsch and didn't go to the loo until an hour or so after the race and I'm not know for a strong bladder.
  • disgruntledgoat
    disgruntledgoat Posts: 8,957

Had a great day watching it about two thirds the way round; didn't bother taking any photos as I've done that in the past and tbh I think it compromises your enjoyment.

Obviously all the Dutch riders got the biggest cheers, and the Belgies got well cheered as well as big Tone.

However by far the biggest cheer was for Laurens Ten Dam. The crowd started singing his name almost before his minute man went past. What's that all about ? Was it the same at other sections of the course ?

By the way it was phenomenally hot. I'm not a hot weather person and it was a struggle at times. I had 2 litres of water, two tins of Amstel and 3 pints of Grolsch and didn't go to the loo until an hour or so after the race and I'm not know for a strong bladder.

Because he has a beard, dribbles a lot, once wiped his nose across his face in a crash and is an all round nice guy.
    "In many ways, my story was that of a raging, Christ-like figure who hauled himself off the cross, looked up at the Romans with blood in his eyes and said 'My turn, sock cookers'"

@gietvangent
  • alihisgreat
    alihisgreat Posts: 3,872
    The attention that the yellow jersey gets is crazy. There was a pretty big crowd of people around Greg LeMond, then suddenly Dennis comes out of anti-doping or whatever and there is a mad rush up to the barriers to see him. He's then greeted at the team car by a glass of champagne and a mad crowd of fans (including me, obviously) surrounding it and trying to get pics through the windows!

Unfortunately I didn't actually see him ride as I decided to take a break from standing in the scorching sun!

18839444844_69ab981024_c.jpg
    19435881416_7cb32a348d_c.jpg
    19274384190_d20619a223_c.jpg
  • frenchfighter
    20150704_%C2%A9BrakeThrough-Media_AX7O1119.jpg
    Contador is the Greatest
  • ddraver
    ddraver Posts: 26,660

Because he has a beard, dribbles a lot, once wiped his nose across his face in a crash and is an all round nice guy.

That, plus never forget the Dutch love someone with quiet determination. Showing off your success is very frowned upon here (which is why even in the richest areas of the country, people still live in small houses and drive VW golfs). They dig Chris Froome in the same way. Laurens epitomises that attitude

Sep Vanmarke apparently gave our corner a thumbs up which won him a few new fans (cynical me doubted that that was really what he was doing mind but :P )
    We're in danger of confusing passion with incompetence
    - @ddraver
  • disgruntledgoat

That, plus never forget the Dutch love someone with quiet determination. Showing off your success is very frowned upon here (which is why even in the richest areas of the country, people still live in small houses and drive VW golfs). They dig Chris Froome in the same way. Laurens epitomises that attitude

Sep Vanmarke apparently gave our corner a thumbs up which won him a few new fans (cynical me doubted that that was really what he was doing mind but :P )

It's no wonder the Dutch and Flemish don't see eye to eye. The dream here is to build your sprawling bungalow yourself and have 2 BMWs on the drive. Then spend every spare moment conspicuously improving/maintaining your house to show everybody how hard you work.
    "In many ways, my story was that of a raging, Christ-like figure who hauled himself off the cross, looked up at the Romans with blood in his eyes and said 'My turn, sock cookers'"

@gietvangent
  • frenchfighter
    dupe
    Contador is the Greatest
  • frenchfighter
    dupe2
    Contador is the Greatest
  • disgruntledgoat
    I should add- except in Gent where the dream is to own the nicest pair of green slacks imaginable and find the trendiest bar to lounge outside discussing what art "happening" to attend that weekend. Or Antwerp where the dream is to deport as many dusky types as possible

@gietvangent
  • frenchfighter
    Contador is the Greatest
  • frenchfighter
    i-CbcVDfd.jpg
    Contador is the Greatest
  • imatfaal
    imatfaal Posts: 2,716

Great photos - love this cool kid on the (upside down?) traffic light

20150704_%C2%A9BrakeThrough-Media_A10O1523.jpg
  • frenchfighter
    Yeah that's a cool one!

Not sure the ice is clinging on here...
    tumblr_nqzc1fwank1qzsrjlo1_1280.jpg

11381461_1149666961715361_441459599_n.jpg
    Dominik Nerz: "I rode over a bump and within a second I had a part of the handlebar in my hands. After the initial shock, I was thinking to switch the bike. But I decided to keep the one I had, because switching bikes also costs time. Certainly I hoped for a some kind of different start, especially since all conditions were perfect. The atmosphere was amazing, the cheering crowd really carried us. Such things happen, only it shouldn’t have happened today. " (photo Cor Vos)
    Contador is the Greatest
  • ddraver
    ddraver Posts: 26,660
    Some photos from our corner

18985072823_c958ec84ee.jpg20150704-IMG_2801.jpg by Dave Kneen, on Flickr

18985074843_fe9174530c.jpg20150704-IMG_2803.jpg by Dave Kneen, on Flickr7

By far the biggest cheer for Tommy
    19599077932_789ed94f4d.jpg20150704-IMG_2818.jpg by Dave Kneen, on Flickr
    We're in danger of confusing passion with incompetence
    - @ddraver