TdF Stage 1 - Utrecht-Utrecht *SPOILERS*

above_the_cows
above_the_cows Posts: 11,406
edited July 2015 in Pro race
So here we go the 2015 Tour de France (and other assorted northern European countries) starts tomorrow in Utrecht.

The stage looks like this:

pancakes.jpg

And is a mammoth 13.8km

PROFIL.png

The weather looks set to be scorching:

http://buienradar.nl/weer/de-bilt/nl/2757783/#14daagse

Pack a hat and sun cream folks.

Some fun facts about the fourth largest city and oldie religious centre of the The Netherlands...

So Utrecht was of course the most important city in NL until the Golden Age when the merchants of Amsterdam became hegemonic, and put the Archbishop of Utrecht back in his box. (I'm not biased at all)

There is little of geology to report but it is worth noting that Utrecht is the older city and thus was the more important due to it being at the western edge of the Gooi which meant that it wasn't all flooded like the polderised land that lies in the Randstad and on which Amsterdam was built.

There is no wine but there is beer. Utrecht's southern industrial estate is home to the De Leckere brouwerij who have a special Tour beer: Tourkoorts which I can attest it very nice with a slightly spicy taste facilitated by the inclusion of star anise.

content-bieren-Tourkoorts.png

Utrecht is home to the Netherlands largest university (but not the best, again I may be biased) and the world's biggest cycle parking facility outside the station. In addition Utrecht was of course home to Dr Strabismus (whom God may preserve) but most importantly Utrecht is home to this little lady!

Nijntje!

1.-nijntje_1.png

So allé allé let's go and best of luck to BR men Violet Beauregarde and Jose The Moustache Serpa, may the Koninklijk Weg Meubelen bless them and keep them.
Correlation is not causation.

Comments