Join the Labour Party and save your country!

Comments

• rick_chasey
    rick_chasey Posts: 75,661
    Worth remembering Johnson wasn’t so much popular as Corbin was toxic.
  • morstar
    morstar Posts: 6,190

Really?

A significant minority knew he wasn’t fit for purpose. But to deny he had popular support is an odd claim.
  • rick_chasey
    morstar said:

Really?

A significant minority knew he wasn’t fit for purpose. But to deny he had popular support is an odd claim.
    It’s all in the numbers. Approval at election was worse than May etc etc
  • rick_chasey
    edited June 2022
    https://news.sky.com/story/boris-johnsons-personal-appeal-was-less-important-in-2019-victory-than-many-thought-12598727

A couple illustrative charts there too.

One breaks down some of the demographics and which of those had high approval ratings for him.

We/I know the answer to that, obviously, but when people ask “who was surprised by his behaviour” now you have some data.
  • Stevo_666
    Stevo_666 Posts: 60,839

Stevo_666 said:

Stevo_666 said:

ddraver said:

Credit where it's due, For Day 1 of "Operation Make Starmer Look Not Boring", PMQs was not a bad start...

A long ways to go for sure, but....

The fact that they need to mount a campaign to try to achieve this should tell you something...

Considering how boring he is, I wonder what the Tories are doing wrong to be trailing so badly...

https://www.electoralcalculus.co.uk/homepage.html

Bad news if a GE is imminent I guess...

Too early to tell, obvs.

But even so, my point still stands. I'm not going to argue that he's not boring, or has charisma. But despite that, Labour is ten % points up. Why do you think that would be?
    Not sure. This sort of thing often happens mid term though.
    "I spent most of my money on birds, booze and fast cars: the rest of it I just squandered." [George Best]
  • Stevo_666

Stevo_666 said:

Pross said:

Stevo_666 said:

ddraver said:

Credit where it's due, For Day 1 of "Operation Make Starmer Look Not Boring", PMQs was not a bad start...

The fact that they need to mount a campaign to try to achieve this should tell you something...
    I'll take boring over lying narcissist any day.
    You left out "law-breaking".
    Depending on the outcome of certain investigations, that could be added to Starmers description. Boring and law breaking - what a combination. Just what Labour needs :)

Keep clutching at straws. I'm not sure what hold Johnson has got on you... unlike ministers, you don't rely on him for your employment.
    We mustn't forget leftie hypocrisy :smile:
    "I spent most of my money on birds, booze and fast cars: the rest of it I just squandered." [George Best]
  • rick_chasey
    edited June 2022
    As opposed to declaring yourselves a low tax govt and whacking on the largest tax take in a generation?
  • rick_chasey
    edited June 2022
    Or how about “we’re not racist but we are designing an immigration policy which essentially imprisons asylum seekers unless they’re white ukranians when we’ll make the border police put up “ukranians welcome” flags at the border”

???

Righty hypocrisy is alive and well, Stevo.
  • briantrumpet
    briantrumpet Posts: 19,801
    Stevo_666 said:

Stevo_666 said:

Stevo_666 said:

ddraver said:

Considering how boring he is, I wonder what the Tories are doing wrong to be trailing so badly...

Too early to tell, obvs.

But even so, my point still stands. I'm not going to argue that he's not boring, or has charisma. But despite that, Labour is ten % points up. Why do you think that would be?

Try 'Johnson'. That would be a start. That you recognised that Corbyn was toxic, but won't admit that Johnson is now an electoral liability is bizarre.
  • surrey_commuter
    surrey_commuter Posts: 18,867

As opposed to declaring yourselves a low tax govt and whacking on the largest tax take in a generation?

The most bizarre thing is that they continue to declare themselves as a low tax Govt

Maybe Starmer could juice up his image by comparing Boris to a trans swimmer?
  • TheBigBean
    TheBigBean Posts: 21,635
    edited June 2022

Or how about “we’re not racist but we are designing an immigration policy which essentially imprisons asylum seekers unless they’re white ukranians when we’ll make the border police put up “ukranians welcome” flags at the border”

???

Righty hypocrisy is alive and well, Stevo.

It's been widely reported that the current immigration policies have led to more multi-cultural immigration than before.
  • rick_chasey
    Are you suggesting the current approach to asylum seekers is not racist? I'd like evidence for that.
  • TheBigBean
    TheBigBean Posts: 21,635

Are you suggesting the current approach to asylum seekers is not racist? I'd like evidence for that.

No, I'm talking about everything other than asylum claims.
  • rick_chasey
    Right, but I wasn't?
  • monkimark
    monkimark Posts: 1,896
    I fail to see why anyone would care if a party leader is boring, nobody is asking you to go out on the town with them.

The seats vs votes on the table is strange - both the SNP and the lib dems are predicted to lose votes and gain seats?
  • morstar
    morstar Posts: 6,190

morstar said:

Really?

It’s all in the numbers. Approval at election was worse than May etc etc
    So more divisive. A la Trump, Farage, Hitler.
    That is not the same as not having popular support.

I think Trump is an absolute disaster. He’s still popular.
  • Stevo_666

I wasn't aware that I was in government? You give me too much credit sometimes Rick. Since when were you opposed to high taxes? You should be voting Tory based on what you've just posted :smile:
  • Stevo_666

Stevo_666 said:

Stevo_666 said:

Stevo_666 said:

ddraver said:

Too early to tell, obvs.

Try 'Johnson'. That would be a start. That you recognised that Corbyn was toxic, but won't admit that Johnson is now an electoral liability is bizarre.
    He may well be, but I've already explained my position upthread in the team vs manager analogy.
  • Stevo_666

The most bizarre thing is that they continue to declare themselves as a low tax Govt

Maybe Starmer could juice up his image by comparing Boris to a trans swimmer?
    Maybe Starmer could really juice up his image by making Labour a low tax party :D
  • briantrumpet
    edited June 2022
    Stevo_666 said:

Stevo_666 said:

Stevo_666 said:

Stevo_666 said:

ddraver said:

Too early to tell, obvs.

He may well be, but I've already explained my position upthread in the team vs manager analogy.

If you're going to stick with a rubbish analogy, it doesn't stop anyone from pointing out that the manager is a lying, lazy, unprincipled charlatan, who is merely using the team/club to further his own ends. In fact, that's what I'd expect a proper club supporter to do. I'd rather the Tories weren't being dragged down to Johnson's level... I'd have thought that would have been your focus too, since you so strongly believe in them. It wouldn't be a sign of weakness on your part to call him out.
  • rick_chasey
    Stevo_666 said:

I wasn't aware that I was in government? You give me too much credit sometimes Rick. Since when were you opposed to high taxes? You should be voting Tory based on what you've just posted :smile:
    There's a time and a place for both. Tories are usually 180 degrees away from my own view on timing.
  • Stevo_666

Stevo_666 said:

Stevo_666 said:

Stevo_666 said:

Stevo_666 said:

ddraver said:

Too early to tell, obvs.

If you're going to stick with a rubbish analogy, it doesn't stop anyone from pointing out that the manager is a lying, lazy, unprincipled charlatan, who is merely using the team/club to further his own ends. In fact, that's what I'd expect a proper club supporter to do. I'd rather the Tories weren't being dragged down to Johnson's level... I'd have thought that would have been your focus too, since you os strongly believe in them. It wouldn't be a sign of weakness on your part to call him out.
    Brian, you really need to get off the fence about BJ :smile: The analogy was deliberately kept simple.

So let's cut to the chase - is he bad enough for you stoop to voting Labour in the next GE?
  • skyblueamateur
    skyblueamateur Posts: 1,498

ddraver said:
    Makes you realise how shallow the talent pool of current politicians on all sides are when Milliband looks heavyweight.

I still don't rate him highly - he's not a natural orator (needs to read his script), and his delivery feels stilted/practised.
    Exactly. That’s my point. He’s pretty sh1te but nowhere near as sh1te as most of the chancer
    Stevo_666 said:

Stevo_666 said:

Stevo_666 said:

Stevo_666 said:

Stevo_666 said:

ddraver said:

Too early to tell, obvs.

If you're going to stick with a rubbish analogy, it doesn't stop anyone from pointing out that the manager is a lying, lazy, unprincipled charlatan, who is merely using the team/club to further his own ends. In fact, that's what I'd expect a proper club supporter to do. I'd rather the Tories weren't being dragged down to Johnson's level... I'd have thought that would have been your focus too, since you os strongly believe in them. It wouldn't be a sign of weakness on your part to call him out.
    Brian, you really need to get off the fence about BJ :smile: The analogy was deliberately kept simple.

So let's cut to the chase - is he bad enough for you stoop to voting Labour in the next GE?
    For me, definitely. A Keir Starmer led Labour couldn't do any more damage to the economy then this shower have done.

I would expect a more conciliatory and pragmatic tone with the EU which would ease business fears.

I never thought I'd vote Labour again but then I never expected the Tories to become pound shop Corbyns.
  • briantrumpet
    Stevo_666 said:

Stevo_666 said:

Stevo_666 said:

Stevo_666 said:

Stevo_666 said:

ddraver said:

Too early to tell, obvs.

I'll vote for however is most likely to give the Tories a kicking, which is probably LDs in East Devon. If the Tories won't get rid of Johnson, then the Tories have to go.

I'd rather be voting for someone because of a broad spectrum of policies I agree with, but politics is broken with Johnson at the helm. Once he's gone, I'll look at their policies.
  • rjsterry
    rjsterry Posts: 29,207

Stevo_666 said:

Stevo_666 said:

Stevo_666 said:

Stevo_666 said:

Stevo_666 said:

ddraver said:

Too early to tell, obvs.

I'll vote for however is most likely to give the Tories a kicking, which is probably LDs in East Devon. If the Tories won't get rid of Johnson, then the Tories have to go.

I'd rather be voting for someone because of a broad spectrum of policies I agree with, but politics is broken with Johnson at the helm. Once he's gone, I'll look at their policies.
    Ditto. LD are a close second in my constituency. A shame as the MP seems like a decent chap if a little unwilling to stick his head above the parapet.
    1985 Mercian King of Mercia - work in progress (Hah! Who am I kidding?)
    Pinnacle Monzonite

Part of the anti-growth coalition
  • Stevo_666

Stevo_666 said:

Stevo_666 said:

Stevo_666 said:

Stevo_666 said:

Stevo_666 said:

ddraver said:

Too early to tell, obvs.

OK, so you're going down the protest/tactical voting route currently.

Interestingly the Lib Dem candidate int the recent local elections had her main selling point as 'vote for embecause Labour haven't got a hope in hell round here'. Which is probably true, although she may have found that having purple hair probably didn't win over too many of the local population who might have been wavering.
  • HilaryAmin
    HilaryAmin Posts: 160
    Because purple is UKIP?

• kingstongraham
    kingstongraham Posts: 27,865
    Stevo_666 said:

Stevo_666 said:

Stevo_666 said:

Stevo_666 said:

Stevo_666 said:

Stevo_666 said:

ddraver said:

Too early to tell, obvs.

Interestingly the Lib Dem candidate int the recent local elections had her main selling point as 'vote for embecause Labour haven't got a hope in hell round here'. Which is probably true, although she may have found that having purple hair probably didn't win over too many of the local population who might have been wavering.

• Stevo_666

Stevo_666 said:

Stevo_666 said:

Stevo_666 said:

Stevo_666 said:

Stevo_666 said:

Stevo_666 said:

ddraver said:

Too early to tell, obvs.

It was more streaky hippy/student style.
  • Stevo_666

Because purple is UKIP?

It appears to be the chosen colour of other fringe protest parties also...