Join the Labour Party and save your country!

Comments

• narbs
    narbs Posts: 593
    Anyway, back to St Theresa's stunning victory last week, that lifelong leftie Matthew Parris sums it up succinctly today, if a bit more generously than I would have.

DCgdqYHXsAELoiW.jpg
  • surrey_commuter
    surrey_commuter Posts: 18,867
    narbs wrote:
    Anyway, back to St Theresa's stunning victory last week, that lifelong leftie Matthew Parris sums it up succinctly today, if a bit more generously than I would have.

DCgdqYHXsAELoiW.jpg

He is a very good writer and makes a lot of sense.
  • pblakeney
    pblakeney Posts: 27,065
    Very well put.
    The above may be fact, or fiction, I may be serious, I may be jesting.
    I am not sure. You have no chance.
    Veronese68 wrote:
    PB is the most sensible person on here.
  • mamba80
    mamba80 Posts: 5,032
    narbs wrote:

DCgdqYHXsAELoiW.jpg

He is a very good writer and makes a lot of sense.

total rubbish, she is a great PM and i want her to stay, i think i might join the Tory party and se if i can vote for her...... :lol:
  • Stevo_666
    Stevo_666 Posts: 60,846
    mamba80 wrote:
    total rubbish, she is a great PM and i want her to stay, i think i might join the Tory party and se if i can vote for her...... :lol:
    It'll cost you a bit more than it cost me to get involved :wink:
    https://www.theguardian.com/money/2015/jun/13/party-politics-cost-getting-involved-pitfalls

In the end the Tories will be quite pragmatic and if they feel she will hurt their prospects, she will go at some point. The party is more important than the leader.
    "I spent most of my money on birds, booze and fast cars: the rest of it I just squandered." [George Best]
  • mamba80
    Stevo 666 wrote:
    mamba80 wrote:
    https://www.theguardian.com/money/2015/jun/13/party-politics-cost-getting-involved-pitfalls

In the end the Tories will be quite pragmatic and if they feel she will hurt their prospects, she will go at some point. The party is more important than the leader.

mmm £25 and wait 3 months and i can vote! maybe for boris :lol:

Seriously though, Hammond, a bit more pragmatic and has the human touch... if thats even possible for a modern tory :shock:
  • Stevo_666
    mamba80 wrote:
    Stevo 666 wrote:
    mamba80 wrote:

Seriously though, Hammond, a bit more pragmatic and has the human touch... if thats even possible for a modern tory :shock:
    Go for it. I'm not so hypocritical or so far up my own ar$e that I would be bothered by someone doing that (mentioning no names :wink: ). Its £25 in the coffers as well.

My money would be on Amber Rudd. Or longer term, I could see Ruth Davidson making a good leader if she could be persuaded to 'come down South'.
    "I spent most of my money on birds, booze and fast cars: the rest of it I just squandered." [George Best]
  • BelgianBeerGeek
    BelgianBeerGeek Posts: 5,226
    mamba80 wrote:
    Stevo 666 wrote:
    mamba80 wrote:

Hammond! Fuck my old boots..
    Ecrasez l’infame
  • mamba80
    Stevo 666 wrote:
    mamba80 wrote:

Go for it. I'm not so hypocritical or so far up my own ar$e that I would be bothered by someone doing that (mentioning no names :wink: ). Its £25 in the coffers as well.

My money would be on Amber Rudd. Or longer term, I could see Ruth Davidson making a good leader if she could be persuaded to 'come down South'.

hammond because he isnt a tw@t over brexit!

yeah i thought rudd too but she has a tiny majority.... did come across very angry in the leaders debate but her dad had just died so understandable.
    Ruth Davidson though would be an inspired choice, she has extensive experience in opposition so would fit straight in after the next GE lol! she is a formidable politician no doubt, i could vote for her if the english tory party became a little more like their Scottish version!

whoever they choose - if they do - and whoever wins, we need a decent opposition and no huge majorities either, turbulent times ahead and no party has a monopoly on wisdom.
  • Stevo_666
    mamba80 wrote:
    we need a decent opposition
    And there's the problem :wink:
  • BelgianBeerGeek
    BelgianBeerGeek Posts: 5,226
    Stevo 666 wrote:
    mamba80 wrote:
    Careful what you wish for Stevo :lol:
    Ecrasez l’infame
  • mamba80
    Stevo 666 wrote:
    mamba80 wrote:

Well, the tories have got their hands full with this one!!!! and May made it happen, quite unbelievable really, her fall from grace has been spectacular.
  • Stevo_666
    Stevo 666 wrote:
    mamba80 wrote:
    Careful what you wish for Stevo :lol:
    Likewise Geeky :)

fctlf8.gif

• briantrumpet
    briantrumpet Posts: 19,809
    Stevo 666 wrote:
    Not entirely sure about the skeletons in Rudd's background in these days when politicians are supposed to be squeaky clean. Well, I suppose she did get some good advice on tax avoidance...

https://www.theguardian.com/politics/20 ... ared-unfit

Ruth Davidson would certainly be an interesting one - quite a contrast from Maybot, as she does seem to speak with genuine conviction, and is prepared to mix it with people she might not agree with. She's got a sharp mind and intellect - something I'm increasingly convinced May hasn't.
  • mamba80
    Stevo 666 wrote:
    Not entirely sure about the skeletons in Rudd's background in these days when politicians are supposed to be squeaky clean. Well, I suppose she did get some good advice on tax avoidance...

Ruth Davidson would certainly be an interesting one - quite a contrast from Maybot, as she does seem to speak with genuine conviction, and is prepared to mix it with people she might not agree with. She's got a sharp mind and intellect - something I'm increasingly convinced May hasn't.

this made me spit my beer :lol:
  • Stevo_666
    edited June 2017
    Stevo 666 wrote:

Davidson is one for the medium to long term I think as I believe she still has a job to do in Scotland.

As for the Guardian making allegations on tax avoidance, let he who is without sin cast the first stone? :wink:
    https://blogs.spectator.co.uk/2016/04/will-the-guardian-now-investigate-its-own-tax-arrangements/

https://www.forbes.com/sites/timworstall/2013/06/28/the-insufferable-hypocrisy-of-the-guardian-on-corporation-tax/#17b4522b5969

It's my old favourite, leftie hypocrisy :)
  • briantrumpet
    Stevo 666 wrote:
    "You're" and "I'm".

I make a point of ignoring graphics with incorrect words.
  • Stevo_666
    Stevo 666 wrote:
    "You're" and "I'm".

I make a point of ignoring graphics with incorrect words.
    Not of my making but the economic message is not too far off

I'll just go look for a graphic that says the Lib Dems have a grate chance of being power in the foreseeable future.
  • briantrumpet
    Stevo 666 wrote:
    Oh yes, that too, though it doesn't alter the facts in the case reported. Private Eye has been onto the Guardian's holier-than-thou position on tax avoidance for ages, as well as Rudd.
  • Stevo_666
    Stevo 666 wrote:
    Oh yes, that too, though it doesn't alter the facts in the case reported. Private Eye has been onto the Guardian's holier-than-thou position on tax avoidance for ages, as well as Rudd.
    I make a point of ignoring articles from stinking hypocrites.
  • mamba80
    Stevo 666 wrote:
    Stevo 666 wrote:

Davidson is one for the medium to long term I think as I believe she still has a job to do in Scotland.

As for the Guardian making allegations on tax avoidance, let he who is without sin cast the first stone? :wink:
    https://blogs.spectator.co.uk/2016/04/will-the-guardian-now-investigate-its-own-tax-arrangements/

https://www.forbes.com/sites/timworstall/2013/06/28/the-insufferable-hypocrisy-of-the-guardian-on-corporation-tax/#17b4522b5969

hold the front page! i would like to think that the owners of a newspaper do not have editorial control, so what the owners do, isnt really anything to do with what the journo's write and the editor then approves yes?

as i ve said to you before, its down to hmrc/gov to determine tax law, not companies or individuals an we both agreed on this.
  • Stevo_666
    mamba80 wrote:
    Stevo 666 wrote:
    Stevo 666 wrote:

hold the front page! i would like to think that the owners of a newspaper do not have editorial control, so what the owners do, isnt really anything to do with what the journo's write and the editor then approves yes?

as i ve said to you before, its down to hmrc/gov to determine tax law, not companies or individuals an we both agreed on this.
    No. The owners have - or should have - a say in the policy and approach to what is published. Its still hypoctisy. Following your logic you could argue that large corporates don't have control of the details of finance so their chief exec isn't responsible for my tax planning then? :wink:

Tax law in this case is not really the point as both are acting legally in tjis respect. Except that one is accusing the other of doing something while doing exactly the same sort of thing themselves. Pretty much defines hypocrisy in my books. That said, looking at the state of the Guardians finances and the bombardment with begging messages on their website, they might not be hypocrites for that much longer :)
  • mamba80
    Do they? the SUN and Times are oft very different, same owner, i think editors are given a fairly wide scope.

my point was that so long as its all above board, then fair enough, if its abused, up to gov to change law, i dont hold with this they must pay their fair share etc.... though a gov minister avoiding tax is nt a great way to behave, they need to be squeaky clean now a days.
  • Stevo_666
    mamba80 wrote:
    Do they? the SUN and Times are oft very different, same owner, i think editors are given a fairly wide scope.

my point was that so long as its all above board, then fair enough, if its abused, up to gov to change law, i dont hold with this they must pay their fair share etc.... though a gov minister avoiding tax is nt a great way to behave, they need to be squeaky clean now a days.
    If you are the owner of a newspaper and you let your journos write what they want, it doesn't absolve you of responsibility or liability does it.

They have both paid their fair share according to the law. Looking at the Rudd article, the tax 'avoidance' is simply routine tax planning such as using losses against future profits - not even a moral case to answer there IMO. My point is that one party is pointing the finger at the other claiming they have done wrong while doing the same thing themselves. Ferkin leftie hypocrites.
  • mamba80
    Stevo 666 wrote:
    mamba80 wrote:

If you are the owner of a newspaper and you let your journos write what they want, it doesn't absolve you of responsibility or liability does it.

They have both paid their fair share according to the law. Looking at the Rudd article, the tax 'avoidance' is simply routine tax planning such as using losses against future profits - not even a moral case to answer there IMO. My point is that one party is pointing the finger at the other claiming they have done wrong while doing the same thing themselves. Ferkin leftie hypocrites.

have you thought of some counselling for your anger issues toward Lefties?
  • Stevo_666
    mamba80 wrote:
    Stevo 666 wrote:
    mamba80 wrote:

have you thought of some counselling for your anger issues toward Lefties?
    :)

Not angry, but it is a rich seam to mine. I do Liberal hypocrisy as well...

imageedit_2144_6694143902.jpg
  • mamba80
    ....i think the Tories do hypocrisy as well, perhaps insisting on min turn outs in union ballots BUT having no such concerns for any other elections that suit them, is a good example.

or perhaps continually saying they ll be no snap election and then having one.... or is that classed as lying?

these things effect peoples lives, unlike where Abbott sends her kids,
    incidentally, my extremely wealthy neighbour tried to send his kids to a state primary school but within a term or two they were in private, they were bullied for whom there father was, its not a straight fwd decision is it?
  • rick_chasey
    rick_chasey Posts: 75,661
    My favourite is being called a snowflake by someone and when I call them a racist they get all upset.

Boo. Hoo.
  • Stevo_666
    mamba80 wrote:
    these things effect peoples lives, unlike where Abbott sends her kids,
    incidentally, my extremely wealthy neighbour tried to send his kids to a state primary school but within a term or two they were in private, they were bullied for whom there father was, its not a straight fwd decision is it?
    So if Abbott had her way, your neighbour wouldn't have the option of going private and his kids would get bullied for years. It's not her sending her kid private that affects people, it is her trying to deny others the same choice as she has exercised. 'Do as I say, don't do as I do...'

I agree the other things affect people. If unions can't call strikes on a whim (like the Southern Rail dispute which had a very small turn out), that makes my life better. Good point !
  • Stevo_666
    My favourite is being called a snowflake by someone and when I call them a racist they get all upset.

Boo. Hoo.
    How does calling you a snowflake make someone a racist?

Also I always think people should not be punished for telling the truth :wink: