Join the Labour Party and save your country!

Comments

• pblakeney
    pblakeney Posts: 26,375
    Don't spend much time finding out what's happening up north do you? Indyref2 will be called when there is a chance of winning. There is an unlikely chance with A50, none without it.
    The above may be fact, or fiction, I may be serious, I may be jesting.
    I am not sure. You have no chance.
    Veronese68 wrote:
    PB is the most sensible person on here.
  • Stevo_666
    Stevo_666 Posts: 59,735
    PBlakeney wrote:
    Don't spend much time finding out what's happening up north do you? Indyref2 will be called when there is a chance of winning. There is an unlikely chance with A50, none without it.
    Of course. Assuming we give permission.
    "I spent most of my money on birds, booze and fast cars: the rest of it I just squandered." [George Best]
  • bobmcstuff
    bobmcstuff Posts: 11,280
    PBlakeney wrote:
    If Corbyn gets in, yes I do believe A50 will be cancelled. There will also be an IndyRef2.
    Not happening.
    A50 is the excuse for Indyref2. Won't get one without the other.

I agree about JC getting in is not going to happen ;).

But the concession JC will give to the Lib Dems to get support for his manifesto will be cancelling of A50
    In the same way, I believe the concession to the SNP for their support will be giving them Indyref2. I can see where you are coming from on this but I see it as the one concession that will allow full support of the labour manifesto
    Christ what planet are you living on. Too much Daily Mail? Corbyn doesn't like the EU (he didn't want to join in the first place!) and if IF he makes a coalition with the Lib Dems they will have next to no say as they're looking at a handful of seats. They're not going to get back to the level they were at in 2010 even.

Maybe a Lab-SNP coalition would be different (which also seems much more likely, given the LDs will have a handful of seats and the SNP will be a large bloc) but current Labour leadership seems pretty supportive of leaving the EU (not withstanding most of the PLP who don't feel the same way!).
  • tangled_metal
    tangled_metal Posts: 4,021
    Anyone watch the IFC briefing on the party manifestos? On the parliament channel.

Well they looked at overall effect of the manifestos on different socio-economic groups (7 plus top 5% IIRC). All were in negative figures across the who groups.

What was interesting was the differences between Labour, Tories and LibDems. The curve for the Tories was more negative for lower groups, less negative for middle groups before dropping for the highest groups. Hitting each end hardest and the lower social groups the most.

What about Labour? Same shape curve! The only difference is a slight lowering of the curve at the higher social groups and the lowest groups was at most a little bit closer to zero but still very much a worsening situation for the poorest socio-economic groups.

The ideal would be a straight line. The LibDems are closest to that. Still an upturned U shape but a fairly flat one and overall at a less negative level.

So according to that respected think tank it appears that if you really want the Labour rhetoric to come true then vote LibDems! Corbyn won't cut it.
  • mamba80
    mamba80 Posts: 5,032
    Stevo 666 wrote:
    They were quite happy to have Indyref 1 well before Brexit was even a prospect. The SNP will try to have Indyref 2 regardless of what happens on Brexit.

well, according to you, DC must have played fast and loose with the united kingdom (i agree with you on this btw) as he was the one who gave the SNP the indy1 vote didnt he? and it was Labour in the form of Gordon Brown, who managed to get the Scotts to vote No, thank fcuk for Labour hey!!!
  • bompington
    bompington Posts: 7,674
    Err, no.
    More of us voted No because more of us think independence is a bad idea, not because of anything Gordon Brown said.
  • rjsterry
    rjsterry Posts: 28,381
    Anyone watch the IFC briefing on the party manifestos? On the parliament channel.

Well they looked at overall effect of the manifestos on different socio-economic groups (7 plus top 5% IIRC). All were in negative figures across the who groups.

What was interesting was the differences between Labour, Tories and LibDems. The curve for the Tories was more negative for lower groups, less negative for middle groups before dropping for the highest groups. Hitting each end hardest and the lower social groups the most.

What about Labour? Same shape curve! The only difference is a slight lowering of the curve at the higher social groups and the lowest groups was at most a little bit closer to zero but still very much a worsening situation for the poorest socio-economic groups.

The ideal would be a straight line. The LibDems are closest to that. Still an upturned U shape but a fairly flat one and overall at a less negative level.

So according to that respected think tank it appears that if you really want the Labour rhetoric to come true then vote LibDems! Corbyn won't cut it.
    Ooh, I love a good graph. Any links?

BTW, that rather correlates with my general take on Labour: some good ideas and overall vision, but prone to letting ideology get in the way of achieving what they set out to do.
    1985 Mercian King of Mercia - work in progress (Hah! Who am I kidding?)
    Pinnacle Monzonite

Part of the anti-growth coalition
  • Frank the tank
    Frank the tank Posts: 6,553
    If Labour come within a few seats of a tory majority it will be a moral if not real victory. TM called this election thinking she would totally destroy the labour opposition....................I don't think that will happen.

Brexit and all the turmoil it will rain down on the UK economy (whoever is in charge) lays fairly and squarely at the foot of the tories, as the only reason there was a referenda was David Cameron was sh1t scared of his self centered back benches. He did what he thought was good for the tory party not what was good for the country.

Tories will always look after themselves no matter how they dress it up.

Why the f*ck anyone who works for low wages and depend on the NHS for health care could even consider voting for them is beyond me....................Perhaps they read the Sun or the daily mash.
    Tail end Charlie

The above post may contain traces of sarcasm or/and bullsh*t.
  • meanredspider
    meanredspider Posts: 12,337
    is beyond me....................

Funnily enough, I can see that wouldn't take much :wink:
    ROAD < Scott Foil HMX Di2, Volagi Liscio Di2, Jamis Renegade Elite Di2, Cube Reaction Race > ROUGH
  • Frank the tank
    Frank the tank Posts: 6,553
    is beyond me....................

Funnily enough, I can see that wouldn't take much :wink:
    Selfish wanker!
    Tail end Charlie

The above post may contain traces of sarcasm or/and bullsh*t.
  • Stevo_666
    If Labour come within a few seats of a tory majority it will be a moral if not real victory.
    Call it what you want, it's still a loss.
    "I spent most of my money on birds, booze and fast cars: the rest of it I just squandered." [George Best]
  • mamba80
    Stevo 666 wrote:
    If Labour come within a few seats of a tory majority it will be a moral if not real victory.

do you think May will be stronger or weaker (as a PM) if she gets a similar majority as she has now?
  • pblakeney
    mamba80 wrote:
    Stevo 666 wrote:

do you think May will be stronger or weaker (as a PM) if she gets a similar majority as she has now?
    Right now, I think she'll be weaker even if the party walks it.
    This has been a very, very poor past few weeks.
    Veronese68 wrote:
  • Stevo_666
    PBlakeney wrote:
    mamba80 wrote:
    Stevo 666 wrote:

Compared to Corbyn and Farron who won't be PM...

I can see people lining up their 'moral victories' for this Friday :)
  • mamba80
    Stevo 666 wrote:
    PBlakeney wrote:
    mamba80 wrote:
    Stevo 666 wrote:

not from me you wont, as you say a win is a win and the Tories will be back in regardless, so zero moral victory.

but i m just interested in what a true blue thinks of their leader, who called an unnecessary election, apparently in order to gain a strong hand for EU negotiations, so should she not get this, she would have failed by her own high standards!!!

i had a bet with u on 100 plus margin, those days seem a life time away.
  • norvernrob
    norvernrob Posts: 1,448
    mamba80 wrote:
    Stevo 666 wrote:

The only reason she called this election is because the Tories had a huge lead in polls and she wanted to lock in 5 more years with a massive majority because Labour were no threat.

Yet, somehow, within a couple of weeks she's managed to make Corbyn look like a statesman whilst she loses votes every time she opens her mouth. As has already been pointed out, she already looks a lot weaker than she did a month ago and whatever the result on Thursday that won't change.
  • rick_chasey
    rick_chasey Posts: 74,279
    May can't be high on your list of favourite Tory leaders surely Stevo?

I know you see politics as more like football than content - the Tories using the Ed Balls policies you had so much disdain for in 2015 and your total reversal on that position demonstrates as such - but that aside you can't actually think she's any good?
  • Stevo_666
    May can't be high on your list of favourite Tory leaders surely Stevo?

I know you see politics as more like football than content - the Tories using the Ed Balls policies you had so much disdain for in 2015 and your total reversal on that position demonstrates as such - but that aside you can't actually think she's any good?
    There will never be another Mrs. T. And yes she has not had a very good campaign.

But TM is way better than Corbyn, Sturgeon and Farron. She is still the best choice on Thursday .
  • Stevo_666
    NorvernRob wrote:
    mamba80 wrote:
    Stevo 666 wrote:

The only reason she called this election is because the Tories had a huge lead in polls and she wanted to lock in 5 more years with a massive majority because Labour were no threat.

Yet, somehow, within a couple of weeks she's managed to make Corbyn look like a statesman whilst she loses votes every time she opens her mouth. As has already been pointed out, she already looks a lot weaker than she did a month ago and whatever the result on Thursday that won't change.
    So despite being crap, she will still win? Says a lot about everyone else.
  • Stevo_666
    mamba80 wrote:
    Stevo 666 wrote:
    PBlakeney wrote:
    mamba80 wrote:
    Stevo 666 wrote:

not from me you wont, as you say a win is a win and the Tories will be back in regardless, so zero moral victory.

but i m just interested in what a true blue thinks of their leader, who called an unnecessary election, apparently in order to gain a strong hand for EU negotiations, so should she not get this, she would have failed by her own high standards!!!

i had a bet with u on 100 plus margin, those days seem a life time away.
    Let's see on Friday morning eh :wink:
  • pblakeney
    Stevo 666 wrote:
    PBlakeney wrote:
    mamba80 wrote:
    Stevo 666 wrote:

The question was whether May would be stronger or weaker. I'd say weaker so the answer still stands. Also points towards near future in fighting. No moral victories from here.
    Veronese68 wrote:
  • mamba80
    Stevo 666 wrote:
    NorvernRob wrote:
    mamba80 wrote:
    Stevo 666 wrote:

Had that stupid Benn stood behind the democratic process, instead of launching a leadership challenge esp as the tories were in chaos - corbyn would nt have started this GE 25pts behind and would nt have attracted the amount of negative press he has.
    But even you Stevo must be as surprised in his positive performances as i m surprised in TM's negative ones ?

One think i am very surprised at, is her tone of recent speeches, you d think she d been in opposition for the last 7 years :roll:
  • meursault
    meursault Posts: 1,433
    mamba80 wrote:
    Stevo 666 wrote:

She's an absolute joke, and will be gone before you know it. Running scared of debating with comrade Corbyn FFS?
    Superstition sets the whole world in flames; philosophy quenches them.

Voltaire
  • Stevo_666
    mamba80 wrote:
    But even you Stevo must be as surprised in his positive performances as i m surprised in TM's negative ones ?
    Not really, Labour figured they didn't have much to lose and offered lots of people the imaginary proceeds from their magic money tree - quite a few people appear to have been daft enough to swallow it.
  • rick_chasey
    rick_chasey Posts: 74,279
    Stevo 666 wrote:
    mamba80 wrote:
    Not really, Labour figured they didn't have much to lose and offered lots of people the imaginary proceeds from their magic money tree - quite a few people appear to have been daft enough to swallow it.

So you're happy with the Ed Balls deficit reduction scheme proposed in 2015?

http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/uk-politics-25885606
  • norvernrob
    norvernrob Posts: 1,448
    Stevo 666 wrote:
    NorvernRob wrote:
    mamba80 wrote:
    Stevo 666 wrote:

A couple of weeks ago a massive majority was a forgone conclusion and Corbyn was regarded as totally unelectable by most people. Somehow TM has managed to make a total mess of the campaign, even with two terror attacks taking place which given Corbyn's image for 'softness' will have only benefitted the Tories.
  • mamba80
    Stevo 666 wrote:
    mamba80 wrote:

ha ha come on think up your own slogan pleeeese!

Tories are also promising a lot too, only they ve not said where it will come from, JC has done well not because he has promised things but because he has a vision, now you can disagree with his vision but May isnt offering jack and thats her and the tories problem.
    i think you said complacency was the tories worry (i think u meant in regard to getting out the vote) but it looks like its the case, some badly thought out policies, personalising the campaign and the terrorist attacks highlighting Police cuts and tory lead drops.
    3 days from polling and i ve not got a clue what the Tories will do for me, my family or country.
  • meanredspider
    meanredspider Posts: 12,337
    mamba80 wrote:
    3 days from polling and i ve not got a clue what the Tories will do for me, my family or country.

They (or any other party) will save you, your family and the country from Corbyn. Simples :wink:
    ROAD < Scott Foil HMX Di2, Volagi Liscio Di2, Jamis Renegade Elite Di2, Cube Reaction Race > ROUGH
  • mamba80
    mamba80 wrote:

They (or any other party) will save you, your family and the country from Corbyn. Simples :wink:

yeah right.
  • Stevo_666
    mamba80 wrote:
    mamba80 wrote:

yeah right.
    They will. Because they're in, Corbyn isn't.

As you're a self confessed higher rate taxpayer, your desire to have more tax flowing into the government's coffers will be come true on a very personal level if Corbyn's lot get in :wink: