Stage 8 Giro d'Italia 2015 *SPOILERS*

Comments

• frenchfighter
    frenchfighter Posts: 30,642
    Fast climb that one - a bit difficult to attack. Good on Aru for giving it a go but not killer attacks. Wonder how long Porte will ride wheels. Gret job Contador - must be in pain but looked at no point under pressure. Shame his team were awol on the last climb even if he didn't need them. Congratulations Intxausti - a very strong rider so not too surprising.
    Contador is the Greatest
  • blazing_saddles
    blazing_saddles Posts: 22,706
    edited May 2015
    And I thought the 2002 sprint finish on this climb was dull......

Bertie continues in the role of the little boy who cried wolf....
    "Science is a tool for cheaters". An anonymous French PE teacher.
  • frenchfighter
    Contador even managed to double his lead to four seconds over Aru thanks to the intermediate sprint seconds he won during the stage.
    Contador is the Greatest
  • disgruntledgoat
    disgruntledgoat Posts: 8,957
    Fast climb that one - a bit difficult to attack. Good on Aru for giving it a go but not killer attacks. Wonder how long Porte will ride wheels. Gret job Contador - must be in pain but looked at no point under pressure. Shame his team were awol on the last climb even if he didn't need them. Congratulations Intxausti - a very strong rider so not too surprising.

Did you miss the 300m Porte hammered on the front?
    "In many ways, my story was that of a raging, Christ-like figure who hauled himself off the cross, looked up at the Romans with blood in his eyes and said 'My turn, sock cookers'"

@gietvangent
  • disgruntledgoat

SOrry, but Gibo won that day making it one of the 8 best Giro stages of all time
    "In many ways, my story was that of a raging, Christ-like figure who hauled himself off the cross, looked up at the Romans with blood in his eyes and said 'My turn, sock cookers'"

@gietvangent
  • thomthom
    thomthom Posts: 3,574

Contador was the only one riding wheels here. And you know that.
  • LeePaton
    LeePaton Posts: 353
    SO we can all agree Contador is fine?!

Aru looks the most aprightly just not able to make it killer yet, Porte will be the strongest in the end i sadly feel for my PTP. Oh and credit to Uran today.
    It's not so much about winning, I just hate losing.
  • above_the_cows
    above_the_cows Posts: 11,406
    Well that was something of a save for my PTP.

Gutted for Kruijswijk though.
    Correlation is not causation.
  • milton50
    milton50 Posts: 3,856
    Milton50 wrote:
    Well that was a bit of an anti climax. Aru, Contador and Porte very closely matched. Astana are going to have to grind the others down slowly.

Interesting that Contador has the weakest team though. Or he's wasted them drilling it from 30km out every day.

Yep, and if Astana keep a couple of guys in the top 8 and force others to work then eventually that numerical advantage will tell. Aru needs it to though because he'll lose a good 3 minutes in the time trial.
  • thomthom
    Can not believe Contador had to get his helmet on with one hand. Hilarious stuff.
  • blazing_saddles

SOrry, but Gibo won that day making it one of the 8 best Giro stages of all time

Very true, but it's also hard to forget what happened the next day.
    That was gutting.
  • frenchfighter

:?: :shock:
    ThomThom wrote:

He had a twice disclocated and a crash at 40mph. He is also in the lead. Him riding wheels is exactly what he should be doing. And you know that.
    Contador is the Greatest
  • above_the_cows
    Do you think Betancur might get jealous of Bert's porky pies?
  • frenchfighter
    ThomThom wrote:
    Can not believe Contador had to get his helmet on with one hand. Hilarious stuff.

Yes, rolling around laughing.
    Contador is the Greatest
  • disgruntledgoat
    Milton50 wrote:
    Milton50 wrote:
    Well that was a bit of an anti climax. Aru, Contador and Porte very closely matched. Astana are going to have to grind the others down slowly.

Interesting that Contador has the weakest team though. Or he's wasted them drilling it from 30km out every day.

Yep, and if Astana keep a couple of guys in the top 8 and force others to work then eventually that numerical advantage will tell. Aru needs it to though because he'll lose a good 3 minutes in the time trial.

He needs to stay in touch and try and use the dolomites to gain some advantage then.

Really not impressed with Contador's monkeyshine. Although Merckx was a massive cry-baby who never had a headache when he could have had a brain tumor too.

@gietvangent
  • No_Ta_Doctor
    No_Ta_Doctor Posts: 14,535
    So first stage this year I get a chance to watch properly, and ... meh.

Not many that will want to ride with Intxausti again after that display of dying swan to swooping eagle.

And Contador is fine.
    Warning No formatter is installed for the format
  • frenchfighter
    Major fail by Aru and Porte. If they can't drop a suffering Contador when they have two teammates and he has none then I struggle to see how they are going to drop him on the real mountains. Porte could just have been gentlemanly though.
    Contador is the Greatest
  • disgruntledgoat

:?: :shock:
    ThomThom wrote:

He had a twice disclocated and a crash at 40mph. He is also in the lead. Him riding wheels is exactly what he should be doing. And you know that.

Leave aside his injury. He has no need to force the pace anyway as he's winning. I'll not criticise him for that

@gietvangent
  • thegibdog
    thegibdog Posts: 2,106
    Aru agrees with the general forum opinion that there is nothing wrong with Contador. :)
  • above_the_cows
    Just looking at Bert adjusting his hat, that is a man with only a very minor subluxation if at all.
  • frenchfighter
    1 Benat Intxausti (Spa) Movistar Team 4:51:34
    2 Mikel Landa Meana (Spa) Astana Pro Team 0:00:20
    3 Sébastien Reichenbach (Swi) IAM Cycling 0:00:31
    4 Fabio Aru (Ita) Astana Pro Team 0:00:35
    5 Alberto Contador (Spa) Tinkoff-Saxo
    6 Richie Porte (Aus) Team Sky
    7 Rigoberto Uran (Col) Etixx - Quick-Step
    8 Dario Cataldo (Ita) Astana Pro Team
    9 Damiano Cunego (Ita) Nippo - Vini Fantini 0:00:45
    10 Damiano Caruso (Ita) BMC Racing Team
    Contador is the Greatest
  • frisbee
    frisbee Posts: 691
    You can just see him thinking, "Don't use my left hand for anything!", on the podium.

I bet he's got the worse fake I'm going to be sick and off work tomorrow cough.
  • blazing_saddles
    Contador obviously has a serious acting career planned for when he retires next season.
    There will be a lot of :roll: conversations over various team dinner tables, this evening.
    Remarkable how well he is going after this double dislocation lark, cos his team are utter shiite.
    Lucky for him there was Porte and the Sky lads to help save his pink jersey.
  • disgruntledgoat
    You have to wonder why, if he is really hurt, would he tell everyone he's really hurt.

Remember when that doctor had to operate on him last summer? In his living room. With no anesthetic.

@gietvangent
  • RichN95.
    RichN95. Posts: 27,241
    Major fail by Aru and Porte. If they can't drop a suffering Contador when they have two teammates and he has none then I struggle to see how they are going to drop him on the real mountains. Porte could just have been gentlemanly though.
    Porte's not intending to drop him. He's intending to thump him in the time trial.
    Twitter: @RichN95
  • thomthom
    He had a twice disclocated
    Did he though?
    and a crash at 40mph.
    No, it wasn't. The guy who crashed at 40 actually got hurt.
  • thomthom
    edited May 2015
    ThomThom wrote:

Yes, rolling around laughing.

I did. He acted as he had lost he his entire left side of his body.
  • frenchfighter
    One thing is for sure, if Contador was not riding under serious pain, he would have attacked and put 30 secs into those guys easy. Just wait until he recovers and goes full gas on one of the four stages to come:

profile-15.jpg
    profile-16.jpg
    profile-19.jpg
    profile-20.jpg
    Contador is the Greatest
  • above_the_cows
    If he'd dislocated it twice rather than had a minor subluxation which is what is now being reported, there is no way I would have just seen him running his left hand over the top of his head just now.
  • LeePaton
    LeePaton Posts: 353
    I think Porte has this sewn up, no one can gap him thus far on a slope and he has the best TT I reckon. Hence Aru attacking on every single climb.
    It's not so much about winning, I just hate losing.