Stage 8 Giro d'Italia 2015 *SPOILERS*

FJS
FJS Posts: 4,820
edited May 2015 in Pro race
Stage 8, decent early mountain stage, with a proper finish climb.
Tinkoff may want to let a break go to get rid of the leaders jersey for a week or so.
tappa_dettagli_tecnici_altimetria_082015.jpg

Early break caught again on the first climb. There's be more attempts

More importantly, Contador just back in the peloton after being dropped on the first climb

Comments

• Pross
    Pross Posts: 43,162
    This is going to be brutal judging by the early average of 45kph on a hilly stage. Took 50km for the break to establish and now live on ES.
  • Pross
    Lazarus gained 2 secs in the intermediate sprint.
  • FJS
    Nice little group away with Kruiijswijk, Pellizzotti, Betancur, Reichenbach and Bongiorno
  • Pross
    FJS wrote:
    Nice little group away with Kruiijswijk, Pellizzotti, Betancur, Reichenbach and Bongiorno

From a PTP point of view I hope they stay away!
  • FJS
    edited May 2015
    FJS wrote:
    Group has got bigger, with Zacharin, Intxausti, Niemiec, Danielson and others. Basically all climbers further back on GC. Predictable
  • Pross
    Is my recollection right that in the Giro a 1st cat climb is the hardest and they don't have an equivalent of an HC?
  • Pross
    Main peloton is already very small. I thought they were only on the first categorised climb? Could be a few outside the time limit on this stage after that early pace!

Edit, not as small as I'd thought actually.
  • FJS
    Pross wrote:
    Is my recollection right that in the Giro a 1st cat climb is the hardest and they don't have an equivalent of an HC?
    Yeah, they don't have HC. But the whole categorisation in the Giro is even more of a mess than in the TdF without much connection with how hard climbs actually are. Lots of hard uncategorised climbs
  • FJS
    Kruijskwijk solo with more than a minute on the rest of the break, with 120 km to go. On a gradual climb where slipstreaming definitely helps. Suicide?
  • Pross
    My prediction is 3 hours of boredom followed by a 1-2km effort from the favourites after the break gets gradually reeled in at the bottom of the final climb. I suspect an afternoon snooze is in order, as Carlton isn't commentating I should only get woken if anything genuinely exciting happens.
  • Macaloon
    Macaloon Posts: 5,545
    Pross wrote:
    FJS wrote:

20pvhqu.jpg
    Betancur and Kruijswijk in the break. Babymakers for riders The_Boy and Ridgerider.
    ...a rare 100% loyal Pro Race poster. A poster boy for the community.
  • rick_chasey
    rick_chasey Posts: 75,661
    Pellizotti is making a thing of riding 150m in front of the breakaway.
  • Pross
    Really need Aru and Porte to be outside the points due to my tardiness in getting a pick in today. Currently only 1 point off the lead but I'll plummet down the leaderboard if either of those 2 score big points.
  • The_Boy
    The_Boy Posts: 3,099
    Contador managing to eat his lunch without breaking a leg. Skillz.
    Team My Man 2018: David gaudu, Pierre Latour, Romain Bardet, Thibaut pinot, Alexandre Geniez, Florian Senechal, Warren Barguil, Benoit Cosnefroy
  • The_Boy
    The_Boy Posts: 3,099
    Betacur going well down hill. Granted he has gravity on his side...
    Team My Man 2018: David gaudu, Pierre Latour, Romain Bardet, Thibaut pinot, Alexandre Geniez, Florian Senechal, Warren Barguil, Benoit Cosnefroy
  • ridgerider
    ridgerider Posts: 2,852
    Pross wrote:
    FJS wrote:

Absolutely!!!
    Half man, Half bike
  • Pross
    Good trio out front. Nice to see Betancur looking keen. Pelizotti, Kruiijswijk and Betancur - could see them holding out unless the GC guys decide to test each other.
  • LeePaton
    LeePaton Posts: 353
    These Israel adverts bug me.

I'm expecting a Contador resurgence today.
    It's not so much about winning, I just hate losing.
  • Macaloon
    Hipster banana for Carlos.
  • Crampeur
    Crampeur Posts: 1,065
    Macaloon wrote:
    Hipster banana for Carlos.

His nickname is "Bananito."
  • Pross
    Betancur appears to have lost a lot of weight, looks much more the rider he used to be.
  • Crampeur
    Crampeur Posts: 1,065
    Kristof Vandewalle has bridged to the break.
  • disgruntledgoat
    disgruntledgoat Posts: 8,957
    Macaloon wrote:
    Pross wrote:
    FJS wrote:

20pvhqu.jpg
    Betancur and Kruijswijk in the break. Babymakers for riders The_Boy and Ridgerider.

Moot point, but I hope my pick of Iljo for every single stage counted! I'll raise all kinds of keen if he wins one and you thought I was joking.
    "In many ways, my story was that of a raging, Christ-like figure who hauled himself off the cross, looked up at the Romans with blood in his eyes and said 'My turn, sock cookers'"

@gietvangent
  • rick_chasey
    rick_chasey Posts: 75,661
    Pretty.
  • Pross
    I've never really understood the geography of Italy. I assumed they were much further north as I didn't expect to see a ski resort so far south. I think of it being hot in that part of Italy. What range is it, Appenines?
  • above_the_cows
    above_the_cows Posts: 11,406
    Nice to see the weather there is just like here.
    Correlation is not causation.
  • above_the_cows
    above_the_cows Posts: 11,406
    Pross wrote:
    I've never really understood the geography of Italy. I assumed they were much further north as I didn't expect to see a ski resort so far south. I think of it being hot in that part of Italy. What range is it, Appenines?

Yes the Appenines. If it's high enough there will be snow. You can ski in Lebanon and that is much further south than Italy which is not that far south. Rome is on the same latitude as Girona in Spain. Italy starts far further north than thought. The south of Sicily is still further north than the south of Spain for example and you can ski there.
    Correlation is not causation.
  • Macaloon
    Carlos admiring Kruijswijk's banana suit.
  • Pross
    Surely Bertie's fashion faux pas in this race must be endangering his status with Frenchie? Fluo yellow arm warmers over the top of the sleeves of the pink jersey plus fluo yellow gilet is even offensive to my eyes plus he's already on a warning for the black shoes!!
  • emadden
    emadden Posts: 2,431
    Really enjoying Rob Hatch's style of commentry and knowledge. IMO He could be the next Harmon on Eurosport.
    www.dotcycling.com