BREXIT - Is This Really Still Rumbling On? 😴

Comments

• Stevo_666 said:

I just wonder if Rees-Smug's projection of seeing the benefits of Brexit within 50 years might come true... if within that 50 years the UK does re-join the SM and free movement returns with the toxicity largely removed because of the failure of the Brexit experiment.

Seems about the right timescale, but hopefully sooner.

That's based on the assumption that the EU will last that long, at least in a form that is vaguely similar to what there's today. 50 years is a long time. Long enough for most of us to be dead by then.

Maybe re the EU, but I suspect that whatever happens, in the long term it won't be based on putting up barriers between nearby wealthy trading blocs, given that the general momentum has been to removing artificial barriers over the past several centuries.

Mind you, if Trump gets back in, I'm not sure that the US is guaranteed a future either in its current form.

I'd just like to see a slightly more rational and tolerant world before I die, rather than the one the current Republican and Tory parties seem to want. But I might have to accept that the world has gone mad and retreat (when the time comes) to where it can't get me. ⚰️
    I think you need to jolly well cheer up and maybe change your media consumption.

To get you under way here are some FACTS!!!

The USA is under no threat from 4 years of Trump.
    The EU will not cease to exist that is just lunatic whatabbouttery from Brexiteers
    You need to accept that we will not rejoin the EU in your lifetime
  • briantrumpet
    briantrumpet Posts: 19,668

Stevo_666 said:

I just wonder if Rees-Smug's projection of seeing the benefits of Brexit within 50 years might come true... if within that 50 years the UK does re-join the SM and free movement returns with the toxicity largely removed because of the failure of the Brexit experiment.

That's based on the assumption that the EU will last that long, at least in a form that is vaguely similar to what there's today. 50 years is a long time. Long enough for most of us to be dead by then.

Maybe re the EU, but I suspect that whatever happens, in the long term it won't be based on putting up barriers between nearby wealthy trading blocs, given that the general momentum has been to removing artificial barriers over the past several centuries.

Mind you, if Trump gets back in, I'm not sure that the US is guaranteed a future either in its current form.

I'd just like to see a slightly more rational and tolerant world before I die, rather than the one the current Republican and Tory parties seem to want. But I might have to accept that the world has gone mad and retreat (when the time comes) to where it can't get me. ⚰️
    I think you need to jolly well cheer up and maybe change your media consumption.

The EU will not cease to exist that is just lunatic whatabbouttery from Brexiteers

Several conservative commentators (including those who served under GWB) disagree with you.

Re EU - that's why I referenced JRM's 50-year timescale. I'll be happy if I witness the movement back to pragmatism on improving the relationship with the EU: SM & CU would be splendid enough for starters.
  • sungod
    sungod Posts: 17,176
    Jezyboy said:

I suspect the anti argument would be that we would end up with 1m net immigration, because we have 700,000 at the minute and FoM could add 300k to that potentially.

1 million would be quite a weighty number.

fom would restore the rights uk people lost, there'd be some outflow

even now i know people moving to eu, with fom that's bound to increase

many of the positions once filled by eu nationals have either vanished due to economic damage of brexit/covid/war/government, or filled by others whether uk or migrants on permits, i'd think most inward flow would initially be filling shortages, which is economically beneficial, especially for all the brexit-voting farmers who then whined about lack of pickers, vets etc.

most immigration is legal, seems likely that if eu increased, then non-eu would decrease as uk would no longer need to issue all those work permits and visas
    my bike - faster than god's and twice as shiny
  • Stevo_666 said:

Several conservative commentators (including those who served under GWB) disagree with you.

Re EU - that's why I referenced JRM's 50-year timescale. I'll be happy if I witness the movement back to pragmatism on improving the relationship with the EU: SM & CU would be splendid enough for starters.
    I gently suggest that your choice of media consumption is giving you a jaundiced view of the world and you refute it by quoting a group of nutters called "Republicans Against Trump"

• pblakeney
    pblakeney Posts: 27,016

Stevo_666 said:

I gently suggest that your choice of media consumption is giving you a jaundiced view of the world and you refute it by quoting a group of nutters called "Republicans Against Trump"

I'm curious as to what media I should be looking at as a quick Google suggests everyone thinks he has a chance. The only variable is how high a chance.
    The above may be fact, or fiction, I may be serious, I may be jesting.
    I am not sure. You have no chance.
    Veronese68 wrote:
    PB is the most sensible person on here.
  • Jezyboy
    Jezyboy Posts: 3,538

Stevo_666 said:

Disagree
    Agree
    Depends on the definition of rejoin.

Trump looks the most likely candidate for the republicans, and you always have a chance in a 2 horse race.

The EU has weathered Brexit well, I think there are challenges up ahead with the far right, but I don't see it being an existential threat.

I suspect whatever happens to the Tories post election, there will be a more prominent right wing pro Europe school of thought. I think further softening of relations will follow, although I don't think it will be full membership.
  • pblakeney said:

Stevo_666 said:

I'm curious as to what media I should be looking at as a quick Google suggests everyone thinks he has a chance. The only variable is how high a chance.
    keep up at the back!!!

It is not whether he gets in (50/50) but;

"Mind you, if Trump gets back in, I'm not sure that the US is guaranteed a future either in its current form."
  • briantrumpet

Stevo_666 said:

Republicans warning about Trump include many of the people who worked for him 2016-2020, including attorneys who worked for him, and Senators Romney, Kinsinger and Cheney.

• Jezyboy
    Jezyboy Posts: 3,538

pblakeney said:

Stevo_666 said:

keep up at the back!!!

"Mind you, if Trump gets back in, I'm not sure that the US is guaranteed a future either in its current form."
    My mistake. Must learn comprehension!
  • pblakeney

pblakeney said:

Stevo_666 said:

keep up at the back!!!

The two go hand in hand imo.
    Veronese68 wrote:
  • pblakeney said:

pblakeney said:

Stevo_666 said:

keep up at the back!!!

The US Constitution has checks and balances to stop bad things happening

• pblakeney said:

pblakeney said:

Stevo_666 said:

keep up at the back!!!

• pblakeney

pblakeney said:

pblakeney said:

Stevo_666 said:

keep up at the back!!!

I give you 06/01/2021 as a taster.
    Not to mention what world events he would begin/antagonise/escalate.
    Veronese68 wrote:
  • pblakeney said:

pblakeney said:

pblakeney said:

Stevo_666 said:

keep up at the back!!!

I give you 06/01/2021 as a taster.
    Not to mention what world events he would begin/antagonise/escalate.
    Go on, remind me what happened on that date and then we can check outthe long term consequences
  • rick_chasey
    rick_chasey Posts: 75,661
    Ukraine is f@cked if Trump wins
  • Ukraine is f@cked if Trump wins

get off my hobbyhorse
  • briantrumpet
    Good news. Tory minister hails deal with the EU by which the UK makes a multi-billion-£ contribution in order to participate in mutually beneficial programmes. Maybe the idea will catch on.

Speaking to reporters on a visit to Brussels to mark the occasion, U.K. Science Minister Michelle Donelan described the agreement to join the program as “a bespoke deal.”

“Our association with Horizon gives us a seat at the table in the world's largest research collaboration program,” she said.

“So there's good news for scientists, for researchers, up and down the country in the U.K. We're delighted that we've managed to get to a point where we reached an agreement.”

The Cabinet minister conceded that the U.K. would not have voting rights in the scheme under the agreement, but noted that when the U.K. was last a member of the program it led 25 percent of the projects it participated in.

Britain is set to contribute around €2.43 billion per year on average to the EU budget for its participation in the program, as well as roughly €154 million for membership of the Copernicus earth observation program.
  • Stevo_666
    Stevo_666 Posts: 60,762
    "I spent most of my money on birds, booze and fast cars: the rest of it I just squandered." [George Best]
  • rick_chasey
    rick_chasey Posts: 75,661
    Stevo_666 said:
    Larry Elliot is probably Corbyn's favourite economics writer.

If you were going to persuade @surrey_commuter that you are deep down a right winger and haven't followed the Tory party down the (old fashioned view of) left wing populism, you're not doing a very good job.
  • Stevo_666 said:

If you were going to persuade @surrey_commuter that you are deep down a right winger and haven't followed the Tory party down the (old fashioned view of) left wing populism, you're not doing a very good job.
    mentally change his avatar to a pic of Ed Miliband
  • Stevo_666

Stevo_666 said:

I don't care whose favourite economics wroter he is, he seems to have got it right in this specific case. Which specific bits of the article do you disagree with?
    "I spent most of my money on birds, booze and fast cars: the rest of it I just squandered." [George Best]
  • pangolin
    pangolin Posts: 6,604
    Stevo_666 said:

Stevo_666 said:

I don't care whose favourite economics wroter he is, he seems to have got it right in this specific case. Which specific bits of the article do you disagree with?
    He seems to be echoing many on here who have said it's not a catastrophe but things are just a bit shitter than they would be (and with no real benefits).

Brexit provided opportunities to do things differently but those opportunities have so far not been exploited.
    As usual no mention of what these mysterious "opportunities" might be.

The last 5 paragraphs are a bizarre take on how we have high immigration but that hasn't resulted in a right wing government. Eh?
    - Genesis Croix de Fer
    - Dolan Tuono
  • Stevo_666
    edited December 2023
    pangolin said:

Stevo_666 said:

Stevo_666 said:

He seems to be echoing many on here who have said it's not a catastrophe but things are just a bit shitter than they would be (and with no real benefits).

Brexit provided opportunities to do things differently but those opportunities have so far not been exploited.
    As usual no mention of what these mysterious "opportunities" might be.

The last 5 paragraphs are a bizarre take on how we have high immigration but that hasn't resulted in a right wing government. Eh?

Did you deliberately miss the point of the article? Which was that we won't be rejoining the EU.
  • briantrumpet
    edited December 2023
    Stevo_666 said:

Did you deliberately miss the point of the article? Which was that we won't be rejoining the EU.

Be careful what you wish for. He has an agenda, and I just have a suspicion it's not one you'd like.

• pangolin
    pangolin Posts: 6,604
    Stevo_666 said:

Ah sorry Stevo when you asked which bits people disagreed with you forgot to make it multiple choice so I thought we were allowed to pick.

- Genesis Croix de Fer
    - Dolan Tuono
  • Stevo_666 said:

Be careful what you wish for. He has an agenda, and I just have a suspicion it's not one you'd like.

When you look at the increase in state intervention he was not wrong
  • rjsterry
    rjsterry Posts: 29,144

1985 Mercian King of Mercia - work in progress (Hah! Who am I kidding?)
    Pinnacle Monzonite

Part of the anti-growth coalition
  • TheBigBean
    TheBigBean Posts: 21,587
    The EU has a agreed a three year extension on car tariffs at the last minute. Very predictable.
  • Stevo_666
    edited December 2023
    pangolin said:

Stevo_666 said:

Ah sorry Stevo when you asked which bits people disagreed with you forgot to make it multiple choice so I thought we were allowed to pick.

Apology accepted Pango. I did however make clear the point that I was making in my post above. Maybe you just didn't understand.
  • Stevo_666

The EU has a agreed a three year extension on car tariffs at the last minute. Very predictable.

Big back down by the EU so won't be discussed much on here.