BREXIT - Is This Really Still Rumbling On? 😴

Comments

• Jezyboy
    Jezyboy Posts: 3,538
    Works really well so long as you're an only child, your parents die young and without needing any care...
  • TheBigBean
    TheBigBean Posts: 21,610

pblakeney said:

pblakeney said:

So more accurate would be “after housing costs, pensioners are better off than workers” > no need to take out 35 year mortgages to buy houses and avoid renting eh?

Spurious statistics.
    You can't simply discount everyone's major cost just because it has been paid off.
    Why not? Not everyone owns houses.

Structure of housing markets impacts everyone’s lives and costs.

Current structure massively penalises people who buy houses later rather than earlier. So that is also a generational shift
    Old people have had the time to pay off their mortgage.
    Young people haven't. This is obvious.
    Honestly, it boils my p!ss how much old people fail to understand how much more expensive (versus wages) houses are, either as rent or to buy.

It’s infuriating.

Those costs are compounded year after year. That adds to a vast amount of lost income.

Please for the love of god just recognise this.
    You never seem to balance this against all the various things that are now better. For example, you can now regularly work from home.
  • rick_chasey
    rick_chasey Posts: 75,661

pblakeney said:

pblakeney said:

So more accurate would be “after housing costs, pensioners are better off than workers” > no need to take out 35 year mortgages to buy houses and avoid renting eh?

Spurious statistics.
    You can't simply discount everyone's major cost just because it has been paid off.

Current structure massively penalises people who buy houses later rather than earlier. So that is also a generational shift
    Honestly, it boils my p!ss how much old people fail to understand how much more expensive (versus wages) houses are, either as rent or to buy.

It’s infuriating.

Those costs are compounded year after year. That adds to a vast amount of lost income.

You never seem to balance this against all the various things that are now better. For example, you can now regularly work from home.
    So because there is progress somewhere we shouldn’t try to advance process elsewhere?!
  • Jezyboy
    Jezyboy Posts: 3,538

pblakeney said:

pblakeney said:

Spurious statistics.

It’s infuriating.

In the case of millennials I think you mean work from the bedroom of your house share 😆

• ddraver
    ddraver Posts: 26,664
    (not one of your best Bean... :D )
    We're in danger of confusing passion with incompetence
    - @ddraver
  • TheBigBean
    Jezyboy said:

pblakeney said:

pblakeney said:

Spurious statistics.

It’s infuriating.

In the case of millennials I think you mean work from the bedroom of your house share 😆

A friend of mine has moved to the sticks and continued his same job with much cheaper housing, no commute and more family time. Not something boomers could have done.

That doesn't mean high housing costs are not an issue, but I don't understand constantly making out to be a victim.
  • rick_chasey

Jezyboy said:

pblakeney said:

pblakeney said:

Spurious statistics.

It’s infuriating.

A friend of mine has moved to the sticks and continued his same job with much cheaper housing, no commute and more family time. Not something boomers could have done.

That doesn't mean high housing costs are not an issue, but I don't understand constantly making out to be a victim.
    Because it’s a national issue that affects millions.
  • rjsterry
    rjsterry Posts: 29,151
    Stevo_666 said:

rjsterry said:

Stevo_666 said:

Pross said:

Stevo_666 said:

rjsterry said:

Stevo_666 said:

Stevo_666 said:

Stevo_666 said:

Stevo_666 said:

So few self consessed lefties on here but plenty people jumping in to defend Labour :) Makes you wonder...

Your salesmanship for voting Tory is going to need a little more than that. Go on, try being positive about the Tories and their record and policies... anything will do. Persuade us.

If you can' persuade the reasonably well-off professionals most of the posters on CS seem to be, then it's going to be even harder for the Tory party to persuade the average voter in the country they've shafted right royally.
    The point is about why people like you are so quick defend Labour. I'm flushing out the closet lefties I reckon ;)

Saying that we don't think they will be as totally shït as the Tories have been ain't a great 'defence'. As it is, in East Devon, I suspect I'll be voting Lib Dem, if they've got the best chance of booting out the Tory.

I'm more amused that you've not even tried to give us positive reasons to vote Conservative.

Incidentally, the 'Guess the author' quiz I set was true-blue loopy Allister Heath in the Telegraph, and even he's given up on the Tories, so I probably ought to give you credit for being one of the last men standing proudly with your blue rosette.
    And you haven't given me any positive reasons to vote Labour or any fringe party; your only rationale is 'they're not tories'. Consider me unconvinced.

That said, I have a pretty feeling that if Labour get in, they will try to shaft me.

I've done just that over on the appropriate thread, even though getting rid of the current Tories is enough for me as a first step. I'm not sure if you've taken it in, but I do want a decent & competent Tory Party to re-emerge: unlike you, I value the contribution of a good opposition that can both hold a government to account and to present a viable alternative when, as is inevitable, the ruling party eventually paddles itself up shït creek.
    I would prefer a competent Labour party to be in opposition.
    Obviously. Others would prioritise competence over political flavour. The tax regime affects different people differently. 'Success' means different things for different people - certainly not just financial. Proportionally, I am getting rinsed by the current government so the prospect of Labour taxing me even more seems less of a threat. That will be different for others. The draft proposals on employment law from Labour are much less appealing. We already put considerable effort into making our business somewhere people want to work but if you're an employee I imagine some of that sounds great.

Fundamentally, I think the current Conservative party have become more interested in arguing with itself than governing, and that is reason enough to make way for someone more hungry for governance.
    Talking of rinsing, if Labour reinstate the lifetime pension limit, it will cost me a six figure sum in tax if they are in power when I retire. And that's before anything else they are likely to come up with on income tax or wealth taxes. They can FRO.
    It was only removed 6 weeks ago so we’re you happy when the Tories we’re going to rinse you or have you suddenly massively increased your pension pot despite knowing an incoming Labour government was likely?
    No, it was an issue, but not any more. Labour is the clear threat as they have stated that they will reintroduce it. And as mentioned, that is unlikely to be the only thing they do to damage my prosperity. But what do you expect from the enemy of success?
    It's odd that an active policy wasn't enough of an issue to change your vote four years ago, but the prospect of the same policy is now much more than an issue. The Conservatives have been talking about lowering taxes for years, but somehow it's never the right time. Sure they can bribe you with a tax break but there aren't nearly enough recipients to win an election, so it's a bit short-sighted as a policy.
    Did any party have the removal of the limit in their manifesto 4 years ago?

Look at it another way if it helps. Put yourself in my shoes, consider the pension tax issue above and ask yourself who you would vote for to best look after your future financial interests. It's not a difficult one to answer :smile:
    I understand your point. I could say similar about corporation tax. On either, I'm not sure there are enough individuals to whom these things make a difference to keep a party in government.
    1985 Mercian King of Mercia - work in progress (Hah! Who am I kidding?)
    Pinnacle Monzonite

Part of the anti-growth coalition
  • Stevo_666
    Stevo_666 Posts: 60,777

Stevo_666 said:

The 'millennial whine' on housing will start to subside once they start inheriting their parents houses.

…in another 20-30 years…
    Patience is a virtue.
    "I spent most of my money on birds, booze and fast cars: the rest of it I just squandered." [George Best]
  • kingstongraham
    kingstongraham Posts: 27,827
    Vote Conservative and everything will be better when you're in your 60s. *conditions apply
  • rick_chasey
    Stevo_666 said:

Stevo_666 said:

The 'millennial whine' on housing will start to subside once they start inheriting their parents houses.

…in another 20-30 years…
    Patience is a virtue.
    What’s the point of a big house after the kids have left?!
  • pangolin
    pangolin Posts: 6,607

Stevo_666 said:

Stevo_666 said:

…in another 20-30 years…
    Patience is a virtue.
    More room to pace up and down ranting about immigrants
    - Genesis Croix de Fer
    - Dolan Tuono
  • Stevo_666

Stevo_666 said:

Stevo_666 said:

…in another 20-30 years…
    Patience is a virtue.
    Its down to individual circumstances and preferences.

That said, the oldest millenials are in their early 40s now so the de-whining might start sooner than your estimate.
    "I spent most of my money on birds, booze and fast cars: the rest of it I just squandered." [George Best]
  • super_davo
    super_davo Posts: 1,205
    orraloon said:

Wtf has UK housing market pricing got to do with Brexshit?

WTF did the made up stories about Brussels bureaucratic rules, trading or not trading with Asia or "the left behind" actually have to do with Britain being in the EU in the first place?

Going wildly off topic and finding someone to blame seems entirely in keeping with the way everything has been conducted all the way along...
  • veronese68
    veronese68 Posts: 27,718
    Good point by 'loon, I was about to agree with it, but then that's an even better counter by SD.
  • Stevo_666 said:

Stevo_666 said:

…in another 20-30 years…
    Patience is a virtue.
    Saves the costs of moving which with stamp duty and various fees are circa £25k.

I only want to move house once more and that’s when I’m too old to look after myself, which as I’m 54, I’m hoping is a few years yet.

Plus it saves room for when the kids come and visit.

And with a big house, you’re never short of space for new bikes.

Not sure you really thought that question through!

• rick_chasey
    edited May 2023

Stevo_666 said:

Stevo_666 said:

…in another 20-30 years…
    Patience is a virtue.
    Saves the costs of moving which with stamp duty and various fees are circa £25k.

I only want to move house once more and that’s when I’m too old to look after myself, which as I’m 54, I’m hoping is a few years yet.

I dunno. It seems mad to me that my parents and parent in law rattle around houses with 4,5, 6 bedrooms for the two of them (or just one of them) while we will have to make the children share a bedroom if we have another.

And replicate that across the country.
  • Stevo_666

Stevo_666 said:

Stevo_666 said:

…in another 20-30 years…
    Patience is a virtue.

£25k of stamp duty? Bargain.

Its nice to have a bit of space, which as mentioned above is down to individual circumstances and preferences. And let's add in the ability to house a Ukrainian refugee which we did for a while.

I suppose if Rick feels that strongly about it he could save a packet by moving his family in with his parents or in-laws, then they wouldn't need to move when they come into their inheritance.
  • Stevo_666 said:

Stevo_666 said:

…in another 20-30 years…
    Patience is a virtue.

I dunno. It seems mad to me that my parents and parent in law rattle around houses with 4,5, 6 bedrooms for the two of them (or just one of them) while we will have to make the children share a bedroom if we have another.

Well I wouldn’t necessarily disagree with you tbh. I’ve got a 20 yo and a 19 yo at Uni and being able to buy a house is definitely something I have on my “wish list” for them. But you asked why people whose kids have left live in an overly large house not whether it’s socially a good thing in general.

• Stevo_666 said:

Stevo_666 said:

Stevo_666 said:

…in another 20-30 years…
    Patience is a virtue.

£25k of stamp duty? Bargain
    Well there’s always a price to pay for being a southern softie rather than living in God’s Own County!

• webboo
    webboo Posts: 6,087
    The way to buy your house when your young is to the join the armed forces. They will lend you money towards your deposit.
  • Stevo_666

Stevo_666 said:

Stevo_666 said:

Stevo_666 said:

…in another 20-30 years…
    Patience is a virtue.

Well there’s always a price to pay for being a southern softie rather than living in God’s Own County!

Fair point.

You do sound a bit like the pilot in this sketch though :smile:
    https://youtu.be/xOeDM3FSnpI
  • surrey_commuter
    surrey_commuter Posts: 18,867

Stevo_666 said:

Stevo_666 said:

…in another 20-30 years…
    Patience is a virtue.

Why not sell the third house and divvy up the proceeds?
  • Stevo_666 said:

Stevo_666 said:

Stevo_666 said:

Stevo_666 said:

…in another 20-30 years…
    Patience is a virtue.

Fair point.

I’m guessing that you travel “Alan Bennett Class”!
  • Stevo_666

Stevo_666 said:

Stevo_666 said:

Stevo_666 said:

Stevo_666 said:

…in another 20-30 years…
    Patience is a virtue.

Fair point.

I’m guessing that you travel “Alan Bennett Class”!
    Nah, they don't serve Mushies :smile:
  • TheBigBean
    edited May 2023
    Jonathan Portes writing in the Guardian thinks the new Brexit immigration system works.

https://www.theguardian.com/commentisfree/2023/may/23/panic-immigration-brexit-wages-uk-economy
  • TheBigBean
    As this the car industry thread, some news

https://www.bbc.co.uk/news/business-65698529

But don't fear, the Guardian has found some bad Brexit news. Many posters can relax now.

https://www.theguardian.com/politics/2023/may/24/brexit-food-trade-barriers-have-cost-uk-households-7bn-report-finds
  • Stevo_666

But don't fear, the Guardian has found some bad Brexit news. Many posters can relax now.

https://www.theguardian.com/politics/2023/may/24/brexit-food-trade-barriers-have-cost-uk-households-7bn-report-finds

:D
  • rick_chasey

Who to believe indeed.

https://www.ft.com/content/03e2e207-3245-4b2d-92b9-340ba1a468f6

UK set to lose solar investment after developer criticises lack of incentives

Photovoltaics group Oxford PV says Britain is ‘least attractive’ location for new factory