BREXIT - Is This Really Still Rumbling On? 😴

Comments

• webboo
    webboo Posts: 6,087
    At least we have got our blue passports.
  • Stevo_666
    Stevo_666 Posts: 60,768
    webboo said:

Who actually says that and means it?
    "I spent most of my money on birds, booze and fast cars: the rest of it I just squandered." [George Best]
  • briantrumpet
    briantrumpet Posts: 19,681
    Great to see the efforts to keep this thread trending 😃
  • Stevo_666

Great to see the efforts to keep this thread trending 😃

Once I stop posting stuff about beneficial UK trade deals that get people all defensive about the EU it'll die down again ;)
    "I spent most of my money on birds, booze and fast cars: the rest of it I just squandered." [George Best]
  • briantrumpet
    I'd call it a margin-of-error trade deal, but full credit for reviving the thread with it, thanks.
  • Stevo_666

I'd call it a margin-of-error trade deal, but full credit for reviving the thread with it, thanks.

Glad you admit that it needs reviving. Wonder why it does? ;)
  • briantrumpet
    Nah, Dover has shown it's still not over by a long chalk, but you've given me the weekend off with your regular commenting. I've been out walking and riding my bike instead.
  • rick_chasey
    rick_chasey Posts: 75,661
    The total ignorance of the gravity of trade is infuriating as it’s one of the few things economists can actually be sure about.
  • surrey_commuter
    surrey_commuter Posts: 18,867

The total ignorance of the gravity of trade is infuriating as it’s one of the few things economists can actually be sure about.

One thing we have learned is the total ignorance of economics.

They don’t understand enough to question why regional trade pacts exist and why countries don’t join ones outside of their own area
  • Stevo_666 said:

Stevo_666 said:

Stevo_666 said:

On the Dover queues.

Do people not remember that having to stamp all your passports and having a "hard border" slows everything down?

This was always going to be the scenario. Everyone who had done more than 3 minutes of reading could see that, as did the government, hence all the additional parking spaces for lorries all over Kent.

My memory must be playing tricks with me as I would have said that by the mid/late '80s you needed to do no more that wave a passport in the general direction of passport control. ie nobody under 40 appreciated the EU as they could not remember life before it.

@Stevo_666 how did Brexiteers think the borders were going to remain seamless for Brits?
    Better ask them. Maybe the French border force should staff up a bit in busy times...
    The question for Brexiteers is thus "Why put yourselves in the position of being reliant on the French for favours at busy times?"

It's no different to when they go on strike, which has happened for decades and seems to happen more often than school holidays.
    True. But as a nation, we can't control the Frenchies going on strike. But as a nation, we had the right to unfettered passage across the border when the Frenchies were working, but we gave away that right, seemingly just so we could get angry more often.

What's good about increasing the number of things that can blow up and leave folk stranded in massive queues when trying to go on hols? Frenchies on strike = bad. Frenchies on strike or passport checking process overwhelmed => even badder, surely.
    There were pluses and minuses to the whole thing.
    It would be good if the government acknowledged this.

For interest, what do you see as the pluses and minuses? Or more accurately, the minuses and pluses, to acknowledge that the minuses, on the whole, occur a lot earlier than the pluses.

And when do you think the aggregate impact of the pluses will offset the aggregate impact of the minuses?

• webboo
    webboo Posts: 6,087
    Stevo_666 said:

webboo said:

Simon Calder when being interviewed about the chaos at Dover.
  • sungod
    sungod Posts: 17,178
    Stevo_666 said:

webboo said:

brexiters, tories mps and ministers made various provably untrue claims in their praise of blue passports, are you agreeing that they were lying?

The return of the navy cover, first used in 1921, is being hailed as a victory by pro-Brexit MPs, who had campaigned for a return to the colour.

Brandon Lewis, the immigration minister, said: “Leaving the EU gives us a unique opportunity to restore our national identity and forge a new path for ourselves in the world.

“That is why I am delighted to announce that the British passport will be returning to the iconic blue and gold design after we have left the European Union in 2019.”

Under a system first agreed by Margaret Thatcher’s government in 1981, Britain is not legally obliged to use the same burgundy design as most other members but agreed to do so in a joint resolution of member states in the European council.

Speaking in April, the Conservative MP Andrew Rosindell said the burgundy EU passport had been a source of national “humiliation”.

“The restoration of our own British passport is a clear statement to the world that Britain is back. Our British identity was slowly but surely being submerged into an artificial European one that most Brits felt increasingly unhappy about,” he told Press Association.

“The humiliation of having a pink European Union passport will now soon be over and the United Kingdom nationals can once again feel pride and self-confidence in their own nationality when travelling, just as the Swiss and Americans can do.

“National identity matters and there is no better way of demonstrating this today than by bringing back this much-loved national symbol when travelling overseas.”
    my bike - faster than god's and twice as shiny
  • briantrumpet
    sungod said:

Stevo_666 said:

webboo said:

brexiters, tories mps and ministers made various provably untrue claims in their praise of blue passports, are you agreeing that they were lying?

The return of the navy cover, first used in 1921, is being hailed as a victory by pro-Brexit MPs, who had campaigned for a return to the colour.

Brandon Lewis, the immigration minister, said: “Leaving the EU gives us a unique opportunity to restore our national identity and forge a new path for ourselves in the world.

“That is why I am delighted to announce that the British passport will be returning to the iconic blue and gold design after we have left the European Union in 2019.”

Under a system first agreed by Margaret Thatcher’s government in 1981, Britain is not legally obliged to use the same burgundy design as most other members but agreed to do so in a joint resolution of member states in the European council.

Speaking in April, the Conservative MP Andrew Rosindell said the burgundy EU passport had been a source of national “humiliation”.

“The restoration of our own British passport is a clear statement to the world that Britain is back. Our British identity was slowly but surely being submerged into an artificial European one that most Brits felt increasingly unhappy about,” he told Press Association.

“The humiliation of having a pink European Union passport will now soon be over and the United Kingdom nationals can once again feel pride and self-confidence in their own nationality when travelling, just as the Swiss and Americans can do.

“National identity matters and there is no better way of demonstrating this today than by bringing back this much-loved national symbol when travelling overseas.”

Call that evidence, huh? 😜
  • pangolin
    pangolin Posts: 6,605
    Stevo_666 said:

pangolin said:

Stevo_666 said:

pangolin said:

Stevo_666 said:

Pross said:

Stevo_666 said:

Stevo_666 said:

Stevo_666 said:

Stevo_666 said:

Stevo_666 said:

Pross said:

Stevo_666 said:

Stevo_666 said:

Stevo_666 said:

Stevo_666 said:

monkimark said:

Over 10 years according the the government's own figures

https://www.bbc.co.uk/news/business-65124741

‐----------------
    And even with some gains in trading the government only estimates it will add 0.08% to the size of the economy in 10 years.
    -----------------

Stevo_666 said:

Stevo_666 said:

Stevo_666 said:

More opinions ;) from the press which paint a positive picture...

The announcement that the UK is to join the Comprehensive and Progressive Trans Pacific Partnership is a huge achievement. It should not be underestimated. This will open up free trade between the UK and 11 economies in the Indo Pacific region. It means free trade not just with Australia and New Zealand but with countries like Japan, Canada and Mexico, as well as Singapore and Vietnam. It will in time prove transformational for the British economy.

These countries have a population of 500 million and a GDP of $9 trillion. Japan is the third largest economy in the world. Of the others, many are fast growing and progressive economies, and then there are the more traditional, stable, developed economies of Australia, Canada and Singapore.

The UK will be in a unique position. It already has a free trade agreement with the EU which may not be quite as liberal as being a member of the single market, but nevertheless gives the UK tariff and quota free access to the EU market, as well as being able to import from the EU duty-free. No country has freer trade with the EU than the UK. Add to that free trade with 500 million people in the Indo-Pacific and the UK has amongst the best trading arrangements of any country on earth.

At the moment, the UK’s trade with the CPTPP countries constitutes just 7.8 per cent of its total trade. Critics may think that is unimportant, but remember: these countries are some of the most economically dynamic on earth. It is estimated that by 2030, 65 per cent of the world’s middle-class consumers will be in the Indo Pacific region. So for the naysayers who think the CPTPP may not be important to the British economy, let me remind them that the growth on trade with those 11 economies is already running at around 8 per cent a year.

Once trade barriers are torn down, expect that trade to grow a great deal faster. And while we have no idea how well British exporters will fare in those Indo Pacific markets, the opportunities have now opened up as never before. Getting into the CPTPP is not just beneficial in the short-term, it is locking the British economy into the most economically dynamic region in the world. It constitutes a very serious investment in the future.

Added to the trade statistics, it is important to remember that UK service suppliers are already deeply integrated with the Indo Pacific region. UK service suppliers exported nearly £30 billion worth of services to CPTPP members in 2019.

Also a reminder that we do have a free trade deal with EU which is better than any other country, according to the article.

Not bad for a bunch of alleged f***wits :smile:

I wish I could get as glowing a report for improving my performance by 0.1% over the next decade.
    I wish I could predict the future like you Brian. I've already set out the likely long term benefits, but you appear to be stuck in the old 'the only good trade deal is with the EU' mindset. Time to broaden your horizons I think.

0.08%
    On what basis and over what period?

Alternatively can I borrow your time machine and travel to the future?
    Given that exports to CPTPP countries already exceed £60bn a year its hard to see how that estimate is anything other than conservative. Either that or the estimates of the impact from Brexit of 4% are likely overblown. And the estimate will be before you've taken into account likely new entrants to the CPTPP.

Also worth noting that it covers services which is a plus point given the size of the UK services sector.
    The quoted 0.08% of gdp benefit is the incremental impact not the overall value of trade with the countries concerned post-deal.

I suspect you know this already though, being a bright “numbers man”.
    I am simply trying to bring a bit of perspective to it in terms of potential scale, if that helps to clarify the point.
    I appreciate that and tbh, I’m more to your “non-pessimistic” view on the whole thing than many here. But even if the adverse impact of Brexit is over stated 2x and the benefit of the new deal understated 10x then the net impact is -2% plus 1% ie still a net negative.

So it’s easy to see why folk here do not share your enthusiasm. You can’t simply dismiss leaving the eu as a historical aberration; one of the reasons given for leaving was to be able to do big trade deals elsewhere, so the impact of leaving has to be factored into any assessment of the impact of a new deal.
    But you are still connecting the two deals when it is not an either/or decision.

Forget the EU for a minute, we have done what we have done and it isn't likely to change in the short or medium term. Based on what you know and looking just at the CPTPP, do you think we should go ahead and sign up it?
    Definitely join it.

Thank you - we agree then. That's really the case I was making, but as expected too many seemed to take this as an assault on the apparently faultless EU arrangements that used to be in place.
    Love the way you ignore the rest of the response.
    He agreed with me on the point I was making.
    Perhaps you can return the favour and acknowledge the caveat I included, namely that the new deal is no more than a rounding error in terms of its upside relative to the downside of Brexit (in GDP terms).

I'm not so sure about whether that is the case that it is 'just a rounding error, given the recent statement by Kemi Badenoch rubbishing her own departments forecasts on this - as I pointed out upthread, it looked way too conservative ('scuse the pun). I know a few people latched onto that conservative forecast with ill disguised glee, but she is head of the department so knows better than some randoms on a bike forum:
    https://telegraph.co.uk/business/2023/04/02/indo-pacific-trade-deal-cptpp-brexit-britain/

Quote:
    Badenoch rails against a Whitehall forecast, published several years ago, estimating that CPTPP membership will boost UK GDP by a paltry 0.08pc. “I can’t stand this estimate, even though it came from my department,” she says. “It’s a stale, static, out-of-date assessment that assumes growth is linear and businesses won’t use CPTPP to really expand”.

Warming to her theme, Badenoch perhaps unknowingly paraphrases Wayne Gretzky. “Demand from the CPTPP countries is expected to far outstrip growth from Europe,” she argues. “So this deal will bring the UK significant economic growth if we use it properly – this is all about where the world is heading”.

What’s clear is that downbeat Whitehall forecasts don’t consider that other countries could soon join the CPTPP – with major economies including Taiwan and South Korea expressing serious interest. And the US could also end up rejoining in the years to come – which, according to Falconer, “could well mean we don’t then need to seek our own bilateral deal with the US”.

You trust Badenoch more than her advisors?
    They have clearly omitted some important factorsthere.
    Have they though?
    She was pretty specific about them. Got any evidence to say that she is wrong or lying?
    But, but, it's the nasty Torwies
    Unfortunately that is not evidence.
    It’s pretty compelling when it comes to lying.
    So there will be some evidence that she has lied then? Let's see it.

A classic response when someone can't answer the question, although ìn this case it wasn't even directed at you, so something seems to have bothered you here :smile:

Anyhow, you are ddraver and ICMFP :smiley:
    Ah yes, "bothering" people as a metric of success.
    That should be something you're familiar with. Try another thread if you can't do better than some half arsed trolling.
    You seem confused. I don't think I've ever claimed a win because I've wound someone up. You've done it plenty of times.
    - Genesis Croix de Fer
    - Dolan Tuono
  • skyblueamateur
    skyblueamateur Posts: 1,498
    Burgundy passports a source of ‘national humiliation’ 😂😂😂😂

What a country we live in. This is so cringeworthy and embarrassing it’s making my teeth itch.

I’m one of the casualties in the Brexiteers disdain for gravity of trade. I may have mentioned it once or twice….😂
  • Pross
    Pross Posts: 43,229

What a country we live in. This is so cringeworthy and embarrassing it’s making my teeth itch.

I’m one of the casualties in the Brexiteers disdain for gravity of trade. I may have mentioned it once or twice….😂

They're pink apparently. As you may recall from the documentary Reservoir Dogs no-one wanted to be Mr Pink Passport.
  • sungod
    sungod Posts: 17,178
    Pross said:

They're pink apparently. As you may recall from the documentary Reservoir Dogs no-one wanted to be Mr Pink Passport.
    in the late 70s, i used to have a vivienne westwood dayglo pink tigerstripe t-shirt

it was glorious

also had a dayglo green one, but pink was best
    my bike - faster than god's and twice as shiny
  • tailwindhome
    tailwindhome Posts: 19,310
    edited April 2023
    The Government seem to have quietly dropped the Retained EU law bill.

“New York has the haircuts, London has the trousers, but Belfast has the reason!
  • briantrumpet

I'd read somewhere that it was being delayed by six months, but dropping it is even better news, if true. It was purely ignorant wrecking legislation, with no assessment of the actual consequences, like Brexit itself. It would be nice if pragmatism became more common, now that Johnson and his die-hard disciples seem to be (mostly) fading forces.

I'd like to think that in the not-too-distant future historians will look back on this episode and find it hard to explain WTF happened to the UK in such a short space of time.
  • rjsterry
    rjsterry Posts: 29,146

I am SHOCKED.
    1985 Mercian King of Mercia - work in progress (Hah! Who am I kidding?)
    Pinnacle Monzonite

Part of the anti-growth coalition
  • Stevo_666
    pangolin said:

Stevo_666 said:

pangolin said:

Stevo_666 said:

pangolin said:

Stevo_666 said:

Pross said:

Stevo_666 said:

Stevo_666 said:

Stevo_666 said:

Stevo_666 said:

Stevo_666 said:

Pross said:

Stevo_666 said:

Stevo_666 said:

Stevo_666 said:

Stevo_666 said:

monkimark said:

Over 10 years according the the government's own figures

https://www.bbc.co.uk/news/business-65124741

‐----------------
    And even with some gains in trading the government only estimates it will add 0.08% to the size of the economy in 10 years.
    -----------------

Stevo_666 said:

Stevo_666 said:

Stevo_666 said:

More opinions ;) from the press which paint a positive picture...

The announcement that the UK is to join the Comprehensive and Progressive Trans Pacific Partnership is a huge achievement. It should not be underestimated. This will open up free trade between the UK and 11 economies in the Indo Pacific region. It means free trade not just with Australia and New Zealand but with countries like Japan, Canada and Mexico, as well as Singapore and Vietnam. It will in time prove transformational for the British economy.

These countries have a population of 500 million and a GDP of $9 trillion. Japan is the third largest economy in the world. Of the others, many are fast growing and progressive economies, and then there are the more traditional, stable, developed economies of Australia, Canada and Singapore.

The UK will be in a unique position. It already has a free trade agreement with the EU which may not be quite as liberal as being a member of the single market, but nevertheless gives the UK tariff and quota free access to the EU market, as well as being able to import from the EU duty-free. No country has freer trade with the EU than the UK. Add to that free trade with 500 million people in the Indo-Pacific and the UK has amongst the best trading arrangements of any country on earth.

At the moment, the UK’s trade with the CPTPP countries constitutes just 7.8 per cent of its total trade. Critics may think that is unimportant, but remember: these countries are some of the most economically dynamic on earth. It is estimated that by 2030, 65 per cent of the world’s middle-class consumers will be in the Indo Pacific region. So for the naysayers who think the CPTPP may not be important to the British economy, let me remind them that the growth on trade with those 11 economies is already running at around 8 per cent a year.

Once trade barriers are torn down, expect that trade to grow a great deal faster. And while we have no idea how well British exporters will fare in those Indo Pacific markets, the opportunities have now opened up as never before. Getting into the CPTPP is not just beneficial in the short-term, it is locking the British economy into the most economically dynamic region in the world. It constitutes a very serious investment in the future.

Added to the trade statistics, it is important to remember that UK service suppliers are already deeply integrated with the Indo Pacific region. UK service suppliers exported nearly £30 billion worth of services to CPTPP members in 2019.

Also a reminder that we do have a free trade deal with EU which is better than any other country, according to the article.

Not bad for a bunch of alleged f***wits :smile:

I wish I could get as glowing a report for improving my performance by 0.1% over the next decade.
    I wish I could predict the future like you Brian. I've already set out the likely long term benefits, but you appear to be stuck in the old 'the only good trade deal is with the EU' mindset. Time to broaden your horizons I think.

0.08%
    On what basis and over what period?

Alternatively can I borrow your time machine and travel to the future?
    Given that exports to CPTPP countries already exceed £60bn a year its hard to see how that estimate is anything other than conservative. Either that or the estimates of the impact from Brexit of 4% are likely overblown. And the estimate will be before you've taken into account likely new entrants to the CPTPP.

Also worth noting that it covers services which is a plus point given the size of the UK services sector.
    The quoted 0.08% of gdp benefit is the incremental impact not the overall value of trade with the countries concerned post-deal.

I suspect you know this already though, being a bright “numbers man”.
    I am simply trying to bring a bit of perspective to it in terms of potential scale, if that helps to clarify the point.
    I appreciate that and tbh, I’m more to your “non-pessimistic” view on the whole thing than many here. But even if the adverse impact of Brexit is over stated 2x and the benefit of the new deal understated 10x then the net impact is -2% plus 1% ie still a net negative.

So it’s easy to see why folk here do not share your enthusiasm. You can’t simply dismiss leaving the eu as a historical aberration; one of the reasons given for leaving was to be able to do big trade deals elsewhere, so the impact of leaving has to be factored into any assessment of the impact of a new deal.
    But you are still connecting the two deals when it is not an either/or decision.

Forget the EU for a minute, we have done what we have done and it isn't likely to change in the short or medium term. Based on what you know and looking just at the CPTPP, do you think we should go ahead and sign up it?
    Definitely join it.

Thank you - we agree then. That's really the case I was making, but as expected too many seemed to take this as an assault on the apparently faultless EU arrangements that used to be in place.
    Love the way you ignore the rest of the response.
    He agreed with me on the point I was making.
    Perhaps you can return the favour and acknowledge the caveat I included, namely that the new deal is no more than a rounding error in terms of its upside relative to the downside of Brexit (in GDP terms).

I'm not so sure about whether that is the case that it is 'just a rounding error, given the recent statement by Kemi Badenoch rubbishing her own departments forecasts on this - as I pointed out upthread, it looked way too conservative ('scuse the pun). I know a few people latched onto that conservative forecast with ill disguised glee, but she is head of the department so knows better than some randoms on a bike forum:
    https://telegraph.co.uk/business/2023/04/02/indo-pacific-trade-deal-cptpp-brexit-britain/

Quote:
    Badenoch rails against a Whitehall forecast, published several years ago, estimating that CPTPP membership will boost UK GDP by a paltry 0.08pc. “I can’t stand this estimate, even though it came from my department,” she says. “It’s a stale, static, out-of-date assessment that assumes growth is linear and businesses won’t use CPTPP to really expand”.

Warming to her theme, Badenoch perhaps unknowingly paraphrases Wayne Gretzky. “Demand from the CPTPP countries is expected to far outstrip growth from Europe,” she argues. “So this deal will bring the UK significant economic growth if we use it properly – this is all about where the world is heading”.

What’s clear is that downbeat Whitehall forecasts don’t consider that other countries could soon join the CPTPP – with major economies including Taiwan and South Korea expressing serious interest. And the US could also end up rejoining in the years to come – which, according to Falconer, “could well mean we don’t then need to seek our own bilateral deal with the US”.

You trust Badenoch more than her advisors?
    They have clearly omitted some important factorsthere.
    Have they though?
    She was pretty specific about them. Got any evidence to say that she is wrong or lying?
    But, but, it's the nasty Torwies
    Unfortunately that is not evidence.
    It’s pretty compelling when it comes to lying.
    So there will be some evidence that she has lied then? Let's see it.

A classic response when someone can't answer the question, although ìn this case it wasn't even directed at you, so something seems to have bothered you here :smile:

Anyhow, you are ddraver and ICMFP :smiley:
    Ah yes, "bothering" people as a metric of success.
    That should be something you're familiar with. Try another thread if you can't do better than some half arsed trolling.
    You seem confused. I don't think I've ever claimed a win because I've wound someone up. You've done it plenty of times.
    I'm not confused - its pretty obvious you're trying to troll, just not very successfully.
  • Stevo_666
    sungod said:

Stevo_666 said:

webboo said:

I don't really give a toss as that's a very small number of people - unlike you who seems to be rather angry about it. If its that bad here, why not move to the land of milk and honey across the channel?
  • Stevo_666

You keep quoting this like it is fact, but the most successful era for British propserity was based on global trade. To quote a source:

"The EU was never a good fit for our exporters, and financial and other services – our special strengths – derived little benefit. Consequently, we had a huge structural trade deficit. In contrast, we already have a trade surplus with the CPTPP.

Britain was not alone in finding the EU disappointing. Not only has southern Europe been blighted for decades, but by some estimates every country joining the EU (including Britain) has experienced a decline in economic growth after accession. Common sense and the broad national interest require us to shift the emphasis of our trade to more dynamic, more profitable, and less restrictive markets.

Those who predicted economic disaster from Brexit insisted that this was impossible. There was even an economic theory – the “gravity model” – used to suggest that we must cling to the EU. This is weak economics, and even worse history. Since the 18th century, Britain has been a pioneer global trader – the most outward-looking of European states. Even in the days of sail, our biggest single 19th-century export was cloth to India.

Victorian living standards were transformed by wheat from North America, beef from Argentina, lamb from New Zealand, butter from Australia. By joining the Common Market in 1973, we shifted away from global trade under the illusion that postwar Europe was permanently booming. Those wishing to push us back towards a Eurocentric trading system are harking back to the illusions of the 1950s."
  • pangolin
    pangolin Posts: 6,605
    Lol, "a source" being another telegraph opinion column.
    - Genesis Croix de Fer
    - Dolan Tuono
  • skyblueamateur
    That is utterly brilliant. So it’s the EU’s fault not the decline of the Empire and colonialism?

What source are you quoting from out of interest?
  • Stevo_666
    pangolin said:

Lol, "a source" being another telegraph opinion column.

So mount a counter argument. Do you reckon you can mange that?
  • I like the reference to the U.K. being the most outward-looking eu country despite Germany (and probably France and Italy) out-exporting the U.K. every day and twice on a Sunday.
  • Stevo_666

That is utterly brilliant. So it’s the EU’s fault not the decline of the Empire and colonialism?

What source are you quoting from out of interest?

Missing the point completely. I'm showing Rick a real life historical example that goes against the gravity model.
  • skyblueamateur

I like the reference to the U.K. being the most outward-looking eu country despite Germany (and probably France and Italy) out-exporting the U.K. every day and twice on a Sunday.

I used to really appreciate Stevos input into discussions as they were rounded and a counter-point to discussions on here. He’s obviously a very intelligent and successful bloke but he’s on the wind up too much now.