BREXIT - Is This Really Still Rumbling On? 😴

Comments

• pblakeney
    pblakeney Posts: 26,974

It’s not about anything else either

What has it actually done?

Blue passports.
    Entirely as expected. Brexshit.
    The above may be fact, or fiction, I may be serious, I may be jesting.
    I am not sure. You have no chance.
    Veronese68 wrote:
    PB is the most sensible person on here.
  • pblakeney

Just in case anyone was at risk of giving Gove any slack...

The Braverman comment alone is enough to nullify any creditability.
    Veronese68 wrote:
  • It’s not about anything else either

What has it actually done?

Sovereignty means we have blue passports and it is our choosing that we have the same number of immigrants as we did previously.

We have also learned that the State is not as efficient at allocating resources as the market
  • ddraver
    ddraver Posts: 26,660
    https://vm.tiktok.com/ZMFAjy1R1/

...they turned out to have a point though, eh luv?
    We're in danger of confusing passion with incompetence
    - @ddraver
  • Pross
    Pross Posts: 43,161
    Who is the ‘all’ you’re thanking? This is one place where you definitely aren’t a lone voice on the subject!
  • rick_chasey
    rick_chasey Posts: 75,661
    UK in general.
  • TheBigBean
    TheBigBean Posts: 21,537
    An unusually balanced Guardian article. Brexit not having much of an impact either way.

https://www.theguardian.com/politics/2022/nov/06/brexit-blame-uk-economy-opportunity-eu

Makes reference to this report. Some interesting comments eg NI is not booming under the protocol.

https://www.briefingsforbritain.co.uk/what-impact-is-brexit-having-on-the-uk-economy/
  • pblakeney
    "After six years, the argument for Brexit remains what it always was: an opportunity to look at an under-performing economy in a new light and to do things differently. Whether that opportunity will be seized or squandered remains to be seen, but there is no gorilla in the room, just a mouse with a loud squeak."

After 6 years of squandering I'm willing to bet there will be no opportunity seized.
    How long do we have to wait for "too soon" to be up?
    Veronese68 wrote:
  • briantrumpet
    briantrumpet Posts: 19,540

An unusually balanced Guardian article. Brexit not having much of an impact either way.

https://www.theguardian.com/politics/2022/nov/06/brexit-blame-uk-economy-opportunity-eu

Makes reference to this report. Some interesting comments eg NI is not booming under the protocol.

https://www.briefingsforbritain.co.uk/what-impact-is-brexit-having-on-the-uk-economy/

Ah, Larry Elliott, Corbyn's go-to ardently pro-Brexit man. At least he's consistent.

• briantrumpet
    Briefings for Britain (the author of the quoted report) suggested that the Trussterfuck budget was flawed by not going further and faster. So you'll have to excuse me if I don't give them much credibility.

https://www.briefingsforbritain.co.uk/the-mini-budget-good-but-could-be-better/

• Stevo_666
    Stevo_666 Posts: 60,615

This bit sums up this thread quite neatly:
    "The UK economy is clearly struggling. Growth has stalled, interest rates are going up and the Treasury is softening up the public for a new dose of austerity measures.

For some, the explanation for these horrors is simple: Britain is paying the price for its decision to leave the European Union. Forget the impact of the most severe pandemic in a century. Forget what Vladimir Putin’s invasion of Ukraine has done to energy prices. Brexit is the “gorilla in the room”.

Really? Or is this a classic case of confirmation bias, where someone starts with a preconceived view and then finds evidence to back up their argument? As in: I always said Brexit would be a disaster; the economy is in a bad way; Brexit is to blame and here’s the proof.'

In the nearly 3 years since we left, the pandemic and Ukraine have been much more significant issues than Brexit.

"I spent most of my money on birds, booze and fast cars: the rest of it I just squandered." [George Best]
  • kingstongraham
    kingstongraham Posts: 27,761
    edited November 2022
    My expectation was that brexit would make things generally a bit worse than they otherwise would have been.
  • TheBigBean

Briefings for Britain (the author of the quoted report) suggested that the Trussterfuck budget was flawed by not going further and faster. So you'll have to excuse me if I don't give them much credibility.

Different authors. Same website. You seem keen to ignore the content and focus on the players.
  • Stevo_666
    This bit is also quite relevant: as mentioned above, it's no biggie:
    "The Briefings for Brexit paper (a comprehensive piece of work, worth reading whichever side of the argument you are on) says these counterfactual analyses are flawed. It concludes: “A careful reading of the evidence shows that while there is little evidence yet that Brexit is doing much to help the UK economy, neither is there evidence of much harm.”

That rings true. There has been no Armageddon. The economy is adapting, even if that process has been made more difficult by the pandemic, the war, and Liz Truss’ brief period as prime minister. If the effects of Brexit have tended to be exaggerated, then the impact of the pandemic and the lockdowns that accompanied it have tended to be downplayed, perhaps because the most fervent anti-Brexiters also wanted longer and more stringent lockdowns."

As for the last bit, have they been reading Cake Stop? :)
    "I spent most of my money on birds, booze and fast cars: the rest of it I just squandered." [George Best]
  • briantrumpet

Different authors. Same website. You seem keen to ignore the content and focus on the players.

It's Farage with a posh accent. I'm not going to start giving credibility to Farage, or the IEA, or BfB. That they are happy to publish rubbish saying that Kwarteng didn't go far & fast enough, I'm content to dismiss them summarily. I'm not going to start reading the Daily Express or Daily Mail for the same reason.
  • rick_chasey
    edited November 2022
    You’re not looking at the figures if you think Brexit has had no impact.

Nor are you listening to business leaders up and down the country.

No one is saying that things like the war aren’t also having a huge effect, but I bet you Kwarteng would have been given more leeway by the markets if it hadn’t happened. The hole in the budget is roughly the hole Brexit has generated. Go figure.

Then again, he’d not have made it into government, which is the other bit people seem to forget.

Aside from the opportunity cost for the govt focusing on Brexit rather than the long term issues of low growth etc, it’s also given us the worst of the Tory party as government for the past 6 years.
  • TheBigBean

No one is saying that things like the war aren’t also having a huge effect, but I bet you Kwarteng would have been given more leeway by the markets if it hadn’t happened. The hole in the budget is roughly the hole Brexit has generated. Go figure.

Then again, he’d not have made it into government, which is the other bit people seem to forget.

Aside from the opportunity cost for the govt focusing on Brexit rather than the long term issues of low growth etc, it’s also given us the worst of the Tory party as government for the past 6 years.

I thought you would like this bit

Mark Carney, the former governor of the Bank of England, takes a dimmer view. He has argued that Britain’s economy was 90% the size of Germany’s before Brexit but only 70% the size of it today.

Prof Jonathan Portes, an economist at King’s College London who is no fan of Brexit, has described this comparison as “nonsense” because it involves measuring the value of economies at prevailing exchange rates. This is not the normal method economists use to assess the relative performance of countries, because comparisons are heavily influenced by movements in currencies. The pound, for example, is almost 10% higher than it was during a recent trough against the US dollar, but that doesn’t mean the UK economy has grown by almost 10% relative to the American economy in the past month.
  • rick_chasey
    I don't get the argument that because we've had worse impacts from two of the four horses of the apocalypse that Brexit still isn't a big deal
  • Stevo_666

Mark Carney, the former governor of the Bank of England, takes a dimmer view. He has argued that Britain’s economy was 90% the size of Germany’s before Brexit but only 70% the size of it today.

Prof Jonathan Portes, an economist at King’s College London who is no fan of Brexit, has described this comparison as “nonsense” because it involves measuring the value of economies at prevailing exchange rates. This is not the normal method economists use to assess the relative performance of countries, because comparisons are heavily influenced by movements in currencies. The pound, for example, is almost 10% higher than it was during a recent trough against the US dollar, but that doesn’t mean the UK economy has grown by almost 10% relative to the American economy in the past month.
    I think we had already established that that was Carneybollox. But good to get another confirmation.
  • rick_chasey

I think people are misunderstanding Carney's argument if they think he's just talking about growth.

Anyway, the fact Britain has no prospect in current official forecasts to reach pre-pandemic earnings is hardly a ringing endorsement of the state of the place.
  • Stevo_666

If you read the report it says that Brexit has not had much impact either way - not no impact. And as it mentions, definitely less impact than those with predetermined views have tried to claim ;)
  • rick_chasey
    All the official publications say it has?

I mean, that lot also criticise the OBR analysis, so who do you want to believe?

https://www.briefingsforbritain.co.uk/the-obr-again-makes-unsupportable-claims-about-brexit/
  • Stevo_666
    edited November 2022

All the official publications say it has?

I mean, that lot also criticise the OBR analysis, so who do you want to believe?

https://www.briefingsforbritain.co.uk/the-obr-again-makes-unsupportable-claims-about-brexit/

I know who you want to believe. Quote again from above:
    Or is this a classic case of confirmation bias, where someone starts with a preconceived view and then finds evidence to back up their argument? As in: I always said Brexit would be a disaster; the economy is in a bad way; Brexit is to blame and here’s the proof.'

That's you, that is. In case you hadn't noticed...

Point is, its not that big an issue. There are more worthy candidates for your undoubtedly impressive complaining abilities. As I've said before, I think we need to let this thread have a dignified and humane death :)
  • rick_chasey
    edited November 2022
    If we want to argue over which source is better than that’s fine but I think the OBR is as good a measuring stick as any, wouldn’t you say?

It’s not for nothing that’s what Kwarteng got banged for: for not using their analysis
  • Stevo_666 said:

If you read the report it says that Brexit has not had much impact either way - not no impact. And as it mentions, definitely less impact than those with predetermined views have tried to claim ;)
    The economy is 4-5% smaller than it would have been without Brexit. That equated to roughly £50bn (and growing) of lost Govt revenue every year. Truss/Kwarteng blew the markets apart with how radical their plan was to increase the trend level of growth to what we had pre-Brexit.

Brexit was always a political project that came with an economic cost deemed worth paying.

Economically it was always a stupid but fascinating policy to wrench a modern integrated economy out of the world's largest trade bloc. In many ways the perpetrators got lucky with Covid and Ukraine. What is interesting is that the skills shortage is looking like the biggest negative impact on the economy
  • pblakeney
    There would appear to be way too much attention being paid to an opinion piece.

Veronese68 wrote: