BREXIT - Is This Really Still Rumbling On? 😴

Comments

• TheBigBean
    TheBigBean Posts: 21,586
    pblakeney said:

There would appear to be way too much attention being paid to an opinion piece.

Some of it it is not opinion. For example, the economic growth in NI is published. I thought it was interesting.
  • pblakeney
    pblakeney Posts: 27,014
    edited November 2022

pblakeney said:

Some of it it is not opinion. For example, the economic growth in NI is published. I thought it was interesting.
    Should have made the article about that instead of hiding the point in a pile. N.I. is probably shooting itself in it's foot due to bigoted politicians not wanting to play together.
    The above may be fact, or fiction, I may be serious, I may be jesting.
    I am not sure. You have no chance.
    Veronese68 wrote:
    PB is the most sensible person on here.
  • sungod
    sungod Posts: 17,175
    Stevo_666 said:

All the official publications say it has?

I mean, that lot also criticise the OBR analysis, so who do you want to believe?

https://www.briefingsforbritain.co.uk/the-obr-again-makes-unsupportable-claims-about-brexit/

I know who you want to believe. Quote again from above:
    Or is this a classic case of confirmation bias, where someone starts with a preconceived view and then finds evidence to back up their argument? As in: I always said Brexit would be a disaster; the economy is in a bad way; Brexit is to blame and here’s the proof.'

That's you, that is. In case you hadn't noticed...

Point is, its not that big an issue. There are more worthy candidates for your undoubtedly impressive complaining abilities. As I've said before, I think we need to let this thread have a dignified and humane death :)
    brexit is a proven disaster for individual rights - the liar and traitor johnson, together with his cronies, saw to it that his 'deal' stripped uk citizens of their rights

it's also proven to have caused economic damage that had nothing to do with covid/war/other factors - increased admin, cost, delay, plus regulatory restrictions are all undeniable causes of economic damage

we could always start a new thread: the disaster that is brexit, hang on...
    my bike - faster than god's and twice as shiny
  • kingstongraham
    kingstongraham Posts: 27,814
    edited November 2022
    I can't think why NI wouldn't have benefitted over the last few quarters from the certainty, stability and simplicity of trade conferred by being a continuing part of the single market.
  • briantrumpet
    briantrumpet Posts: 19,661

I can't think why NI wouldn't have benefitted over the last few quarters from the certainty, stability and simplicity of trade conferred by being a continuing part of the single market.

A mixed bag, but lots of positives here, even if tensions over the NIP have had an effect on performance:

https://www.investmentmonitor.ai/insights/northern-ireland-potential-post-brexit

Worries abound that heightened political tensions following the implementation of the protocol may dampen Northern Ireland’s attractiveness to investors.

Glenn Barklie, chief economist at Investment Monitor, says: “The Northern Ireland Protocol has caused shockwaves across the Northern Ireland political scene. The Democratic Unionist Party [DUP], formerly Northern Ireland's largest political party, has huge issues with the protocol. It is seen by the party as divisive to Northern Ireland's membership of the union of the UK. The unionist party has not taken its seats in government in protest over the arrangement. Not only did this impact the DUP’s performance in the local elections, but it is also causing economic impacts. Many local government decisions are being held up, stalling economic growth.

"Additionally, investors may be weary of the divisive nature of Northern Irish politics rearing its head once more. Although, so far, we are yet to see that. Investors seem to have a more positive view of the protocol, yet many seem to agree that Northern Ireland prospers more when the power-sharing government is in place.”

According to Nisra's most recent Index of Production (IOP), Northern Irish production output increased by 0.5% between the first and second quarters of 2022 to reach a ten-year high. This equated to a 3.9% rise over the year, driven by increases in manufacturing, and water supply, sewerage and waste management. In comparison, the UK IOP grew by 0.5% over the quarter and 2% over the year.

In addition, Northern Irish production output is 6.5% above the pre-Covid-19 levels recorded in the final quarter of 2019, while the UK remains 1.2% below the final-quarter 2019 level.

Manufacturing output increased by 0.6% from the previous quarter with growth in four of the six main subsectors – food products, beverages and tobacco; textiles, leather and related products; engineering and allied industries; and total other manufacturing.

Northern Irish food products, beverages and tobacco production grew by 6.2% over the quarter and 13.9% over the year. In comparison, UK activity in the subsector saw a quarterly increase of 0.8% and an annual increase of 3.1%. Experts have cited the Northern Ireland Protocol facilitating increased sales with the Republic of Ireland as the reason behind the surge in food and drinks production.
  • briantrumpet
    As reported in the Telegraph... gee, what could make the UK an outlier, I wonder?

• veronese68
    veronese68 Posts: 27,717
    pblakeney said:

I like the quoting of the bit about confirmation bias, after linking to a rare opinion piece from the Guardian that agrees with their bias.
  • Stevo_666
    Stevo_666 Posts: 60,762
    sungod said:

Stevo_666 said:

I mean, that lot also criticise the OBR analysis, so who do you want to believe?

https://www.briefingsforbritain.co.uk/the-obr-again-makes-unsupportable-claims-about-brexit/

Or is this a classic case of confirmation bias, where someone starts with a preconceived view and then finds evidence to back up their argument? As in: I always said Brexit would be a disaster; the economy is in a bad way; Brexit is to blame and here’s the proof.'

Point is, its not that big an issue. There are more worthy candidates for your undoubtedly impressive complaining abilities. As I've said before, I think we need to let this thread have a dignified and humane death :)
    brexit is a proven disaster for individual rights - the liar and traitor johnson, together with his cronies, saw to it that his 'deal' stripped uk citizens of their rights

it's also proven to have caused economic damage that had nothing to do with covid/war/other factors - increased admin, cost, delay, plus regulatory restrictions are all undeniable causes of economic damage

You're a classic example of what I quoted above I rest my case :smiley:
    "I spent most of my money on birds, booze and fast cars: the rest of it I just squandered." [George Best]
  • I remember the slogan used all the time back in 2016 "Vote Leave - nothing will be provably worse".
  • sungod
    sungod Posts: 17,175
    Stevo_666 said:

sungod said:

Stevo_666 said:

nonsense

what i stated are facts

you can't prove otherwise, because they are facts

if you deny that, well, you are free to deny reality, but that'd make you look ridiculous
    my bike - faster than god's and twice as shiny
  • briantrumpet
    Goody, we've got three Brexit threads now! :smile:
  • Stevo_666
    sungod said:

Stevo_666 said:

sungod said:

Stevo_666 said:

nonsense

what i stated are facts

you can't prove otherwise, because they are facts

if you deny that, well, you are free to deny reality, but that'd make you look ridiculous
    Sorry, forgot that you are The Oracle ;) The arguments have all been done to death and most of us have moved on. Now take the hint and
    https://youtu.be/L0MK7qz13bU

"I spent most of my money on birds, booze and fast cars: the rest of it I just squandered." [George Best]
  • rick_chasey
    rick_chasey Posts: 75,661
    It'd help more if you knew what the song was about.

• Stevo_666

It'd help more if you knew what the song was about.

This is one case where you really don't need to read beyond the headline.

Plus, you won't get any centre leftie smartarse points for pursuing lines of argument like that ;)
  • briantrumpet
    Stevo_666 said:

The arguments have all been done to death and most of us have moved on.

As said before, you're completely at liberty to do so and to ignore this thread.
  • ddraver
    ddraver Posts: 26,662
    edited November 2022
    We're in danger of confusing passion with incompetence
    - @ddraver
  • pblakeney

Finally, a Brexit bonus!
    Veronese68 wrote:
  • Pross
    Pross Posts: 43,219
    pblakeney said:

Finally, a Brexit bonus!
    Just a reflection of today’s sky high inflation surely?
  • pblakeney
    Pross said:

pblakeney said:

Finally, a Brexit bonus!
    Just a reflection of today’s sky high inflation surely?
    Tripling in the space of a day seems a touch excessive though.
    Nice to see growth somewhere. 😉
    Veronese68 wrote:
  • kingstongraham
    kingstongraham Posts: 27,814
    edited November 2022
    GROWTH, GROWTH, GROWTH!
  • briantrumpet
    1) Growth - is this really going to happen?

2) growth - the disaster of not having any

3) Sundry issues now we know we're not going to have any growth
  • Stevo_666

Stevo_666 said:

As said before, you're completely at liberty to do so and to ignore this thread.
    I'm just providing a public service by trying to stop people like you wasting their time and energy.
  • briantrumpet
    Stevo_666 said:

Stevo_666 said:

I'm just providing a public service by trying to stop people like you wasting their time and energy.

Don't worry, I'm happy using mine here, thanks - there's work to be done, but it's good that the opinion polls are already going the right way, even if the fruition is a long way hence. Mind you, with even the Express joining in, it might not be quite as long as one might think.

• Stevo_666

Stevo_666 said:

Stevo_666 said:

Don't worry, I'm happy using mine here, thanks - there's work to be done, but it's good that the opinion polls are already going the right way, even if the fruition is a long way hence. Mind you, with even the Express joining in, it might not be quite as long as one might think.

I hope you believe in life after death ;)
  • briantrumpet
    Stevo_666 said:

Stevo_666 said:

Stevo_666 said:

Keep commenting if you like :wink:
  • Stevo_666

Stevo_666 said:

Stevo_666 said:

Stevo_666 said:

Keep commenting if you like :wink:
    I'll leave that to you for now...

• Just a hint, this is possible:

• Yes it is still rumbling on, and here's why:
    https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=wO2lWmgEK1Y
  • https://www.telegraph.co.uk/politics/2022/11/08/brexit-blow-ministers-find-1400-extra-eu-laws-repeal/

They've found another 1400 laws that would be automatically repealed in a year.
  • https://www.telegraph.co.uk/politics/2022/11/08/brexit-blow-ministers-find-1400-extra-eu-laws-repeal/

They've found another 1400 laws that would be automatically repealed in a year.

Apparently this is a "Brexit blow", and "Brexiteer backbenchers" are very unhappy. They (and the Telegraph) haven't heard that there's nothing brexit related dragging on, and need to be told the good news.