BREXIT - Is This Really Still Rumbling On? 😴

Comments

• Pross
    Pross Posts: 40,551

Ha! Boris is coming on Monday to sort it out.

I predict troops needing to be redeployed by Tuesday.
  • TheBigBean
    TheBigBean Posts: 20,621

NI Assembly collapses

Presumably not unfamiliar territory.
  • tailwindhome
    tailwindhome Posts: 18,938

NI Assembly collapses

Nope. The difference is that the negotiations which will lead to resumption aren't in the gift of the parties in Stormont

“New York has the haircuts, London has the trousers, but Belfast has the reason!
  • skyblueamateur
    skyblueamateur Posts: 1,498
    Will there be a backlash against the DUP?
  • TheBigBean

NI Assembly collapses

Nope. The difference is that the negotiations which will lead to resumption aren't in the gift of the parties in Stormont

If Stormont presented a united view on Brexit, it would be hard to ignore, so it is easy to say that the issue lies with the actions of others, but I'm not sure it is really true.
  • skyblueamateur

NI Assembly collapses

If Stormont presented a united view on Brexit, it would be hard to ignore, so it is easy to say that the issue lies with the actions of others, but I'm not sure it is really true.
    There are 53 MLA’s in favour of the protocol and 37 against it. Make of that what you will.
  • TheBigBean

NI Assembly collapses

There are 53 MLA’s in favour of the protocol and 37 against it. Make of that what you will.
    Stormont is supposed to work on a cross community basis.
  • skyblueamateur

NI Assembly collapses

Stormont is supposed to work on a cross community basis.
    Correct.

• surrey_commuter
    surrey_commuter Posts: 18,866

NI Assembly collapses

The DUP used to say they wanted the same border arrangement as at Dover.

I am guessing the lot in the middle want what is best for NI

I am also guessing Sinn Fein want whateve leads to a united Ireland.

I just realised this is another example of Catholics playing the long game
  • skyblueamateur
    Great interview with Jonathan Powell on channel 4 news.

‘I think David Frost knows a lot more about Scotch whiskey then he does about NI’
  • rjsterry
    rjsterry Posts: 27,665
    edited May 2022

Dougan doesn't hold back... justified, since we appear to have an AG who has taken her cue for politicised AG'ing from William Barr, when her job description is to uphold the law, not to defend illegal acts because they are proposed by Johnson.

The EU proposed the barrier. Either that or no deal.
    We had plenty of other red lines
    Yes. Just seems strange to call someone a liar and then open up with a lie.

Both parties agreed the barrier. That's how agreements work.
    Yes, but your tweet says Johnson proposed the barrier which is a lie. The EU spent years proposing it.
    Can somebody remind me what the big thing was that Boris proposed that "unlocked" the negotiations?
    Customs taxes would be harmonised with the UK and the agreement was dynamic, so the Joint Committee could work together to make sure it works by making changes as required.

The problem is that UK thought this would lead to light touch controls and the EU thought it meant the UK had finally agreed to their proposal of regulating NI in full.
    so we signed up to what we thought was a border in name only?

Based upon what they knew about the EU that seems like wishful thinking
    I think the expectation was more than name only, but much lighter touch than the EU is proposing. It is wishful thinking, but there weren't many alternatives.
    Why TF would we expect something that wasn't categorically written down? After we'd spent all that time and burnt one PM and you're suggesting we just hoping they didn't really mean it?
    1985 Mercian King of Mercia - work in progress (Hah! Who am I kidding?)
    Pinnacle Monzonite

Part of the anti-growth coalition
  • briantrumpet
    briantrumpet Posts: 17,907
    rjsterry said:

Dougan doesn't hold back... justified, since we appear to have an AG who has taken her cue for politicised AG'ing from William Barr, when her job description is to uphold the law, not to defend illegal acts because they are proposed by Johnson.

Yes, but your tweet says Johnson proposed the barrier which is a lie. The EU spent years proposing it.
    Can somebody remind me what the big thing was that Boris proposed that "unlocked" the negotiations?
    Customs taxes would be harmonised with the UK and the agreement was dynamic, so the Joint Committee could work together to make sure it works by making changes as required.

The problem is that UK thought this would lead to light touch controls and the EU thought it meant the UK had finally agreed to their proposal of regulating NI in full.

I think the expectation was more than name only, but much lighter touch than the EU is proposing. It is wishful thinking, but there weren't many alternatives.
    Why TF would we expect something that wasn't categorically written down? After we'd spent all that time and burnt one PM and you're suggesting we just hoping they didn't really mean it?

Johnson's mendacious habits might be why the EU weren't overly keen on an 'honesty box'. Just putting 'honesty' and 'Johnson' in the same sentence is likely to lead to a kink in the space-time continuum.
  • tailwindhome
    edited May 2022

NI Assembly collapses

They did

Every MLA voted to reject the Withdrawal Agreement

Every MP voted to reject the Withdrawal Agreement
    “New York has the haircuts, London has the trousers, but Belfast has the reason!
  • rjsterry

rjsterry said:

Johnson's mendacious habits might be why the EU weren't overly keen on an 'honesty box'. Just putting 'honesty' and 'Johnson' in the same sentence is likely to lead to a kink in the space-time continuum.
    Never mind Johnson. If we wanted an honesty box approach but we didn't manage to get the EU to agree to explicitly set out in the agreement then we would have been fools to hope that they would somehow not mind if we did it anyway.
    Pinnacle Monzonite

• TheBigBean

NI Assembly collapses

They did

Yes, and the population of NI voted against Brexit, so that could be cancelled as an act of unity. These are all still solutions that require other people to do stuff. It would be possible, in theory, for NI to agree something that respects the wishes of GB and ROI as well.
  • TheBigBean
    rjsterry said:

There are safeguards that are written down e.g. Article 16. Everyone just reads the bit of the agreement that they like.
  • pblakeney
    pblakeney Posts: 25,775

Great interview with Jonathan Powell on channel 4 news.

‘I think David Frost knows a lot more about Scotch whiskey then he does about NI’

Genius.
    I may be giving it credit it doesn't deserve though.
    The above may be fact, or fiction, I may be serious, I may be jesting.
    I am not sure. You have no chance.
    Veronese68 wrote:
    PB is the most sensible person on here.
  • rjsterry
    edited May 2022

rjsterry said:

There are safeguards that are written down e.g. Article 16. Everyone just reads the bit of the agreement that they like.
    Sure. It's just that we've been threatening to do it on and off, almost since we signed the thing. And always backing down when we realise we are the junior party. Which suggests that it is more about signalling to supporters than actually achieving an aim.
    Pinnacle Monzonite

• tailwindhome

NI Assembly collapses

They did

Yes, and the population of NI voted against Brexit, so that could be cancelled as an act of unity. These are all still solutions that require other people to do stuff. It would be possible, in theory, for NI to agree something that respects the wishes of GB and ROI as well.
    I don't really get the point you're trying to make.

• TheBigBean

NI Assembly collapses

They did

If everyone in NI agreed that the preferred solution would be to have goods checked on both borders then the rest of the world would be perfectly happy. Everyone in NI would be equally inconvenienced and irritated.

Clearly, that's a pointless solution, but it is possible for something else to be agreed that shows compromises. Of course, that then needs to be put to the EU/UK, but it would be much more compelling place to start.

For example, do Sinn Fein really care which country sets VAT on domestic heating?
  • tailwindhome
    edited May 2022

NI Assembly collapses

They did

If everyone in NI agreed that the preferred solution would be to have goods checked on both borders then the rest of the world would be perfectly happy. Everyone in NI would be equally inconvenienced and irritated.

Clearly, that's a pointless solution, but it is possible for something else to be agreed that shows compromises. Of course, that then needs to be put to the EU/UK, but it would be much more compelling place to start.

For example, do Sinn Fein really care which country sets VAT on domestic heating?
    OK

I said that the difference in this crisis was that negotiations weren't in the gift of the local parties

You seemed to disagree but have twice pointed out that any solution has to be accepted by the EU and the UK.

The only example solution you come up with you recognise as pointless

All 5 parties have publicly stated that an SPS/Veterinary agreement between the EU and UK is a solution that is workable and that they would support. They could agree that in the morning

• TheBigBean

NI Assembly collapses

They did

OK

I said that the difference in this crisis was that negotiations weren't in the gift of the local parties

You seemed to disagree but have twice pointed out that any solution has to be accepted by the EU and the UK.

All 5 parties have publicly stated that an SPS/Veterinary agreement between the EU and UK is a solution that is workable and that they would support. They could agree that in the morning

It's not that I disagree with your point completely, it's just that proposals such as SPS agreements require everyone else outside of NI to compromise for the benefit of NI.

What I'm saying is that NI itself could try to come up with an idea whereby its population accepts compromises on a cross community basis. Unionists are happy for cows to be checked on arrival. Nationalists should be happy with UK VAT on heating. Keep going until the pain is shared.

I don't expect you to agree.
  • tailwindhome
    edited May 2022
  • skyblueamateur
    Is that not just what a lot of us have been saying on here for a long time?
  • briantrumpet
    briantrumpet Posts: 17,907

Is that not just what a lot of us have been saying on here for a long time?

Yes, which is why I thanked TBB for linking to it.

All of this leaves two fundamental questions hanging over the Protocol, which are acutely relevant as London prepares to dismantle it.

Did Boris Johnson deliberately sign the Protocol (triggering an election and a landslide majority) knowing he would disregard it later?

Or did he sign it and then hope that things would work out, and if they didn’t the UK would back out of its obligations anyway?

Andrew McCormick believes it was the latter.

Yet another example of Johnson doing stuff just to escape today and survive till tomorrow. He's a walking catastrophe, without a single redeeming feature.
  • tailwindhome

NI Assembly collapses

They did

OK

It's not that I disagree with your point completely, it's just that proposals such as SPS agreements require everyone else outside of NI to compromise for the benefit of NI.

What I'm saying is that NI itself could try to come up with an idea whereby its population accepts compromises on a cross community basis. Unionists are happy for cows to be checked on arrival. Nationalists should be happy with UK VAT on heating. Keep going until the pain is shared.

The Northern Ireland parties don't have the agency to decide either of those two items.

• TheBigBean

NI Assembly collapses

They did

OK

The Northern Ireland parties don't have the agency to decide either of those two items.

Yes I know, but if the NI government put forward something with cross party support that doesn't require GB or Ireland to change, then it would be very compelling. They are much more aware of what works and what doesn't than the UK government and the EU.