BREXIT - Is This Really Still Rumbling On? 😴

Comments

• briantrumpet
    briantrumpet Posts: 17,932
    rjsterry said:

Oh, I see: *other* countries have to abide by international agreements.

Yes, quite.

My cynical side makes me continue to wonder if the wreckers are picking this fight as they both know that France will react with threats backed up by well-rehearsed tactics from fishermen (port blockades etc), and that in turn will rile the EU, with the potential to destabilise it.
  • TheBigBean
    TheBigBean Posts: 20,642

rjsterry said:

Yes, quite.

My cynical side makes me continue to wonder if the wreckers are picking this fight as they both know that France will react with threats backed up by well-rehearsed tactics from fishermen (port blockades etc), and that in turn will rile the EU, with the potential to destabilise it.
    You've gone with that rather the French election?
  • rjsterry
    rjsterry Posts: 27,699
    john80 said:

rjsterry said:

john80 said:

john80 said:

john80 said:

MattFalle said:

Don't tell anyone but there are no labour shortages or empty shelves over here.

Sole difference - oh yes, that danged "B" word again.

#fucktheToriies
    #Johnson.Puracunnusest

I think you might find that there are other differences as well but of course we cannot mention those. It is for business to adjust and get on with it. If you think that having probably less than 1% of lines out of stock in a supermarket is some sort of crisis then I suggest some perspective is in order.
    You know better than the OBR, tbf.
    Link please to the OBR suggesting we are facing a crisis that is going to lead to say more than 25% of lines out at supermarkets. Feel free to put your own definition in percentage terms that constitutes a crisis. I am all ears.
    https://www.bbc.co.uk/news/business-59070020

Impact of Brexit on economy 'worse than Covid'

Richard Hughes said leaving the EU would reduce the UK's potential GDP by about 4% in the long term.

He said forecasts showed the pandemic would reduce GDP "by a further 2%".

"In the long term it is the case that Brexit has a bigger impact than the pandemic", he told the BBC.

His comments come after the OBR said the cost of living could rise at its fastest rate for 30 years, with suggestions inflation could hit almost 5%.

Speaking after Wednesday's Budget, Mr Hughes said recent data showed the impact of Brexit was "broadly consistent" with the OBR's assumption that the leaving the EU would "reduce our long run GDP by around 4%".

"We think that the effect of the pandemic will reduce that (GDP) output by a further 2%," he added.
    You do like to post not particularly relevant links. It is not a newsflash that GDP will be down in a economy that has less immigration and less integration with trading partners. Your stance is that any drop is unacceptable and therefore I can only conclude that any number of political decisions that would negatively affect GDP would be unacceptable to you. I guess this is why we have an economy that is not very resilient and seems to be mainly based on us holding the door open for each other. How long do you think this would have worked out well had we stayed in the EU within a contracting market that is the EU.
    I think the idea that a short term pay increase - how long before that is eaten away by inflation and businesses finding ways to reduce their need for hauliers? - can hold back the tide of the whole economy being almost 1/20th smaller than it would have been, is a bit of a stretch. And let's not forget the other 99.6% of the population who aren't HGV drivers...
    If only happiness was measured in GDP. The UK would be one of the happiest places on earth.
    If you are convinced people's circumstances are unrelated to the wider economy, then I'm not sure this conversation is going to get anywhere.
    1985 Mercian King of Mercia - work in progress (Hah! Who am I kidding?)
    Pinnacle Monzonite

Part of the anti-growth coalition
  • briantrumpet
    edited October 2021

rjsterry said:

Yes, quite.

Yes, of course Macron is playing politics, but of course Johnson knows that. The UK actions do look like deliberate provocation: the French didn't have to respond, but when did they not? Bears, Pope, etc.
  • john80 said:

rjsterry said:

john80 said:

john80 said:

john80 said:

MattFalle said:

#fucktheToriies
    #Johnson.Puracunnusest

I think you might find that there are other differences as well but of course we cannot mention those. It is for business to adjust and get on with it. If you think that having probably less than 1% of lines out of stock in a supermarket is some sort of crisis then I suggest some perspective is in order.
    Link please to the OBR suggesting we are facing a crisis that is going to lead to say more than 25% of lines out at supermarkets. Feel free to put your own definition in percentage terms that constitutes a crisis. I am all ears.

Richard Hughes said leaving the EU would reduce the UK's potential GDP by about 4% in the long term.

"In the long term it is the case that Brexit has a bigger impact than the pandemic", he told the BBC.

His comments come after the OBR said the cost of living could rise at its fastest rate for 30 years, with suggestions inflation could hit almost 5%.

Speaking after Wednesday's Budget, Mr Hughes said recent data showed the impact of Brexit was "broadly consistent" with the OBR's assumption that the leaving the EU would "reduce our long run GDP by around 4%".

"We think that the effect of the pandemic will reduce that (GDP) output by a further 2%," he added.
    You do like to post not particularly relevant links. It is not a newsflash that GDP will be down in a economy that has less immigration and less integration with trading partners. Your stance is that any drop is unacceptable and therefore I can only conclude that any number of political decisions that would negatively affect GDP would be unacceptable to you. I guess this is why we have an economy that is not very resilient and seems to be mainly based on us holding the door open for each other. How long do you think this would have worked out well had we stayed in the EU within a contracting market that is the EU.
    I think the idea that a short term pay increase - how long before that is eaten away by inflation and businesses finding ways to reduce their need for hauliers? - can hold back the tide of the whole economy being almost 1/20th smaller than it would have been, is a bit of a stretch. And let's not forget the other 99.6% of the population who aren't HGV drivers...
    If only happiness was measured in GDP. The UK would be one of the happiest places on earth.
    But if the economy was 4% bigger then Rishi would have an extra £32bn to spend which means he would not have had to put up NI, freeze tax thresholds, raise Corp Tax and could have given everybody dependent upon the state bigger raises and improved facilities for lorry drivers.

All of those things would have put a few extra ££ in peoples pockets and made them happier
  • TheBigBean

rjsterry said:

Yes, quite.

Yes, of course Macron is playing politics, but of course Johnson knows that. The UK actions do look like deliberate provocation: the French didn't have to respond, but when did they not? Bears, Pope, etc.
    How did the UK start it? By not issuing licences to every boat that asked for one?
  • rjsterry
    rjsterry Posts: 27,699

john80 said:

rjsterry said:

john80 said:

john80 said:

john80 said:

MattFalle said:

#fucktheToriies
    #Johnson.Puracunnusest

But if the economy was 4% bigger then Rishi would have an extra £32bn to spend which means he would not have had to put up NI, freeze tax thresholds, raise Corp Tax and could have given everybody dependent upon the state bigger raises and improved facilities for lorry drivers.

All of those things would have put a few extra ££ in peoples pockets and made them happier
    I'm not sure you are properly weighing up the joy that paying an extra 15% on delivery costs can bring to your life.
    1985 Mercian King of Mercia - work in progress (Hah! Who am I kidding?)
    Pinnacle Monzonite

Part of the anti-growth coalition
  • briantrumpet

rjsterry said:

Yes, quite.

How did the UK start it? By not issuing licences to every boat that asked for one?

Yes. If Jersey & the UK didn't think that barring French boats, with no notice, from waters they've been fishing for years would be a problem, then they were idiots. Note that I'm not saying that the French threats are justified, but they shouldn't have been unexpected.
  • rjsterry said:

Yes, quite.

Yes. If Jersey & the UK didn't think that barring French boats, with no notice, from waters they've been fishing for years would be a problem, then they were idiots. Note that I'm not saying that the French threats are justified, but they shouldn't have been unexpected.
    if the Govt was more competent you may even believe that they had provoked a row over some inconsequential matter so that the Brussels Bogeyman could be blamed for Xmas supply problems
  • Iknow somebody who works for the largest wine make in the world and her advice is to buy what you can as soon as you can.

You could of course argue that "she would say that, wouldn't she" or get yourself down Majestic and fill your boots
  • briantrumpet

rjsterry said:

Yes, quite.

if the Govt was more competent you may even believe that they had provoked a row over some inconsequential matter so that the Brussels Bogeyman could be blamed for Xmas supply problems

Well, if they have one competency, it's for breaking things.
  • rick_chasey
    rick_chasey Posts: 72,738

Iknow somebody who works for the largest wine make in the world and her advice is to buy what you can as soon as you can.

You could of course argue that "she would say that, wouldn't she" or get yourself down Majestic and fill your boots

One advantage of having posho credentials is you have a cellar, (either at home or with a company) and you are isolated from short term shocks like this.
  • Iknow somebody who works for the largest wine make in the world and her advice is to buy what you can as soon as you can.

Price or availability or both? European or worldwide?
  • john80
    john80 Posts: 2,965

Iknow somebody who works for the largest wine make in the world and her advice is to buy what you can as soon as you can.

One advantage of having posho credentials is you have a cellar, (either at home or with a company) and you are isolated from short term shocks like this.
    You don't need a cellar to store wine. Just helping you out in case you did not store wine in the house as you thought it was the sole reserve of the cellar owner.

Price or availability or both? European or worldwide?
    availability, they can't get it off the ships as can't find drivers

price will go up as there will be less promotions
  • john80 said:

You don't need a cellar to store wine. Just helping you out in case you did not store wine in the house as you thought it was the sole reserve of the cellar owner.
    that is the benefit of wine boxes, they stack more efficiently

BTW - amongst poshos the term "cellar" refers to your extensive wine collection
  • rick_chasey
    rick_chasey Posts: 72,738
    😉
  • Jezyboy
    Jezyboy Posts: 2,925

john80 said:

that is the benefit of wine boxes, they stack more efficiently

BTW - amongst poshos the term "cellar" refers to your extensive wine collection
    Amongst us common us muck idiots, a cellar is a great place to keep your bikes.

I have to admit, I'd missed the intended meaning of the term.
  • Pross
    Pross Posts: 40,589
    I thought poshos called the cellar their merchant?
  • Pross said:

I thought poshos called the cellar their merchant?

their cellar could be kept by their merchant
  • webboo
    webboo Posts: 6,087
    Shirley if you are a real posho you would have your own Vineyard.
  • webboo said:

A real posho would have a chateau surrounded by his vineyards and under his chateau would be a three level cellar in which to cellar his cellar
  • briantrumpet
    webboo said:

Surely!
  • webboo
    webboo Posts: 6,087
    Surely don’t call me Shirley. Never seen Airplane.
  • pblakeney
    pblakeney Posts: 25,805
    webboo said:

Surely don’t call me Shirley. Never seen Airplane.

In things that will cheer you up Airplane! is up there.
    The above may be fact, or fiction, I may be serious, I may be jesting.
    I am not sure. You have no chance.
    Veronese68 wrote:
    PB is the most sensible person on here.
  • tailwindhome
    tailwindhome Posts: 18,941
    “New York has the haircuts, London has the trousers, but Belfast has the reason!
  • TheBigBean
    Not sure how every motorist will save money.
  • Pross
    Pross Posts: 40,589
    It's a relief to know that if someone smashes into my car in a supermarket I might have to sort out the damage from my own pocket but at least they (and possibly I) will have will have saved £50.
  • Call me a dreamer, but if they got rid of the insurance requirement on public roads, would save motorists hundreds.
  • I didn't understand this, so read the bill and the background. The only way it saves the average motorist money is by stopping the Motor Insurers Bureau being responsible for incidents caused by uninsured drivers away from "roads and public places". Supermarket carparks are public places, so insurance would still apply. https://thedrivingsolicitor.co.uk/2019/03/11/road-or-other-public-place-where-do-driving-laws-apply/