BREXIT - Is This Really Still Rumbling On? 😴

Comments

• briantrumpet
    briantrumpet Posts: 17,906
    It's all over. No point in going over it all again. Couldn't have been foreseen. Typical leftie Cakestoppers. Cheer up.

• rick_chasey
    rick_chasey Posts: 72,691
    Come on it is obvious why Brexiters want to 'move on' and remainers typically don't want to 'move on' as one lot is interested in proving the other lot wrong with actual evidence.

Aside from making a case to rejoin the EU or to say "ner told you so" I'd love to get someone who can actually do something with the f*cking pigs ear that is Brexit.

This current lot seem intent on making it as bad as possible so there's more stuff to blame other people for.
  • john80
    john80 Posts: 2,965

Come on it is obvious why Brexiters want to 'move on' and remainers typically don't want to 'move on' as one lot is interested in proving the other lot wrong with actual evidence.

Aside from making a case to rejoin the EU or to say "ner told you so" I'd love to get someone who can actually do something with the f*cking pigs ear that is Brexit.

This current lot seem intent on making it as bad as possible so there's more stuff to blame other people for.

The problem with a lot of remainers is that they have their version of success and can't grasp others point of view. So if you are a trucker that now has a 10-20% uplift and an employer that is keen to retain you you might overlook a lot of other issues. If you live in an area negatively affected by uncontrolled immigration you might not be too bothered by a percentage decrease in GDP from what it theoretically could have been. Its a change and there will be winners and losers. The next election will be a very interesting battle ground as the age old we can't do that within the EU will have gone and parties will have to come up with a positive message that is credible to enough people. Juries out on which party can do this best.
  • How eager are Labour former remainers to mention brexit?

Meanwhile the Telegraph has at least two comment pieces today laying into Sunak for not taking the opportunity given to him by Brexit.

It's just not true that former remainers want to bang on about it while leave supporters avoid it.

• john80 said:

The problem with a lot of remainers is that they have their version of success and can't grasp others point of view. So if you are a trucker that now has a 10-20% uplift and an employer that is keen to retain you you might overlook a lot of other issues. If you live in an area negatively affected by uncontrolled immigration you might not be too bothered by a percentage decrease in GDP from what it theoretically could have been. Its a change and there will be winners and losers. The next election will be a very interesting battle ground as the age old we can't do that within the EU will have gone and parties will have to come up with a positive message that is credible to enough people. Juries out on which party can do this best.
    Are you either of those things?
  • MattFalle
    MattFalle Posts: 11,644
    Don't tell anyone but there are no labour shortages or empty shelves over here.

Sole difference - oh yes, that danged "B" word again.

#fucktheToriies
    #Johnson.Puracunnusest
    The camera down the willy isn't anything like as bad as it sounds.
  • Pross
    Pross Posts: 40,540

john80 said:

Are you either of those things?
    Cumbria is right at the top of the list of where immigrants want to live.
  • Pross
    Pross Posts: 40,540
    john80 said:

Feels a bit like encouraging someone to build a new house next to a river and then when they complain the house is flooding trying to argue that's what you intended as they now have a nice swimming pool.
  • john80
    MattFalle said:

#fucktheToriies
    #Johnson.Puracunnusest

I think you might find that there are other differences as well but of course we cannot mention those. It is for business to adjust and get on with it. If you think that having probably less than 1% of lines out of stock in a supermarket is some sort of crisis then I suggest some perspective is in order.
  • rick_chasey
    john80 said:

MattFalle said:

#fucktheToriies
    #Johnson.Puracunnusest

I think you might find that there are other differences as well but of course we cannot mention those. It is for business to adjust and get on with it. If you think that having probably less than 1% of lines out of stock in a supermarket is some sort of crisis then I suggest some perspective is in order.
    You know better than the OBR, tbf.
  • I can see that if I was an HGV driver who wanted to keep driving trucks, I would think that I had got a boost from Brexit.

• john80

john80 said:

MattFalle said:

#fucktheToriies
    #Johnson.Puracunnusest

Link please to the OBR suggesting we are facing a crisis that is going to lead to say more than 25% of lines out at supermarkets. Feel free to put your own definition in percentage terms that constitutes a crisis. I am all ears.
  • rick_chasey
    edited October 2021
    john80 said:

john80 said:

MattFalle said:

#fucktheToriies
    #Johnson.Puracunnusest

Link please to the OBR suggesting we are facing a crisis that is going to lead to say more than 25% of lines out at supermarkets. Feel free to put your own definition in percentage terms that constitutes a crisis. I am all ears.
    https://www.bbc.co.uk/news/business-59070020

Impact of Brexit on economy 'worse than Covid'

Richard Hughes said leaving the EU would reduce the UK's potential GDP by about 4% in the long term.

He said forecasts showed the pandemic would reduce GDP "by a further 2%".

"In the long term it is the case that Brexit has a bigger impact than the pandemic", he told the BBC.

His comments come after the OBR said the cost of living could rise at its fastest rate for 30 years, with suggestions inflation could hit almost 5%.

Speaking after Wednesday's Budget, Mr Hughes said recent data showed the impact of Brexit was "broadly consistent" with the OBR's assumption that the leaving the EU would "reduce our long run GDP by around 4%".

"We think that the effect of the pandemic will reduce that (GDP) output by a further 2%," he added.
  • rick_chasey
    edited October 2021

I can see that if I was an HGV driver who wanted to keep driving trucks, I would think that I had got a boost from Brexit.

If you extend the logic then the oil crisis in the 70s did the global economy a favour by making the saudis rich.
  • kingstongraham
    kingstongraham Posts: 26,247
    edited October 2021

I can see that if I was an HGV driver who wanted to keep driving trucks, I would think that I had got a boost from Brexit.

If you extend the logic then the oil crisis in the 70s did the global economy a favour by making the saudis rich.
    Wut? All I said was that if I were an HGV driver, I would no doubt like having the extra money. Famously, there's not millions of them.

The correct comparison would be to say it did the Saudis a favour by making the Saudis rich.
  • john80

john80 said:

john80 said:

MattFalle said:

#fucktheToriies
    #Johnson.Puracunnusest

Richard Hughes said leaving the EU would reduce the UK's potential GDP by about 4% in the long term.

"In the long term it is the case that Brexit has a bigger impact than the pandemic", he told the BBC.

His comments come after the OBR said the cost of living could rise at its fastest rate for 30 years, with suggestions inflation could hit almost 5%.

Speaking after Wednesday's Budget, Mr Hughes said recent data showed the impact of Brexit was "broadly consistent" with the OBR's assumption that the leaving the EU would "reduce our long run GDP by around 4%".

"We think that the effect of the pandemic will reduce that (GDP) output by a further 2%," he added.
    You do like to post not particularly relevant links. It is not a newsflash that GDP will be down in a economy that has less immigration and less integration with trading partners. Your stance is that any drop is unacceptable and therefore I can only conclude that any number of political decisions that would negatively affect GDP would be unacceptable to you. I guess this is why we have an economy that is not very resilient and seems to be mainly based on us holding the door open for each other. How long do you think this would have worked out well had we stayed in the EU within a contracting market that is the EU.
  • pblakeney
    pblakeney Posts: 25,773

Wut? All I said was that if I were an HGV driver, I would no doubt like having the extra money. Famously, there's not millions of them.

The correct comparison would be to say it did the Saudis a favour by making the Saudis rich.
    And Norway, and Britain. No, wait, we spunked it up the wall/made a few rich instead.
    The above may be fact, or fiction, I may be serious, I may be jesting.
    I am not sure. You have no chance.
    Veronese68 wrote:
    PB is the most sensible person on here.
  • rick_chasey
    john80 said:

john80 said:

john80 said:

MattFalle said:

#fucktheToriies
    #Johnson.Puracunnusest

You do like to post not particularly relevant links. It is not a newsflash that GDP will be down in a economy that has less immigration and less integration with trading partners. Your stance is that any drop is unacceptable and therefore I can only conclude that any number of political decisions that would negatively affect GDP would be unacceptable to you. I guess this is why we have an economy that is not very resilient and seems to be mainly based on us holding the door open for each other. How long do you think this would have worked out well had we stayed in the EU within a contracting market that is the EU.
    Wealth is resilience.
  • rick_chasey
    pblakeney said:

And Norway, and Britain. No, wait, we spunked it up the wall/made a few rich instead.
    Yeah you get the point. It wrecked the global economy, but the plucky oil producers did well out of it.

Net loss, and it held the saudi's back from acting in a more productive and efficient way.
  • pblakeney said:

Yeah you get the point. It wrecked the global economy, but the plucky oil producers did well out of it.

Net loss, and it held the saudi's back from acting in a more productive and efficient way.
    What is your point? That the HGV drivers should be upset about getting more money because Brexit is bad for the economy as a whole?
  • rick_chasey
    edited October 2021

pblakeney said:

What is your point? That the HGV drivers should be upset about getting more money because Brexit is bad for the economy as a whole?
    No, that creating shortages that are critical to economies is not the route to prosperity or resiliance, which John thinks it is.
  • pblakeney said:

No, that creating shortages that are critical to economies is not the route to prosperity or resiliance, which John thinks it is.
    Overall no, but for the individual, it obviously can be.
  • ddraver
    ddraver Posts: 26,391

FWIW, They're not seeing much boost, on the road as it were...
    We're in danger of confusing passion with incompetence
    - @ddraver
  • briantrumpet
    briantrumpet Posts: 17,906

pblakeney said:

Overall no, but for the individual, it obviously can be.

But of course. Individual professions like shortage for themselves, but competition for everyone else. Tories, historically, have always been keen on competition, until the current lot, who seem to think that the populist agenda of 'fvck business' and driving up wages by reducing the supply of labour is what will get them votes. I've rather given up trying to work out what Stevotories actually believe in.
  • Jezyboy
    Jezyboy Posts: 2,916
    What I can't work out is how brexit has simultaneously not caused the driver shortages that have led to supply chain issues, but has caused driver shortages that have led to improved driver pay.
  • TheBigBean
    TheBigBean Posts: 20,619
    I think the term resilience is over used in the Brexit debate. A larger market encourages specialisation which reduces an individual country's resilience to factors that affect that specialisation. This is assuming that the other countries in the market don't chip in to help out.
  • tailwindhome
    tailwindhome Posts: 18,938
    Fabulously on brand for Brexit to ignore the longterm economic welfare of the whole UK because your uncle posted on Facebook that he heard of a HGV driver who got a payrise
    “New York has the haircuts, London has the trousers, but Belfast has the reason!
  • rjsterry
    rjsterry Posts: 27,663
    john80 said:

john80 said:

john80 said:

MattFalle said:

#fucktheToriies
    #Johnson.Puracunnusest

I think the idea that a short term pay increase - how long before that is eaten away by inflation and businesses finding ways to reduce their need for hauliers? - can hold back the tide of the whole economy being almost 1/20th smaller than it would have been, is a bit of a stretch. And let's not forget the other 99.6% of the population who aren't HGV drivers...
    1985 Mercian King of Mercia - work in progress (Hah! Who am I kidding?)
    Pinnacle Monzonite

Part of the anti-growth coalition
  • rjsterry
    rjsterry Posts: 27,663
    edited October 2021
    Oh, I see: *other* countries have to abide by international agreements. 🐟
    1985 Mercian King of Mercia - work in progress (Hah! Who am I kidding?)
    Pinnacle Monzonite

Part of the anti-growth coalition
  • john80
    rjsterry said:

john80 said:

john80 said:

john80 said:

MattFalle said:

#fucktheToriies
    #Johnson.Puracunnusest

I think the idea that a short term pay increase - how long before that is eaten away by inflation and businesses finding ways to reduce their need for hauliers? - can hold back the tide of the whole economy being almost 1/20th smaller than it would have been, is a bit of a stretch. And let's not forget the other 99.6% of the population who aren't HGV drivers...
    If only happiness was measured in GDP. The UK would be one of the happiest places on earth.