BREXIT - Is This Really Still Rumbling On? 😴

Comments

• Stevo_666
    Stevo_666 Posts: 60,767

They agreed to remove the commitment to "ever closer union" for one country that requested it.

Nice piece of PR to remove it from their public statements. But actions such as tax harmonisation and the start of debt sharing in the form of some aspects of the Covid recovery fund suggest that the reality is still the same as before.
    "I spent most of my money on birds, booze and fast cars: the rest of it I just squandered." [George Best]
  • rick_chasey
    rick_chasey Posts: 75,661
    Stevo_666 said:

They agreed to remove the commitment to "ever closer union" for one country that requested it.

Nice piece of PR to remove it from their public statements. But actions such as tax harmonisation and the start of debt sharing in the form of some aspects of the Covid recovery fund suggest that the reality is still the same as before.
    Why is international cooperation like that a bad thing?
  • Stevo_666 said:

The "ever closer union" commitment is still there for all the countries that are now in the EU.
  • Stevo_666

Stevo_666 said:

The "ever closer union" commitment is still there for all the countries that are now in the EU.
    There you go then.
    "I spent most of my money on birds, booze and fast cars: the rest of it I just squandered." [George Best]
  • Stevo_666

Stevo_666 said:

I made no comment on the relative merits of those in terms of international cooperation. The point was that those actions are indications of the EUs longer term direction of travel re integration.
  • Stevo_666 said:

Stevo_666 said:

There you go then.
    Indeed.
  • john80
    john80 Posts: 2,965

Stevo_666 said:

Why would debt sharing between nations with differing economies be a good thing. Seems like a recipe for conflict to me. Given taxes main purpose is to pay for essential services what is the benefit of disparate nations having the same tax laws.
  • pblakeney
    pblakeney Posts: 27,021

Stevo_666 said:

If you see things from a nationalistic viewpoint then everything.
    The above may be fact, or fiction, I may be serious, I may be jesting.
    I am not sure. You have no chance.
    Veronese68 wrote:
    PB is the most sensible person on here.
  • ballysmate
    ballysmate Posts: 15,930
    Cooperation is a bit different to integration n'est ce pas?
  • kingstongraham
    kingstongraham Posts: 27,815
    edited February 2021
    What I'm saying is that the EU does have a commitment to moving closer - but because the UK didn't like that, that was not part of our future, and the EU was already a two track organisation.

But we still left.
  • Stevo_666

What I'm saying is that the EU does have a commitment to moving closer - but because the UK didn't like that, that was not part of our future, and the EU was already a two track organisation.

But we still left.

It may have been a two speeder in some respects but there were quite a few things that those in the slow lane would have had to sign up to anyway.

Two speeds but same direction...
  • Stevo_666

True. Cooperation sounds better doesn't it.
  • ballysmate
    ballysmate Posts: 15,930
    Stevo_666 said:

True. Cooperation sounds better doesn't it.
    Certainly does if you want to sell it to Joe Soap.
    Another slice of salami anyone?
  • Stevo_666 said:

But we still left.

It may have been a two speeder in some respects but there were quite a few things that those in the slow lane would have had to sign up to anyway.

I have evidence that disproves this.
  • john80
    john80 Posts: 2,965

Stevo_666 said:

But we still left.

Feel free to provide it and enlighten us all.
  • john80 said:

Stevo_666 said:

But we still left.

Feel free to provide it and enlighten us all.
    How's the integration progressing?
  • Stevo_666 said:

Stevo_666 said:

pangolin said:

Stevo_666 said:

Pross said:

For me, the EU was expanding out of what it should be doing as a trading block and the UK should have just stayed in and fought to keep it on track.

As I've said before, if the EU had kept to the brief of being a trading bloc I'm sure we would still be in.

Sadly the EU has no reverse gear, so the absolute best you could do would be to keeps things 'as is' for as long as possible. All the EU has to do is wait until more compliant national governments are elected to push through the next round of integration.
    Yep, if it were solely a trading bloc and hadn't got designs on being a state we would have been its biggest cheer leaders.
    This is such a weak argument as the UK made it clear it never wanted that and had a veto on that happening.
    You honestly don't think that is the end goal?
    The direction of travel has been one way and even the EU have stated that they want further integration.
    The EU wants rid of the foreign policy veto, tax harmonisation and tax raising powers. That's more one way travel.

As I have said before, any veto is only valid if the PM is willing to use it. For instance, would a Ken Clarke PM (or Nick Clegg 😰) be as likely to use it as a Boris Johnson PM?
    The direction of travel changed way back in 2016 Bally. There's been a bit of chat about it on here.

The PM not willing to use a veto argument is weak as well. If they are PM we have democratically elected them, so what's the issue?
    Getting rid of he foreign policy veto, tax harmonisation and tax raising powers are on the agenda post 2016.
    2020 in fact.
    Also, I'm trying to think of an example where the EU gave back significant powers or decision making rights to member states. Any ideas?
    can somebody who understands these things more tell me whether this is still the anger or into the bargaining stage?
    Just debating the one way nature of EU integration, that's all. Feel free to contribute in a meaningful way.
    I didn’t care before and really don’t care now.

Why not start a new thread?
  • Stevo_666

Stevo_666 said:

But we still left.

Do tell.
  • david37
    david37 Posts: 1,313
    And no body has mentioned the EU army yet. Then it really will be a defacto state, setting laws, raising taxes, ambassadors, and then millitary projection of power.

Whats that i hear you say? there isnt going to be that kind of Armed forces? It will be like Nato a coalition of member states? Of course it will. At first but its only got one way of travel.
  • Stevo_666 said:

Stevo_666 said:

But we still left.

Do tell.
    We were a sovereign nation - we didn't have to sign up to anything we didn't want to. Evidence of this is how we are not progressing towards closer integration. Ironic.
  • john80 said:

Stevo_666 said:

Why would debt sharing between nations with differing economies be a good thing. Seems like a recipe for conflict to me. Given taxes main purpose is to pay for essential services what is the benefit of disparate nations having the same tax laws.
    I am still surprised that you can not see the parallels with the UK and Scotland
  • Stevo_666

Stevo_666 said:

Stevo_666 said:

But we still left.

Do tell.
    We were a sovereign nation - we didn't have to sign up to anything we didn't want to. Evidence of this is how we are not progressing towards closer integration. Ironic.
    We are now but I'm talking about countries that are still members. So do tell...
  • Stevo_666 said:

Stevo_666 said:

Stevo_666 said:

But we still left.

Do tell.
    We are now but I'm talking about countries that are still members. So do tell...
    All countries who are now members of the EU are signed up to closer integration. The country that was signed up to the slow lane has now left.

This must have been something you considered when you voted to remain, so I don't know why it's such a problem for you to grasp now.
  • elbowloh
    elbowloh Posts: 7,078
    edited February 2021
    load of bollocks - edited out.
    Felt F1 2014
    Felt Z6 2012
    Red Arthur Caygill steel frame
    Tall....
    www.seewildlife.co.uk
  • Stevo_666

Stevo_666 said:

Stevo_666 said:

Stevo_666 said:

But we still left.

Do tell.
    All countries who are now members of the EU are signed up to closer integration. The country that was signed up to the slow lane has now left.

This must have been something you considered when you voted to remain, so I don't know why it's such a problem for you to grasp now.
    You clearly haven't grasped my point. As mentioned I was talking about those countries still in the EU. So tell me what makes you think they can avoid signing up to certain things where there is QMV rather than a veto and where EU directives are the method of implementation?
  • Stevo_666

Stevo_666 said:

Stevo_666 said:

pangolin said:

Stevo_666 said:

Pross said:

For me, the EU was expanding out of what it should be doing as a trading block and the UK should have just stayed in and fought to keep it on track.

As I've said before, if the EU had kept to the brief of being a trading bloc I'm sure we would still be in.

Sadly the EU has no reverse gear, so the absolute best you could do would be to keeps things 'as is' for as long as possible. All the EU has to do is wait until more compliant national governments are elected to push through the next round of integration.
    Yep, if it were solely a trading bloc and hadn't got designs on being a state we would have been its biggest cheer leaders.
    This is such a weak argument as the UK made it clear it never wanted that and had a veto on that happening.
    You honestly don't think that is the end goal?
    The direction of travel has been one way and even the EU have stated that they want further integration.
    The EU wants rid of the foreign policy veto, tax harmonisation and tax raising powers. That's more one way travel.

As I have said before, any veto is only valid if the PM is willing to use it. For instance, would a Ken Clarke PM (or Nick Clegg 😰) be as likely to use it as a Boris Johnson PM?
    The direction of travel changed way back in 2016 Bally. There's been a bit of chat about it on here.

The PM not willing to use a veto argument is weak as well. If they are PM we have democratically elected them, so what's the issue?
    Getting rid of he foreign policy veto, tax harmonisation and tax raising powers are on the agenda post 2016.
    2020 in fact.
    Also, I'm trying to think of an example where the EU gave back significant powers or decision making rights to member states. Any ideas?
    can somebody who understands these things more tell me whether this is still the anger or into the bargaining stage?
    Just debating the one way nature of EU integration, that's all. Feel free to contribute in a meaningful way.
    I didn’t care before and really don’t care now.

Why not start a new thread?
    Thats a more positive contribution than your last post.
  • pangolin
    pangolin Posts: 6,605
    Stevo_666 said:

Stevo_666 said:

Stevo_666 said:

Stevo_666 said:

But we still left.

Do tell.

You clearly haven't grasped my point. As mentioned I was talking about those countries still in the EU. So tell me what makes you think they can avoid signing up to certain things where there is QMV rather than a veto and where EU directives are the method of implementation?
    Do you need any help shifting those goalposts Stevo or can you manage on your own?
    - Genesis Croix de Fer
    - Dolan Tuono
  • Stevo_666 said:

Stevo_666 said:

Stevo_666 said:

Stevo_666 said:

But we still left.

Do tell.

Of the things that have been mentioned on this thread - the covid recovery fund, defence, foreign policy and taxation all require unanimity. As does the accession of new countries to the EU.

But that doesn't answer my question as to why this unstoppable movement towards the UK being part of the EU superstate was not a major concern of yours when deciding how to cast your vote. It should have been THE major concern.

The EU is a different organisation now than it was when the UK was a member, as there is not a member who has a dissenting view on what its future should look like. I think that's bad for the EU and bad for the UK.
  • david37
    david37 Posts: 1,313
    you lot should study starwars and the mandalorian and clone wars to see what can go wrong.