BREXIT - Is This Really Still Rumbling On? 😴

Comments

• pblakeney
    pblakeney Posts: 27,021
    Worked for sea bass, didn’t it?
    The above may be fact, or fiction, I may be serious, I may be jesting.
    I am not sure. You have no chance.
    Veronese68 wrote:
    PB is the most sensible person on here.
  • pinkbikini
    pinkbikini Posts: 876
    edited February 2021
    david37 said:

Stevo_666 said:

Pross said:

Presumably the US is somewhere PB and Mrs PB would otherwise be inclined to visit whereas the likes of North Korea, Myanmar, Belarus or even Russia / China aren't likely holiday destinations?

Or maybe saying that you won't holiday in (say) Turkey because Erdoğan is an authoritarian git doesn't score quite as many right on brownie points?
    I just expected more of a country that is ‘leader of the free world’. Trumpet came storming out of the gates with his (in my view) racist agenda - the travel ban was just about the first policy he enacted. It seemed so clear which direction he was heading.

I chose not to use my discretionary holiday spending in the US because of this.

I’m as guilty of hypocrisy as the next person. Still went to visit family in India (although that’s a little less discretionary) and I think Modi employs similar tactics in stoking racial division.

Trying to take a principled stand against racism is not trying to score ‘right on brownie points’ - that’s a really cynical view!
    Not the US because trump is in your view a racist

India ok, yet the One World Values Survey reported that 43.5% of Indians responded that they would prefer not to have neighbours of a different race. AND as you say Modi is in a similar vein as trump.

I guess your principles are your principles and yours to apply as you see fit
    I never said India is ‘ok’, but if we never go then grandparents don’t see grandkids, we don’t see half the family, etc. India under Modi has certainly emboldened certain segments to be overtly racist. It’s a sad state of affairs.

Interesting site, the World Values Survey database. The question you refer to scored c.35% around 1990, c.25% in 2012. Where does 43% come from - I couldn’t find anything more recent for India?
  • pangolin said:

https://www.bbc.co.uk/news/uk-england-cornwall-55996938

Fishermen are to rename two of their biggest exports in a bid to attract British consumers after post-Brexit difficulties selling to the EU.

Megrim sole is to be sold as Cornish sole, with spider crab being rebranded as Cornish King crab.

And they call languistine Scampi again. Anecdotally this has fallen in price,
    #brexit-win
  • pangolin said:

Fishermen are to rename two of their biggest exports in a bid to attract British consumers after post-Brexit difficulties selling to the EU.

Megrim sole is to be sold as Cornish sole, with spider crab being rebranded as Cornish King crab.

Call them that, and they could apply for protected geographic status for them.
  • david37
    david37 Posts: 1,313

david37 said:

Stevo_666 said:

Pross said:

Presumably the US is somewhere PB and Mrs PB would otherwise be inclined to visit whereas the likes of North Korea, Myanmar, Belarus or even Russia / China aren't likely holiday destinations?

Or maybe saying that you won't holiday in (say) Turkey because Erdoğan is an authoritarian git doesn't score quite as many right on brownie points?
    I just expected more of a country that is ‘leader of the free world’. Trumpet came storming out of the gates with his (in my view) racist agenda - the travel ban was just about the first policy he enacted. It seemed so clear which direction he was heading.

I chose not to use my discretionary holiday spending in the US because of this.

I’m as guilty of hypocrisy as the next person. Still went to visit family in India (although that’s a little less discretionary) and I think Modi employs similar tactics in stoking racial division.

Trying to take a principled stand against racism is not trying to score ‘right on brownie points’ - that’s a really cynical view!
    Not the US because trump is in your view a racist

India ok, yet the One World Values Survey reported that 43.5% of Indians responded that they would prefer not to have neighbours of a different race. AND as you say Modi is in a similar vein as trump.

I guess your principles are your principles and yours to apply as you see fit
    I never said India is ‘ok’, but if we never go then grandparents don’t see grandkids, we don’t see half the family, etc. India under Modi has certainly emboldened certain segments to be overtly racist. It’s a sad state of affairs.

Interesting site, the World Values Survey database. The question you refer to scored c.35% around 1990, c.25% in 2012. Where does 43% come from - I couldn’t find anything more recent for India?
    World values survey wave 5 is 2009 the question is V35. The corresponding V number for other surveys before and after is listed in there. The data it presents requires some "interpretation and reading" to understand it. but its all there. I have no idea what validity the survey has but it seems pretty good.

Check out the USA
  • ballysmate
    ballysmate Posts: 15,930

Stevo_666 said:

Pross said:

For me, the EU was expanding out of what it should be doing as a trading block and the UK should have just stayed in and fought to keep it on track.

As I've said before, if the EU had kept to the brief of being a trading bloc I'm sure we would still be in.

Sadly the EU has no reverse gear, so the absolute best you could do would be to keeps things 'as is' for as long as possible. All the EU has to do is wait until more compliant national governments are elected to push through the next round of integration.
    Yep, if it were solely a trading bloc and hadn't got designs on being a state we would have been its biggest cheer leaders.
    This is such a weak argument as the UK made it clear it never wanted that and had a veto on that happening.
    You honestly don't think that is the end goal?
    The direction of travel has been one way and even the EU have stated that they want further integration.
    The EU wants rid of the foreign policy veto, tax harmonisation and tax raising powers. That's more one way travel.

As I have said before, any veto is only valid if the PM is willing to use it. For instance, would a Ken Clarke PM (or Nick Clegg 😰) be as likely to use it as a Boris Johnson PM?
  • ballysmate
    pblakeney said:

In Whitby, I treated myself to a tasty piece of woof.
    And no, it's not dogfish.

https://www.theguardian.com/environment/2019/nov/26/specieswatch-could-we-farm-the-scary-but-shy-atlantic-wolffish
  • pangolin
    pangolin Posts: 6,605

Stevo_666 said:

Pross said:

For me, the EU was expanding out of what it should be doing as a trading block and the UK should have just stayed in and fought to keep it on track.

As I've said before, if the EU had kept to the brief of being a trading bloc I'm sure we would still be in.

Sadly the EU has no reverse gear, so the absolute best you could do would be to keeps things 'as is' for as long as possible. All the EU has to do is wait until more compliant national governments are elected to push through the next round of integration.
    Yep, if it were solely a trading bloc and hadn't got designs on being a state we would have been its biggest cheer leaders.
    This is such a weak argument as the UK made it clear it never wanted that and had a veto on that happening.
    The direction of travel has been one way and even the EU have stated that they want further integration.
    The EU wants rid of the foreign policy veto, tax harmonisation and tax raising powers. That's more one way travel.

As I have said before, any veto is only valid if the PM is willing to use it. For instance, would a Ken Clarke PM (or Nick Clegg 😰) be as likely to use it as a Boris Johnson PM?
    The direction of travel changed way back in 2016 Bally. There's been a bit of chat about it on here.

The PM not willing to use a veto argument is weak as well. If they are PM we have democratically elected them, so what's the issue?
    - Genesis Croix de Fer
    - Dolan Tuono
  • sungod
    sungod Posts: 17,178

pblakeney said:

In Whitby, I treated myself to a tasty piece of woof.
    And no, it's not dogfish.

https://www.theguardian.com/environment/2019/nov/26/specieswatch-could-we-farm-the-scary-but-shy-atlantic-wolffish
    cod are ugly, taste nice though

then there're northern sole...

my bike - faster than god's and twice as shiny
  • elbowloh
    elbowloh Posts: 7,078
    I saw a "double ugly" fish in Alaska. I don't think they eat them.
    Felt F1 2014
    Felt Z6 2012
    Red Arthur Caygill steel frame
    Tall....
    www.seewildlife.co.uk
  • ballysmate
    pangolin said:

Stevo_666 said:

Pross said:

The direction of travel changed way back in 2016 Bally. There's been a bit of chat about it on here.

The PM not willing to use a veto argument is weak as well. If they are PM we have democratically elected them, so what's the issue?
    Getting rid of he foreign policy veto, tax harmonisation and tax raising powers are on the agenda post 2016.
    2020 in fact.
  • Stevo_666
    Stevo_666 Posts: 60,767

Stevo_666 said:

Pross said:

No it's not. See my point above about the EU playing the long game on this.
    "I spent most of my money on birds, booze and fast cars: the rest of it I just squandered." [George Best]
  • elbowloh
    pangolin said:

Lunch anyone?

Felt F1 2014
    Felt Z6 2012
    Tall....
    www.seewildlife.co.uk
  • rjsterry
    rjsterry Posts: 29,145
    Stevo_666 said:

Stevo_666 said:

Pross said:

Arguably we made it more likely to happen by leaving. Good luck to them.
    1985 Mercian King of Mercia - work in progress (Hah! Who am I kidding?)
    Pinnacle Monzonite

Part of the anti-growth coalition
  • There used to be a two track EU.
  • Stevo_666
    rjsterry said:

Stevo_666 said:

Stevo_666 said:

Pross said:

Arguably we made it more likely to happen by leaving. Good luck to them.
    True.
    "I spent most of my money on birds, booze and fast cars: the rest of it I just squandered." [George Best]
  • rick_chasey
    rick_chasey Posts: 75,661
    So am I right that the UK gov't is now asking for an extended grace period?
  • rick_chasey
    rick_chasey Posts: 75,661
    edited February 2021

Seems to be other way around? Anyone? Seems to be different wherever I read it.
  • So am I right that the UK gov't is now asking for an extended grace period?

Given the word to the government's media outlet of choice is that the EU is set to reject the UK's request for a two year extension in favour of a shorter extension, that's at least the word that they want out there. The big bad article 16 considering EU imposing what was agreed against the UK's wishes.

Grace period for what?

Grace period for what?
    Export Health Certificates for animal products and customs declarations for small parcels for deliveries from Britain to NI. Due to come in on April 1st after a 3 month grace period.

Grace period for what?
    Export Health Certificates for animal products and customs declarations for small parcels for deliveries from Britain to NI. Due to come in on April 1st after a 3 month grace period.
    I thought we asked for 18 months and will get 6?
  • Stevo_666

pangolin said:

Stevo_666 said:

Pross said:

Getting rid of he foreign policy veto, tax harmonisation and tax raising powers are on the agenda post 2016.
    2020 in fact.
    Also, I'm trying to think of an example where the EU gave back significant powers or decision making rights to member states. Any ideas?
  • Stevo_666 said:

pangolin said:

Stevo_666 said:

Pross said:

2020 in fact.
    Also, I'm trying to think of an example where the EU gave back significant powers or decision making rights to member states. Any ideas?
    can somebody who understands these things more tell me whether this is still the anger or into the bargaining stage?
  • They agreed to remove the commitment to "ever closer union" for one country that requested it.
  • elbowloh

Grace period for what?
    The government have obviously worked as stall owners in the souk in Marrakesh. They should have asked for 3 years to start with and end up agreeing 18 months. Amateurs.
    Felt F1 2014
    Felt Z6 2012
    Tall....
    www.seewildlife.co.uk
  • elbowloh said:

Grace period for what?
    The government have obviously worked as stall owners in the souk in Marrakesh. They should have asked for 3 years to start with and end up agreeing 18 months. Amateurs.
    do we know why they have changed their mind as it only seems like weeks ago that they were adamant there was no need to extend the transition period as after 4 years the lack of preparation was down to willfullness and indolence.

NI has left the UK customs union and now must pivot to the RoI and EU
  • TheBigBean
    TheBigBean Posts: 21,594
    It's an evolving protocol and that needs to pass the deomocractic test in four years.
  • kingstongraham
    kingstongraham Posts: 27,815
    edited February 2021

elbowloh said:

Grace period for what?
    do we know why they have changed their mind as it only seems like weeks ago that they were adamant there was no need to extend the transition period as after 4 years the lack of preparation was down to willfullness and indolence.

NI has left the UK customs union and now must pivot to the RoI and EU
    They agreed to it to get past the immediate blocking issue without worrying about what it meant.
  • Stevo_666

Stevo_666 said:

pangolin said:

Stevo_666 said:

Pross said:

2020 in fact.
    can somebody who understands these things more tell me whether this is still the anger or into the bargaining stage?
    Just debating the one way nature of EU integration, that's all. Feel free to contribute in a meaningful way.