BREXIT - Is This Really Still Rumbling On? 😴

Comments

• Stevo_666
    Stevo_666 Posts: 58,560
    mamil314 wrote:
    Has it been answered somehwere in the thread why option for 2nd referendum and with it cancellation of Brexit was never provided? All other options seem well inferior.
    Almost certainly, but finding it in over 1,900 pages may be tricky. It may be a tad late to be asking though.
    "I spent most of my money on birds, booze and fast cars: the rest of it I just squandered." [George Best]
  • rjsterry
    rjsterry Posts: 27,699
    ERG all on board.
    But he's lost Slyvia Hermon (Ind Unionist)
    DUP hinting that they will vote for the Letwin amendment to show their displeasure at being stiffed by Johnson.

@mamil314: Bluntly because there isn't enough support for that in Parliament.
    1985 Mercian King of Mercia - work in progress (Hah! Who am I kidding?)
    Pinnacle Monzonite

Part of the anti-growth coalition
  • rjsterry
    Letwin amendment passed. Approval of deal conditional on passing of WAB. Johnson still insisting he won't request extension.
    Pinnacle Monzonite

• robert88
    robert88 Posts: 2,696
    Which ditch?
  • morstar
    morstar Posts: 6,190
    Robert88 wrote:
    Which ditch?
    Still insisting he won't. Just proves that the no deal threat was always as much for the internal audience as for the Eu.
    Back to obscure constitutional legalese for the next couple of weeks.
  • robert88
    robert88 Posts: 2,696
    _109258524_gettyimages-542918126.jpg
  • tailwindhome
    tailwindhome Posts: 18,941
    306 voted against the amendment.
    Logical that these are in the bank for the deal.
    “New York has the haircuts, London has the trousers, but Belfast has the reason!
  • twotoebenny
    twotoebenny Posts: 1,437
    Listening to the "discussion" in parliament which is more a rehash of the past three years, the word Democracy and democratic is being over used. It being used by all to signal there way.

Pretty much the most over used word(s) in the last 3 years
  • tailwindhome

Actually maybe not. Hoey was against Letwin and will also be against the deal
    “New York has the haircuts, London has the trousers, but Belfast has the reason!
  • rjsterry
    Good thread on how we got here from Peter Foster (Brexit is certainly testing the limits of long Twitter threads).

https://mobile.twitter.com/pmdfoster/st ... 5053895680

Some reassurance for those opposed to no deal.
    Pinnacle Monzonite

• rjsterry wrote:
    Good thread on how we got here from Peter Foster (Brexit is certainly testing the limits of long Twitter threads).

For the non-twitterati it would be great if you could explain who these people are so we could judge the appropriate weight to put on their opinions.
  • rjsterry wrote:
    ERG all on board.
    But he's lost Slyvia Hermon (Ind Unionist)
    DUP hinting that they will vote for the Letwin amendment to show their displeasure at being stiffed by Johnson.

@mamil314: Bluntly because there isn't enough support for that in Parliament.

Surely DUP being consistent wanting NI to leave the same as every other part of the UK.

Can not understand the behaviour of the ERG.
  • cycleclinic
    cycleclinic Posts: 6,865

Actually maybe not. Hoey was against Letwin and will also be against the deal

Hoey is against everything except no deal. She's in the wrong party.
    http://www.thecycleclinic.co.uk -wheel building and other stuff.
  • pinno
    pinno Posts: 51,367
    "Boris Johnson has confirmed in a phone call with the European council president Donald Tusk that he is sending a letter requesting a further Brexit delay beyond 31 October."
    seanoconn - gruagach craic!
  • cycleclinic
    More can kicking then. I bet referendum amendments will be deferred too. This has become a very messy and super paralysed. I did say this will get worse before it gets better and that the paralysis wont end soon, I did jot want to be right. I'm not sure any more a election will be held. There is no agreement on anything but can kicking.
  • cycleclinic
    Pinno wrote:
    "Boris Johnson has confirmed in a phone call with the European council president Donald Tusk that he is sending a letter requesting a further Brexit delay beyond 31 October."

Perhaps bojo has realised there are many ditches to die in and the DUP will be there with shovels to fill it in.

To think he really wanted this job.
  • rjsterry
    rjsterry wrote:

For the non-twitterati it would be great if you could explain who these people are so we could judge the appropriate weight to put on their opinions.

Peter Foster is the Telegraph's Europe Editor. He's generally acknowledged as someone who knows what they are talking about with regard to Brexit.
    Pinnacle Monzonite

• tailwindhome
    Tony Connolly with How the deal was done

https://www.rte.ie/amp/1084372/?__twitt ... ssion=true
  • rjsterry wrote:
    rjsterry wrote:

Peter Foster is the Telegraph's Europe Editor. He's generally acknowledged as someone who knows what they are talking about with regard to Brexit.

Thank you
  • mfin
    mfin Posts: 6,729
    It's disgusting how so many MPs talk in absolutes that the public are fed up and just want brexit done. It's a sweeping generalisation with absolutely no substantiation.

There are definitely huge amounts of people who are not in the slightest bit inclined to have brexit put through just because they are somehow 'fed up with delays'.

1 million people managed to make it to London to march today against leaving.

Politicians don't speak even for the spread of opinion of their constituents. This has always been the case but surely never so much as now.

The fact remains that 52/48 was the equivalent of two drinks one slightly fuller than the other, but one was fuller as it had a floating turd in it. That turd represented racists, xenophobes and those without the slightest bit of mental agility to match their own false attributions of why they feel the country is not in a state that they want.

People really need to be incredibly patient. The issue of leaving or remaining in the EU is not one that should be sped through, a few years, and even a few years more to work this out is not 'annoying' it is simple sensible and diligent.
  • briantrumpet
    briantrumpet Posts: 17,932
    mfin wrote:
    People really need to be incredibly patient. The issue of leaving or remaining in the EU is not one that should be sped through, a few years, and even a few years more to work this out is not 'annoying' it is simple sensible and diligent.
    Unfortunately we're living in an age when a powerful politician can kill with an impulsive tweet, and when 'pragmatism' seems to be a dirty word. Not much hope then for patience and common sense.
  • mfin
    mfin Posts: 6,729
    edited October 2019
    mfin wrote:
    Unfortunately we're living in an age when a powerful politician can kill with an impulsive tweet, and when 'pragmatism' seems to be a dirty word. Not much hope then for patience and common sense.

Yep, and an age where people with utter conviction can repeat nothing but small sentence soundbites and think it forms a worthwhile argument. It's a crying shame. The UK's politics is dumbing down to meet the dumb. It seems a shame we don't get more people even speaking to the averagely intelligent considered masses, politicians have learnt to speak to the lowest common denominator of intelligence and bigotry instead, it's likely we'll never return from that now.
  • Pross
    Pross Posts: 40,589
    Proper Kevin the Teenager behaviour by Boris but listening to the radio it seems to have played well with his base.
  • Stevo_666
    mfin wrote:
    It's disgusting how so many MPs talk in absolutes that the public are fed up and just want brexit done. It's a sweeping generalisation with absolutely no substantiation.

There are definitely huge amounts of people who are not in the slightest bit inclined to have brexit put through just because they are somehow 'fed up with delays'.

Politicians don't speak even for the spread of opinion of their constituents. This has always been the case but surely never so much as now.

The fact remains that 52/48 was the equivalent of two drinks one slightly fuller than the other, but one was fuller as it had a floating turd in it. That turd represented racists, xenophobes and those without the slightest bit of mental agility to match their own false attributions of why they feel the country is not in a state that they want.

There is data out there supporting the view that people are already impatient for a resolution, for example:
    https://whatukthinks.org/eu/questions/would-you-feel-more-annoyed-that-it-took-so-long-or-pleased-that-it-took-so-long-if-the-uk-secures-a-deal-to-leave-the-eu-on-31-october/

https://whatukthinks.org/eu/questions/do-you-agree-or-disagree-that-having-got-this-far-in-the-process-mps-on-both-the-leave-and-remain-sides-need-to-compromise-more-than-ever-to-back-a-deal-in-order-for-the-country-to-move-on/
    "I spent most of my money on birds, booze and fast cars: the rest of it I just squandered." [George Best]
  • briantrumpet
    Stevo 666 wrote:
    mfin wrote:

There is data out there supporting the view that people are already impatient for a resolution, for example:
    https://whatukthinks.org/eu/questions/would-you-feel-more-annoyed-that-it-took-so-long-or-pleased-that-it-took-so-long-if-the-uk-secures-a-deal-to-leave-the-eu-on-31-october/

https://whatukthinks.org/eu/questions/do-you-agree-or-disagree-that-having-got-this-far-in-the-process-mps-on-both-the-leave-and-remain-sides-need-to-compromise-more-than-ever-to-back-a-deal-in-order-for-the-country-to-move-on/
    Of course people are impatient for a resolution: that's natural. But it's not the job of sensible politicians to misuse that impatience to rush through an ill-conceived and unscrutinised course of action. It's also worth bearing in mind that populist politicians will deliberately engender a sense of urgency to ram through radical policies.
  • briantrumpet
    Pross wrote:
    Proper Kevin the Teenager behaviour by Boris but listening to the radio it seems to have played well with his base.
    "No, you can't make me sign that letter. Not going to do it. And anyway, I was crossing my fingers. Yah boo sucks to you, Letwin!"

It'll be interesting to see how the EU respond to it.
  • rjsterry
    edited October 2019
    Pross wrote:

Of course, but despite all the nonsense about the Benn Act hindering negotiations (did he ever really countenance leaving with out a deal?), I think it may have helped him. Most of the Tory rebels will now feel 'safe' in voting for the WAB, as will Labour rebels, so he should be good for 320+. He might even get it done by 31st.

Then the start of the fight for the FTA.
    Pinnacle Monzonite

• rjsterry
    Pross wrote:
    "No, you can't make me sign that letter. Not going to do it. And anyway, I was crossing my fingers. Yah boo sucks to you, Letwin!"

It'll be interesting to see how the EU respond to it.

A lot of huffing and puffing but they know they pretty much have to.
    Pinnacle Monzonite

• ballysmate
    ballysmate Posts: 15,921
    mfin wrote:

I assume that if it had been 52/48 the other way you would be telling Leavers to suck it up.
    A million people eh? What do we make of that? Not even the difference between leave and remain.
    Or 64 million are quite happy to leave. Quite meaningless
  • Stevo_666
    Stevo 666 wrote:
    mfin wrote:

Of course people are impatient for a resolution: that's natural. But it's not the job of sensible politicians to misuse that impatience to rush through an ill-conceived and unscrutinised course of action. It's also worth bearing in mind that populist politicians will deliberately engender a sense of urgency to ram through radical policies.
    Time is is not limitless here even there there is another extension. And given what has happened after the last extension, there is not a lot of evidence that another one will do much good.

In any event, as mentioned above the FTA is still to come: that is arguably more important and there is time to consider that.