BREXIT - Is This Really Still Rumbling On? 😴

Comments

• pblakeney
    pblakeney Posts: 26,173
    HaydenM wrote:
    PBlakeney wrote:
    HaydenM wrote:
    Polling is at 50% for Scottish Independence but I can't see it happening fast enough to capitalise on the brexit mess and the peak in support will subside.
    ...looks at the mess Westminster is in and how long brexit will run and run for and thinks, hmmm...

This has been going on for years and only at the very worst point does polling look like its over 50%, once we are back to standard brexit drudgery it'll all be forgotten.*

*Unless they get given a date and the campaign runs away with itself like the Brexit campaign...
    My point was that the Brexit end date is many years away.
    And much chaos between now and then.
    The above may be fact, or fiction, I may be serious, I may be jesting.
    I am not sure. You have no chance.
    Veronese68 wrote:
    PB is the most sensible person on here.
  • haydenm
    haydenm Posts: 2,997
    Stevo 666 wrote:
    HaydenM wrote:
    PBlakeney wrote:
    HaydenM wrote:
    Polling is at 50% for Scottish Independence but I can't see it happening fast enough to capitalise on the brexit mess and the peak in support will subside.
    ...looks at the mess Westminster is in and how long brexit will run and run for and thinks, hmmm...

I wonder how inconsequential the Scottish circle would look on Stevo's favourite EU chart :lol:

I thought being a big economy in the EU was a bad thing because you subsidize all the smaller ones?
    Scotland may well find out to their cost what lack of subsidy feels like if they get independence. (I'm pretty relaxed about it BTW).

I really just want CAP to stop paying sheep farmers for nothing and I'll be fine :wink:
  • pblakeney
    Boris to ask for an extension on Saturday if no deal has been agreed.
    Any ideas on which ditches to check on Sunday?
    Veronese68 wrote:
  • mr_goo
    mr_goo Posts: 3,770
    PBlakeney wrote:

Boris will be hard pushed to find a decent ditch down here. Most now are nurseries for hedge cuttings and don't drain.
    Always be yourself, unless you can be Aaron Rodgers....Then always be Aaron Rodgers.
  • rolf_f
    rolf_f Posts: 16,015
    Stevo 666 wrote:
    HaydenM wrote:
    PBlakeney wrote:
    HaydenM wrote:

I wonder how inconsequential the Scottish circle would look on Stevo's favourite EU chart :lol:

I thought being a big economy in the EU was a bad thing because you subsidize all the smaller ones?
    Scotland may well find out to their cost what lack of subsidy feels like if they get independence. (I'm pretty relaxed about it BTW).

Surely if they get independence and then membership of the EU, they'll get all the EU subsidy they need?
    Faster than a tent.......
  • Stevo_666
    Stevo_666 Posts: 59,370
    edited October 2019
    Rolf F wrote:
    Stevo 666 wrote:
    HaydenM wrote:
    PBlakeney wrote:
    HaydenM wrote:

Surely if they get independence and then membership of the EU, they'll get all the EU subsidy they need?
    It would take time to apply and join as a newly independent nation, they can't just sign up as soon as they leave the UK. I'm sure they will get there but in the intervening time it could be 'interesting'.
    "I spent most of my money on birds, booze and fast cars: the rest of it I just squandered." [George Best]
  • fenix
    fenix Posts: 5,437
    PBlakeney wrote:

I'd not even waste my time checking on the ditches. He's a proven liar umpteen times over.
  • fenix
    fenix Posts: 5,437
    elbowloh wrote:
    elbowloh wrote:
    So, looks like we might end up with a deal that was worse than the May deal

Taking your speculation at face value, if the deal that Boris is negotiating is worse than the May deal it should be rejected and we then have a clean Brexit. Doing anything else puts the Tories at the mercy of the Brexit Party. In this situation I would certainly vote for TBP at the next election, as would millions of others.
    WTF is a clean Brexit? If you mean no-deal, then I think this would be far from "clean".

Use the search, it has been referenced many times before

There's no such thing as no-deal Brexit as there are lots of side deals already waiting to start if we get a clean Brexit

How is it a clean break with all those deals?

Let's call it a chaotic Brexit, as that takes the emotion out of it.

Chaotic takes the emotion out of it :lol: It's only chaotic in remoaners minds as they have to believe this to keep Brexit as a negative.

Remoaners hate the term 'clean Brexit' because it does not fit with their negative narrative(see above).

I'm starting to think Coopster might not be the full euro...
  • rjsterry
    rjsterry Posts: 28,145
    Fenix wrote:
    PBlakeney wrote:

I'd not even waste my time checking on the ditches. He's a proven liar umpteen times over.

He's already confirmed in court that he will request the extension. I don't think he's stupid enough to lie in court submissions.
    1985 Mercian King of Mercia - work in progress (Hah! Who am I kidding?)
    Pinnacle Monzonite

Part of the anti-growth coalition
  • rjsterry
    Fenix wrote:
    elbowloh wrote:
    elbowloh wrote:

Taking your speculation at face value, if the deal that Boris is negotiating is worse than the May deal it should be rejected and we then have a clean Brexit. Doing anything else puts the Tories at the mercy of the Brexit Party. In this situation I would certainly vote for TBP at the next election, as would millions of others.
    WTF is a clean Brexit? If you mean no-deal, then I think this would be far from "clean".

There's no such thing as no-deal Brexit as there are lots of side deals already waiting to start if we get a clean Brexit

Chaotic takes the emotion out of it :lol: It's only chaotic in remoaners minds as they have to believe this to keep Brexit as a negative.

Remoaners hate the term 'clean Brexit' because it does not fit with their negative narrative(see above).

These proposed bilateral agreements are time limited (12 months IIRC) and slanted in the EU's favour. As a comparison NZ took 3 years to agree a bilateral agreement with the EU.
    Pinnacle Monzonite

• tailwindhome
    tailwindhome Posts: 19,076
    If an independent Scotland were to be an EU member NI would need to be in the EU CU and SM to avoid an Irish Sea Border.

:D
    “New York has the haircuts, London has the trousers, but Belfast has the reason!
  • rick_chasey
    rick_chasey Posts: 73,620
    Out of interest, how do the Brexiters envisage the borders of Ireland and Northern Ireland working in a post-Brexit world?

After all, they want to 'control the borders', and the border with Ireland won't just be with Ireland, but the border with the rest of the EU. And to think they would be happy with the UK, out of the EU, allowing people to flood into the EU via Ireland, is pretty fanciful...

I think we can see the level of debate amongst the remainers from the responses to your post.

Firstly I think you are trying to find issues where there is not one. At most this will be minor. Wasn't there similar 'risks' when Ireland adopted the Euro?

The Ireland <> NI border agreement has been in place before the EU was even thought of. I'm sure the cooperation between Ireland and the UK will be on great terms in sorting out any glitches that occur. It was only recently that the UK independently of the EU helped Ireland with a bailout when their economy was at risk from the Banking crisis. It will be in both countries interest to do so.

It sounds like your scenario there will be a great boost to Ireland's airports and travel companies with increased passenger numbers :)

In reality EU nationals will still be travelling all around the UK as visitors so they will have no need to 'slip' in via the Ireland border. What will be required is correct documentation to get work and an NI number. Having this in place will make what you suggested a complete non-issue.

Ha

earlier on in the thread makes for interesting reading: viewtopic.php?f=40088&t=13028650&hilit=Ireland&start=1180
  • rick_chasey
    PBlakeney wrote:
    Are Brexiters comfortable with sharing the same side as Trump, Le Pen, and Putin, as opposed to Obama, Merkel, and every other Western leader?
    That's a tad desperate, assuming you mean post Brexit.
    There will be an election. Boris et all will not be elected.

Hehe.
  • tailwindhome
    Tony Connelly
    @tconnellyRTE
    ·
    1h
    BREAKING: two senior EU sources say the main stumbling block to a deal has been removed with the DUP accepting the latest proposals on consent... Optimism a deal can now be done...

Arlene Foster
    @DUPleader
    ·
    1h
    'EU sources' are talking nonsense. Discussions continue. Needs to be a sensible deal which unionists and nationalists can support.

Robert Peston
    @Peston
    ·
    1h
    PS number 10 source agrees with Arlene Foster (unsurprisingly) that the consent roadblock has not been removed. Deal still not done

Tony Connelly
    @tconnellyRTE
    Replying to
    @Peston
    At the risk of getting into a source arms race, I have four sources confirming the original report..
    “New York has the haircuts, London has the trousers, but Belfast has the reason!
  • elbowloh
    elbowloh Posts: 7,078
    rjsterry wrote:
    Fenix wrote:
    elbowloh wrote:
    elbowloh wrote:

These proposed bilateral agreements are time limited (12 months IIRC) and slanted in the EU's favour. As a comparison NZ took 3 years to agree a bilateral agreement with the EU.
    And that's with a country whose only exports are lamb, butter and flight of the conchords.
    Felt F1 2014
    Felt Z6 2012
    Red Arthur Caygill steel frame
    Tall....
    www.seewildlife.co.uk
  • pblakeney
    PBlakeney wrote:
    Are Brexiters comfortable with sharing the same side as Trump, Le Pen, and Putin, as opposed to Obama, Merkel, and every other Western leader?

Hehe.
    ????
    Veronese68 wrote:
  • rick_chasey
    PBlakeney wrote:
    PBlakeney wrote:

Hehe.
    ????

A pre-vote quote.

Quite fun going through the thread. around page 100 is the day of the vote.
  • pblakeney
    edited October 2019
    PBlakeney wrote:
    PBlakeney wrote:

Hehe.
    ????

A pre-vote quote.

Quite fun going through the thread. around page 100 is the day of the vote.
    Fine but we are not post Brexit yet and Boris was not elected.
    I stand by there being an election post Brexit. Boris may well “win” but not with a majority. And I did not vote for Brexit, so not a brexiteer.
    Veronese68 wrote:
  • rjsterry
    Looking at the direction this seems to be heading, Johnson will have to eat his words either about leaving on 31st or no prime minister agreeing to a customs border in the Irish Sea. Or both.
    Pinnacle Monzonite

• tailwindhome
    rjsterry wrote:
    Looking at the direction this seems to be heading, Johnson will have to eat his words either about leaving on 31st or no prime minister agreeing to a customs border in the Irish Sea. Or both.

Of course, May's deal could have achieved both objectives.
  • tailwindhome
    Tony Connelly
    @tconnellyRTE
    Update: all outstanding issues with the exception of VAT are now resolved in the Brexit negotiations, including the consent issue, according to EU source
  • morstar
    morstar Posts: 6,190
    Regardless of whether I like the outcome or not: If we are somehow out of the Eu by October 31st with a deal (or technical extension and an agreed deal) credit where credit it due, that will have been an accomplishment.

I strongly suspect the parliament merry go round may yet throw up a few curve balls though. I strongly suspect Labour will whip against a/the deal. Corbyn wants an extension and a VONC. If we are out with a deal, he has lost his chance (at losing an election).
  • briantrumpet
    briantrumpet Posts: 18,446
    rjsterry wrote:
    He doesn't ever bother eating his ill-digested words, he just leaves others to clear up the vomit.
  • robert88
    robert88 Posts: 2,696
    I have it on the best authority that it will be all over by Christmas.
  • Stevo_666
    Stevo_666 Posts: 59,370
    Tony Connelly
    @tconnellyRTE
    Update: all outstanding issues with the exception of VAT are now resolved in the Brexit negotiations, including the consent issue, according to EU source
    No deal tonight apparently (according to Laura Kuenssberg).

Wonder what the VAT issue is?
    "I spent most of my money on birds, booze and fast cars: the rest of it I just squandered." [George Best]
  • morstar
    morstar Posts: 6,190
    Stevo 666 wrote:
    Tony Connelly
    @tconnellyRTE

Have to assume it's something around risk of Irish border seeing different VAT rates for same product.
    Although I assume that happened post crash when out Vat rate dropped. Unless Ireland followed suit.
  • rick_chasey
    Stevo 666 wrote:
    Tony Connelly
    @tconnellyRTE

All explained here: https://twitter.com/faisalislam/status/ ... 67072?s=21
  • tailwindhome
  • tailwindhome
    I'm intrigued as to how they've resolved the consent issue.
  • TheBigBean
    TheBigBean Posts: 20,899
    I'm intrigued as to how they've resolved the consent issue.

Also intrigued. Wild guess, but every four years the EU donates to the peace fund and the DUP finds a way to vote for it. All those years of sectarian violence have created masters of a good shake down.