BREXIT - Is This Really Still Rumbling On? 😴

Comments

• tailwindhome
    tailwindhome Posts: 19,076
    The NI only backstop won't be the thing that prevents it passing.

What will then?

*If* he succeeds in removing the level playing field protections he'll lose the Labour votes he'll need to be sure.
    “New York has the haircuts, London has the trousers, but Belfast has the reason!
  • tailwindhome
    100 years ago today the British Govt began work on the partioning of Ireland

https://www.irishtimes.com/culture/book ... 5?mode=amp
    “New York has the haircuts, London has the trousers, but Belfast has the reason!
  • rick_chasey
    rick_chasey Posts: 73,620

What will then?

*If* he succeeds in removing the level playing field protections he'll lose the Labour votes he'll need to be sure.

That would be a *very* big win if he got that, no?
  • TheBigBean
    TheBigBean Posts: 20,899

What will then?

I'm not sure that is true. I think there are a number of Labour MPs who will vote for a deal.
  • Throw a confirmatory ref in there and it'll pass. Unless he's chicken.
  • Pross
    Pross Posts: 41,370
    Surely the DUP would never vote for it?

Are they relevant anymore?
  • mugensi
    mugensi Posts: 559

I don't think anyone cares what they think or vote for anymore. They no longer hold any leverage in government and their votes aren't really required as many MP's will vote for a deal rather than leave with no deal or face another few months or longer like the last few. It was ridiculous that the DUP were allowed to hold government to ransom for so long. I hope the people of NI punish them in the GE because they certainly don't represent any majority in NI.
  • imposter2.0
    imposter2.0 Posts: 12,028
    100 years ago today the British Govt began work on the partioning of Ireland

https://www.irishtimes.com/culture/book ... 5?mode=amp

Won't be long now before the Black & Tans are re-established...
  • tailwindhome
    MugenSi wrote:

I don't think anyone cares what they think or vote for anymore. They no longer hold any leverage in government and their votes aren't really required as many MP's will vote for a deal rather than leave with no deal or face another few months or longer like the last few. It was ridiculous that the DUP were allowed to hold government to ransom for so long. I hope the people of NI punish them in the GE because they certainly don't represent any majority in NI.

In fairness polling suggests their position has 95% support among their own supporters.
  • elbowloh
    elbowloh Posts: 7,078
    Throw a confirmatory ref in there and it'll pass. Unless he's chicken.
    chlorinated?
    Felt F1 2014
    Felt Z6 2012
    Red Arthur Caygill steel frame
    Tall....
    www.seewildlife.co.uk
  • elbowloh
    So, looks like we might end up with a deal that was worse than the May deal, which in turn was worse than staying in the EU.

Incredible the amount of self-harm people are willing to commit rather than admit that they were wrong.
    Felt F1 2014
    Felt Z6 2012
    Tall....
    www.seewildlife.co.uk
  • elbowloh wrote:
    So, looks like we might end up with a deal that was worse than the May deal

Taking your speculation at face value, if the deal that Boris is negotiating is worse than the May deal it should be rejected and we then have a clean Brexit. Doing anything else puts the Tories at the mercy of the Brexit Party. In this situation I would certainly vote for TBP at the next election, as would millions of others.
  • elbowloh wrote:

Taking your speculation at face value, if the deal that Boris is negotiating is worse than the May deal it should be rejected and we then have a clean Brexit. Doing anything else puts the Tories at the mercy of the Brexit Party. In this situation I would certainly vote for TBP at the next election, as would millions of others.

This is excellent news.
  • haydenm
    haydenm Posts: 2,997
    Slowbike wrote:
    Rolf F wrote:
    And yet the Scottish government is still only focused on independence
    I think you'll find they are keen to be a member of the EU. Why would you want to be part of a narrow minded country with an over-inflated sense of self importance that seems to be focussed on p1ssing off everyone it deals with? Not surprised Sturgeon is pushing it - if I was Scottish I'd probably vote for Independence now and I think it is a terrible idea. She'll likely win. Another Brexit bonus. Going to be a barrel of laughs if you live on the border but I suppose constructing the fence and customs posts will provide some new jobs.

It's an argument they'll use - but isn't it just an excuse to have another IR which was a "once in a lifetime opportunity" the last time ... another case of "if we don't get the answer we want, we'll just ask again and again, until we get the right answer" ?

The origonal quote was something like 'a once in a lifetime opportunity unless there is some political change' or something, leaving the EU is quite a big political change. The guy talking about it on the radio yesterday suggested that a change in Westminster government also constituted a political change which is clearly bullsh!t in this context.

Polling is at 50% for Scottish Independence but I can't see it happening fast enough to capitalise on the brexit mess and the peak in support will subside.
  • robert88
    robert88 Posts: 2,696
    elbowloh wrote:
    So, looks like we might end up with a deal that was worse than the May deal, which in turn was worse than staying in the EU.

Incredible the amount of self-harm people are willing to commit rather than admit that they were wrong.

Johnson's primary goal is to gain power for himself and his backers. If there is no deal the task of deflecting blame will be the next stage and considerable resources used to that aim.

Democracy has SFA to do with any of this, it's just a soundbite.
  • elbowloh
    elbowloh wrote:

WTF is a clean Brexit? If you mean no-deal, then I think this would be far from "clean".
    Felt F1 2014
    Felt Z6 2012
    Tall....
    www.seewildlife.co.uk
  • haydenm
    Throw a confirmatory ref in there and it'll pass. Unless he's chicken.

I can't see any other way through other than Johnson's deal passed with a confirmatory referendum. I would say it should have been remain vs a deal 3 years ago but we needed to get to this point for find out what the final deal was actually going to be.

I can't see the public ever being allowed to vote for no deal though, everyone knows it's dangerous apart from the few who will vote for it. That is an undemocratic view but it is also reality.
  • rjsterry
    rjsterry Posts: 28,145
    elbowloh wrote:
    elbowloh wrote:

WTF is a clean Brexit? If you mean no-deal, then I think this would be far from "clean".

But clean sounds so much better than years of protracted trade negotiations.
    1985 Mercian King of Mercia - work in progress (Hah! Who am I kidding?)
    Pinnacle Monzonite

Part of the anti-growth coalition
  • rolf_f
    rolf_f Posts: 16,015
    elbowloh wrote:
    elbowloh wrote:

He means no deal and he will never understand this point until it happens (and probably not then either). This weird belief of many people who seem to think that Brexit will magically cease to dominate the news and the work of Govt and the Public sector for the next few decades once it has happened baffles me.
    Faster than a tent.......
  • tailwindhome
    The Conservative spin seems to be that this is a deal that can get through the House.

Remarkable stuff.

Boris has in effect forced the EU to reopen the WA at the last minute to remove the concessions they had given May.
  • coopster_the_1st
    coopster_the_1st Posts: 5,158
    edited October 2019
    elbowloh wrote:
    elbowloh wrote:

Use the search, it has been referenced many times before

There's no such thing as no-deal Brexit as there are lots of side deals already waiting to start if we get a clean Brexit
  • TheBigBean
    TheBigBean Posts: 20,899
    The Conservative spin seems to be that this is a deal that can get through the House.

Remarkable stuff.

Boris has in effect forced the EU to reopen the WA at the last minute to remove the concessions they had given May.

You're not putting any value on consent then?
  • elbowloh wrote:
    elbowloh wrote:

There's no such thing as no-deal Brexit as there are lots of side deals already waiting to start if we get a clean Brexit

How is it a clean break with all those deals?

Let's call it a chaotic Brexit, as that takes the emotion out of it.
  • pblakeney
    pblakeney Posts: 26,174
    HaydenM wrote:
    Polling is at 50% for Scottish Independence but I can't see it happening fast enough to capitalise on the brexit mess and the peak in support will subside.
    ...looks at the mess Westminster is in and how long brexit will run and run for and thinks, hmmm...
    The above may be fact, or fiction, I may be serious, I may be jesting.
    I am not sure. You have no chance.
    Veronese68 wrote:
    PB is the most sensible person on here.
  • elbowloh wrote:
    elbowloh wrote:

Chaotic takes the emotion out of it :lol: It's only chaotic in remoaners minds as they have to believe this to keep Brexit as a negative.

Remoaners hate the term 'clean Brexit' because it does not fit with their negative narrative(see above).
  • PBlakeney wrote:
    HaydenM wrote:
    ...looks at the mess Westminster is in and how long brexit will run and run for and thinks, hmmm...

I wonder how inconsequential the Scottish circle would look on Stevo's favourite EU chart :lol:
  • haydenm
    PBlakeney wrote:
    HaydenM wrote:

This has been going on for years and only at the very worst point does polling look like its over 50%, once we are back to standard brexit drudgery it'll all be forgotten.*

*Unless they get given a date and the campaign runs away with itself like the Brexit campaign...
  • haydenm
    PBlakeney wrote:
    HaydenM wrote:

I wonder how inconsequential the Scottish circle would look on Stevo's favourite EU chart :lol:

I thought being a big economy in the EU was a bad thing because you subsidize all the smaller ones?
  • haydenm
    elbowloh wrote:
    elbowloh wrote:

Chaotic takes the emotion out of it :lol: It's only chaotic in remoaners minds as they have to believe this to keep Brexit as a negative.

Remoaners hate the term 'clean Brexit' because it does not fit with their negative narrative(see above).

It's a statement of fact that several trade deals with no start date or anything agreed is more chaotic than one deal with the EU that'll start immediately with as little friction as possible. Might be a good thing, we will never know, but it's not clean is it...
  • Stevo_666
    Stevo_666 Posts: 59,370
    HaydenM wrote:
    PBlakeney wrote:
    HaydenM wrote:

I thought being a big economy in the EU was a bad thing because you subsidize all the smaller ones?
    Scotland may well find out to their cost what lack of subsidy feels like if they get independence. (I'm pretty relaxed about it BTW).
    "I spent most of my money on birds, booze and fast cars: the rest of it I just squandered." [George Best]