BREXIT - Is This Really Still Rumbling On? 😴

Comments

• TheBigBean
    TheBigBean Posts: 20,642
    Fairly sure Einstein said, or is at least said to have said, that "Nationalism is an infantile disease...the measles of mankind".

Tend to agree.

F*cking awful.

Abolishing flags would be a good start.
  • rjsterry
    rjsterry Posts: 27,699
    TheBigBean wrote:
    Fairly sure Einstein said, or is at least said to have said, that "Nationalism is an infantile disease...the measles of mankind".

Tend to agree.

F*cking awful.

I suspect that would recruit more to the nats. You can just imagine the Mail and Sun headlines.
    1985 Mercian King of Mercia - work in progress (Hah! Who am I kidding?)
    Pinnacle Monzonite

Part of the anti-growth coalition
  • TheBigBean
    rjsterry wrote:
    TheBigBean wrote:

Tend to agree.

F*cking awful.

I suspect that would recruit more to the nats. You can just imagine the Mail and Sun headlines.

I didn't mean an actual ban. Society moving away from flag waving.
  • rjsterry
    TheBigBean wrote:
    rjsterry wrote:
    TheBigBean wrote:

Tend to agree.

F*cking awful.

I would love that to happen, but people like to feel that they belong to something.
    Pinnacle Monzonite

• Stevo_666
    Stevo_666 Posts: 58,560
    rjsterry wrote:
    Greek wine? :\
    Better than I had thought, but I usually make a point of having the local food and drink when we're away somewhere (Crete currently). Luckily the place where we're staying uses as many local ingredients and supplies as they can, which is why I've just been for a run to burn a bit off. Dinner time shortly :)
    "I spent most of my money on birds, booze and fast cars: the rest of it I just squandered." [George Best]
  • rjsterry
    Stevo 666 wrote:
    rjsterry wrote:
    Greek wine? :\
    Better than I had thought, but I usually make a point of having the local food and drink when we're away somewhere (Crete currently). Luckily the place where we're staying uses as many local ingredients and supplies as they can, which is why I've just been for a run to burn a bit off. Dinner time shortly :)
    Running.

In Crete.

In August.

Not sure about that.
    Anyway, most importantly, what trainers are you wearing? :)
    Pinnacle Monzonite

• Stevo_666
    Stevo_666 Posts: 58,560
    rjsterry wrote:
    Running.

In Crete.

In August.

Not sure about that.
    Anyway, most importantly, what trainers are you wearing? :)
    Not bloody Nikes that's for sure :)

I know, but surprisingly mild for the Eastern med this time of year - the temp was 'only' high 20s and no humidity. Swimming is tedious and if you saw the state of the 'roads' here you would definitely choose running over cycling.
    "I spent most of my money on birds, booze and fast cars: the rest of it I just squandered." [George Best]
  • verylonglegs
    verylonglegs Posts: 3,955
    rjsterry wrote:
    TheBigBean wrote:
    rjsterry wrote:
    TheBigBean wrote:

Tend to agree.

F*cking awful.

I would love that to happen, but people like to feel that they belong to something.

'If you need your nationality to define you then you are weak of character with nothing interesting to say' was something I heard long before the referedum and felt had a lot of truth to it. The last 3 years haven't disabused me of that suggestion.
  • rick_chasey
    rick_chasey Posts: 72,738
    Faisal Islam thread on local council No Deal prep - since they’re often the authorities who have to deliver actual services.

https://twitter.com/faisalislam/status/ ... 87042?s=21
    g North Ayrshire Council: officials “might need to amend school nutrition standards” to take into account price impact, and availability issues on fresh food - NB Scotland has more detailed standards than England & Wales
  • orraloon
    orraloon Posts: 12,694
    When will we see some heads on spikes? Got a few candidates in mind. Aux armes, citoyens.
  • orraloon
    orraloon Posts: 12,694
    This evening's boxxox from the Con Jobs to their 'faithful'. Btw as if I 'chipped in'. W4nkers. 'Hundreds and hundreds', out of an electorate of 46 million. 'kin w4nkers. Aux armes, citoyens.

The Conservative Party
    Dear redacted

Hundreds and hundreds of people chipped in to deliver Brexit by the 31st of October. Thank you for your generosity. Here’s how that money is making Brexit happen.

Deal or no deal, we’ll leave the EU by the 31st of October.

And the generosity of people like you makes it that much easier.

That’s because every donation helps us get our message out.

We’re reaching new people on Facebook. Telling them about our plans for delivering Brexit and making it work for Britain.

And we’re sending more direct mail. Because we know that the more people read about our plans, the more they back us.

So thank you to everyone who chipped in. But while we’re delivering Brexit, Labour are trying to block it.

Jeremy Corbyn wrote a letter to the leaders of Britain’s political parties. He asked them to make him temporary Prime Minister – in order to stop Brexit.

Oddly enough, he didn’t send his letter to the Leader of the Conservative Party – who is quite happy with the current Prime Minister.

And it turns out the other party leaders don’t want Corbyn as Prime Minister. Nor can they agree on what they would do instead.

Regardless of the other parties’ squabbling, we’re getting on with delivering what people voted for.

So if you know a friend who wants Brexit done by the 31st of October, why not forward this email to them?

Yours sincerely,

Boris Johnson
    Boris Johnson,
    Prime Minister

If this newsletter has been forwarded to you, and you would like to chip in, please click below. If you would like to be added to our newsletter, please click here.

Click here to Make a Donation
  • sungod
    sungod Posts: 16,557
    orraloon wrote:
    When will we see some heads on spikes? Got a few candidates in mind. Aux armes, citoyens.
    28052290546_8941baab6e_b.jpg
    my bike - faster than god's and twice as shiny
  • rick_chasey
    https://twitter.com/pmdfoster/status/11 ... 42432?s=21

Telegraph Brussels editor
    So what does this letter really tell us?

That the U.K. is not serious about a renegotiation here.

Indeed all the strategy is - led by Cummings himself - about how to lead a sham negotiation, per three sources privy to the chat. /10
  • rjsterry

Telegraph Brussels editor
    So what does this letter really tell us?

That the U.K. is not serious about a renegotiation here.

Indeed all the strategy is - led by Cummings himself - about how to lead a sham negotiation, per three sources privy to the chat. /10

Is anyone really surprised?
    Pinnacle Monzonite

• robert88
    robert88 Posts: 2,696
    Tusk (IIRC) of Johnson's elevation etc: sees no cause for renegotiation just because of "personnel changes". Plus ca change and all that.
  • rolf_f
    rolf_f Posts: 16,015
    orraloon wrote:
    This evening's boxxox from the Con Jobs to their 'faithful'. Btw as if I 'chipped in'. W4nkers. 'Hundreds and hundreds', out of an electorate of 46 million. 'kin w4nkers. Aux armes, citoyens.

The Conservative Party
    Dear redacted

A load of juvenile bollocks

Yours sincerely,

Boris Johnson
    Boris Johnson,
    Prime Minister

Good to see what levels of literacy he is targeting but there are a worrying number of multi syllable words in there. He should be careful not to confuse the faithful.
    Faster than a tent.......
  • Rolf F wrote:
    orraloon wrote:

The Conservative Party
    Dear redacted

A load of juvenile ****

Yours sincerely,

Boris Johnson
    Boris Johnson,
    Prime Minister

Good to see what levels of literacy he is targeting but there are a worrying number of multi syllable words in there. He should be careful not to confuse the faithful.

is it actually a missive from HQ or is it a parody?
  • kingstongraham
    kingstongraham Posts: 26,270
    It's such an obvious game they're playing.

Do you think that if the EU came back and said "ok, we'll accept a commitment to alternative arrangements that prevent a hard border like you say", Cummings would go for the withdrawal agreement?
  • TheBigBean

Do you think that if the EU came back and said "ok, we'll accept a commitment to alternative arrangements that prevent a hard border like you say", Cummings would go for the withdrawal agreement?

Yes. Perhaps subject to a couple of other tweaks. Why wouldn't he?
  • rick_chasey
    Isn't the backstop only there untill an improved alternative solution is provided?

So if they're upset about it not being timed, are they not admitting that they don't expect an alternative solution to be agreed?
  • TheBigBean
    Isn't the backstop only there untill an improved alternative solution is provided?

So if they're upset about it not being timed, are they not admitting that they don't expect an alternative solution to be agreed?

It is a question of who is doing the approving, and how much smuggling is tolerable. The UK's concern is the EU will use it to force regulatory compliance.
  • tailwindhome
    tailwindhome Posts: 18,941
    ECXjcZpXkAAP1sU?format=jpg&name=large

ECZ0pRVXYAEvYRX?format=jpg&name=large
    “New York has the haircuts, London has the trousers, but Belfast has the reason!
  • kingstongraham
    kingstongraham Posts: 26,270
    TheBigBean wrote:

Because I don't believe he gives a shit about NI. He either wants a no deal for some reason, or wants to open up negotiations again.
  • rjsterry
    TheBigBean wrote:

It is a question of who is doing the approving, and how much smuggling is tolerable. The UK's concern is the EU will use it to force regulatory compliance.

To whom are you referring? A significant minority seem to reject absolutely everything about the WA, not just certain technical concerns over the backstop.
    Pinnacle Monzonite

• TheBigBean
    TheBigBean wrote:

Because I don't believe he gives a shoot about NI. He either wants a no deal for some reason, or wants to open up negotiations again.

Yes, I think he would like to open negotiations again, but probably only on a few points. Ultimately, he wants a majority in parliament which is likely to come if the WA passes.
  • rick_chasey
    TheBigBean wrote:
    TheBigBean wrote:

Because I don't believe he gives a shoot about NI. He either wants a no deal for some reason, or wants to open up negotiations again.

Yes, I think he would like to open negotiations again, but probably only on a few points. Ultimately, he wants a majority in parliament which is likely to come if the WA passes.

The reports from the Cumming's briefing suggest that the plan is not to get a majority in parliament for the WA, but instead gunning hard for an election.
  • TheBigBean
    rjsterry wrote:
    TheBigBean wrote:

To whom are you referring? A significant minority seem to reject absolutely everything about the WA, not just certain technical concerns over the backstop.

The sensible ones.
  • rick_chasey
    In this context it's not really clear who you mean by sensible.
  • bobmcstuff
    bobmcstuff Posts: 11,196
    Ah fishing quotas. Only 0.1% of GDP but for some reason is capable of working gammons into a full on frenzy.
  • TheBigBean wrote:

Agreed - if you read Cummings blog he is not a no-dealer