BREXIT - Is This Really Still Rumbling On? 😴

Comments

• kingstongraham
    kingstongraham Posts: 26,270
    Can we agree now that we do still have the sovereignty to pull out of the EU, but that leaving seems a bad idea after the yellowhammer document?

Point proven.
  • Can we agree now that we do still have the sovereignty to pull out of the EU, but that leaving seems a bad idea after the yellowhammer document?

Point proven.

It is bizarre that they can not see the obvious solution to a massive array of problems
  • Stevo_666
    Stevo_666 Posts: 58,560
    Slowmart wrote:
    Stevo 666 wrote:
    I explained this to you in the 'Boris as PM thread'. You didn't put any counter arguments forward at the time so I assume youve just forgotten what I told you? Here's a quick reminder:

"Slowmart wrote:
    The mechanisms for exporting and importing goods just won’t be there

I replied:
    That is simply not correct.

The mechanisms there - how do you think we import goods from and export goods to non-EU countries currently? There will likely be more paperwork/admin, and extra tariffs on certain classes of goods but to suggest that trade of goods will somehow just stop is wrong."

It is part of the Brexit plannig I am involved in for my Group. We expect some additional admin costs and possible moderate delays at the border in the early days, but nothing fundamental or existential.

Whilst existing mechanisms exists what makes you think they will be utilised with the EU in the event of no deal?

And let’s take each of your points one by one.

Some additional admin costs? Which will be passes onto and paid for by the consumer in higher prices

Moderate delays? What’s moderate and you need to qualify that timeframe, the class of goods and the impact on the economy and individuals., which no one can , so how can you state it’s not fundamental if you can’t assess or measure the impact?

Early days, mmmmmm do you know the average timeframe to negotiate a trade agreement? It won’t be days or months.

You’ve not mentioned tariffs or your planning in the event of no deal?

Add Boris and his dim witted Cabinet and you really think they can agree, build, execute and embed new trade agreements with the EU or any other sovereign state. And while negotiations drag on Boris will be desperate to bend over for anyone offering anything.
    Additional admin costs - in our case approx 0.1% of product value so immaterial.

Moderate delays - once things settle into the new norm it will be in line with times to import goods from non-EU countries currently. Our carriers and logistics partners have also set up new routes in via less utilised points of entry to mitigate the risk. And as mentioned the UK will prioritise goods flow over revenues in the transition period. We are keeping stock levels at the upper end of the band in the interim to cover the short term disruption as changes are made. View in the supply chain is this these are manageable.

Additional tariffs - over 98% of our goods are exempt under WTO regs so again, impact likely to be around 0.1% of product value. Again, immaterial.

I didn't mention trade agreements, you did. But well aware of timescales. Worth mentioning ghat you dont need a trade agreement to trade e.g. we export more to the US than any other country and we have no trade agreement with them yet. Trade agreements help but trade doesn't stop without them.

While clearly there will be some impact, unfortunately for you and some others, trade will not simply stop and in my view it will not be the Armageddon scenario that you think - and appear to desperately want.

Anyhow, I'm off on my hols shortly. Try not to worry too much :wink:
    "I spent most of my money on birds, booze and fast cars: the rest of it I just squandered." [George Best]
  • rick_chasey
    rick_chasey Posts: 72,738
    So what does Stevo know that the briefing document the civil servants wrote that ended up on the front page of the Sunday Times didn’t know?
  • Stevo_666
    So what does Stevo know that the briefing document the civil servants wrote that ended up on the front page of the Sunday Times didn’t know?
    That would be hard to tell without meeting them to see how much they do know and how imparial they might be.

However I know that the answer to a similar question will be 'a fair bit more than you' in this case :wink:

You lot whinge nicely while I'm away sunning myself 8)
    "I spent most of my money on birds, booze and fast cars: the rest of it I just squandered." [George Best]
  • So what does Stevo know that the briefing document the civil servants wrote that ended up on the front page of the Sunday Times didn’t know?

In fairness they are not mutually exclusive as the official report does say bigger organisations are better prepared. It also sounds like SteveO’s industry will not be impacted as much as many.
  • orraloon
    orraloon Posts: 12,694
    Ach, delete, message to self, must not rise to the bait...
  • tailwindhome
    tailwindhome Posts: 18,941
    Stevo 666 wrote:

If you're going to Euroland I hope you bought your currency early

They're being difficult and not giving as many Euros for the pound as they should.
    “New York has the haircuts, London has the trousers, but Belfast has the reason!
  • Stevo 666 wrote:

They're being difficult and not giving as many Euros for the pound as they should.

Yanks have imposed similar measures on us
  • robert88
    robert88 Posts: 2,696
    Stevo 666 wrote:

Was on a business visit in the outskirts of Paris earlier this month. I have been before a few times and there are usually plenty of British number plates to be seen. I saw just one, in front of me at the peage.

Admittedly I steer clear of touristy bits but I was surprised. The channel crossings were fairly quiet given time of year.
  • Stevo_666
    orraloon wrote:
    Oh go on...beats mowing lawns, surely?
  • Stevo_666
    Stevo 666 wrote:

I had my usual on-going float for my Euro business trips and the hol itself was paid for 6 months back, so no problem. That said, I remember going skiing in early 2009 when the GFC was really hitting home and the exchange rate was something like 1.04 or 1.05. The vin chaud and raclette was a tad pricey but we still had a good time and the world stayed spinning on its axis.

Now enjoying some Greek gin & tonic which tastes like no other G&T I've had before but is still going down rather well 8)
  • robert88
    Stevo 666 wrote:
    orraloon wrote:

Seems not :lol: .
  • kingstongraham
    kingstongraham Posts: 26,270
    Stevo 666 wrote:
    . That said, I remember going skiing in early 2009 when the GFC was really hitting home and the exchange rate was something like 1.04 or 1.05. The vin chaud and raclette was a tad pricey but we still had a good time and the world stayed spinning on its axis.

Is this the updated version of "we survived the war"?
  • robert88
    Stevo 666 wrote:
    . That said, I remember going skiing in early 2009 when the GFC was really hitting home and the exchange rate was something like 1.04 or 1.05. The vin chaud and raclette was a tad pricey but we still had a good time and the world stayed spinning on its axis.

I flew home the day after 9/11. You could smell the fear. They told us we couldn't keep the wine we were bringing home in the hold and it would have to accompany us in the cabin. Then they sat us right outside the cockpit door. I guess we either looked harmless or they needed to keep us where they could see us. It was sh1t but we didn't die.
  • rjsterry
    rjsterry Posts: 27,699
    Stevo 666 wrote:

"It was so bad we almost had to think twice about our skiing holiday" :lol:
    1985 Mercian King of Mercia - work in progress (Hah! Who am I kidding?)
    Pinnacle Monzonite

Part of the anti-growth coalition
  • Stevo_666
    rjsterry wrote:
    Stevo 666 wrote:

Not even that :)
  • TheBigBean
    TheBigBean Posts: 20,642
    rjsterry wrote:
    Stevo 666 wrote:

You joke, but that seems to be half of the Brexit debate. The increased cost of ski trips, nannies, cleaners and gardeners.
  • rick_chasey
    TheBigBean wrote:
    rjsterry wrote:
    Stevo 666 wrote:

You joke, but that seems to be half of the Brexit debate. The increased cost of ski trips, nannies, cleaners and gardeners.

“Willing to pay for sovereignty”
  • pblakeney
    pblakeney Posts: 25,805
    TheBigBean wrote:
    rjsterry wrote:
    Stevo 666 wrote:

“Willing for someone else to pay for sovereignty”
    FTFY
    The above may be fact, or fiction, I may be serious, I may be jesting.
    I am not sure. You have no chance.
    Veronese68 wrote:
    PB is the most sensible person on here.
  • orraloon
    orraloon Posts: 12,694
    Stevo 666 wrote:
    orraloon wrote:
    keep spinning the lures, beanie :D
  • Stevo_666
    orraloon wrote:
    Stevo 666 wrote:
    orraloon wrote:
    keep spinning the lures, beanie :D
    I think the moniker 'Lawnmower Man' seems somehow appropriate for you :)

Shouldn't you be out tidying some old dears lawn and filling the coffers up ready for the Brexit apocalypse? BTW I'm just enjoying a very affordable glass of plonk by the poolside so no need to lecture me about posting from work :wink:
  • rjsterry
    rjsterry Posts: 27,699
    Greek wine? :\
    1985 Mercian King of Mercia - work in progress (Hah! Who am I kidding?)
    Pinnacle Monzonite

Part of the anti-growth coalition
  • rick_chasey
    https://www.thesun.co.uk/news/brexit/96 ... test-news/
    29th June
    Defiant Boris Johnson plans to ‘snub’ EU leaders until they promise to re-open Brexit talks and scrap hated Northern Irish border

https://www.theguardian.com/politics/20 ... eal-brexit
    16th Aug
    Boris Johnson to head to Paris and Berlin in bid to break Brexit deadlock

What leverage.
  • rick_chasey
    rjsterry wrote:
    Greek wine? :\

Now now, don't be snobby.

Depends on where you are but there's some lovely stuff there - they just keep the good stuff to themselves.
  • rolf_f
    rolf_f Posts: 16,015
    https://www.thesun.co.uk/news/brexit/9606531/boris-johnson-eu-brexit-irish-border-latest-news/
    29th June
    Defiant Boris Johnson plans to ‘snub’ EU leaders until they promise to re-open Brexit talks and scrap hated Northern Irish border

https://www.theguardian.com/politics/20 ... eal-brexit
    16th Aug
    Boris Johnson to head to Paris and Berlin in bid to break Brexit deadlock

What leverage.

Are you implying that we need more than vacuous bluster?
    Faster than a tent.......
  • rick_chasey
    Was always taught that symbolism in diplomacy was important.

BoJo insisting EU leaders come visit him and then going to visit them illustrates the point many have made re leverage.
  • rolf_f
    rolf_f Posts: 16,015

BoJo insisting EU leaders come visit him and then going to visit them illustrates the point many have made re leverage.

I suppose that endemic Nationalism means that the vacuous bluster counts for more than symbolism or diplomacy.
    Faster than a tent.......
  • rick_chasey
    Fairly sure Einstein said, or is at least said to have said, that "Nationalism is an infantile disease...the measles of mankind".

Tend to agree.

F*cking awful.
  • TheBigBean
    TheBigBean Posts: 20,642
    edited August 2019

If he is not expecting any compromise until the VONC is won, why would he visit before then? I would presume to double down on the bluff / policy. Edit to add - delivering bad news is usually done on opposition turf.