• rick_chasey
    rick_chasey Posts: 72,734
    edited August 2020
    Ignore,
  • rick_chasey

Death by a thousand cuts.
    Hogan resigns

So does this make EU bureaucrats accountable then?
  • Brexit not even on the agenda to be discussed at next big EU meeting.

Main problem seems to be the loonyleftiebollix state aid conditions
  • TheBigBean
    TheBigBean Posts: 20,640

Brexit not even on the agenda to be discussed at next big EU meeting.

Main problem seems to be the loonyleftiebollix state aid conditions

Even the Guardian article on this exclusive has to put the word pragmistism in quotes. It reads a bit like the ball is being taken home.

Also, I don't think you understand the amount of influence state aid rules have. Even in a market context. For example, the EU ruled that the UK's electricity capacity market was state aid. That's just a mechanism to keep the lights on.
  • TheBigBean

Death by a thousand cuts.
    Hogan resigns

So does this make EU bureaucrats accountable then?
    To their bosses, yes. To their electorates, no.
  • tailwindhome
    tailwindhome Posts: 18,941
    “New York has the haircuts, London has the trousers, but Belfast has the reason!
  • They will be celebrating down ‘Spoons that post Brexit the Govt will be free to grow the customs sector

Let’s
    Get
    Going

Oh sh1t I just noticed the grammatical error in their three word slogan
  • briantrumpet
    briantrumpet Posts: 17,923

They will be celebrating down ‘Spoons that post Brexit the Govt will be free to grow the customs sector

Let’s
    Get
    Going

Oh censored I just noticed the grammatical error in their three word slogan

It's great that we've got rid of all that EU bureaucracy.

Maybe this belongs in the irony thread.
  • briantrumpet
    BTW, what's the grammatical error, SC?
  • BTW, what's the grammatical error, SC?

Lets should be let’s
  • pblakeney
    pblakeney Posts: 25,799

Lets should be let’s
    But it is. 🧐
    The above may be fact, or fiction, I may be serious, I may be jesting.
    I am not sure. You have no chance.
    Veronese68 wrote:
    PB is the most sensible person on here.
  • briantrumpet
    pblakeney said:

Lets should be let’s
    But it is. 🧐

Ah, it is, but not in the hashtag, for good reason, I guess.
  • Stevo_666
    Stevo_666 Posts: 58,538
    Not long ago I suggested that the EU fires Barnier to make some progress in the talks. OK, the EU never fires anyone for doing a bad job so this looks like this is the closest they will get to it:

https://telegraph.co.uk/politics/2020/09/04/exclusive-michel-barnier-sidelined-eu-leaders-bid-break-brexit/

As its probably paywalled, here's a quote:
    "European Union chief Brexit negotiator Michel Barnier is set to be sidelined by EU leaders in a bid to get a breakthrough in the negotiations about a trade treaty with the UK.

Representatives of the bloc’s 27 member states expect Ursula von der Leyen, the president of the European Commission, to pave the way for heads of state and government to intervene in the deadlocked talks in a September 16 flagship speech."
    "I spent most of my money on birds, booze and fast cars: the rest of it I just squandered." [George Best]
  • surrey_commuter
    surrey_commuter Posts: 18,866
    edited September 2020
    Stevo_666 said:

Not long ago I suggested that the EU fires Barnier to make some progress in the talks. OK, the EU never fires anyone for doing a bad job so this looks like this is the closest they will get to it:

https://telegraph.co.uk/politics/2020/09/04/exclusive-michel-barnier-sidelined-eu-leaders-bid-break-brexit/

"European Union chief Brexit negotiator Michel Barnier is set to be sidelined by EU leaders in a bid to get a breakthrough in the negotiations about a trade treaty with the UK.

Representatives of the bloc’s 27 member states expect Ursula von der Leyen, the president of the European Commission, to pave the way for heads of state and government to intervene in the deadlocked talks in a September 16 flagship speech."

What I don’t get is why everybody is so sure that Barnier is a rogue operator and is not just following orders

Genuine question - do you think Boris wants a meaningful deal?
  • Stevo_666 said:

That report is based on rather thin sources: one EU diplomat. And that one source says that both he and David Frost will be 'sidelined'.

"However one EU diplomat said they expected Mrs von der Leyen to "set the scene to sideline Barnier and Frost to find a high level political solution"."
  • I see the UK confusing the political leaders stepping in when the negotiators have taken the process as far as they can, and only decisions of what can be conceded (or not) can move the process forward (or not) , with the other side's negotiator being 'sidelined', again.
    “New York has the haircuts, London has the trousers, but Belfast has the reason!
  • Stevo_666

Stevo_666 said:

What I don’t get is why everybody is so sure that Barnier is a rogue operator and is not just following orders

Not so much rogue as maybe too intransigent or has rubbed up our side the wrong way too often?

I think Boris wants one but on certain terms. Not too far from what the EU wants generally in my view (although clearly they want different specific things).
    "I spent most of my money on birds, booze and fast cars: the rest of it I just squandered." [George Best]
  • Stevo_666 said:

Stevo_666 said:

Not so much rogue as maybe too intransigent or has rubbed up our side the wrong way too often?

I think Boris wants one but on certain terms. Not too far from what the EU wants generally in my view (although clearly they want different specific things).
    So you think he does not get the EU position or does not realise the relative weakness of his position.
  • vegas76
    vegas76 Posts: 278
    Stevo_666 said:

This shows what an idiot you are. Barnier is not a negotiator. He is a box ticker. He has a mandate and he needs to stay within the stipulated parameters.

Only an absolute idiot thinks the telegraph has any authority on these matters. Weren't they banging on about how the German carmakers were going to driver to the rescue... Hmmmm

• Thanks. It's a good article, even if it doesn't fill one with optimism of a deal being reached in time, given the rhetoric. One hopes there are more detailed back-up plans than just blaming the other side for intransigence.

As it says, " "I can’t believe we would let agreement fail given that we’re going to need an agreement at some point in the next couple of years," says one well-placed observer of Johnson’s administration."
  • Stevo_666

Stevo_666 said:

Stevo_666 said:

So you think he does not get the EU position or does not realise the relative weakness of his position.
    I reckon that he does not properly 'get' the EU position, but by the same token the EU still do not properly get our position either. But I'm speculating.
  • Stevo_666
    vegas76 said:

Stevo_666 said:

This shows what an idiot you are. Barnier is not a negotiator. He is a box ticker. He has a mandate and he needs to stay within the stipulated parameters.

Only an absolute idiot thinks the telegraph has any authority on these matters. Weren't they banging on about how the German carmakers were going to driver to the rescue... Hmmmm
    Thanks for your constructive contribution, as ever. I was wondering when you'd crawl out from under your little bridge :smile:

Given what you said above, I am wondering why the EU have given him the title of 'Chief Negotiator - Task Force for the Preparation and Conduct of the Negotiations with the United Kingdom'. Do you think the EU are fibbing about his job? Or maybe that Barnier leading the negotiations with the UK over the last few years has just been a fabrication in the mainstream media?
  • Stevo_666 said:

Stevo_666 said:

Stevo_666 said:

I reckon that he does not properly 'get' the EU position, but by the same token the EU still do not properly get our position either. But I'm speculating.
    I think it is a case of the EU not caring about our position and being wound up by posturing intended for a UK audience, the most obvious being “cake and eat it”
  • morstar
    morstar Posts: 6,190

Stevo_666 said:

Stevo_666 said:

Stevo_666 said:

I think it is a case of the EU not caring about our position and being wound up by posturing intended for a UK audience, the most obvious being “cake and eat it”
    Which if true is consistent with the pattern of perception over competence.
    The tories prize satisfying the Brexit voter with perceived eurobashing over delivering a successful outcome in negotiations.
    Power as a means to an end.
  • rick_chasey
    Stevo_666 said:

vegas76 said:

Stevo_666 said:

Thanks for your constructive contribution, as ever. I was wondering when you'd crawl out from under your little bridge :smile:

Given what you said above, I am wondering why the EU have given him the title of 'Chief Negotiator - Task Force for the Preparation and Conduct of the Negotiations with the United Kingdom'. Do you think the EU are fibbing about his job? Or maybe that Barnier leading the negotiations with the UK over the last few years has just been a fabrication in the mainstream media?
    What is it about the EU power structure that makes you think Barnier has so much leeway?
  • Stevo_666

Stevo_666 said:

vegas76 said:

Stevo_666 said:

What is it about the EU power structure that makes you think Barnier has so much leeway?
    You appear to be imagining what I'm thinking.
  • vegas76
    vegas76 Posts: 278
    Stevo_666 said:

Yet more ignorant drivel.
  • Stevo_666
    vegas76 said:

Stevo_666 said:

Yet more ignorant drivel.
    Only asking questions...I want you to cure my ignorance, so tell me what you think.

I with an attitude like that I'm guessing you're a such a winner in real life :D
  • TheBigBean

Stevo_666 said:

Stevo_666 said:

Stevo_666 said:

Stevo_666 said:

Stevo_666 said:

Stevo_666 said:

And yet, they appoint Barnier who does nothing but posture. Why would you choose a politican to do the job of a technocrat?