BREXIT - Is This Really Still Rumbling On? 😴

Comments

• rolf_f
    rolf_f Posts: 16,015
    Pross wrote:
    Kwasi Kwarteng

"Many people are saying I'm not saying this, but many people..are saying that the judges are biased the judges are getting involved in politics. I'm just saying what people are saying."

Finally a politician that does actually know what people are thinking. They are a rare beast...

When you say "knows what the people are thinking" I assume you mean "knows what me and like minded people are thinking"? As you might have noticed the country is split down the middle so it's impossible say "this is what the people are saying / thinking". If we are going by majorities then a poll on the proroguing issue showed 47% were against compared to 24% in favour so the judges are in line with the people on that and we know you like the will of the people to be followed.

You are wasting your time...........
    Faster than a tent.......
  • Pross
    Pross Posts: 40,588
    rjsterry wrote:
    rjsterry wrote:
    rjsterry wrote:
    No food shortages, just a reduction in availability and choice.

Am amazed they are not considering the possibility that French fishymen may blockade Calais in response to being banned from our waters on 1st November.

One of the other points is that on D1ND, there may be 288 non-UK fishing vessels in UK waters and that we are unlikely to have the resources to do much about it.

What is your position on this illegal activity by EU fishermen?

Not sure I have one. On the face of it their activities would I think become illegal overnight but the report seems to suggest that enforcing that is well down the list of priorities. That seems sensible.

The UK fishermen will be very motivated to make sure their livelihoods are protected so will enforce this enmass.
    :lol:

Cod Wars Episode 2 - Attack of the Boats

Captain Birdseye leads the rebel alliance* in fighting off the rampaging hoardes of the Imperial European Army.

* They might need a new name as someone has recently taken the rebel alliance label.
  • sungod
    sungod Posts: 16,556
    Rolf F wrote:
    You are wasting your time...........
    yep, spot on

1tox3z.jpg
    my bike - faster than god's and twice as shiny
  • imposter2.0
    imposter2.0 Posts: 12,028
    Live footage of the cod wars taking place in the English Channel...

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=T8XeDvKqI4E
  • sungod
    sungod Posts: 16,556
    those german mullets are lethal
    my bike - faster than god's and twice as shiny
  • rolf_f
    rolf_f Posts: 16,015
    I was more thinking....... https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=lw9v99PZOkk
    Faster than a tent.......
  • bompington
    bompington Posts: 7,674
    I like this
    cutting off your penis and giving all your money to the most Anglophobic party you can think of is currently only the second most extreme form of self-harm in English politics, some distance behind a no-deal Brexit
  • haydenm
    haydenm Posts: 2,997
    Kwasi Kwarteng

"Many people are saying I'm not saying this, but many people..are saying that the judges are biased the judges are getting involved in politics. I'm just saying what people are saying."

Finally a politician that does actually know what people are thinking. They are a rare beast...

He must really have balls to bravely pussyfoot around an issue like that.

As others have said, completely wasting my time here but people on all sides are distancing themselves from that view. There isn't enough time to explain why questioning the motives of the independent judiciary is dangerous, reckless and stupid.

You could put anything in that sort of sentence and disingenuously claim it isn't you: "Many people are saying I'm not saying this, but many people..are saying that Coopster is an idiot. I'm just saying what people are saying."

I'm glad people care so greatly about fishing as 0.1% of the UK economy, maybe we should consider the rest of the economy too before we make this decision. Oh wait...
  • rjsterry
    rjsterry Posts: 27,697
    HaydenM wrote:
    Kwasi Kwarteng

He must really have balls to bravely pussyfoot around an issue like that.

As others have said, completely wasting my time here but people on all sides are distancing themselves from that view. There isn't enough time to explain why questioning the motives of the independent judiciary is dangerous, reckless and stupid.

You could put anything in that sort of sentence and disingenuously claim it isn't you: "Many people are saying I'm not saying this, but many people..are saying that Coopster is an idiot. I'm just saying what people are saying."

I'm glad people care so greatly about fishing as 0.1% of the UK economy, maybe we should consider the rest of the economy too before we make this decision. Oh wait...

I seem to recall that Harrods contributes more to the UK economy than the entire fishing industry.
    1985 Mercian King of Mercia - work in progress (Hah! Who am I kidding?)
    Pinnacle Monzonite

Part of the anti-growth coalition
  • coopster_the_1st
    coopster_the_1st Posts: 5,158
    edited September 2019
    Pross wrote:
    Kwasi Kwarteng

When you say "knows what the people are thinking" I assume you mean "knows what me and like minded people are thinking"? As you might have noticed the country is split down the middle so it's impossible say "this is what the people are saying / thinking". If we are going by majorities then a poll on the proroguing issue showed 47% were against compared to 24% in favour so the judges are in line with the people on that and we know you like the will of the people to be followed.

The Scottish court would have been fully aware of the the UK High Court decision to judge this was a political decision and not for the courts, so how have the Scottish judges not even got close to the UK High Court decision?

You would think senior judges with their legal experience would have similar interpretations of law especially when they are fully aware of a recent decision from another senior court.

Now wonder their independence is being called into question with the route they have taken
  • slowbike
    slowbike Posts: 8,498
    Don't laugh about the "cod wars"
    https://news.sky.com/story/uk-and-franc ... s-11484706

If the fishermen start fighting, it is going to cost lives...
  • haydenm
    I'm sure this will have been posted before but it certainly looks like a lot of fuss over nothing:
    https%3A%2F%2Fd1e00ek4ebabms.cloudfront.net%2Fproduction%2F971de8b9-67f5-43fa-a44c-570977847b5f_FINAL.png?source=Alphaville
  • haydenm
    Pross wrote:
    Kwasi Kwarteng

The Scottish court would have been fully aware of the the UK High Court decision to judge this was a political decision and not for the courts, so how have the Scottish judges not even got close to the UK High Court decision?

You would think senior judges with their legal experience would have similar interpretations of law especially when they are fully aware of a recent decision from another senior court.

Now wonder their independence is being called into question with the route they have taken

Because Scottish law is different, obviously.
  • rjsterry
    Pross wrote:
    Kwasi Kwarteng

Scottish law is not the same as English law so you should not expect them to reach the same conclusion. Unless of course you weren't aware of that difference.
    Pinnacle Monzonite

• Pross
    Pross wrote:
    Kwasi Kwarteng

You know that Scotland has its own legal system don't you (and someone has already posted about the differences on constitutional law)? Scotland is still at least partially governed by UK parliament so they have every right to decide if Parliament is acting within Scottish law.

Besides, what we are getting is what Brexiteers are so keen on and UK Courts taking back control and making decisions rather than leaving it to those corrupt foreigners. I would have thought you'd approve.
  • Pross wrote:
    Pross wrote:
    Kwasi Kwarteng

You know that Scotland has its own legal system don't you (and someone has already posted about the differences on constitutional law)? Scotland is still at least partially governed by UK parliament so they have every right to decide if Parliament is acting within Scottish law.

Besides, what we are getting is what Brexiteers are so keen on and UK Courts taking back control and making decisions rather than leaving it to those corrupt foreigners. I would have thought you'd approve.

The Scottish court via these 3 judges has allowed itself to become a useful idiot on behalf of remainer extremists. They could easily, in full knowledge of the decision by another senior UK court have said this is a political decision and referred it to the supreme court as the UK High Court did.

It is their own fault they have allowed their neutrality to be brought into question
  • Pross
    Pross wrote:
    Pross wrote:
    Kwasi Kwarteng

The Scottish court via these 3 judges has allowed itself to become a useful idiot on behalf of remainer extremists. They could easily, in full knowledge of the decision by another senior UK court have said this is a political decision and referred it to the supreme court as the UK High Court did.

It is their own fault they have allowed their neutrality to be brought into question

What if they have just reviewed the decision against law and the decision is their legal opinion of the position? Just because they made a decision you don't like doesn't mean they have be pressured into it by anyone. In fact, the fact you don't like it is a pretty solid case that the decision is a good one.
  • haydenm
    Pross wrote:
    Pross wrote:
    Kwasi Kwarteng

But that would be totally un-neutral. They made a decision based on the law which they're institution is in existence to adjudicate. Why would they suddenly switch to UK law? Your view on this is totally ridiculous. Maybe the English courts could switch to Scottish law for a bit?
  • The Scottish court via these 3 judges has allowed itself to become a useful idiot on behalf of remainer extremists. They could easily, in full knowledge of the decision by another senior UK court have said this is a political decision and referred it to the supreme court as the UK High Court did.

You keep saying the UK high court. I thought it was the England and Wales High Court.
  • coopster_the_1st
    coopster_the_1st Posts: 5,158
    edited September 2019
    Pross wrote:
    Pross wrote:
    Pross wrote:
    Kwasi Kwarteng

What if they have just reviewed the decision against law and the decision is their legal opinion of the position? Just because they made a decision you don't like doesn't mean they have be pressured into it by anyone. In fact, the fact you don't like it is a pretty solid case that the decision is a good one.

Oh look, the High Court in Belfast has also said the main aspects of the case were "inherently and unmistakeably political"

The Scottish Court and its decision looks less and less independent as time goes on...
  • David Allen Green
    @davidallengreen
    ·
    5m
    Today, in summary

For the first time a court - and not just any court, but the highest court of one of the constituent nations of the United Kingdom - ruled that the Prime Minister had knowingly misled the Sovereign

If
    @UKSupremeCourt
    concurs, the Prime Minister must resign

Somebody quoted another david Allen green who said there was zero chance of this happening

I'd a liar if I said I was on top of the 3 different cases running and the commentary on them.
    “New York has the haircuts, London has the trousers, but Belfast has the reason!
  • haydenm

Oh look, the High Court in Belfast has also said the main aspects of the case were "inherently and unmistakeably political"

The Scottish Court and its decision looks less and less independent as time goes on...

Come on man, how hard is it to understand?
  • imposter2.0
    imposter2.0 Posts: 12,028
    Can everyone please just stop engaging with coopster - the guy is obviously just a contrarian troll.

• The Scottish Court and its decision looks less and less independent as time goes on...

I never cease to be amazed at the range of your expert knowledge.
  • TheBigBean
    TheBigBean Posts: 20,642

It's an internet forum. It's full of experts on everything.
  • HaydenM wrote:

Two senior courts have judged these cases to be "unmistakeably political"

What is hard for you to understand why another senior court could not see this?

I know you don't like majority results that don't conform your view :lol:

• The Scottish Court and its decision looks less and less independent as time goes on...

You don't need to be an expert to see the political motivations behind the cases to the senior courts of the UK
  • rjsterry
    Pross wrote:
    Pross wrote:
    Kwasi Kwarteng

There is the law of England and Wales. There is the law of Scotland. Two different systems. It's therefore perfectly possible for something to be lawful in England and unlawful in Scotland. The two highest courts in each country have come to different decisions based on their own law. It would be bizarre for one of those courts to assess the case on the basis of the other legal system. There is no such thing as the UK High Court. There is a Supreme Court of the United Kingdom, which is where the final ruling will be made.

I'm struggling to see what public opinion, on either side of the argument, has to do with any of this. Public opinion is irrelevant to the question of whether something is lawful or not.
    Pinnacle Monzonite

• haydenm
    HaydenM wrote:

Two senior courts have judged these cases to be "unmistakeably political"

What is hard for you to understand why another senior court could not see this?

I know you don't like majority results that don't conform your view :lol:

NI voted to remain as well. Also, you have no idea whether what sort of brexit I'm in favour of, it's also irrelevant as we are discussing the independent judiciary, not politics.

For the last time, it's very easy to see why another court might have a different interpretation if they have subtly different rules. It's really not that hard to understand unless you're extremely hard of thinking, or trolling.
  • mamil314
    mamil314 Posts: 1,103
    ... a useful idiot ...

I cannot even begin to describe the amount of irony of this coming from you.