2015 Giro Stage 4 **Spoilers**

123457»

Comments

• frenchfighter
    frenchfighter Posts: 30,642
    Jonathan Vaughters @Vaughters · 4h 4 hours ago
    Forza Davide!!!!!!!!!!!

@Vaughters · 4h 4 hours ago
    Come on baby!!! (Literally, this kid looks like he's 14.... Except when he's kicking ass in a bike race)

@Vaughters · 4h 4 hours ago
    To express how happy I am would be impossible. Thank you @Ride_Argyle thank you @wegelius @davideformolo !!!!
    Contador is the Greatest
  • ugo.santalucia
    ugo.santalucia Posts: 28,310
    Formolo could be the next big climber... he did 4th and then 2nd at the Giro della Valle d'Aosta before turning PRO... second only to Nibali at the Italian championship last summer, first win at 22 and in style... very impressive... very exciting rider!
    left the forum March 2023
  • frenchfighter
    Formolo could be the next big climber... he did 4th and then 2nd at the Giro della Valle d'Aosta before turning PRO... second only to Nibali at the Italian championship last summer, first win at 22 and in style... very impressive... very exciting rider!

Yeah excellent. Very decent palmares last year too. The 4th he got in Aosta was won by Aru.
    aru_101069.JPG
    Contador is the Greatest
  • ugo.santalucia
    ugo.santalucia Posts: 28,310
    What if the kid becomes a man tomorrow and takes the jersey?

He's only a handful of seconds behind Contador... it's not impossible...

Now, that would be something! :shock:
    left the forum March 2023
  • milton50
    milton50 Posts: 3,856
    Macaloon wrote:
    If Contador rides conservatively tomorrow and avoids making a statement I'd say he's in trouble

?

You mean in trouble from a team point of view or from a personal form point of view?
    All being well he should put a couple of minutes into 58kg Porte in the TT.

No chance.
  • FJS
    FJS Posts: 4,820
    LeePaton wrote:
    I've said this before and I have yet to be proven wrong. Uran is not a GT contender, especially at EQS.
    You can say whatever you want, but if a rider has been 2nd in the Giro twice he is a GT contender.
  • LeePaton
    LeePaton Posts: 353
    FJS wrote:
    LeePaton wrote:
    I've said this before and I have yet to be proven wrong. Uran is not a GT contender, especially at EQS.
    You can say whatever you want, but if a rider has been 2nd in the Giro twice he is a GT contender.

5 & 3 minutes respectively says more about a pap field than strong contender. He'd be better to trying to win the Ardennes IMO he's no slouch in one days... He would have beat Rui Costa at the worlds bar the crash in my eyes.

However opinions are like derrieres everyone has one.
    It's not so much about winning, I just hate losing.
  • blazing_saddles
    blazing_saddles Posts: 22,706
    LeePaton wrote:
    FJS wrote:
    LeePaton wrote:

5 & 3 minutes respectively says more about a pap field than strong contender. He'd be better to trying to win the Ardennes IMO he's no slouch in one days... He would have beat Rui Costa at the worlds bar the crash in my eyes.

So, he's not a GT contender, because in the GTs where he was a contender, there were no other contenders to contend with.
    Got it. Derrieres indeed.
    "Science is a tool for cheaters". An anonymous French PE teacher.
  • LeePaton
    LeePaton Posts: 353
    LeePaton wrote:
    FJS wrote:
    LeePaton wrote:

So, he's not a GT contender, because in the GTs where he was a contender, there were no other contenders to contend with.
    Got it. Derrieres indeed.

Well yes kinda. I know you can only beat what's in front of you but well he's not beat them either.
    It's not so much about winning, I just hate losing.
  • ddraver
    ddraver Posts: 26,660
    555-PIC536041247.jpg

I know he's young but giving him a spongebob squarepants doll was a bit harsh...
    We're in danger of confusing passion with incompetence
    - @ddraver
  • Mad_Malx
    Mad_Malx Posts: 5,160
    ddraver wrote:
    555-PIC536041247.jpg

I know he's young but giving him a spongebob squarepants doll was a bit harsh...

:D:lol:
  • le_patron
    le_patron Posts: 494
    Have another :D for that spongebob comment !
  • rick_chasey
    rick_chasey Posts: 75,661
    “When I turned professional I only weighed 60 kilos and I’ve had to put some weight on because you can’t last on the flat as a pro when you’re at that kind of weight,” Formolo said.

Tell me about it.
  • frenchfighter
    Milton50 wrote:

No chance.

Last year's 40km TT:

Stage 12 Results
    COL 1 URAN URAN, Rigoberto (OMEGA PHARMA - QUICK-STEP) 57:34
    ITA 2 ULISSI, Diego (LAMPRE - MERIDA) + 1:17
    AUS 3 EVANS, Cadel (BMC RACING) + 1:34
    POL 4 MAJKA, Rafal (TINKOFF-SAXO) + 1:39
    ITA 5 BRAMBILLA, Gianluca (OMEGA PHARMA - QUICK-STEP) + 1:53
    NED 6 POELS, Wouter (OMEGA PHARMA - QUICK-STEP) + 2:00
    NED 7 KELDERMAN, Wilco (BELKIN) + 2:03
    BEL 8 DE GENDT, Thomas (OMEGA PHARMA - QUICK-STEP) + 2:07
    ITA 9 POZZOVIVO, Domenico (AG2R LA MONDIALE) + 2:09
    GER 10 GRETSCH, Patrick (AG2R LA MONDIALE) + 2:12
    ITA 11 CATALDO, Dario (SKY) + 2:23
    ESP 12 HERRADA LOPEZ, José (MOVISTAR) + 2:25
    AUS 13 ROGERS, Michael (TINKOFF-SAXO) + 2:41
    COL 14 QUINTANA ROJAS, Nairo Alexander (MOVISTAR)
    BLR 15 SIUTSOU, Kanstantsin (SKY) + 2:46
    ITA 16 ARU, Fabio (ASTANA) + 2:55
    ITA 17 CUNEGO, Damiano (LAMPRE - MERIDA) + 3:04
    ITA 18 RABOTTINI, Matteo (NERI SOTTOLI) + 3:09
    ITA 19 PIRAZZI, Stefano (BARDIANI CSF) + 3:20
    CAN 20 HESJEDAL, Ryder (GARMIN SHARP) + 3:22

You seriously want to bet a 58kg rider is going to match TT champ Uran over 60km?

And if he does, then there is something seriously wrong. Seriously.
    Contador is the Greatest
  • confused@BR
    confused@BR Posts: 295
    Just watched the last 11K on video with AMBIENT SOUND, what a treat. If only every sporting event gave that option. I could hear the sounds of spectators, helicopters, even tyres. No babble from people paid by the word.

Bliss
    'fool'
  • RichN95.
    RichN95. Posts: 27,241
    Milton50 wrote:

No chance.

<Result snipped>

You seriously want to bet a 58kg rider is going to match TT champ Uran over 60km?

Career CQ Ranking points from ITT

Rigoberto Uran: 226
    Richie Porte: 795

It wouldn't be wrong at all.
    Twitter: @RichN95
  • Pross
    Pross Posts: 43,162
    Yet again a short, lumpy stage has been highly entertaining and made some early splits among the GC contenders. Fair play to Astana for making a race of it. Just a great stage all round; thoroughly deserved stage winner, really gritty ride from Clarke to get into the pink jersey and contenders having a rough day. Nice to see Siutsou back riding like he did before joining Sky too. What's the betting on Chaves being able to hold onto the main contenders tomorrow and be the 4th OGE rider to wear pink in the first week?
  • Macaloon
    Macaloon Posts: 5,545
    Milton50 wrote:
    Macaloon wrote:
    If Contador rides conservatively tomorrow and avoids making a statement I'd say he's in trouble

?

You mean in trouble from a team point of view or from a personal form point of view?

I think his team were riding to deter attacks, until they fell apart. Now he's been shown to be vulnerable. If he can, he'll try to assert authority tomorrow.
    ...a rare 100% loyal Pro Race poster. A poster boy for the community.
  • milton50
    Milton50 wrote:

No chance.

I saw his TT last year and I was one of the people who predicted he'd win it. It was an awesome performance.

But we'll have a verbal bet that Uran doesn't put 2 minutes into Porte. I think 1 minute is certainly possible, but not 2.
  • milton50
    Macaloon wrote:
    Milton50 wrote:
    Macaloon wrote:

?

I think his team were riding to deter attacks, until they fell apart. Now he's been shown to be vulnerable. If he can, he'll try to assert authority tomorrow.

I'm not sure what exactly Tinkoff were doing yesterday but I don't think they decided to protect Contador by riding hard and then isolating him.

It may be that Contador is below his best but I don't think you can learn anything from yesterday about his personal form. He's never been at his best on the fast, punchy climbs. It's genuine mountain climbs where he excels.
  • inseine
    inseine Posts: 5,788
    adr82 wrote:

I do like Viscontis polite 'well done mate............you do realise there's someone up the road?' :D
  • frenchfighter
    RichN95 wrote:

This is completely irrelevant when comparing two people's TT ability especially one who has improved greatly in the last two years and one who has lost at least 5kg of weight.

Get your excuses in early I suppose.
    Contador is the Greatest
  • Macaloon
    Macaloon Posts: 5,545
    RichN95 wrote:

:roll:

tumblr_no9alqGGM11ropreyo1_1280.jpg
    ...a rare 100% loyal Pro Race poster. A poster boy for the community.
  • DeVlaeminck
    DeVlaeminck Posts: 9,031
    FJS wrote:
    LeePaton wrote:

True, but I can see LeePaton's point, I wouldn't put money on Uran ever winning a GT, not impossible but I think he'd need several others to suffer bad luck for it to happen.
    [Castle Donington Ladies FC - going up in '22]
  • adr82
    adr82 Posts: 4,002
    FJS wrote:
    LeePaton wrote:

True, but I can see LeePaton's point, I wouldn't put money on Uran ever winning a GT, not impossible but I think he'd need several others to suffer bad luck for it to happen.
    I agree, he is clearly good enough in TTs to be a contender for the GC, but he seems to struggle to stay with the very best climbers in the mountains. So he has to rely on taking time in the TTs and just hanging on when it comes to an MTF, and that usually won't work well enough to land him 1st place as long as there's a Nibali or Quintana or Contador racing against him. If someone crashed out or something I could see him winning from the reduced field but probably not otherwise.
  • frenchfighter
    Photos by Yuzuru Sunada
    FORMOLO-Davide124pp.jpg
    FORMOLO-Davide093p.jpg
    Contador is the Greatest
  • frenchfighter
    Nice video on Formolo. Sounds like a good guy. He was told he was racing the Giro 2 weeks before and look how he performed. Clearly very talented.

http://www.cyclingnews.com/news/incycle ... er-profile
    Contador is the Greatest