Paris Roubaix ***Spoilers***

Comments

• ddraver
    ddraver Posts: 26,660
    ddraver wrote:
    Crampeur wrote:
    CCa41vJW4AAAZa7.jpg:large

According to the Lotto-Jumbo DS, Sep got given a neutral service wheel from 1987

:lol::lol::lol:

I did assume that was a joke by someone, apparently it actually is real!

Ugo will be thrilled!!
    We're in danger of confusing passion with incompetence
    - @ddraver
  • hommelbier
    hommelbier Posts: 1,555
    Mad_Malx wrote:
    hommelbier wrote:

That is more scary.

Last one across, just before the train, was riding for the GB team!
  • tailwindhome
    tailwindhome Posts: 19,310
    “New York has the haircuts, London has the trousers, but Belfast has the reason!
  • frenchfighter
    frenchfighter Posts: 30,642
    "The peloton arrived at 50kph, the barriers went down and I didn't hear any bells. You can't see red lights at such a moment," Leukemans told Sporza. "Actually, I did something wrong, but at the moment I crossed, it was certainly not life-threatening. It is slightly different for riders who were in the peloton and rode around when the barriers were all the way down. On the images I saw a rider slalom between the barriers. Of course that's playing with fire. "

Leukemans agreed with the decision of the race jury not to penalize the riders who crossed. "It is very difficult to determine who exactly kept riding. You must also put yourselves in our place. We are fully concentrated on the race. In addition, we know that there are no clear rules or procedures in such a situation. "

"You don't know what the jury will decide, if you stop you let that group go. Secondly, if you slam on the brakes, a bunch of riders might crash behind you and some of them will be on the tracks. I don't know whats safest."
    Contador is the Greatest
  • salsiccia1
    salsiccia1 Posts: 3,725
    It's only a bit of sport, Mun. Relax and enjoy the racing.
  • Salsiccia1 wrote:

Gotta love the stationberg!
    "In many ways, my story was that of a raging, Christ-like figure who hauled himself off the cross, looked up at the Romans with blood in his eyes and said 'My turn, sock cookers'"

@gietvangent
  • FJS
    FJS Posts: 4,820
    Salsiccia1 wrote:

Wrong video. Stationsberg is the one of the u23 race. But yeah, the stationsberg is crazy. Never realised there was a descent on cobbles in de ronde before doing the sportive
  • rick_chasey
    rick_chasey Posts: 75,661
    Vid doesn't work, but stationberg is good fun.
  • FJS wrote:
    Salsiccia1 wrote:

Wrong video. Stationsberg is the one of the u23 race. But yeah, the stationsberg is crazy. Never realised there was a descent on cobbles in de ronde before doing the sportive

There's a couple... The first 300m of Haghoek is pretty swift downhill and shortly before you get to the stationberg, mariaborestraat drops down from the main road before you hit Steenbeekdries. Not a lot more about though unless you ride things the "wrong" way
    "In many ways, my story was that of a raging, Christ-like figure who hauled himself off the cross, looked up at the Romans with blood in his eyes and said 'My turn, sock cookers'"

@gietvangent
  • ellerslierd
    ellerslierd Posts: 266
    adr82 wrote:
    look at the stretch between sectors 20 and 16 for example.

Such as just before Arenberg
  • No_Ta_Doctor
    No_Ta_Doctor Posts: 14,535
    ddraver wrote:
    ddraver wrote:
    Crampeur wrote:

According to the Lotto-Jumbo DS, Sep got given a neutral service wheel from 1987

Ugo will be thrilled!!

Ohhhhhhh.... takes me back to my MA40s. My dad ripped the bike rack off the top of the car by driving them into a low underpass at Euston, not a dent on them.
    Warning No formatter is installed for the format
  • milton50
    milton50 Posts: 3,856
    RichN95 wrote:
    Milton50 wrote:
    I'm still not sure why they can't just modify the train timetable slightly on one day a year. Am I being naive?
    But you can't guarantee what time the race will arrive.

As it is they try to time the race with the train timetables in mind. They even started ten minutes late this year to compensate for the tailwind.

I'm not talking about trying to time it to within 10 minutes, I'm talking about just diverting trains around the area for around 4 or 5 hours. It surely wouldn't cause that much disruption. It's one day a year.
  • The_Boy
    The_Boy Posts: 3,099
    Milton50 wrote:
    RichN95 wrote:
    Milton50 wrote:
    I'm still not sure why they can't just modify the train timetable slightly on one day a year. Am I being naive?
    But you can't guarantee what time the race will arrive.

As it is they try to time the race with the train timetables in mind. They even started ten minutes late this year to compensate for the tailwind.

I'm not talking about trying to time it to within 10 minutes, I'm talking about just diverting trains around the area for around 4 or 5 hours. It surely wouldn't cause that much disruption. It's one day a year.

It would cause massive disruption. Especially when compared to the alternative, which is a bunch of cyclists simply not breaking the law and race organised taking the simple step of restarting the race with the time gaps as they were.

Seriously.

Footage: to be dealt with with the busies as they see fit.
    Rules: to be clarified, and amendments made if needed re: stopping races and setting riders off with the same gaps as before.
    Everyone's knickers: to be untwisted.
    Team My Man 2018: David gaudu, Pierre Latour, Romain Bardet, Thibaut pinot, Alexandre Geniez, Florian Senechal, Warren Barguil, Benoit Cosnefroy
  • Good work, The Boy.

For me, its pretty simple. If you don't mind getting hit by a train, off you go! If you think that your life is worth more than your job then stop!

@gietvangent
  • mididoctors
    mididoctors Posts: 18,791
    Good work, The Boy.

For me, its pretty simple. If you don't mind getting hit by a train, off you go! If you think that your life is worth more than your job then stop!

I know your half kiddin' but you cant leave it to personnel choice..its not a total hand washing exercise in extreme liberty. There is assumed duty of care here....plus if they did that the calls to shut down the race would mount REAL quick. is the team car allowed to the same and derail the train?.... the arbitrary starting point is no one gets past the barriers if they come down

thats the default... not least because it effects people using the national infrastructure and possibly endangers them...they didn't choose to take part in the race
    "If I was a 38 year old man, I definitely wouldn't be riding a bright yellow bike with Hello Kitty disc wheels, put it that way. What we're witnessing here is the world's most high profile mid-life crisis" Afx237vi Mon Jul 20, 2009 2:43 pm
  • I think I argued on inner ring earlier that if theres a bell ringing and a red light flashing then you have to stop. Same as on an open road. The organisers DQ'd 3rd 4th and 5th for the same thing a few years ago, so it's not like riders aren't aware.

@gietvangent
  • Crampeur
    Crampeur Posts: 1,065
    ddraver wrote:
    ddraver wrote:
    Crampeur wrote:

Ugo will be thrilled!!

Ohhhhhhh.... takes me back to my MA40s. My dad ripped the bike rack off the top of the car by driving them into a low underpass at Euston, not a dent on them.

Just noticed, the wheel is on the wrong way round too. Either that or the QR not installed correctly.

The tyre pattern doesn't look exactly new either.
  • Mad_Malx
    Mad_Malx Posts: 5,160
    Crampeur wrote:

Just noticed, the wheel is on the wrong way round too. Either that or the QR not installed correctly.

That's just an aesthetic thing though?
    (Although maybe the most important to some)
  • mididoctors
    mididoctors Posts: 18,791
    Mad_Malx wrote:
    Crampeur wrote:

That's just an aesthetic thing though?
    (Although maybe the most important to some)

I suspect he was in a bit of a hurry ;)
    "If I was a 38 year old man, I definitely wouldn't be riding a bright yellow bike with Hello Kitty disc wheels, put it that way. What we're witnessing here is the world's most high profile mid-life crisis" Afx237vi Mon Jul 20, 2009 2:43 pm
  • thomthom
    thomthom Posts: 3,574
    edited April 2015
    Just got home to watch the race.. And what happens.. My man Lars manages to crash is the exact same bloody corner as last year's Tour. Jesus..

P-R 2015
    https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ISncdilII7A

Tour 2014
    FlickeringCandidIrishwolfhound.gif
  • rick_chasey
    Bahahahahahahahahahaha
  • Oh well, third time lucky. Roll on 2016.
  • No_Ta_Doctor
    ThomThom wrote:
    Just got home to watch the race.. And what happens.. My man Lars manages to crash is the exact same bloody corner as last year's Tour. Jesus..

P-R 2015
    https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ISncdilII7A

Tour 2014
    FlickeringCandidIrishwolfhound.gif

I jumped off the sofa when he attacked, must have been all of 15 seconds before he hit the deck.

:evil:
  • thomthom
    thomthom Posts: 3,574
    It's definitely not the expected standard we see here from the, let's be honest, peloton's most professional, gifted, hard working and all-around-good-guy.
  • No_Ta_Doctor
    Oh well, third time lucky. Roll on 2016.

Is that section in this years Tour?

Could maybe make it round that corner already this summer...
  • No_Ta_Doctor
    ThomThom wrote:
    It's definitely not the expected standard we see here from the, let's be honest, peloton's most professional, gifted, hard working and all-around-good-guy.

I expect he did it on purpose so as not to steal Wiggins' fairly tale ending possibility.
  • rick_chasey
    That's a quality post ThomThom.
  • Crampeur wrote:

At least one rider rode part of the race with a proper wheel on his bike. :D

DD.
  • Crampeur
    Crampeur Posts: 1,065
    Agreed, I know times move on but I miss the days of Ambrosio Nemesis and Mavic MA40s. Astana were still using some last year, and they had some Nemesis rims as spares this year. Dunno why, but they just look better.

Re-badged as Corimas this year:
    1428848082679-1c0gikv8kj3xw-700-80.jpg