Paris Roubaix ***Spoilers***

Comments

• inseine
    inseine Posts: 5,788
    Milton50 wrote:
    Luke Rowe only 28 seconds off the winner of Paris Roubaix. He looked completely at home on the cobbles.
    SKY now have three serious cobbley classic guys. One day they'll crack a big one.
  • RichN95 wrote:
    iainf72 wrote:
    5/10
    Oh come on Iain. You gave RVV 5/10. This was much better. Lots of confusion, lots of intrigue, lots of comings and goings..

Whats the cycling equivilent of a misanthrope?
    "In many ways, my story was that of a raging, Christ-like figure who hauled himself off the cross, looked up at the Romans with blood in his eyes and said 'My turn, sock cookers'"

@gietvangent
  • hammerite wrote:
    Gazzetta67 wrote:
    Kelly being gracious to degenkolb.......can you imagine motor mouth cavendish saying the same

Yes.

Putting words in the mouth of a bloke not even riding the race. All class.

Gazzetta, try being positive. You'll find life is much nicer.
    "In many ways, my story was that of a raging, Christ-like figure who hauled himself off the cross, looked up at the Romans with blood in his eyes and said 'My turn, sock cookers'"

@gietvangent
  • above_the_cows
    above_the_cows Posts: 11,406
    edited April 2015
    r0bh wrote:
    Great win by Degenkolb, great race.

The sniping at Wiggins says much more about the people doing it than it does him

It's rather unpleasant. He said he wanted to try and win and he tried. Respecting that doesn't make you a fanperson of whatever, it just means you can respect someone's efforts to try and achieve something even amidst all the sh**t that they know will come their way from 'internet people'. Good on Wiggins and every blinking person out there today.
    Correlation is not causation.
  • The_Boy
    The_Boy Posts: 3,099
    RichN95 wrote:
    iainf72 wrote:
    5/10
    Oh come on Iain. You gave RVV 5/10. This was much better. Lots of confusion, lots of intrigue, lots of comings and goings..

Velothrope?
    Team My Man 2018: David gaudu, Pierre Latour, Romain Bardet, Thibaut pinot, Alexandre Geniez, Florian Senechal, Warren Barguil, Benoit Cosnefroy
  • emadden
    emadden Posts: 2,431
    Degenkolb has those new fugly oakleys...
    www.dotcycling.com
  • RichN95.
    RichN95. Posts: 27,241
    Milton50 wrote:
    Luke Rowe only 28 seconds off the winner of Paris Roubaix. He looked completely at home on the cobbles.
    He needs to grow his moustache again. They obviously work.
    Twitter: @RichN95
  • above_the_cows
    RichN95 wrote:
    r0bh wrote:

The sniping at Wiggins says much more about the people doing it than it does him
    I see idiots calling him the 'worst Tour winner', a phrase which belongs alongside 'thickest Nobel Prize winner' and 'poorest Oligarch'

I'd say these sorts of people were jealous or masking something else...
  • Macaloon
    Macaloon Posts: 5,545
    Recovery tights podium disaster for Big John Degenkolb
    ...a rare 100% loyal Pro Race poster. A poster boy for the community.
  • FJS
    FJS Posts: 4,820
    Gazzetta67 wrote:
    Kelly being gracious to degenkolb.......can you imagine motor mouth cavendish saying the same
    Of course he is. They're now the only two riders to have ever won San Remo and Paris-Roubaix in one year
  • above_the_cows
    The_Boy wrote:
    RichN95 wrote:
    iainf72 wrote:
    5/10

Velothrope?

Ha ha good one.
  • RichN95.
    RichN95 wrote:
    r0bh wrote:

I see idiots calling him the 'worst Tour winner', a phrase which belongs alongside 'thickest Nobel Prize winner' and 'poorest Oligarch'

While Wiggins may be the worst Tour winner, they are definitely the best third placed cat 3 rider in their local 10.
  • milton50
    milton50 Posts: 3,856
    iainf72 wrote:
    5/10

Bit harsh I think.
  • iainf72
    iainf72 Posts: 15,784
    RichN95 wrote:
    iainf72 wrote:
    5/10

It's a 5/10 for a P-R.

If I was putting it against Flanders I'd give it a 6, maybe.

What I didn't like about it is there seemed to be too much hesitation. Maybe a function of the tailwind.

I'm pleased JD won - He's a great bike rider.
    Fckin' Quintana … that creep can roll, man.
  • above_the_cows
    RichN95 wrote:
    RichN95 wrote:
    r0bh wrote:

While Wiggins may be the worst Tour winner, they are definitely the best third placed cat 3 rider in their local 10.

Surely worst Tour winner belongs to Andy Schleck? At least Wiggins actually won his. And I actually don't even mean this about Andy Schleck. Anyone who wins the Tour, wins the Tour, however they do it. Fair play, you win the race your dealt. Making quantitative value judgements on something so variable is dumb.
  • blazing_saddles
    blazing_saddles Posts: 22,706
    iainf72 wrote:
    5/10

Eh?
    You gave last week's rubbish the same score.
    This was much more entertaining in it's unpredictable nature.
    "Science is a tool for cheaters". An anonymous French PE teacher.
  • mroli
    mroli Posts: 3,622
    Much like Kristoff last week, props to Degenkolb winning a sprint the hard way....
  • emadden
    Sadhbh O'Shea ‏@SadhbhOS 13s14 seconds ago

Matti Breschel finished today but looked badly battered. Looks like he came down hard on his back. #ParisRoubaix

looked like a lot of blood on his back. Hope he will be ok
    www.dotcycling.com
  • alihisgreat
    alihisgreat Posts: 3,872
    Does anyone else think Quickstep are killing these races by having so many riders making the selection?
  • above_the_cows
    Och I enjoyed that so I did.

Right I've got a suitcase to pack and a plane to catch.

I'm glad I'm not normally a US based cycling fan. Getting up at 4 in the morning to watch a race even with the aid of jet-lag is hard work. If nothing else you have to wait a really long time before you can start drinking.
  • emadden
    Surely worst Tour winner belongs to Andy Schleck? At least Wiggins actually won his. And I actually don't even mean this about Andy Schleck. Anyone who wins the Tour, wins the Tour, however they do it. Fair play, you win the race your dealt. Making quantitative value judgements on something so variable is dumb.

agree with this... but I think the worst may have been Lance ;-)
    www.dotcycling.com
  • milton50
    No. If you ride the cobbled classics for Quick Step you're a god in my opinion.
  • RichN95.
    Milton50 wrote:
    But probably not winning.

Eight Belgian* 'classics' - Cavendish their only winner

(*Includes Paris-Roubaix which is only pseudo Belgian).
  • r0bh wrote:

It's rather unpleasant. He said he wanted to try and win and he tried. Respecting that doesn't make you a fanperson of whatever, it just means you can respect someone's efforts to try and achieve something even amidst all the sh**t that they know will come their way from 'internet people'. Good on Wiggins and every blinking person out there today.
    “I say they’re just fupping winkers. I cannot be doing with people like that.

It justifies their own bone-idleness because they can’t ever imagine applying themselves to do anything in their lives.

It’s easy for them to sit under a pseudonym on Twitter and write that sort of shot, rather than get off their bums in their own lives and apply themselves and work hard at something and achieve something. And that’s ultimately it. Genitals.”

@gietvangent
  • The_Boy
    The_Boy Posts: 3,099
    emadden wrote:

We were talking about riders who won the Tour...
    Team My Man 2018: David gaudu, Pierre Latour, Romain Bardet, Thibaut pinot, Alexandre Geniez, Florian Senechal, Warren Barguil, Benoit Cosnefroy
  • emadden
    The_Boy wrote:
    emadden wrote:

We were talking about riders who won the Tour...

Ok, then Riis.
    www.dotcycling.com
  • milton50
    RichN95 wrote:
    Milton50 wrote:
    But probably not winning.

Eight Belgian* 'classics' - Cavendish their only winner

(*Includes Paris-Roubaix which is only pseudo Belgian).

'Tis true. They were in position to finish quite a few of them off but didn't manage to do it.
  • hommelbier
    hommelbier Posts: 1,555
    curium wrote:
    Fortunate that the TGV was going slow - full pelt and this race would have made the british news tonight!

Like here

http://www.theguardian.com/sport/2015/apr/12/paris-roubaix-cyclists-train-level-crossing

Having worked on the railways for several years I find this inexcusable. It's not just your own life at risk but the those on the train also - be interesting to hear the train driver's opinion. Rant over.
  • RichN95.
    Degenkolb is the first German winner since the very first edition in 1896. I expect he had a moustache too.
  • iainf72
    iainf72 Posts: 15,784
    RichN95 wrote:
    Degenkolb is the first German winner since the very first edition in 1896. I expect he had a moustache too.

He did indeed

CCZh2LsVIAArU65.jpg:large
    Fckin' Quintana … that creep can roll, man.