Paris Roubaix ***Spoilers***

Comments

• sherer
    sherer Posts: 2,460
    enjoyed the race but not a classic edition by any means. Kept waiting for Wiggo to actually do something then when he did no one worked with him. After that he seemed to fade and just rode on to the finish. Wonder what Rowe could have done if he was protected.
  • rick_chasey
    rick_chasey Posts: 75,661
    davidof wrote:
    The SNCF has lodged an official complaint against the crossing jumping cyclists.

Who are SNCF ?
  • ddraver
    ddraver Posts: 26,660
    French NS ;)
    We're in danger of confusing passion with incompetence
    - @ddraver
  • blazing_saddles
    blazing_saddles Posts: 22,706
    davidof wrote:
    The SNCF has lodged an official complaint against the crossing jumping cyclists.

Here you go:
    http://www.bbc.co.uk/sport/0/cycling/32284180
    "Science is a tool for cheaters". An anonymous French PE teacher.
  • adr82
    adr82 Posts: 4,002
    edited April 2015
    davidof wrote:

Here you go:
    http://www.bbc.co.uk/sport/0/cycling/32284180
    "Race organisers have said the seven riders could not stop in time." - are they seriously trying to pick out just 7 riders as being at fault?

I like how they've edited that video to remove the delay between the last riders getting across and the train arriving...
  • sherer
    davidof wrote:
    haven't they got anything better to do.

The BBC article mentions 8 rides, i'm sure it was a lot more than that
  • ddraver
    sherer wrote:
    davidof wrote:
    haven't they got anything better to do.

The BBC article mentions 8 rides, i'm sure it was a lot more than that

In fairness to SNCF it is a great example for jumping the lights at a train crossing, which is not something to be encouraged. it was one of those situations where DQing the riders involved would have resulted in removing the vast majority of the favourites and would ve resulted in the same people criticising the Comms now criticising them for killing the race. Slapping them all with a criminal - but not very punative - punishment could actually be quite a good solution.
    - @ddraver
  • frenchfighter
    frenchfighter Posts: 30,642
    Video. There were tons of riders:
    https://youtu.be/nA-84SIFnSo
    Contador is the Greatest
  • rick_chasey
    ddraver wrote:
    French NS ;)

NS? STOP USING ACRONYMS I DON'T KNOW.

In other, more interesting news, Matti Breschel's tyre pressure.

Chasey wins another club run debate *smug face*

weirdroubaix07_670.jpg

"IAM Cycling's Matthias Brandle said he put 5bar/72psi in his 30mm tubeless Schwalbes"

http://www.cyclingnews.com/news/tech-ga ... is-roubaix
  • graeme_s-2
    graeme_s-2 Posts: 3,382
    edited April 2015
    I can't remember where I read it now, but apparently the race crosses that train line at 5 crossings. The race organisers tried to schedule the race around the train timetable to avoid any delays or incidents, but the tail wind scuppered them. They even delayed the start by 10 minutes to take the tail wind into account but it obviously wasn't quite enough.

The idea of stationing temporary barriers or cars prior to the crossing becomes a bit more complicated when it's 5 crossings rather than 1.

The other issue would be where the peloton make it through but the team cars and any riders who were back amongst them are held up. I can't imagine them neutralising the race for that, but it would be a nightmare for those riders to get back on (although the commissaires would probably look the other way while they're handed some very sticky bottles I suppose).
  • Coriander
    Coriander Posts: 1,326
    ddraver wrote:
    French NS ;)

SNCF is the French national rail system. SNCF = Société nationale des chemins de fer
  • Pokerface
    Pokerface Posts: 7,960
    They should just nullify the whole race and run it again next weekend.
  • sheffsimon
    sheffsimon Posts: 1,282
    Graeme_S wrote:
    I can't remember where I read it now, but apparently the race crosses that train line at 5 crossings. The race organisers tried to schedule the race around the train timetable to avoid any delays or incidents, but the tail wind scuppered them. They even delayed the start by 10 minutes to take the tale wind into account but it obviously wasn't quite enough.

The idea of stationing temporary barriers or cars prior to the crossing becomes a bit more complicated when it's 5 crossings rather than 1.

The other issue would be where the peloton make it through but the team cars and any riders who were back amongst them are held up. I can't imagine them neutralising the race for that, but it would be a nightmare for those riders to get back on (although the commissaires would probably look the other way while they're handed some very sticky bottles I suppose).

Probably is a bit complicated, but is far better than the alternative of a possible near-miss/bad publicity or worse....
  • ddraver
    Coriander wrote:
    ddraver wrote:
    French NS ;)

SNCF is the French national rail system. SNCF = Société nationale des chemins de fer

Yes, NS is the Dutch Rail - I assumed you'd know that soz

What were you debating on the club run?
    - @ddraver
  • rick_chasey
    Tyre pressures.

Guy was insisting that me riding 6 bar was way too low and riding anything under 7 was ludicrous and he rides 8+
  • LeePaton
    LeePaton Posts: 353
    That was fun.

Degenkolb really really earned it. Can see him being a long time fixture here, really hard to drop over the cobbles.
    It's not so much about winning, I just hate losing.
  • ddraver
    despite being metric everything else, Bars still mean noting to me...

Did he mean for PR? I can see how you'd need 110 psi (8bar) in clinchers to stop pinch flats but Tubeless or Tubular wouldnt matter so much. I ran 5 bar for RvV last week and you know I'm no lightweight!
    - @ddraver
  • FJS
    FJS Posts: 4,820
    Tyre pressures.

Guy was insisting that me riding 6 bar was way too low and riding anything under 7 was ludicrous and he rides 8+
    Many cobbles in Fulham?
  • hommelbier
    hommelbier Posts: 1,555
    «On n’a pas de chance. En semaine, on a l’impression que les trains sont toujours en retard mais, là, ils sont à l’heure » Race director Thierry Gouvenou.

"We were unlucky. During the week we noticed that the trains were always running late, but on the day they were on time"

So I guess it was the trains fault. :shock:

Incidentally this was Gouvenou's first time as race director - one he won't forget in a hurry.
  • mididoctors
    mididoctors Posts: 18,791
    Pokerface wrote:
    They should just nullify the whole race and run it again next weekend.

LOL
    "If I was a 38 year old man, I definitely wouldn't be riding a bright yellow bike with Hello Kitty disc wheels, put it that way. What we're witnessing here is the world's most high profile mid-life crisis" Afx237vi Mon Jul 20, 2009 2:43 pm
  • rick_chasey
    FJS wrote:
    Tyre pressures.

Many cobbles in Fulham?

Plenty of potholes in Surrey, but I'm 55kg.
  • EKIMIKE
    EKIMIKE Posts: 2,232
    Quality stuff from Degenkolb. One of the few to actually lay it on the line and commit 100% yesterday.

I didn't think it was a particularly interesting race until the GvA/Lampaert move went. Glad Wiggins showed something but those kinds of moves are a real lottery. Chapeau to him for trying.
  • At some point the EuroSport commentator said you can’t stop French railways for a day to let the race take place.
    Ha! I was left stranded in France and had to make alternative travel arrangements last June when a 36 hour train strike http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/world-europe-27834569 lasted for over a week.
  • The thing with the level crossing that caught everyone out was that it came down as the peloton were going across.

The first riders went through when the barriers were up, but by the time the rest of the riders arrived the barriers were either partially down or fully down.

It's not the same as last year when Boucher got to an already closed barrier and had to stop. As Rich mentioned yesterday, riders in the heat of the moment aren't going to consciously think to stop, and the comms are right to say some of them couldn't stop safely without causing a crash.

Some of them (BMC rider included) definitely could though
  • sherer
    At some point the EuroSport commentator said you can’t stop French railways for a day to let the race take place.
    Ha! I was left stranded in France and had to make alternative travel arrangements last June when a 36 hour train strike http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/world-europe-27834569 lasted for over a week.
    strikes are different though and are a national pastime in France :D
  • mididoctors
    mididoctors Posts: 18,791
    it did catch a big bunch of riders as they crossed...kinda freaky..... unlucky but needs looking into for future. can you imagine if someone was hit!....ouuufffff
    "If I was a 38 year old man, I definitely wouldn't be riding a bright yellow bike with Hello Kitty disc wheels, put it that way. What we're witnessing here is the world's most high profile mid-life crisis" Afx237vi Mon Jul 20, 2009 2:43 pm
  • NervexProf
    NervexProf Posts: 4,202
    Post race interview with Brad Wiggins.

http://www1.skysports.com/watch/video/s ... sky-career
    Common sense in an uncommon degree is what the world calls wisdom
  • ddraver
    Freaky maybe, but I struggle to link the hysteria in internet comments about riders being in mortal danger with what I see on the video.

Someone suggested just pausing the race if it happens which sounds fine to me - the point is that the riders need to know it will happen. if you watch the video there are no EQS riders there, whch (probably) means Terpstra got through, which means, Wiggo has to go through, which means Kristoff does, then Debusschere, then Demare etc. etc. If they knew for sure that everyone would be halted, 200m up the road for 1 min (which is all it was) then they'd have stopped
    - @ddraver
  • DeVlaeminck
    DeVlaeminck Posts: 9,031
    ddraver wrote:
    despite being metric everything else, Bars still mean noting to me...

Did he mean for PR? I can see how you'd need 110 psi (8bar) in clinchers to stop pinch flats but Tubeless or Tubular wouldnt matter so much. I ran 5 bar for RvV last week and you know I'm no lightweight!

It does depend on the width/volume of the tyre too of course - 6 bar is probably as low as you'd go in a 23mm clincher with 7 or 8 or even more being more usual - when I started out a guy I used to train with said he always stuck 130psi in front and back and he rode the Seoul Olympics for GB - in the tyres they were running at Paris Roubaix 6 bar would actually be a lot.
    [Castle Donington Ladies FC - going up in '22]
  • sherer
    ddraver wrote:
    Freaky maybe, but I struggle to link the hysteria in internet comments about riders being in mortal danger with what I see on the video.

Someone suggested just pausing the race if it happens which sounds fine to me - the point is that the riders need to know it will happen. if you watch the video there are no EQS riders there, whch (probably) means Terpstra got through, which means, Wiggo has to go through, which means Kristoff does, then Debusschere, then Demare etc. etc. If they knew for sure that everyone would be halted, 200m up the road for 1 min (which is all it was) then they'd have stopped

isn't that already in the rules. I've seen it before with breakaways that were 5 mins in front stopping as the riders behind were held up and then told when to go.

Maybe they need to remind everyone of this before races that have a crossing in them