Mechanical doping. Wow.

Comments

• mfin
    mfin Posts: 6,729
    What a gem of a thread, showing that posts displaying a lack of common sense can be pure entertainment.
  • Wouldn't one of these mythical beasts cost the same as the annual salary of a super domestique?
    "In many ways, my story was that of a raging, Christ-like figure who hauled himself off the cross, looked up at the Romans with blood in his eyes and said 'My turn, sock cookers'"

@gietvangent
  • RichN95.
    RichN95. Posts: 27,241
    Wouldn't one of these mythical beasts cost the same as the annual salary of a super domestique?
    $150,000 apiece apparently. But given this has been developed by a no-mark Hungarian engineer with no patent protection, I reckon Etixx and Sky can get McLaren and Jaguar to knock it out at a fraction of the price.

It's just sad that there's no industrial application for this technology. Then you'd get the price right down. Unfortunately those hundreds of millions of cyclists in China, for example, will just have to wait until someone thinks there might be a market.
    Twitter: @RichN95
  • Lanterne_Rogue
    Lanterne_Rogue Posts: 4,325
    Joelsim wrote:
    Realistically though how difficult would it be to find one.

To find a totally undetectable, unfindable, miracle machine? They'll be looking a while...

As for Frenchie mentioning Contador's custom wheels a long while ago, the interesting point that I take from that isn't the Machiavellian level of evil from Armstrong, so much as the amount of paranoia that festers at the top levels of professional sport (often with good reason). The sort of festering paranoia that insists that just because a totally invisible, undetectable miracle machine can't possibly exist, it doesn't mean your rivals haven't got one...
  • tommasi
    tommasi Posts: 40
    Turfle wrote:
    If it can't be seen in the bike, the motor must be inside the human. Time to start x-raying cyclists.

Usain Bolt has a few up his arse
  • Bo Duke
    Bo Duke Posts: 1,058
    tommasi wrote:
    Turfle wrote:
    If it can't be seen in the bike, the motor must be inside the human. Time to start x-raying cyclists.

Usain Bolt has a few up his ars*
    That must itch whilst he's running. :shock:
    'Performance analysis and Froome not being clean was a media driven story. I haven’t heard one guy in the peloton say a negative thing about Froome, and I haven’t heard a single person in the peloton suggest Froome isn’t clean.' TSP
  • Ashbeck
    Ashbeck Posts: 235
    I go on holiday for a week and you lot have all been at the blue Smarties..... :D

Electronic doping? Not a chance. Have any of you lot seen an electrical bike? The bleedin motors stand out a mile, let alone the battery and gearing. For a bike to get any kind of powered mechanical assistance, of any real benefit to get someone up a Pyrenees mountain or the flats, the motor would stand out a mile! The battery alone would need to be a shoebox to carry enough power for a 5hr stage!

This guy is just a chancer, writes an article, gets his mate to knock up a Photoshop image of a crank overlayed with the electronic gubbins of an old Amstrad computer and before you know it the whole peloton is mechanical doping.

Give me a break people.. :roll:
  • smithy21
    smithy21 Posts: 2,204
    ^ I don't think anyone is buying this. Except maybe Joel but even then I think he is just keeping it going to see how many pages this can run for.
  • tailwindhome
    tailwindhome Posts: 19,310
    If the motor/battery was in the frame - would it not be easily detected with a magnet?
    “New York has the haircuts, London has the trousers, but Belfast has the reason!
  • No_Ta_Doctor
    No_Ta_Doctor Posts: 14,535
    smithy21 wrote:
    ^ I don't think anyone is buying this. Except maybe Joel but even then I think he is just keeping it going to see how many pages this can run for.

I'm buying it. The bike, that is. When the money comes through to my account from the nice man in Nigeria who just needed to transfer some legitimate funds to keep them safe.
    Warning No formatter is installed for the format
  • Macaloon
    Macaloon Posts: 5,545
    This is a majestic wind-up. It's much more successful than that time some guy floated a tale about Sky's new CH4 metabolic pathway bypass to explain their 'dominance'. This joker needs an award.
    ...a rare 100% loyal Pro Race poster. A poster boy for the community.
  • mechanism
    mechanism Posts: 891
    You can't really blame people for discussing it given Cookson's own statements (which came before April 1st).
  • yorkshireraw
    yorkshireraw Posts: 1,632
    filmed evidence of a pro on a motor-assisted bike..... the truth is out there ;-)

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=-jV_X_017uY

I can't believe some of the quotes in the article - 'even the mechanics don't know it's there'. Yes, the same mechanics who build every team bike from scratch, from frameset up to complete bike. So riders must be sneacking into the service course at midnight and fitting it themselves..... or asking to keep their bike in their room during a race and doing a bit of evening tinkering.
    Anyone believing this needs to come back to planet earth where logic exists.
  • Macaloon
    Macaloon Posts: 5,545
    ^ Now we know how Froome and Porte took apart Armstrong's Col de La Madone time. Strange they don't use the doped bikes on Alpe d'Huez etc.
    ...a rare 100% loyal Pro Race poster. A poster boy for the community.
  • above_the_cows
    above_the_cows Posts: 11,406
    Ashbeck wrote:
    I go on holiday for a week and you lot have all been at the blue Smarties..... :D

Wait until July if you think this is bad... :D
    Correlation is not causation.
  • above_the_cows
    If the motor/battery was in the frame - would it not be easily detected with a magnet?

I think you may have inadvertently got to the bottom of why Geraint Thomas kept falling off. His magnet band thingy was attracted to the metal motor thingy somewhere lower down on his bike.
  • Pross
    Pross Posts: 43,162
    I'm actually worried that Joel might believe this is credible rather than just having a bit of a laugh about it!

I'm a bit confused about who is actually fitting these motors. If it is a team then whenever a rider changes team surely they would let their new team know and if they weren't already using them too then they would also buy them in so in jo time everyone would use the same kit and there'd no longer be an advantage.
  • DeVlaeminck
    DeVlaeminck Posts: 9,031
    I don't think the UCI should be mocked for taking this seriously - the technology is there . Not saying it has ever happened in a pro race but it's cheap enough to x-ray or strip a few bikes which should ensure nobody ever does try it. More interesting when this comes in for your local amateurs on training rides - how will some people react when they lose the race for the cafe to someone with a battery powered extra 100 watts - to veterans like me getting past their best the time when this tech becomes available on the cheap can't come soon enough!
    [Castle Donington Ladies FC - going up in '22]
  • joelsim
    joelsim Posts: 7,552
    I think every avenue has to be investigated thoroughly. A battery has been invented that is six times thinner than a bacterium. And bacteriums are very small ;)

The fact that mechanical doping keeps being mentioned, to me means that it deserves some consideration.
  • andyp
    andyp Posts: 10,449
    Have we had this yet?

http://bicitruccata.com
  • Pross
    Pross Posts: 43,162
    I don't blame the UcI for looking at it but I assume when you say the technology is there you mean a motor that can power a bike without being obvious at a glance rather than some form of undetectable nano technology that can power a bike?

The problem with the concept is that any sensibly sized motor would just be too easy to discover by a fairly basic post race check or if the bike was damaged in a crash.
  • joelsim
    joelsim Posts: 7,552
    Why would someone say that the UCI could cut a bike into a 1,000 pieces and still not find it Pross?

And given the fact that the testers would have access to a bike post-race for literally a couple of minutes each, especially a stage race where the teams need them back to transport and get them ready for the next day, it is not beyond the realms of possibility that there is something in this.
  • above_the_cows
    andyp wrote:
    Have we had this yet?

Oh my god, someone has a lot of time on their hands!
  • RichN95.
    RichN95. Posts: 27,241
    andyp wrote:
    Have we had this yet?

That's amazing. There's no way they'll be able to find that battery pack disguised as a bidon
    Twitter: @RichN95
  • iainf72
    iainf72 Posts: 15,784
    whois result

Domain Name: bicitruccata.com
    Registry Domain ID: 1853700514_DOMAIN_COM-VRSN
    Registrar WHOIS Server: whois.ascio.com
    Registrar URL: http://www.ascio.com
    Updated Date: 2015-03-15T03:37:55Z
    Creation Date: 2014-04-07T13:51:52Z
    Registrar Registration Expiration Date: 2016-04-07T13:51:55Z
    Registrar: Ascio Technologies, Inc
    Registrar IANA ID: 106
    Registrar Abuse Contact Email: abuse@ascio.com
    Registrar Abuse Contact Phone: +44.2070159370
    Reseller:
    Domain Status: OK
    Registry Registrant ID:
    Registrant Name: Istvan Varjas
    Registrant Organization:
    Registrant Street: Ferencesek u.44
    Registrant City: Pecs
    Registrant State/Province:
    Registrant Postal Code: 7624
    Registrant Country: HU
    Registrant Phone:
    Registrant Phone Ext:
    Registrant Fax:
    Registrant Fax Ext:
    Registrant Email:
    Registry Admin ID:
    Fckin' Quintana … that creep can roll, man.
  • andyp
    Joelsim wrote:
    Why would someone say that the UCI could cut a bike into a 1,000 pieces and still not find it Pross?
    To take in the gullible.
  • No_Ta_Doctor
    No_Ta_Doctor Posts: 14,535
    iainf72 wrote:
    whois result

Reseller:
    Registry Registrant ID:
    Registrant Organization:
    Registrant Phone:
    Registrant Phone Ext:
    Registrant Fax:
    Registrant Fax Ext:
    Registrant Email:
    Registry Admin ID:

Oooh, top bit of spodding there. Hungarian, eh? Who'd have thunk it.
    Warning No formatter is installed for the format
  • gweeds
    gweeds Posts: 2,605
    RichN95 wrote:
    andyp wrote:
    Have we had this yet?

That's amazing. There's no way they'll be able to find that battery pack disguised as a bidon

Now we know why they're all so keen to throw the bidons away at the end of a race.....

:shock:
    Napoleon, don't be jealous that I've been chatting online with babes all day. Besides, we both know that I'm training to be a cage fighter.
  • andyp
    iainf72 wrote:
    whois result

Reseller:
    Registry Registrant ID:
    Registrant Organization:
    Registrant Phone:
    Registrant Phone Ext:
    Registrant Fax:
    Registrant Fax Ext:
    Registrant Email:
    Registry Admin ID:

Can you tweet that at Kathy LeMond please. ;-)
  • above_the_cows
    With a UK, central London phone number?

+44 207 015 9370