Mechanical doping. Wow.

Comments

• gweeds
    gweeds Posts: 2,605
    Superb. You're wondering if Sean Yates is commuting ahead of you
    Napoleon, don't be jealous that I've been chatting online with babes all day. Besides, we both know that I'm training to be a cage fighter.
  • Pross
    Pross Posts: 43,162
    There's a guy on my commute who uses an electric motor to assist his riding.

Bloody massive battery, huge hub, and you can hear the whir when there aren't a tonne of cars passing

Almost killed me trying to keep up with a guy sitting upright in civvies into a headwind, until I heard the whir.

You can get your own back now with this new invisible silent motor, it'll freak him out. Same with the old boy on a sit up and beg I struggled to chase down on my commute (I was ready to pack in cycling for good until I saw his giant hub motor!).
  • Anonymous
    Anonymous Posts: 79,667
    Just checked on the clinic, they believe it.

Also Thomas and Paolini crashed at GW so they could change bike to one with a motor.

Why do these people watch the sport if they all think they are cheats
  • slowbike
    slowbike Posts: 8,498
    I wonder if the motor is in the pedals - and left/right balanced - because if the rider isn't 50/50 in the power output from each leg then surely they only need an extra push on the weaker leg - that'll keep the size/weight down - you could even have the battery pack in the shoes - they don't take the shoes from the riders when they're checking bikes do they ...
  • RichN95.
    RichN95. Posts: 27,241
    Slowbike wrote:
    I wonder if the motor is in the pedals - and left/right balanced - because if the rider isn't 50/50 in the power output from each leg then surely they only need an extra push on the weaker leg - that'll keep the size/weight down - you could even have the battery pack in the shoes - they don't take the shoes from the riders when they're checking bikes do they ...
    You're not being serious, are you?
    Twitter: @RichN95
  • Pross
    Pross Posts: 43,162
    RichN95 wrote:
    Slowbike wrote:

Don't knock the man, give him some patent advice in return for a 10% cut of the profits!
  • mm1
    mm1 Posts: 1,063
    edited April 2015
    sjmclean wrote:

Also Thomas and Paolini crashed at GW so they could change bike to one with a motor.

Not sure any of them understand what they are watching, or even they they have actually ever ridden a bike.

Back on the motors thing, a few years back when I was vaguely fit me and a mate practically killed ourselves into a block headwind chasing someone up ahead who turned out to be some codger on an ebike - they certainly work, but as others have said are not exactly discrete.
  • slowbike
    RichN95 wrote:
    Slowbike wrote:

Well - think about it - if all you're after is 10w increase if you put that in the pedals then all you have to do is resist the torque ... where else do you hide a motor?
  • slowbike
    Pross wrote:
    RichN95 wrote:
    Slowbike wrote:

Don't knock the man, give him some patent advice in return for a 10% cut of the profits!

I thought I was posting in Pro Race ... not Road General ... ? :roll:
  • RichN95.
    Slowbike wrote:
    RichN95 wrote:
    Slowbike wrote:

Well - think about it - if all you're after is 10w increase if you put that in the pedals then all you have to do is resist the torque ... where else do you hide a motor?
    How is the motor exerting a lateral force on the crank?
  • lostboysaint
    lostboysaint Posts: 4,250
    Slowbike wrote:
    RichN95 wrote:
    Slowbike wrote:

Just checked the date, it really is April 2nd. :shock:
    Trail fun - Transition Bandit
    Road - Wilier Izoard Centaur/Cube Agree C62 Disc
    Allround - Cotic Solaris
  • slowbike
    RichN95 wrote:
    Slowbike wrote:
    RichN95 wrote:
    Slowbike wrote:

How is the motor exerting a lateral force on the crank?

If you apply a turning force to the pedal spindle then it will turn the crank ... torque would have to be pretty big though.

Really - did you think this thread was serious?
  • blazing_saddles
    blazing_saddles Posts: 22,706
    sjmclean wrote:

I thought that at the time.
    Clearly Thomas was waiting for a nice grassy knoll :) to land in, then faked being blown off.
    I reckon all the crashes by guys able to speak English were faked for motorised bike changes.
    The whole wind gust idea was probably cooked up by Cookson, so folks wouldn't suspect the guys in the front echelon were all motor dopers. :P
    "Science is a tool for cheaters". An anonymous French PE teacher.
  • stu-bim
    stu-bim Posts: 384
    Not sure about undetectable nonsense but looking at the vivax assist, a unit which produced 50 watts for 15 mins could be fairly small and light

50 watts for 15 mins on a climb would certainly be a 'gain' if only somewhat 'marginal'
    Raleigh RX 2.0
    Diamondback Outlook
    Planet X Pro Carbon
  • milton50
    milton50 Posts: 3,856
    This thread is absolutely hilarious. I mean if you had invented a new energy unit, powerful enough to drive a bike and a rider, but so light and small that it cannot be detected by the human eye, you would definitely rather be making the odd 150,000 euro here and there rather than earning trillions revolutionising the car and motor industry.
    reborn2 wrote:
    I presume most of you guys have seen this company? It offers a totally hidden motor giving a claimed 200w for an hour.... You can retro fit it to your bike or buy prefitted onto their setup. Battery hidden either in a dummy biddon or in the seat post.

http://www.vivax-assist.com/en/produkte ... t_4-0.html

Yeh, I have no problem with the concept that a motor can be fitted to a bike, just with the fact that it is so small that it cannot be detected. The product you have linked to weighs 1.8kg and has a big red button on the handlebar.
  • joelsim
    joelsim Posts: 7,552
    Milton50 wrote:
    This thread is absolutely hilarious. I mean if you had invented a new energy unit, powerful enough to drive a bike and a rider, but so light and small that it cannot be detected by the human eye, you would definitely rather be making the odd 150,000 euro here and there rather than earning trillions revolutionising the car and motor industry.
    reborn2 wrote:
    I presume most of you guys have seen this company? It offers a totally hidden motor giving a claimed 200w for an hour.... You can retro fit it to your bike or buy prefitted onto their setup. Battery hidden either in a dummy biddon or in the seat post.

http://www.vivax-assist.com/en/produkte ... t_4-0.html

Yeh, I have no problem with the concept that a motor can be fitted to a bike, just with the fact that it is so small that it cannot be detected. The product you have linked to weighs 1.8kg and has a big red button on the handlebar.

I suspect that one doesn't cost 150k Euro
  • reborn2
    reborn2 Posts: 42
    If anyone is unscrupulous enough to use a product like the vivax in competition I'm pretty sure they would find a way of minimising and hiding the big red button. I'd be suprised if a variant hadn't been trialled at some point in the pro peloton, after all if someone is prepared to dope up to their eyeballs, they'd certainly risk power assist if they thought they could get away with it and it offered a clear advantage.

It wouldn't be something an individual could lone wolf though without the team being in on it.
  • RichN95.
    reborn2 wrote:
    If anyone is unscrupulous enough to use a product like the vivax in competition I'm pretty sure they would find a way of minimising and hiding the big red button. I'd be suprised if a variant hadn't been trialled at some point in the pro peloton, after all if someone is prepared to dope up to their eyeballs, they'd certainly risk power assist if they thought they could get away with it and it offered a clear advantage.
    And that bit in bold is the crux of the matter. Drugs can be taken so that they are undetectable come race day. If EPO had turned a rider's tongue bright blue for a week, no-one would have taken EPO.
    So unless these motors have some sort of Mission Impossible self-destruct system, they're going to be fairly straight forward to find. It's not a risk they're prepared to take.
  • joelsim
    RichN95 wrote:
    reborn2 wrote:
    And that bit in bold is the crux of the matter. Drugs can be taken so that they are undetectable come race day. If EPO had turned a rider's tongue bright blue for a week, no-one would have taken EPO.
    So unless these motors have some sort of Mission Impossible self-destruct system, they're going to be fairly straight forward to find. It's not a risk they're prepared to take.

And that is exactly what they are saying is the case. 18 years and no-one has found one yet. Ferrari quotes 10 years for reference.
  • above_the_cows
    above_the_cows Posts: 11,406
    Joelsim wrote:
    RichN95 wrote:
    reborn2 wrote:

And that is exactly what they are saying is the case. 18 years and no-one has found one yet. Ferrari quotes 10 years for reference.

Maybe because there is nothing to find...?
    Correlation is not causation.
  • RichN95.
    Joelsim wrote:
    RichN95 wrote:
    reborn2 wrote:

'They' being an unheard of Hungarian engineer about whom nothing is known. People not finding something isn't evidence of its existence.
    It's like the dragons we have here in Wales. The fact that no-one has ever seen them just proves how good they are at hiding. (And people have been talking about dragons for centuries).
  • above_the_cows
    above_the_cows Posts: 11,406
    This is like on of those discussions between atheists and believers or when I had to tell a student last week they couldn't write a dissertation on something that hadn't happened.
    Correlation is not causation.
  • gweeds
    gweeds Posts: 2,605
    And frankly Ferrari can do one if he thinks his opinion counts for anything. He's dead to me.
    Napoleon, don't be jealous that I've been chatting online with babes all day. Besides, we both know that I'm training to be a cage fighter.
  • iainf72
    iainf72 Posts: 15,784
    I love this story. It's amazing.

- Mystery engineering with special arcane knowledge
    - Undetectable
    - Monaco (oooh, must be Ferrari)
    - "Evidence"

Fabulous.
    Fckin' Quintana … that creep can roll, man.
  • joelsim
    iainf72 wrote:

- Undetectable
    - "Evidence"

Fabulous.

I guess we'll find out over the next few weeks. Looking forward to Brian taking 210 bikes into the local hospital for an x-ray. Realistically though how difficult would it be to find one, just how long can the UCI spend with a set of team bikes after a stage? The answer is not very long.

The figure that seems to be being bandied about is 100W for an hour. That has to be pretty effective if indeed it's true.
  • iainf72
    iainf72 Posts: 15,784
    Joelsim wrote:

I guess we'll find out over the next few weeks. Looking forward to Brian taking 210 bikes into the local hospital for an x-ray. Realistically though how difficult would it be to find one, just how long can the UCI spend with a set of team bikes after a stage? The answer is not very long.

The figure that seems to be being bandied about is 100W for an hour. That has to be pretty effective if indeed it's true.

They were x-raying bikes in 2010 - Didn't find anything strangely enough.

And during the recent inspections at M-SR the police got a semi when a battery fell of a bike. Pity it was the Di2 battery.
    Fckin' Quintana … that creep can roll, man.
  • tailwindhome
    tailwindhome Posts: 19,310
    “New York has the haircuts, London has the trousers, but Belfast has the reason!
  • Bo Duke
    Bo Duke Posts: 1,058
    Look on the bright side, if the bike had a sneaky electric motor the rider wouldn't need to dope......
    'Performance analysis and Froome not being clean was a media driven story. I haven’t heard one guy in the peloton say a negative thing about Froome, and I haven’t heard a single person in the peloton suggest Froome isn’t clean.' TSP
  • blazing_saddles
    blazing_saddles Posts: 22,706
    Joelsim wrote:
    iainf72 wrote:

- Undetectable
    - "Evidence"

Fabulous.

So that's roughly 1.5 watts we can subtract from those climbing calculations that Vayer is so keen on.
    Given these bikes are only affordable to the sports very top athletes, the only conclusion we can safely draw from this "evidence" is that average bloke in the pro peloton couldn't beat the average club rider on a Sunday afternoon ride.
    "Science is a tool for cheaters". An anonymous French PE teacher.
  • That x ray is the inside of an SRM.
    "In many ways, my story was that of a raging, Christ-like figure who hauled himself off the cross, looked up at the Romans with blood in his eyes and said 'My turn, sock cookers'"

@gietvangent