Milan-Sanremo 2015 *SPOILERS*

Comments

• Ashbeck
    Ashbeck Posts: 235
    Kare:
    THOMAS-Geraint004p.jpg
    Smoke-Pots003p.jpg
    VAN-AVERMAET-Greg804pp.jpg

Not sure why Paolini always likes to show his face in MSR when it is more likely to be found at the back of the race throughout the rest of the year. He did a great job though - 90% sure Kristoff would be nowhere if it wasn't for him.
    sanremo15-gilbert-big.jpg

Gilbert looking busted:
    20154894-260036.jpeg

Anyone else think he would have had a chance of getting the win had he gone solo from here? They slowed and so it allowed everyone else to get back on, including Degenkolb and Kristoff. Only MM would have been a real danger in the sprint from that first little group.
    20154894-260013.jpeg

Are you talking about Sagan in that last photo or Thomas?

Either way, at this point I did think the same thing about both of them. I thought G could have gone off and won it on his own had he not been riding for Swift (although to be fair he was probably shattered at this point) and when Sagan went i did think this is it, he's going to do a Kwiatkowski-ala-World Championships, but he then slowed as well.
    I would like to see Sagan go for it from this position more often instead of waiting for a bunch sprint.
  • ddraver
    ddraver Posts: 26,660
    Agree for both of them too, I guess he wasnt confident enough to out TT Thomas or GvAm
    We're in danger of confusing passion with incompetence
    - @ddraver
  • dish_dash
    dish_dash Posts: 5,643
    Not sure why Paolini always likes to show his face in MSR when it is more likely to be found at the back of the race throughout the rest of the year. He did a great job though - 90% sure Kristoff would be nowhere if it wasn't for him.
    sanremo15-gilbert-big.jpg

Luca Paolini is the boss!
  • rick_chasey
    rick_chasey Posts: 75,661
    Thomas does have a tendency in the big one dayers to chase everything down.
  • frenchfighter
    frenchfighter Posts: 30,642
    Ashbeck wrote:
    Are you talking about Sagan in that last photo or Thomas?

Either way, at this point I did think the same thing about both of them. I thought G could have gone off and won it on his own had he not been riding for Swift (although to be fair he was probably shattered at this point) and when Sagan went i did think this is it, he's going to do a Kwiatkowski-ala-World Championships, but he then slowed as well.
    I would like to see Sagan go for it from this position more often instead of waiting for a bunch sprint.

Was thinking Sagan. Who ever could have would have gone with him - both GVA and G had done a lot of work so were probably smoked - and there were no sprinters other than MM right there as far as I could see (as the Poggio pace had pushed them further back). There were few teammates so they would have had to collaborate to bring that little group back which I don't think would have happened. Depends if Cancellara was with them or the front group and think it was the front group.
    Contador is the Greatest
  • frenchfighter
    232-PIC526201342.jpg
    Contador is the Greatest
  • DeVlaeminck
    DeVlaeminck Posts: 9,031
    I doubt Sagan could have ridden off, he'd have had to go full gas to stay away from the sprinters and whoever got on his wheel would have done him in the sprint. Swift is there and fast enough to come round Sagan apart from Matthews. Not impossible but imo he had more chance in a straight bunch sprint he just got is positioning wrong or Degenkolb got it right. If wants to win MSR it's looking like he needs those extra finishing hills or maybe a wet Poggio and use his descending skills to really thin the group down - though has anyone since Kelly really won it on the descent?
    [Castle Donington Ladies FC - going up in '22]
  • ddraver
    Trouble is DeV , we re both right and we re both wrong...which is what makes cycling so fun!
    - @ddraver
  • Macaloon
    Macaloon Posts: 5,545
    Danish Eurosport claiming Riis says Sagan has some physiological problems, possibly related to poor bike position on his Canondale last season, and that it might take a year to put right.

Oleg is NOT going to be happy.

Does this have legs, or just another scurrilous rumour from the State of Denmark?
    ...a rare 100% loyal Pro Race poster. A poster boy for the community.
  • Ashbeck
    Macaloon wrote:
    Danish Eurosport claiming Riis says Sagan has some physiological problems, possibly related to poor bike position on his Canondale last season, and that it might take a year to put right.

Does this have legs, or just another scurrilous rumour from the State of Denmark?

Who started this rumour within Danish Eurosport?...the marketing arm of Specialized? :twisted:
  • Pokerface
    Pokerface Posts: 7,960
    Fav saying he dropped his chain. Again.

http://www.cyclingnews.com/news/cavendi ... n-san-remo

EQS mechanics clearly need someone from Shimano to give them a refresher course on how to set up Di2 to prevent the chain falling off the OUTSIDE of the chainring.
  • ddraver
    Things we re learning in 2015...

1) Avoid Team Sky's Tyres and EQS' drivetrains!
    - @ddraver
  • Ashbeck
    ddraver wrote:

And NOBODY pedal in the corners.
  • RichN95.
    RichN95. Posts: 27,241
    ddraver wrote:

However, MTN's helmets seem pretty robust and bouncy.
    Twitter: @RichN95
  • milton50
    milton50 Posts: 3,856

He's Italian. He usually puts in some good rides in the Giro as well.
  • DeVlaeminck
    DeVlaeminck Posts: 9,031
    Ashbeck wrote:
    Macaloon wrote:

Who started this rumour within Danish Eurosport?...the marketing arm of Specialized? :twisted:

That's interesting because a couple of seasons ago I remember it was claimed Sagan wouldn't ride the cobbles that year because his position was too far forwards on the bike. I wonder if that is still the case (I know he did ride cobbles last year anyway) or whether they tried to change it last year and he was never happy with it ? Specialized are very into their own fit aren't they - wonder if there is a clash between what Sagan wants and what their bike fit experts want.

Reminds me of the time Derby County (my club - in the sense I support them rather than own them) signed a player called Branko Strupar - great scoring record in Belgium and started in the Premiership like a house on fire. Then the club "experts" decided his running style predisposed him to injury (despite him already being late 20s) and tried to improve it - of course you can guess he then got injured and retired early - whether that proved the experts right or proved them wrong is unknown but I tend towards the view that if it's working don't change it.
    [Castle Donington Ladies FC - going up in '22]
  • dish_dash
    Ashbeck wrote:
    Macaloon wrote:

Such tosh... he's been riding a Cannondale since 2011 and had a cracking season on one. So can't see last season's bike being the main factor. For me he's just not been racing smart... he's got used to muscling it in the peloton, that approach isn't getting the wins so he needs to adjust his tactical mindset and is struggling.
  • Milton50 wrote:

He's Italian. He usually puts in some good rides in the Giro as well.
    He's the new Scarponi then.
  • dish_dash
    Friebe posted his piece in ProCycling from a while back on Paolini... Worth a read for those questioning his role/tactics. http://www.docdroid.net/vbu5/pcy189paol ... s.pdf.html
  • Macaloon
    Macaloon Posts: 5,545
    Eurosport replaying Poggio finish in lieu of live pictures from elsewhere. Sagan tried an attack near the top of the climb and was first wheel in the chase of Thomas and GvA, all before his fake attack at the bottom. That's a lot of work while everybody else was being sheltered or counseled by Paolini.
    ...a rare 100% loyal Pro Race poster. A poster boy for the community.
  • frenchfighter
    dish_dash wrote:
    Friebe posted his piece in ProCycling from a while back on Paolini... Worth a read for those questioning his role/tactics. http://www.docdroid.net/vbu5/pcy189paol ... s.pdf.html

Thanks, looks like a good piece. Will have a read.
    Contador is the Greatest
  • frenchfighter
    Contador is the Greatest
  • No_Ta_Doctor
    No_Ta_Doctor Posts: 14,535
    dish_dash wrote:
    Ashbeck wrote:
    Macaloon wrote:

Such tosh... he's been riding a Cannondale since 2011 and had a cracking season on one. So can't see last season's bike being the main factor. For me he's just not been racing smart... he's got used to muscling it in the peloton, that approach isn't getting the wins so he needs to adjust his tactical mindset and is struggling.

One of the commentators claimed to have it straight from Riis. The point wasn't that he couldn't ride with that fit, the point was he'd farked himself up riding it.
    Warning No formatter is installed for the format
  • tailwindhome
    tailwindhome Posts: 19,310
    dish_dash wrote:

Thanks for that
    “New York has the haircuts, London has the trousers, but Belfast has the reason!
  • ddraver
    http://cyclingtips.com.au/2015/03/how-t ... -san-remo/

One of the best, and certainly the best closing song ever! Also not how well Degenkolb rides the race. A rational person has to give him credit. He played a blinder!
    - @ddraver
  • GGBiker
    GGBiker Posts: 450
    Sagan's Cannondale was a custom built frame, same headtube as a 54cm frame I think but with a 58cm frame's top tube, ie extremely long and low position. Interesting as he looks more stocky than the average. Maybe trying to look cool on the bike has caused an injury. He certainly seems to have lost his mojo.
  • Bo Duke
    Bo Duke Posts: 1,058
    Bear in mind the definition of mojo, lose 1% and you're simply not there.
    'Performance analysis and Froome not being clean was a media driven story. I haven’t heard one guy in the peloton say a negative thing about Froome, and I haven’t heard a single person in the peloton suggest Froome isn’t clean.' TSP
  • overlord2
    overlord2 Posts: 339
    Pokerface wrote:

EQS mechanics clearly need someone from Shimano to give them a refresher course on how to set up Di2 to prevent the chain falling off the OUTSIDE of the chainring.

Im sure they were on SRAM last year. Probably not been on the course yet. :lol:
  • dish_dash
    Overlord2 wrote:
    Pokerface wrote:

Im sure they were on SRAM last year. Probably not been on the course yet. :lol:

Wasn't there talk of EQS running some FSA components with a view to a potential FSA groupset being released in the coming months?
  • ddraver
    Indeed...One imagines FSA are furioulsy blaming Shimano whilst Shimano equally furiously blame FSA
    - @ddraver