Milan-Sanremo 2015 *SPOILERS*

Comments

• rick_chasey
    rick_chasey Posts: 73,118
    emadden wrote:

Eh? Player more like.

He's just doing it for the camera ... he's the new Tommy "TV" Voekler. Love when he grabs his bike as if he was going to mount it, only realise the back wheel was taken out ...

Winning means more when it's obvious everyone else cares to much to be sporting. Then you know everyone's given everything they could....
  • emadden
    emadden Posts: 2,431

Thanks, don't blame him. It has got to be the worst thing when your race is killed due to someone crashing out in front of you on the descent.

Good advert for the helmet though - he threw it with sme power and it did not crack into pieces :D

His race was killed loooong before that... He hit the deck well after Gilbert, who was in about 20th when he slid out. Ciolek was as cooked as burnt rib eye.
    www.dotcycling.com
  • andytee87
    andytee87 Posts: 406
    Ashbeck wrote:
    Swift always disappoints me, hes always there in the last 15 but never seems to have that final burst over the last few hundred meters. Thomas bust a gut today too.

I was disappointed as well after the amount of work G did, and Rowe before, but in the overheads, Swift was moving up and got blocked up the barriers and boxed. Not saying he was in the right position before or would have been up there mind.
  • Ashbeck
    Ashbeck Posts: 235
    FWIW there are quite a few of these 'hot chilee' sponsored guys on the embankment commute, for people who are watching the dross that's now on Eurosport.

I would like to say I rinse them on a regular basis, but that wouldn't be quite true.

:D
  • milton50
    milton50 Posts: 3,856
    MSR is usually an anti-climax in terms of how the race pans out but I still love the anticipation because it has to be the single race with the most bona fide potential winners. And I like that in the first monument of the year.
  • frenchfighter
    frenchfighter Posts: 30,642
    emadden wrote:
    His race was killed loooong before that... He hit the deck well after Gilbert, who was in about 20th when he slid out. Ciolek was as cooked as burnt rib eye.

Possibly, but it slowed at the bottom and the group was 30 odd strong s everyone who wanted a chance of a sprint could have.
    Contador is the Greatest
  • No_Ta_Doctor
    No_Ta_Doctor Posts: 13,450
    ddraver wrote:
    emadden wrote:
    adr82 wrote:

What a k.n.o.b.

Riders need to show more passion

HOW DARE RIDERS SHOW PASSION

Agree. Especially for Ciolek - in a team reliant on invites to join the big races (doing ok with that), in good form, at the end of a monument he's won before, with strong teammates up there. Absolutely gutting, and he showed it.
    Warning No formatter is installed for the format
  • ddraver
    ddraver Posts: 26,406
    andytee87 wrote:
    Ashbeck wrote:
    Swift always disappoints me, hes always there in the last 15 but never seems to have that final burst over the last few hundred meters. Thomas bust a gut today too.

I was disappointed as well after the amount of work G did, and Rowe before, but in the overheads, Swift was moving up and got blocked up the barriers and boxed. Not saying he was in the right position before or would have been up there mind.

Iain says on twitter that someone needs to remind Sagan that he is not a flat sprinter, they need to do the same for Swift.
    We're in danger of confusing passion with incompetence
    - @ddraver
  • emadden
    emadden Posts: 2,431

Possibly, but it slowed at the bottom and the group was 30 odd strong s everyone who wanted a chance of a sprint could have.[/quote]

True indeed, but I reckon you'd have needed seriously good legs to get past the Degen and Kristoff Who Ate all the Pies drag race.
    www.dotcycling.com
  • ddraver
    Sanne Cant faces on the lower steps of the podium...
    - @ddraver
  • ddraver
    edited March 2015
    Nice lipstick marks...

Shiny Germany eyes have become full Cavendish Tears
    - @ddraver
  • Ashbeck
    Ashbeck Posts: 235
    andytee87 wrote:
    Ashbeck wrote:

Swifty always gets boxed in like that though. Dont get me wrong, i really want the guy to do well but he always seems to 'stroll over in 8th' too often. Who knows, maybe a bit more final sprint awareness might just stick him in the mix at the sharp end a bit more often (by sharp end i mean top three :) )
  • rick_chasey
    rick_chasey Posts: 73,118
    Right guy won.

Showed some early form, obviously knew he was onto a great performance, did SFA on camera in Paris Nice because he doesn't want to draw any attention to it, smashes the sprint.
  • mm1
    mm1 Posts: 1,063
    What a race, love it anyway, but what a race!

TheBigBean wrote:
    Cancellera not on the podium for the first time in a while. A blow to my PTP hopes

He had 11 monument podiums in a row (excluding DNF due to crash). Which was 1 off the record (Costante Girardengo 1918-1925; includes P-R abandons)

If you want to see Giradengo in action (coming 2nd), Mickey ( www.ciclismo-espresso ) has posted a link to film of the 1922 race.
  • inseine
    inseine Posts: 5,786
    ddraver wrote:
    andytee87 wrote:
    Ashbeck wrote:

Iain says on twitter that someone needs to remind Sagan that he is not a flat sprinter, they need to do the same for Swift.

Brilliant form Thomas, but i'm not sure what he was trying to. He seemed to be working for Swift but just found himself away, then continued to ride on the front when he got caught. Lit the race up though.
  • frenchfighter
    mm1 wrote:
    What a race, love it anyway, but what a race!

TheBigBean wrote:
    Cancellera not on the podium for the first time in a while. A blow to my PTP hopes

He had 11 monument podiums in a row (excluding DNF due to crash). Which was 1 off the record (Costante Girardengo 1918-1925; includes P-R abandons)

If you want to see Giradengo in action (coming 2nd), Mickey ( http://www.ciclismo-espresso ) has posted a link to film of the 1922 race.

Yeah noticed that. Here is the link:
    https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=hD5Ej0nFyTo
    Contador is the Greatest
  • andytee87
    andytee87 Posts: 406
    Ashbeck wrote:
    andytee87 wrote:
    Ashbeck wrote:

Swifty always gets boxed in like that though. Dont get me wrong, i really want the guy to do well but he always seems to 'stroll over in 8th' too often. Who knows, maybe a bit more final sprint awareness might just stick him in the mix at the sharp end a bit more often (by sharp end i mean top three :) )

Agreed, guess they were hoping that having Thomas and Oss up the road would have acted as a springboard for a few more puncheur attacks/upping of the pace to reduce the group a bit more. No way should Paolini have been able to control the Poggio and then lead Kristoff out. Big dropping of the ball by some teams
  • specialgueststar
    specialgueststar Posts: 3,418
    edited March 2015
    inseine wrote:
    ddraver wrote:
    andytee87 wrote:
    Ashbeck wrote:

Brilliant form Thomas, but i'm not sure what he was trying to. He seemed to be working for Swift but just found himself away, then continued to ride on the front when he got caught. Lit the race up though.

form is nothing without nouce - SKY didn't make top 10
  • Bouhanni putting the pro contis right in the mix - he just couldn't kick
  • inseine
    inseine Posts: 5,786
    inseine wrote:
    ddraver wrote:
    andytee87 wrote:
    Ashbeck wrote:

form is nothing without nouce

Form without nouce=panache, no?
  • adr82
    adr82 Posts: 4,002
    Nous?
  • frenchfighter

Can you imagine how dull that race would have been, particularly the Poggio, if Sky and Geraint were not in the mix?

Swift got 3rd last year so he knows what he is doing. He is pretty excellent when he wants to be but he is just not a fat, ugly, power sprinter, and thank goodness for that.

There is one race that I need to try and remember that I would link to. Had you seen it you couldn't help back the boy even if you are not a Sky fan.

From our(my) perspective, it is much better for a rider to entertain the fans then to hide, do nothing and take the win.
    Contador is the Greatest
  • ddraver
    Was about to make my usual Sporza comment about switching to an 80s pop show, but then I switch to BBC and hidihi was on so shut my mouth....
    - @ddraver
  • adr82
    There is one race that I need to try and remember that I would link to. Had you seen it you couldn't help back the boy even if you are not a Sky fan.
    This one from last year perhaps? Was a good one!
  • frenchfighter
    Doesn't get much more ugly than this. All black kit, black helmet, stupid moustache, shiny black overshoes, no gloves, jersey unzipped.

CAtwbhRUMAArfb5.jpg

His nodding dog style in that sprint was one of the worst sprint styles I have ever seen.

oUWaKc.gif
    Contador is the Greatest
  • shazzz
    shazzz Posts: 1,077
    Gilbert crash is at around 9m26 of this:
    https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=3HlUu4CAqRo
  • TheBigBean
    TheBigBean Posts: 20,794
    Doesn't get much more ugly than this. All black kit, black helmet, stupid moustache, shiny black overshoes, no gloves, jersey unzipped.

That's my man. He's not in the a fashion shoot, but he is racking up the wins this season. Roll-on P-R.
  • RonB
    RonB Posts: 3,984
    FF, you do realise you will have to keep watching that whilst this page is last in line :D

Seems like the route was about spot on then, just that there were not enough attacks on the Poggio for some. Would the folks who got caught in the crash have been in the mix at the end? Surely there chance was on the way up?

Great effort by Paolini, but Kristoff still had to take it up so soon.
  • adr82
    shazzz wrote:
    Gilbert crash is at around 9m26 of this:
    https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=3HlUu4CAqRo
    Good crash mat placement at least! Watched it at 1/4 speed and still can't work out exactly what happened to cause that... he didn't seem to be taking a different line from most of the others. Bike just went out from under him?
  • that's a sprint after 6 and three quarter hours riding :roll:

Glad |Thomas put on a show .....three times