Milan-Sanremo 2015 *SPOILERS*

Comments

• The_Boy
    The_Boy Posts: 3,099
    So will Sky be disappointed with that, or was my initial assessment that Swift was bang on form off the mark? Aggressive riding to make up for not-so-strong form in other words? Or just a bad sprint?
    Team My Man 2018: David gaudu, Pierre Latour, Romain Bardet, Thibaut pinot, Alexandre Geniez, Florian Senechal, Warren Barguil, Benoit Cosnefroy
  • adr82 wrote:
    form is nothing without nouce - SKY didn't make top 10
    Nous?

ha ha yes I think mine is a yorkshire dialect!!
  • ddraver wrote:
    Was about to make my usual Sporza comment about switching to an 80s pop show, but then I switch to BBC and hidihi was on so shut my mouth....

Belgian cup final on Sporza now.
    "In many ways, my story was that of a raging, Christ-like figure who hauled himself off the cross, looked up at the Romans with blood in his eyes and said 'My turn, sock cookers'"

@gietvangent
  • adr82
    adr82 Posts: 4,002
    tumblr_nlmghih6dO1qbw072o1_500.gif
    Impressive bounce on that helmet! Meanwhile Kwia seems to be just chilling on the barrier in the background.
  • Thomas must have been going for the win - the sprinters had enough round them so no odds in softening them up - he might have been better getting swift into position if that was his job
  • ddraver
    ddraver Posts: 26,660
    adr82 wrote:
    shazzz wrote:
    Gilbert crash is at around 9m26 of this:
    https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=3HlUu4CAqRo
    Good crash mat placement at least! Watched it at 1/4 speed and still can't work out exactly what happened to cause that... he didn't seem to be taking a different line from most of the others. Bike just went out from under him?

Does he clip the inside wall? Clips the inside wall then bounces off and doesn't have enough space to recover and runs into the wall...taking the other 3 with him as he cuts across in front of them. They have nowhere to go....
    We're in danger of confusing passion with incompetence
    - @ddraver
  • The_Boy
    adr82 wrote:

Good advert for the helmet though - he threw it with sme power and it did not crack into pieces :D

Or a damning indictment of Ciolek's upper-body strength ;),
    Team My Man 2018: David gaudu, Pierre Latour, Romain Bardet, Thibaut pinot, Alexandre Geniez, Florian Senechal, Warren Barguil, Benoit Cosnefroy
  • ddraver
    Thomas must have been going for the win - the sprinters had enough round them so no odds in softening them up - he might have been better getting swift into position if that was his job

Thomas goes for the breakaway, Swift can sit in the bunch as everyone else has to chase. If Thomas gets caught Swift sprints. No one else had a lead out man Except Kristoff cos Paolini is such a beast. Trouble is (cliché alert) after 300km it comes down to who is strongest rather than tactics or placement.
    - @ddraver
  • shazzz
    shazzz Posts: 1,077
    ddraver wrote:
    adr82 wrote:
    shazzz wrote:
    Gilbert crash is at around 9m26 of this:
    https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=3HlUu4CAqRo
    Good crash mat placement at least! Watched it at 1/4 speed and still can't work out exactly what happened to cause that... he didn't seem to be taking a different line from most of the others. Bike just went out from under him?

Does he clip the inside wall? Clips the inside wall then bounces off and doesn't have enough space to recover and runs into the wall...taking the other 3 with him as he cuts across in front of them. They have nowhere to go....

I don't think so - but it's hard to tell. Slightly too fast, less than perfect line on the way out, a little bit of unluck, bam...
  • No_Ta_Doctor
    No_Ta_Doctor Posts: 14,536
    The_Boy wrote:
    So will Sky be disappointed with that, or was my initial assessment that Swift was bang on form off the mark? Aggressive riding to make up for not-so-strong form in other words? Or just a bad sprint?

Just a bad sprint. Got himself boxed in on the right behind EBH when he was trying to come up and pretty much had to brake. Would have been guaranteed top 10 minimum otherwise (EBH finished 10th with some crap stuck in his derailleur).
    Warning No formatter is installed for the format
  • ddraver
    EBHs mech
    Boasson Hagen spurtet til tiendeplass med sølvpapir i kjedet - TV2.no http://t.co/w0HmGa8amR #2sykkel http://t.co/e0na2cWBCo
    - @ddraver
  • iainf72
    iainf72 Posts: 15,784
    Satisfactory race.

Good winner, and you can see why QuickStep are keen to sign him for next year.
    Fckin' Quintana … that creep can roll, man.
  • ddraver wrote:
    Thomas must have been going for the win - the sprinters had enough round them so no odds in softening them up - he might have been better getting swift into position if that was his job

Thomas goes for the breakaway, Swift can sit in the bunch as everyone else has to chase. If Thomas gets caught Swift sprints. No one else had a lead out man Except Kristoff cos Paolini is such a beast. Trouble is (cliché alert) after 300km it comes down to who is strongest rather than tactics or placement.

sagan had breshel plus cancellara and valverde were hovering Lampre were strong and my man Dumoulin did some sterling work for degenkolb

plus GVa was in there and Oss was up there too....Swift was completely isolated
    Long race like that everyone fancies there chances so no giving up cf mathews

OK Thomas put on a show - but it was futile and his sprinters in the remnants??
  • iainf72 wrote:
    Satisfactory race.

don't get too excited :)
  • Macaloon
    Macaloon Posts: 5,545
    adr82 wrote:
    Impressive bounce on that helmet! Meanwhile Kwia seems to be just chilling on the barrier in the background.

Must be attached to those shades 8)
    ...a rare 100% loyal Pro Race poster. A poster boy for the community.
  • The_Boy
    The_Boy wrote:

Just a bad sprint. Got himself boxed in on the right behind EBH when he was trying to come up and pretty much had to brake. Would have been guaranteed top 10 minimum otherwise (EBH finished 10th with some crap stuck in his derailleur).

Yeah, that was my first impression, but wasn't sure if I was misreading iyswim.
  • slim_boy_fat
    slim_boy_fat Posts: 1,810
    edited March 2015
    Just seen on twitter that all of the Etixx and Trek bikes have been nabbed by the UCI.
  • tailwindhome
    tailwindhome Posts: 19,310
    This house believes that the Sky 3 should have sat up after the crash on the Capo Berta.
    “New York has the haircuts, London has the trousers, but Belfast has the reason!
  • frenchfighter
    frenchfighter Posts: 30,642
    adr82 wrote:
    There is one race that I need to try and remember that I would link to. Had you seen it you couldn't help back the boy even if you are not a Sky fan.
    This one from last year perhaps? Was a good one!

Yes that's the one, thanks.

viewtopic.php?f=40002&t=12964853&start=400#p18824070

Swift-wins.jpg
    Contador is the Greatest
  • rick_chasey
    rick_chasey Posts: 75,661
    Just seen on twitter that all of the Etixx and Trek bikes have been nabbed by the UCI.
    This is fairly standard.
  • slim_boy_fat
    This is fairly standard.
    I realise testing of bikes is routine. However, from what I have read, on twitter mind you, this instance seems a bit out of the ordinary. Every single one of those two teams bikes have been taken rather than just a selection from a selection of teams. Never seen it pointed out before so thought it worth mentioning.
  • rick_chasey
    rick_chasey Posts: 75,661
    Cav's chain came off on the cipressa.

'it crippled me'. (presumably by that he means his chances in the race).
  • slim_boy_fat

Twice that's happened in recent races isn't it.
  • Anonymous
    Anonymous Posts: 79,667

The other one here he brought down viviani, did it not snap?
  • tailwindhome
    CAttEp9WoAEMJnK.jpg

EBH
    “New York has the haircuts, London has the trousers, but Belfast has the reason!
  • Ashbeck
    Ashbeck Posts: 235

Yeah, brought Viviani down a few weeks ago.

Either Cavs putting some serious power through those chains or the last couple fitted were made of liqourice.
  • Ashbeck
    CAttEp9WoAEMJnK.jpg

EBH

Looks like a Sky rice-cake wrapper to me.
  • tailwindhome
    CAuVR6fUYAA7HGP.jpg
  • tailwindhome
    CAuUyicWQAAgnY_.jpg:large

chris juul-jensen ‏@JensenJuul · 10m10 minutes ago
    You are all very kind.. Thank you for your concern .. Nothing too bad just an upper cut from Milano San Remo..
  • Ashbeck
    CAuUyicWQAAgnY_.jpg:large

chris juul-jensen ‏@JensenJuul · 10m10 minutes ago
    You are all very kind.. Thank you for your concern .. Nothing too bad just an upper cut from Milano San Remo..

Now thats a head wound.