Milan-Sanremo 2015 *SPOILERS*

Comments

• Ashbeck
    Ashbeck Posts: 235
    Just watching the highlights again and i can't work out why Thomas keeps leaving his radio earpiece out. Hes done it on a few races ive seen this year.
    Broken? Doesnt need team orders after a certain point?

'..G....G?...Geeeeee!!!...slow down man....hello?..G?...you there..?'
  • argyllflyer
    argyllflyer Posts: 893
    Really enjoyed the last part of the race today, and well done Degenkolb on winning against some fierce opposition but yet another 'falling short' performance from Peter van Saganmaet. They're saying Twitter how many monuments will JD win, but another question might be what will be PS's first? I suppose more immediately he'll want to show some sort of cobbles form at E3 on Friday. Can't wait!
  • overlord2
    overlord2 Posts: 339
    Ashbeck wrote:
    Cav's chain came off on the cipressa.

'it crippled me'. (presumably by that he means his chances in the race).
    Twice that's happened in recent races isn't it.

Yeah, brought Viviani down a few weeks ago.

Either Cavs putting some serious power through those chains or the last couple fitted were made of liqourice.

afaik they are not breaking but an over-shift on the outside. Seems odd though why would you shift on the front going into a sprint? :?
  • Bendy chain rings?
    "In many ways, my story was that of a raging, Christ-like figure who hauled himself off the cross, looked up at the Romans with blood in his eyes and said 'My turn, sock cookers'"

@gietvangent
  • thomthom
    thomthom Posts: 3,574
    Good it wasn't worse for Chris. Still a nasty wound, mind. Top guy!

Video of the crash:
    https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=mMRmx78lPmA

I'm sure most of you know this youtube account, in case you don't.. It's absolutely brilliant.
  • Pross
    Pross Posts: 41,033
    Fast forwarded through to the last 25km. Saw Rowe and Nordhaug burn themselves out and the Sky rider (Fenn?) crash on the descent. Didn't Stannard ride? I didn't hear him get a mention. Thought for a moment G might make it as there wasn't much organisation behind. Shame Swift never looked in contention despite being put in a very good position. On the plus side I get my first PTP points of the season with a win. Disappointing race though as it so often is but that goes with the attritional nature I suppose.
  • thomthom
    thomthom Posts: 3,574
    Ashbeck wrote:
    CAttEp9WoAEMJnK.jpg

EBH

Looks like a Sky rice-cake wrapper to me.

Margi.. Mechanical gains.
  • jam1e
    jam1e Posts: 1,068
    Stannard crashed or was caught up in a crash on the same descent as the above apparently, as was Puccio.
  • RonB
    RonB Posts: 3,984
    Pross wrote:
    Fast forwarded through to the last 25km. Saw Rowe and Nordhaug burn themselves out and the Sky rider (Fenn?) crash on the descent. Didn't Stannard ride? I didn't hear him get a mention. Thought for a moment G might make it as there wasn't much organisation behind. Shame Swift never looked in contention despite being put in a very good position. On the plus side I get my first PTP points of the season with a win. Disappointing race though as it so often is but that goes with the attritional nature I suppose.

Sky tweet suggests that Stannard came down with Puccio on the descent, which saw the 3 Sky guys break clear of the peloton.

edit - what Jam1e said :D
  • frenchfighter
    frenchfighter Posts: 30,642
    Fenn caused a whole World of hurt and upset there. Looks like he got off lightly, the same can't be said for the 10 riders he made crash into the walls and barriers.

No mention of Fenn's crash and what it caused on Sky's site. Typical dirty and misreporting media.

with the confusion enabling Rowe, Thomas and Swift to go clear

Not sure how they get away with that BS lie. Lucky that true fans give their reports very little credence. Way back I used to read some of them to get some insight but stopped after noticing it was slimy PR through and through.

http://www.teamsky.com/teamsky/home/art ... 8jSesgT.97
    Contador is the Greatest
  • andyp
    andyp Posts: 10,171
    You don't have talk some utter crap sometimes.

I'm surprised you didn't hint that Fenn did it on purpose as part of Sky's master plan.
  • tailwindhome
    tailwindhome Posts: 18,965
    Michał Kwiatkowski ‏@michalkwiatek · 4h4 hours ago
    Third attempt to @Milano_Sanremo and this time I made it into the finish #almost. Poggio descent is a b**ch!
    “New York has the haircuts, London has the trousers, but Belfast has the reason!
  • CAttEp9WoAEMJnK.jpg

EBH

is that a 7 speed block
  • Anonymous
    Anonymous Posts: 79,667
    Fenn caused a whole World of hurt and upset there. Looks like he got off lightly, the same can't be said for the 10 riders he made crash into the walls and barriers.

No mention of Fenn's crash and what it caused on Sky's site. Typical dirty and misreporting media.

Not sure how they get away with that BS lie. Lucky that true fans give their reports very little credence. Way back I used to read some of them to get some insight but stopped after noticing it was slimy PR through and through.

He's back. Just in time for the real season starting.
  • ddraver
    ddraver Posts: 26,406
    How exactly did Fenn sliding OUT on a corner cause riders to hit the INSIDE wall?!?
    We're in danger of confusing passion with incompetence
    - @ddraver
  • RichN95.
    RichN95. Posts: 27,187
    edited March 2015
    is that a 7 speed block
    I count ten. The smaller three seem to have become misaligned.
    Twitter: @RichN95
  • adr82
    adr82 Posts: 4,002

I think Juul-Jensen crashed before Rowe, Thomas and Swift went away. Watch here (from ~7:50 if link doesn't go there automatically). 4 Sky on the front, then sudden cut to the riders lying against the wall. Then back to Sky with the 3 of them alone, then back to that same crash. The Fenn crash is shown here and I see no way it could have caused people to end up going into the wall on the right side of the road. If they'd gone down there they'd have been hitting the barrier or fence on the left. And when all is said and done it's not like crashes aren't part of racing - eg Porte and Thomas both going down at P-N just days ago.
  • Pross
    Pross Posts: 41,033
    ^exactly. The wall crash aftermath had been shown several times before Fenn went down on a bend, I only saw one other rider go down in that crash. Crashes happen when riders are pushing it on descents, especially in the wet. Even King Contador 'caused' a crash in similar circumstances in the Tour a year or two back.
  • type:epyt
    type:epyt Posts: 766
    Fret not, ff's just pi$$ed Tinkoff's new pet project didn't win and AC will have to work harder in the coming weeks ...
    Life is unfair, kill yourself or get over it.
  • iainf72
    iainf72 Posts: 15,784
    type:epyt wrote:
    Fret not, ff's just pi$$ed Tinkoff's new pet project didn't win and AC will have to work harder in the coming weeks ...

Nah, FF isn't a huge Sagan fan.
    Fckin' Quintana … that creep can roll, man.
  • keydon
    keydon Posts: 144
    ddraver wrote:
    adr82 wrote:
    shazzz wrote:
    Gilbert crash is at around 9m26 of this:
    https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=3HlUu4CAqRo
    Good crash mat placement at least! Watched it at 1/4 speed and still can't work out exactly what happened to cause that... he didn't seem to be taking a different line from most of the others. Bike just went out from under him?

Does he clip the inside wall? Clips the inside wall then bounces off and doesn't have enough space to recover and runs into the wall...taking the other 3 with him as he cuts across in front of them. They have nowhere to go....

I seem to be the only one to see it as it happened(in the corner of the screen), I knew it was red rider but would never think Gilbert would lose it where everyone else managed okay, I too watched it half a dozen times and there seemed to be no reason, so it's likely that he touched something slightly slippy that the rest missed, it only needs to be a wee slip and momentum does the rest. If we knew how close we were to coming off all the time, we'd buy a wheelchair.
  • Macaloon
    Macaloon Posts: 5,545
    Quality FFology this early in the season. Good to see.

Commentary today was a treat with 2 guys who know a bit about racing bikes.
    ...a rare 100% loyal Pro Race poster. A poster boy for the community.
  • inseine
    inseine Posts: 5,786
    Daniel Friebe:

@friebos: If a race bores you, it bores you. But complaining about lack of big attacks on Poggio like saying Fellini needs more fight scenes.
  • Bo Duke
    Bo Duke Posts: 1,058
    I question whether Sky were right to keep the 3 lads out in front.

Rowe was burnt out by the time the peloton caught them (necessary?), Gee kept up with the front men but would clearly have no sprint and Swifty was too tired to aggressively sprint. The sprint was between guys who hadn't bust a gut on the front at any stage as is usually the case. Personally whilst the macho image of Sky remains as stretching the peloton to breaking point, it doesn't actually bring about victory. The 3 lads did a great job but the peloton was always going to catch them so what was the point?
    'Performance analysis and Froome not being clean was a media driven story. I haven’t heard one guy in the peloton say a negative thing about Froome, and I haven’t heard a single person in the peloton suggest Froome isn’t clean.' TSP
  • mm1
    mm1 Posts: 1,063
    Bo Duke wrote:

Rowe was burnt out by the time the peloton caught them (necessary?), Gee kept up with the front men but would clearly have no sprint and Swifty was too tired to aggressively sprint. The sprint was between guys who hadn't bust a gut on the front at any stage as is usually the case. Personally whilst the macho image of Sky remains as stretching the peloton to breaking point, it doesn't actually bring about victory. The 3 lads did a great job but the peloton was always going to catch them so what was the point?

Are you saying they should have sat up? G says he had an easy ride up to the finale, but that he wasn't feeling great. Possibly not working any harder than they would have been back in the group and probably safer. Anyway, I enjoy seeing instinct take over and am very much looking forward to seeing Sky race aggressively over the cobbles.
  • No_Ta_Doctor
    No_Ta_Doctor Posts: 13,450
    mm1 wrote:
    Bo Duke wrote:

Are you saying they should have sat up? G says he had an easy ride up to the finale, but that he wasn't feeling great. Possibly not working any harder than they would have been back in the group and probably safer. Anyway, I enjoy seeing instinct take over and am very much looking forward to seeing Sky race aggressively over the cobbles.

They were sitting on the front anyway, they were always going to try and drill it, probably all the way to the top of the poggio, so probably a net gain for them that someone else also had to work behind them.
    Warning No formatter is installed for the format
  • ddraver
    Sky need a Plan B and to be more exciting

HOW DARE SKY HAVE A PLAN B AND RACE EXCITING
    - @ddraver
  • frenchfighter
    andyp wrote:
    You don't have talk some utter crap sometimes.

I'm surprised you didn't hint that Fenn did it on purpose as part of Sky's master plan.

For your first comment on this thread, it is pretty useless.

See my previous comments about the Sky riders this race. Most complementary then any on here. Same can't be said about their PR people. Just accept it.
    inseine wrote:
    Daniel Friebe:

@friebos: If a race bores you, it bores you. But complaining about lack of big attacks on Poggio like saying Fellini needs more fight scenes.

Er no, complaining about lack of attacks on the Poggio is justified if you are a fan of cycling. Giving your opinions on the good and bad of a race.
    ddraver wrote:
    Sky need a Plan B and to be more exciting

HOW DARE SKY HAVE A PLAN B AND RACE EXCITING

Calm down it's Monday morning.
    Contador is the Greatest
  • ddraver
    I'm very calm 8) , i just think it's worth pointing out...
    - @ddraver
  • frenchfighter
    Kare:
    THOMAS-Geraint004p.jpg
    Smoke-Pots003p.jpg
    VAN-AVERMAET-Greg804pp.jpg

Not sure why Paolini always likes to show his face in MSR when it is more likely to be found at the back of the race throughout the rest of the year. He did a great job though - 90% sure Kristoff would be nowhere if it wasn't for him.
    sanremo15-gilbert-big.jpg

Gilbert looking busted:
    20154894-260036.jpeg

Anyone else think he would have had a chance of getting the win had he gone solo from here? They slowed and so it allowed everyone else to get back on, including Degenkolb and Kristoff. Only MM would have been a real danger in the sprint from that first little group.
    20154894-260013.jpeg
    Contador is the Greatest