Tirreno-Adriatico 2015 **Spoilers**

Comments

• Macaloon
    Macaloon Posts: 5,545
    RichN95 wrote:
    Macaloon wrote:
    Froome can't beat Quintana at this tour.
    Are you a gambling man?
    Not normally, but I'd be willing to get pecuniary if you're up for trading sigs for Vuelta 2015.
    ...a rare 100% loyal Pro Race poster. A poster boy for the community.
  • RichN95.
    RichN95. Posts: 27,173
    Macaloon wrote:
    RichN95 wrote:
    Macaloon wrote:
    Are you a gambling man?
    Not normally, but I'd be willing to get pecuniary if you're up for trading sigs for Vuelta 2015.
    I assume that this post is referring to forum signatures as a bet.
    That's not gambling. I'm a man who has bet over £100 on the turn of a card. On more than one occasion.

So if you want to bet, a charity bet for £20-50. (Don't feel you have to front up to this - it's just fun)
    Twitter: @RichN95
  • Macaloon
    RichN95 wrote:
    So if you want to bet, a charity bet for £20-50. (Don't feel you have to front up to this - it's just fun)
    Geat idea. How?
  • RichN95.
    RichN95. Posts: 27,173
    Macaloon wrote:
    RichN95 wrote:
    Geat idea. How?
    Right. Froome v Quintana. Highest GC position in Paris (assuming both start)

Pick a charity* and a price. (I like Epilepsy Action - www.epilepsy.org.uk)
    *One that I can donate online and get a screen grab of.
    Twitter: @RichN95
  • Macaloon
    RichN95 wrote:
    Macaloon wrote:
    RichN95 wrote:
    Geat idea. How?

Pick a charity* and a price. (I like Epilepsy Action - http://www.epilepsy.org.uk)
    OK. I'll have a ponder.
  • Anonymous
    Anonymous Posts: 79,667
  • thomthom
    thomthom Posts: 3,574
    That's all he ever do. Most boring rider of the peloton. By a mile.
  • Anonymous
    Anonymous Posts: 79,667
    ThomThom wrote:

Yup, I've seen loads of other riders saying it was a very hard but very good stage to race. If Fabs really wanted to do something about it he'd pull out and make a fuss. Bet he doesn't moan this year if he's in yellow on the narrow treacherous cobbles.
  • thomthom
    thomthom Posts: 3,574
    'Spartacus' my ass.
  • Bo Duke
    Bo Duke Posts: 1,058
    RichN95 wrote:
    Macaloon wrote:
    Are you a gambling man?
    I'd say that over the length of a Tour that Froome has the mental advantage over Qunitana which is the difference between 1st and 2nd.
    'Performance analysis and Froome not being clean was a media driven story. I haven’t heard one guy in the peloton say a negative thing about Froome, and I haven’t heard a single person in the peloton suggest Froome isn’t clean.' TSP
  • ThomThom wrote:

Tearing through the Forest of Arenberg at 50kph is perfectly acceptable but riding up a hill slowly with a little snow under foot (wheel!) is a big no-no? Make your bloody mind up, Spartacus.

Great ride by Quintana. It augurs well for the Cols in Framce in the summer and some big battles with Froome. It is a pity Poels couldn't hang onto the blue jersey.

DD.
  • rick_chasey
    rick_chasey Posts: 72,923
    sjmclean wrote:
    ThomThom wrote:

Yup, I've seen loads of other riders saying it was a very hard but very good stage to race. If Fabs really wanted to do something about it he'd pull out and make a fuss. Bet he doesn't moan this year if he's in yellow on the narrow treacherous cobbles.

https://twitter.com/andregreipel/status ... 6492949504

https://twitter.com/patlefevere/status/ ... 0848193536

One minute of browsing and I've found Lefevre and Greipel complaining too, so calm down.
  • milton50
    milton50 Posts: 3,856
    I'm a big fan of Quintana and I laughed when some people said he wasn't on the same level as Contador and Froome. That said I think Froome has the better team and even though there is hardly any TT miles he will pick up some time on him.

I'm not Contador's biggest fan, and he didn't look great yesterday, but if he is going for the Giro-Tour double then he shouldn't be at 100% yet so it's fair enough.

Nibali did exactly the same as this last year and then crucified everyone in the Tour. So it's no surprise that he's going to try and do the same again.
  • tailwindhome
    tailwindhome Posts: 18,956
    10611045_1621600351384662_881409191_n.jpg

fabian_cancellara
    8 minutes ago

Flashback from yesterday stage. Looks like at the wrong place what i am doing.#cycling. It was defently to much. @sprintcycling @ilariobiondi
    “New York has the haircuts, London has the trousers, but Belfast has the reason!
  • frenchfighter
    frenchfighter Posts: 30,642
    sjmclean wrote:
    ThomThom wrote:

https://twitter.com/andregreipel/status ... 6492949504

https://twitter.com/patlefevere/status/ ... 0848193536

One minute of browsing and I've found Lefevre and Greipel complaining too, so calm down.

@PippoPozzato · 10h 10 hours ago
    A voi forse piace questo "spettacolo" A mio PERSONALE parere... NO!(criticatemi pure) #pp #TirrenoAdriatico2015

Conditions looked more or less acceptable to me and they have to bear in mind it was only snowing from a few km out.

If they cycled harder they would keep warmer as well. Many of the big boys at the front had no gloves, arm warmers or leg warmers.
    Contador is the Greatest
  • Macaloon
    ^ Scarface

Scartacus.
  • frenchfighter
    “In Colombia, I live at an altitude of nearly 3000m. Some mornings it is very cold, 4 or 5 degrees, and it can go down to zero. At altitude, it’s a different cold, but then, racing in Europe, we get used to even more extreme conditions. It is not the first time I’ve won in the cold. There was the Giro d’Italia last year, and at Vallter 2000 in the Volta a Catalunya [2013] the conditions were the same as this. I don’t know if I’m the strongest in extreme conditions. [Vincenzo] Nibali and Alberto [Contador] have both won in the heat and in the cold. In the end, when you are a leader, you have to have a strong head and legs, whatever the weather”.
    -Quintana

282-PIC524752904.jpg
    319-20150315D-18.jpg
    Contador is the Greatest
  • Macaloon
    RichN95 wrote:

Pick a charity* and a price. (I like Epilepsy Action - http://www.epilepsy.org.uk)

Good choice. I'd prefer http://www.alzheimers.org.uk/. Fifty big ones.
  • frenchfighter
    KfXmvn.gif
    Contador is the Greatest
  • ocdupalais
    ocdupalais Posts: 4,243

Flashback from yesterday stage. Looks like at the wrong place what i am doing.#cycling. It was defently to much. @sprintcycling @ilariobiondi

How can people like Cancellara not see that "expressing yourself" on social media might have the opposite overall effect on your status to the one you intended? He's diminishing his own legend.

In about 1991, I remember being frustrated when Sean Kelly was asked what situations he fears most in a race: he replied, "ask me again when I've retired". Like many pros, he talked about shielding your suffering (majorly) from your opponents during a race - I'm now thinking perhaps Twinkle-Toes Cancellara should extend this to after the race, too...
  • rick_chasey
    rick_chasey Posts: 72,923
    Depends on where the team busses are parked too.

If theyre at the bottom of the climb I can see why they're a bit annoyed.
  • Macaloon
    OCDuPalais wrote:
    I'm now thinking perhaps Twinkle-Toes Cancellara should extend this to after the race, too...
    'Candelabra'
  • ocdupalais
    ocdupalais Posts: 4,243
    https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=CrVd6fXK370

Tricky-dicky descending techniques? Matt White not a fan - big risk to goolies...
    No whinging from Yates here - and he was getting smacked around the head by a Contador frying pan for the last few kms...
  • above_the_cows
    above_the_cows Posts: 11,406
    The problem with Fabian and his complaining is that it seems like crying wolf a lot of the time so when there actually is a reason for the riders to voice concern his complaining will sound like white noise.

Personally I hate riding in the cold, it really affects me, but that is for a whole ride below 5 say, cold for the last few kms of a mountain climb are not so bad (descending in the cold is a different kettle of fish). Did none of them have to do cross country running in the frost in a regular PE kit consisting of shorts, cotton socks, plimmies and an airtex t-shirt?
    Correlation is not causation.
  • mrushton
    mrushton Posts: 5,182
    edited March 2015
    Veloflex on there yet Porte/Thomas had issues with them(?). When did Bertie move to Oakley. Always thought he had those ZeroHX things
    M.Rushton
  • deejay
    deejay Posts: 3,138
    Christ, As a junior I won a 25 mile TT club event with the last 15 miles in a Blinding wind swept Blizzard.
    With woolen gloves and cotton road vest on.
    what I didn't know was a couple of motor bikes were keeping tabs on me and someone did the Dead Turn at the Cherry Tree Pub and were there to record my finish.
    I got pride of place in front of the fire in the cafe.
    Oh to be young and foolish again and only an amateur.

Well done Erik Breukink, Andrew Hampsten and many others before them, plus all those that finished yesterday.
    Organiser, National Championship 50 mile Time Trial 1972
  • Bo Duke
    “In Colombia, I live at an altitude of nearly 3000m. Some mornings it is very cold, 4 or 5 degrees, and it can go down to zero. At altitude, it’s a different cold, but then, racing in Europe, we get used to even more extreme conditions. It is not the first time I’ve won in the cold. There was the Giro d’Italia last year, and at Vallter 2000 in the Volta a Catalunya [2013] the conditions were the same as this. I don’t know if I’m the strongest in extreme conditions. [Vincenzo] Nibali and Alberto [Contador] have both won in the heat and in the cold. In the end, when you are a leader, you have to have a strong head and legs, whatever the weather”.
    -Quintana

What a great attitude. Chapeau.
    'Performance analysis and Froome not being clean was a media driven story. I haven’t heard one guy in the peloton say a negative thing about Froome, and I haven’t heard a single person in the peloton suggest Froome isn’t clean.' TSP
  • Bo Duke
    The guy on the motorbike is equally unhappy with his feet down. Not fun on a heavy bike like that. Bet he didn't whinge on twitter though.
  • Macaloon
    Bo Duke wrote:
    RichN95 wrote:
    Macaloon wrote:
    Are you a gambling man?
    I'd say that over the length of a Tour that Froome has the mental advantage over Qunitana which is the difference between 1st and 2nd.
    Why do you say that? I think they're peas from the same pod.