Tirreno-Adriatico 2015 **Spoilers**

Comments

• Macaloon
    Macaloon Posts: 5,545
    Super podium. ^
    ...a rare 100% loyal Pro Race poster. A poster boy for the community.
  • frenchfighter
    frenchfighter Posts: 30,642
    delete
    Contador is the Greatest
  • thomthom
    thomthom Posts: 3,574
    Yep, that's definitely a 45' angle bendiness versus a 75'.
  • Macaloon
    @ORICA_GreenEDGE 35m35 minutes ago
    #Tirreno: Neo-pro Magnus Cort finishes fourth, impressive in first WorldTour race. Sagan wins the stage.
    Ulrika incubaitng more talent. Great team.
  • thomthom
    Ulrika-ka-ka-ka!
  • Macaloon
    Cosmo :lol:
    CAO6joNUUAAcAEL.jpg
    Cyclocosm.com ‏@Cyclocosm 7m7 minutes ago
    Cycling doesn't do enough of this, really.
  • Anonymous
    Anonymous Posts: 79,667
    ThomThom wrote:
    Valgren gets a lot of attention but I reckon Magnus Cort is the bigger prospect. What a talent.

Based on I'm not sure what but definitely a talent.

#Tirreno: Neo-pro Magnus Cort finishes fourth, impressive in first WorldTour race. Sagan wins the stage.

Watching the backstage pass video (stage 2 I think), they said oh we're taking it easy until tomorrow, and Cort stuck his hand up and said, work for me i fancy this today. Finished 8th i think, and was disappointed he had no team mates due to crash, thought he could do more.

At least he has confidence, and must have some talent to back it up if they are willing to work for him so quickly.
  • thomthom
    sjmclean wrote:
    ThomThom wrote:
    Valgren gets a lot of attention but I reckon Magnus Cort is the bigger prospect. What a talent.

Based on I'm not sure what but definitely a talent.

Watching the backstage pass video (stage 2 I think), they said oh we're taking it easy until tomorrow, and Cort stuck his hand up and said, work for me i fancy this today. Finished 8th i think, and was disappointed he had no team mates due to crash, thought he could do more.

At least he has confidence, and must have some talent to back it up if they are willing to work for him so quickly.

Did you watch today's stage?
  • inseine
    inseine Posts: 5,786
    Ok so the girls are wearing heels but i didn't realise Sagan wasn't that much taller the Nairo

Only about 6 inches in it....
  • frenchfighter
    “The road was white, it was covered in snow. In Italy, they call it ‘ciclismo storico’ but I’m not interested in making history or what Fausto Coppi and Gino Bartali did in the forties and fifties. It’s 2015. If we want legendary cycling, then let’s race with only a fixed gear, with one bidon for a whole race, and without team cars…. I like to be part of spectacular racing but there have to be certain limits.”

“Fortunately I was well placed at the finish at Terminillo (57th at 12:33) and the winner was fine too but we’ve got to think about the whole peloton and the riders who work early in the race for us and then finish in the gruppetto. They were the ones who rode most in the snow and were cold at the finish,” he said.

“I raced in Oman in 49C and here at -2C. I think there are limits to when we should race. I’ve taken a stand for everyone and I’ll do it again. I won’t let people offend me just because of my opinions either. I know that racing is racing and business is business but everything is connected. We’ve got to be adults and I think the weather and the risks the riders face are two important things we have to discuss and improve together.”

“I’m sure that there will be a big change regarding the riders’ health in the next year or two.”
    -Cancellara
    Contador is the Greatest
  • gweeds
    gweeds Posts: 2,568
    He's got a point IMO. Fantastic viewing for us safe in nice warm homes, pretty grim for many riders earning crap money and without much of a voice.
    Napoleon, don't be jealous that I've been chatting online with babes all day. Besides, we both know that I'm training to be a cage fighter.
  • andytee87
    andytee87 Posts: 406
    Gweeds wrote:
    He's got a point IMO. Fantastic viewing for us safe in nice warm homes, pretty grim for many riders earning crap money and without much of a voice.

I agree with parts of it, although I have more of an issue with +49C than -2C where you are massively overheating the body. If they had to descend in fresh snow it's a different situation to a mountain finish. The guys in the gruppetto can layer up, when you have the lead group finishing with no real bad weather gear, it can't be worse than some of the northern classics.

It's as someone mentioned earlier about crying wolf, when there is a case to be made, will people now just say "It's only Cancellara being a princess again"
  • ddraver
    ddraver Posts: 26,401
    Slightly agree with Gweeds and Andy. There is no one else in the peloton who would be listened to if they said the same things. Someone has to fight the corner for rider safety.

That said, I still do not understand why it is so hard to let riders in the grupetto have some warm clothes at the base of the climbs. It's not like the minute it would take would make a difference...
    We're in danger of confusing passion with incompetence
    - @ddraver
  • rick_chasey
    rick_chasey Posts: 72,936
    andytee87 wrote:
    I agree with parts of it, although I have more of an issue with +49C than -2C where you are massively overheating the body. If they had to descend in fresh snow it's a different situation to a mountain finish.
    As I've said before, that entirely depends on where the busses are parked.
  • gweeds
    gweeds Posts: 2,568
    andytee87 wrote:

I agree with parts of it, although I have more of an issue with +49C than -2C where you are massively overheating the body. If they had to descend in fresh snow it's a different situation to a mountain finish. The guys in the gruppetto can layer up, when you have the lead group finishing with no real bad weather gear, it can't be worse than some of the northern classics.

It's as someone mentioned earlier about crying wolf, when there is a case to be made, will people now just say "It's only Cancellara being a princess again"

Totally agree about the 49c - that's just mental.

I guess for a rider like Cancellara, as we saw with Boonen, one crash now can ruin Paris-Roubaix and Flanders so that might be the issue here. That said, I really dislike riding on fresh snow and I'm not racing on it.
    Napoleon, don't be jealous that I've been chatting online with babes all day. Besides, we both know that I'm training to be a cage fighter.
  • frenchfighter
    ddraver wrote:
    That said, I still do not understand why it is so hard to let riders in the grupetto have some warm clothes at the base of the climbs. It's not like the minute it would take would make a difference...

Riders unwillingness to stop can be quite amazing sometimes!
    Like putting your jacket on doing a mountain descent at 80km/h through hairpins, rather than the 10secs to stop at the top and put it on.
    Contador is the Greatest
  • andytee87
    andytee87 Posts: 406
    andytee87 wrote:
    I agree with parts of it, although I have more of an issue with +49C than -2C where you are massively overheating the body. If they had to descend in fresh snow it's a different situation to a mountain finish.
    As I've said before, that entirely depends on where the busses are parked.

Agreed. Have to put the responsibility on the organisers- if you don't want stages shortened or neutralised by riders, either pick somewhere team buses can park, other route off so team cars can run them back to a bus, or provide showers/changing. On purely conditions vs route there wasn't an issue yesterday, but infrastructure wise for having the stage finish there may have been
  • Macaloon
    Candelabara should sign for Sky. They don't care if you don't ride, as long as the click in.
  • thomthom
    The thing is, Fabina here has called for neutralization so many times that it's hard to take seriously when he, for once, could have a point. The man called off a whole stage beacuse of 100 meters of slippery descents for festina's sake!

Also, what's up with his Zoolander Twitter picture?
  • frenchfighter
    Boss.
    “I have to thank Alberto [Contador] today. It was nice that a rider like Alberto pulled on the climb to break-up the group and put the sprinters in difficulty. The team also pulled for the last 80 kilometres or so.”
    -Sagan.

----

Almost all QS pulled out ahead of the TTT tomorrow. Wonder how Uran sitting in 3rd place feels about the support.....

http://www.cyclingnews.com/news/etixx-q ... -adriatico
    Contador is the Greatest
  • RichN95.
    RichN95. Posts: 27,174
    Almost all QS pulled out ahead of the TTT tomorrow. Wonder how Uran sitting in 3rd place feels about the support.....

http://www.cyclingnews.com/news/etixx-q ... -adriatico
    It's not a TTT tomorrow, it's and ITT. And it's only 10km on the least technical course you'll see all year so team mates aren't going to be much use.
    Twitter: @RichN95
  • frenchfighter
    Ok. They changed it then.
    Contador is the Greatest
  • iainf72
    iainf72 Posts: 15,784
    Ok. They changed it then.

It was supposed to be opening TTT last week.

Putting a TTT at the end of a stage race would be bizarre.
    Fckin' Quintana … that creep can roll, man.
  • frenchfighter
    Ok fair enough.
    Contador is the Greatest
  • I thought about this at the weekend, what's the reason for riders finishing races like this with a TT at the end? Professional pride? Team support? Contractual obligations?

Ben Swift finished almost last yesterday in Paris Nice, he was never going to get anywhere near winning, he showed up and rode 20 minutes, for what reason I can't understand
  • RichN95.
    RichN95. Posts: 27,174
    Ben Swift finished almost last yesterday in Paris Nice, he was never going to get anywhere near winning, he showed up and rode 20 minutes, for what reason I can't understand
    To test his climbing ahead of Milan-San Remo?
    Twitter: @RichN95
  • Maybe, but he already he knew it was good from his ride on Saturday, setting it up for G and Richie
  • nic_77
    nic_77 Posts: 929
    Boss.
    “I have to thank Alberto [Contador] today. It was nice that a rider like Alberto pulled on the climb to break-up the group and put the sprinters in difficulty. The team also pulled for the last 80 kilometres or so.”
    -Sagan.
    So when Sagan praises Contador, it's "Boss". But when Wiggins is lauded by Porte he's still work shy (see Paris-Nice thread). Extreme double standards even by your high bar.
  • ddraver
    ddraver Posts: 26,401
    need to watch more cycling etc etc...

Wiggins pull up climb totally different from Berties etc
    We're in danger of confusing passion with incompetence
    - @ddraver
  • Yellow Peril
    Yellow Peril Posts: 4,466
    “The road was white, it was covered in snow. In Italy, they call it ‘ciclismo storico’ but I’m not interested in making history or what Fausto Coppi and Gino Bartali did in the forties and fifties. It’s 2015. If we want legendary cycling, then let’s race with only a fixed gear, with one bidon for a whole race, and without team cars…. I like to be part of spectacular racing but there have to be certain limits.”

“Fortunately I was well placed at the finish at Terminillo (57th at 12:33) and the winner was fine too but we’ve got to think about the whole peloton and the riders who work early in the race for us and then finish in the gruppetto. They were the ones who rode most in the snow and were cold at the finish,” he said.

“I raced in Oman in 49C and here at -2C. I think there are limits to when we should race. I’ve taken a stand for everyone and I’ll do it again. I won’t let people offend me just because of my opinions either. I know that racing is racing and business is business but everything is connected. We’ve got to be adults and I think the weather and the risks the riders face are two important things we have to discuss and improve together.”

“I’m sure that there will be a big change regarding the riders’ health in the next year or two.”
    -Cancellara

He's right this is not the 40's or 50's it is the 21st century where clothing technology allows average dudes to mess about on adventures at the North and South Pole. If riders are cold they can stop and put on more clothing or climb off.
    @JaunePeril

Winner of the Bike Radar Pro Race Wiggins Hour Prediction Competition