Womens Pro Cycling 2015

Comments

• Lanterne_Rogue
    Lanterne_Rogue Posts: 4,091
    Watching the highlights, the road surface changes exactly where she lost it - I'm now convinced that it was the road surface that caused the swerve. With hands on the bars it's nothing, but without... Whether photographers should have been stood there to be hit afterwards is another issue.
  • awavey
    awavey Posts: 2,368
    it just looks worse every time they keep showing it on the news, Im glad Lizzie is "ok" albeit very battered, bruised and will no doubt wake up tomorrow feeling like well that shes been through the tumble dryer, and at least everyone else escaped injury too. hopefully too the no bones broken thing holds once any brusing or swelling goes down, as sometimes I know you can get hairline fractures which dont always show up on those immediate injury 1st xrays.

and I know its a hindsight thing, but you do look at the finish, with a built in stage ending full width bunch sprint and wonder why they allowed so many photographers to take the line shot...it cut half the width of the road off, which wasnt terribly that big to begin with, given theyll all end up with roughly the same set of end photo winning celebration shots from roughly the same angles, not blaming anyone for it they werent doing anything wrong or did anything they shouldnt have, its just one of those things that happens in cycling from time to time, but afterwards you look at it and think wow so why did we think that was such a great idea again.

Im assuming her front wheel just caught a bump in the road and veered the bike to the left, but even if it hadnt, anyone on the left going for the sprint & no-ones not going to go for the gap if its there, would have had nowhere to go with that setup given the finish line speed they got upto.

as for the website overexaggeration bit, well the NHS also dont tend to give you oxygen, intravenous drips, neck braces and not move you at all for 30mins from whence you landed & call in the air ambulance for good measure to take you to a hospital 40miles away totally in the opposite direction of the race manuals designated facilities which are only 25miles away...just for precautions sake,

so there was considerable concern both from the medics, organisers, her team mates, other competitors, friends etc , that she was injured badly & possibly beyond the normal very obvious cycling crash type injuries, so i suspect alot of the reports have been written in that tone as a result, rather than the well she just walked out of hospital.
  • argyllflyer
    argyllflyer Posts: 893
    Did the UCI not at one point crack down on riders taking their hands off the bars? Hazy memory maybe but didn't Robert Millar lose a win for doing something like that?
  • ddraver
    ddraver Posts: 26,399
    I remember a time, long long ago, when something bad would happen and people would say, "Man that was bad luck. hope everyone is inolved is ok" rather than work out exactly who was to blame for a freak accident that happened in a set up which was worked 99.9% of all the other times

Happy days...
    We're in danger of confusing passion with incompetence
    - @ddraver
  • DeVlaeminck
    DeVlaeminck Posts: 8,746
    She could see them, swerved into them as she was putting her hands back on the bars to make sure she went around them. I expect she's a better bike handler than most people who'd comment but she did fool this up. Shame.

Yeah agree with that - it's bad bike handling but that doesn't mean she's a bad bike handler - she just messed it up this time.

As for photographers after the finish line - accident waiting to happen isn't it - is there anyone here that hasn't on occasion thought that rider did well to miss them. I know publicity is important but it wouldn't hurt some race organisers to at least review how close to the finish they allow them and how far they let them encroach - though to be fair I didn't think they were encroaching that far in this instance.
    [Castle Donington Ladies FC - going up in '22]
  • apreading
    apreading Posts: 4,535
    It wouldnt be hard to have a proper curve in the course just after the finish line, with photogs outside the barriers on that curve to get head on shots of the finish.
  • frenchfighter
    frenchfighter Posts: 30,642
    Just seen this now. Big shame that she has to leave the race. Although I have voiced my thoughts on the gangerous location of those photographers et al, it appears that she really did cause her own crash here given she lost control and spun right into them rather than continuing in a straight line.
    Contador is the Greatest
  • RideOnTime
    RideOnTime Posts: 4,712
    Armitstead out of Women's Tour after crashing into photographers. Britain's Lizzie Armitstead is out of the Women's Tour following a crash seconds after she won the first stage in Suffolk.

http://d2ride.co.uk/News-and-Blog.php
  • Paul 8v
    Paul 8v Posts: 5,458
    So I upset someone on here before by saying about how Archibald has a tendency to crash (I've seen her crash twice in person!) Even the commentator was saying "It's not a bike race without seeing her on the deck"

Is it just incredible bad luck? She's a good rider but seems to be a bit of a Froome in the handling department.
  • disgruntledgoat
    disgruntledgoat Posts: 8,957
    Merelbeke's own Jolien De Hoore wins yesterdays stage!
    "In many ways, my story was that of a raging, Christ-like figure who hauled himself off the cross, looked up at the Romans with blood in his eyes and said 'My turn, sock cookers'"

@gietvangent
  • Ed-tron
    Ed-tron Posts: 165
    Good news for the GB women's sprint setup. Power house Shanaze Read ditching BMX for Rio.

http://www.cyclingweekly.co.uk/news/latest-news/shanaze-reade-returns-to-great-britains-track-team-166444

I bumped (literally) into her at Manchester. She is a strong girl, I bet she could toast some bread. Will be interesting how our GB women's sprint programme goes from here. As with our men, they're not the biggest but can find speed. I home Danielle Khan comes on, she seems a good egg.
  • Pross
    Pross Posts: 40,835
    So I upset someone on here before by saying about how Archibald has a tendency to crash (I've seen her crash twice in person!) Even the commentator was saying "It's not a bike race without seeing her on the deck"

Is it just incredible bad luck? She's a good rider but seems to be a bit of a Froome in the handling department.

Was this a different incident to Armistead's crash?
  • awavey

if it happened at every race outing you might have a point,but it doesnt :)

I just think its one of those memes in cycling that if youve fallen off a couple of times you suddenly get labelled bad at bike handling and it sticks regardless of all the wins and rides that you do when absolutely nothing untoward happens
  • awavey

yes she came off somewhere before the first QoM, cameras didnt pick up how really, possibly caught a drain cover, but hopped straight back on no biggie joined the break for the rest of the afternoon, but she wasnt the only rider to fall before the finishline incident so I dont know why people just pick her up for it.
  • Paul 8v
    Paul 8v Posts: 5,458

yes she came off somewhere before the first QoM, cameras didnt pick up how really, possibly caught a drain cover, but hopped straight back on no biggie joined the break for the rest of the afternoon, but she wasnt the only rider to fall before the finishline incident so I dont know why people just pick her up for it.

It was the fact that the commentator made that comment at the time. After she crashed in the nocturne right in front of me a comment was made (Bloomin' search button doesn't work on here)about some previous incidents. When I saw her at revolution she veered across the track without looking and collided as well. Hence my comment saying is it just incredible bad luck or something else?

She does seem to spend a lot of time on the deck and it's enough for it to warrant a mention by the commentator, I think she's a nice enough person and a strong rider, not having a go, just an observation
  • RideOnTime
    RideOnTime Posts: 4,712

It was the fact that the commentator made that comment at the time. After she crashed in the nocturne right in front of me a comment was made (Bloomin' search button doesn't work on here)about some previous incidents. When I saw her at revolution she veered across the track without looking and collided as well. Hence my comment saying is it just incredible bad luck or something else?

She does seem to spend a lot of time on the deck and it's enough for it to warrant a mention by the commentator, I think she's a nice enough person and a strong rider, not having a go, just an observation

I have to say I'm right into these women cyclists... much better than the football... didn't get that. :?
  • DeVlaeminck
    Interesting to hear Sarah Storey operates both brakes with one lever - Hugh Porter put her riding at the back/off the back down to the added dificulties in handling a bike with one functioning hand. Is he right in that does anyone know? Is that how she always rides in a bunch - does she do much bunch racing because it must make it nigh on impossible to compete except where she is strong enough to ride off from the gun.
  • hammerite
    hammerite Posts: 3,408
    Interesting to hear Sarah Storey operates both brakes with one lever - Hugh Porter put her riding at the back/off the back down to the added dificulties in handling a bike with one functioning hand. Is he right in that does anyone know? Is that how she always rides in a bunch - does she do much bunch racing because it must make it nigh on impossible to compete except where she is strong enough to ride off from the gun.

She does a fair amount of bunch racing and winning (so she must ride on/off the front), she does most rounds of the Women's Road Series. Although the standard Tour is a lot higher.
  • Ed-tron
    Ed-tron Posts: 165

She does a fair amount of bunch racing and winning (so she must ride on/off the front), she does most rounds of the Women's Road Series. Although the standard Tour is a lot higher.

There is a video on the Vox Women YouTube cycling channel showing her bike and explaining her approach
  • jibberjim
    jibberjim Posts: 2,810
    Is that how she always rides in a bunch - does she do much bunch racing because it must make it nigh on impossible to compete except where she is strong enough to ride off from the gun.

Yes, she's always in the last few of the bunch in any racing she does, and then attacks to go off the front after a prime or similar, and is strong enough to go solo, she's also always in the strongest team in the race which makes that tactic easier.
    Jibbering Sports Stuff: http://jibbering.com/sports/
  • andyp
    andyp Posts: 10,139

There is a video on the Vox Women YouTube cycling channel showing her bike and explaining her approach

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=xSn-wHTLRcg
  • DeVlaeminck
    Impressive she can get round burning so much extra energy
  • DeVlaeminck
    Bit of a better stage today - overall I've enjoyed watching this - thought the ITV coverage was decent and the highlights package worked well.
  • davidof
    davidof Posts: 3,043
    Bit of a better stage today - overall I've enjoyed watching this - thought the ITV coverage was decent and the highlights package worked well.

Yes, good coverage this year. A bit more attacking with breaks, which maybe shows a higher standard. I think it was on the stage Elisa Longo Borghini broke away on she took 35 Strava QOMs, I checked and she'd beaten the men on most of them, sometimes by more than 10%. I ride a bit round where she lives and she has some nice times on the climbs.

10516831_475188795976969_829487763704133171_n.jpg?oh=2622e376fdd3e3bf3e40bbf89962b331&oe=56200252

10646756_475188859310296_8137817535281267275_n.jpg?oh=60640ec11c163c48de632fd219428d7d&oe=5621A67D

11352863_469797163201990_1440512979_n.jpg
    BASI Nordic Ski Instructor
    Instagramme
  • frenchfighter
    Wow I am very impressed that Storey was competing!

--

Gruber's shots:
    http://stories.strava.com/ride-like-a-girl
    Contador is the Greatest
  • greasedscotsman
    greasedscotsman Posts: 6,962
    OK, here's a couple of thoughts on women's racing. Why is the biggest women's stage race held whilst the TdF is taking place. Nothing can compete with the Tour. To hold the Giro Rosa at the same time seems bonkers. How about holding it the week after the Tour. There isn't much on and you'll have lots of fans who have just spent the last 3 weeks watching the TdF with nothing much to watch. Sure, most won't watch a women's stage race, but some might.

And how about using La Course as the first stage? A week long women's TdF, the week after the men's with stage one on the Champs Elysees. Seems a good idea to me.
  • OK, here's a couple of thoughts on women's racing. Why is the biggest women's stage race held whilst the TdF is taking place. Nothing can compete with the Tour. To hold the Giro Rosa at the same time seems bonkers. How about holding it the week after the Tour. There isn't much on and you'll have lots of fans who have just spent the last 3 weeks watching the TdF with nothing much to watch. Sure, most won't watch a women's stage race, but some might.

And how about using La Course as the first stage? A week long women's TdF, the week after the men's with stage one on the Champs Elysees. Seems a good idea to me.

Its ASO you have to convince. And at the moment, they ain't convinced they can make money out of it.
  • Pross
    Pross Posts: 40,835

There's a rider in my area that competes perfectly well at Regional A level and has made 2nd cat despite only having one arm. He uses the two levers on one side and handles his bike in the bunch as well as anyone. He also holds his own perfectly well in cyclo cross.
  • frenchfighter
    Contador is the Greatest