Powerlinks don't go together or come apart when squeezed

Comments

• Ouija
    Ouija Posts: 1,386
    Used SRAM 8 and 9 speed powerlinks for years. Couldn't initially get them off when i first started using them, forcing me to use pliers in some cases. Then, after a bit of experience and experimenting, i learned the correct place and way to apply pressure and slide the links and have never had any problems getting them off since. Either new or old. Can do it in under 3 seconds with no tools whatsoever.

Tried some KMC 9 speed ones last year. Went on easy enough. But when i realized i might need another link taking out of the chain after installation i couldn't for the life of me get it off, even using the way i normally do SRAM's, and admitted defeat and broke the chain the traditional way instead (which you can still do with quicklinks in, so no extra effort than Shimano). The other KMC was on my mountain bike for six months and when i wanted to remove it to throw it away i couldn't get that one off either (so again, just broke it the traditional way).

Funny how you can have two completely different experiences with near identical products.

Still wouldn't touch a Shimano chain though. Just too much hassle to get on and off as standard (i'd rather resort to that only AFTER encountering problems with a quicklink).
  • nweststeyn
    nweststeyn Posts: 1,574
    This could turn into one of the BikeRadar classic threads...

One person in a rage vs. the rest of society.

I just went through and removed and reconnected the KMC link on both bikes in the garage. It wasn't very difficult. I can only assume you go into a rage any time you find something you can't manage :)

Not a healthy way to live your life.
  • if you do have a tight one coming off simply put it on the big ring, shift the chain around by one link such that the join is proud,give it a tap, hey presto.
  • nweststeyn
    nweststeyn Posts: 1,574
    Sound advice darkhairedlord, but perhaps a bit complicated for the OP.
  • frisbee
    frisbee Posts: 691
    Powerlinks are clearly a corporate conspiracy, the vast multi-billion dollar plier consortium's attempt to bring down the chain tool manufacturers.
  • ddraver
    ddraver Posts: 26,391
    Oh damn you frisbee I was just going to write one of those!!

Love this thread so far :lol::lol::lol:
    We're in danger of confusing passion with incompetence
    - @ddraver
  • dj58
    dj58 Posts: 2,217
    Manc33, You are taking the tension off the chain while squeezing the link plates and sliding them apart aren't you? There is a knack to doing this, it just take a bit of practice, also scrub the link with an old toothbrush or similar to remove any grit/detritus. If you are still having difficulties try the technique described in this CTC article. http://www.ctc.org.uk/file/member/201107050_0.pdf
  • Manc33
    Manc33 Posts: 2,157
    Chain tool manufacturers aren't going out of business anytime soon, even with these quicklinks, I mean missing links, I mean power links, I mean master links.

What annoys me is they sell these link things never telling you the obvious - there isn't one single bloody advantage to using them because you'll need a tool to get the chain off.

Years go I remember a quick link you had to sort of bend the chain sideways to undo it, no squeezing the plates or anything, it worked. I am sure it was a KMC chain/link. All you had to do to get that one off was push the link the wrong way or bend the chain a bit and it slipped straight off.

So they have worked for me in the past, but I had that bike for a few months though, it never had a chance to go wrong really.

That guy in the LBS from that 2009 thread I read before was right:
    viewtopic.php?p=15392684

"I get a dressing down off the chap in the bike shop saying that these are only a quick short term solution to a chain breaking, and that I should be using chains with driven pins."

Don't tell me... he doesn't know what he is talking about. :lol:
  • jameses
    jameses Posts: 653
    Manc33 wrote:
    What annoys me is they sell these link things never telling you the obvious - there isn't one single bloody advantage to using them because you'll need a tool to get the chain off.

Except the vast majority of people don't need a tool - even the chap in the thread you linked to said he could get it undone, albeit with some messing around. The tool just makes it easier if you can't be bothered to figure out how to do it properly.
  • jjsh
    jjsh Posts: 142
    Everybody knows Powerlinks are a Zionist plot, cooked up by evil corporate entities in the pay of lizardmen from outer space, in order to distract us from the fact that 9/11 was faked and ISIL are in fact an outreach project by McDonalds.

Or something.
  • mfin
    mfin Posts: 6,729
    It's weird, because all these quick links must vary so much and yet by pure fluke all of the ones I've ever had I've had no problem fitting or removing with no tools at all. I can understand if people don't have the knack though, they are extremely complex things.
  • Manc33
    They're crap.
  • mfin
    Yeah, can't see the point in them myself, at least you don't need tools for them if you're not cackhanded, unlike installing or removing a pin. Oh, hang on, they're great.
  • gethinceri
    gethinceri Posts: 1,517
    Manc33 wrote:
    They're crap.
    You don't use them, how do you know?
  • Manc33
    Gethinceri wrote:
    Manc33 wrote:
    They're crap.
    You don't use them, how do you know?

I am only going off that one where the metal got scuffed across the hole in the plate and the pin couldn't be pushed back that way, meaning a chain breaker was needed.

Folks, I am going to try using a quick link, again. :P

Which one is best? I have SRAM and KMC here and the KMC seems better for easy removal (although those pliers are basically a must as well, costing about £6.50 :roll: )

*waits for "get the Shimano one"

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=2ymHs5pmypk
  • keezx
    keezx Posts: 1,322
    After breaking a KMC one I only use SRAM's.

BTW, one of the best inventions in bicycle history.
  • taon24
    taon24 Posts: 185
    Why not just use a connex link? I have never seen anyone suggest that these links need a tool to work.
  • mercia_man
    mercia_man Posts: 1,431
    It's been said many times before on this forum by those in the know: use the CTC-recommended tool-free method to undo any quicklink.

Put chain on big chainring. Move chain by one link so quicklink and link next to it form a V protruding from the ring. Tap the apex of the V with a hammer or similar object. Link will open immediately.
  • NeXXus
    NeXXus Posts: 854
    Mercia Man wrote:
    It's been said many times before on this forum by those in the know: use the CTC-recommended tool-free method to undo any quicklink.

Put chain on big chainring. Move chain by one link so quicklink and link next to it form a V protruding from the ring. Tap the apex of the V with a hammer or similar object. Link will open immediately.
    Using a hammer is not a tool free method :lol:
    And the people bowed and prayed, to the neon god they made.
  • mfin
    Get an old bit of spoke or similar about 8cm long, then bend 2cm of each end of it up and past 90 degrees a bit then keep this. You can poke this into links on either side of the quick link to hold them pulled together, completely taking the tension off the quick link or link you wanna play about with. It's a handy thing to have for when fitting or removing chains.

Of course, you can do the same by taking the chain off the side of the chainset, but some of us like to avoid all possibility of accidentally scratching a chainset or frame.
  • t4tomo
    t4tomo Posts: 2,643
    Serious question, does the OP have opposable thumbs? :D
    Bianchi Infinito CV
    Bianchi Via Nirone 7 Ultegra
    Brompton S Type
    Carrera Vengeance Ultimate Ltd
    Gary Fisher Aquila '98
    Front half of a Viking Saratoga Tandem
  • stevie63
    stevie63 Posts: 481
    taon24 wrote:
    Why not just use a connex link? I have never seen anyone suggest that these links need a tool to work.
    Exactly they are so easy to use and work everytime

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=UqGMPAFtWgo

Problem solved
  • dabber
    dabber Posts: 1,926
    stevie63 wrote:
    taon24 wrote:
    Exactly they are so easy to use and work everytime

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=UqGMPAFtWgo

Problem solved

I couldn't find an 11 speed version - do they do one?
    “You may think that; I couldn’t possibly comment!”

Wilier Cento Uno SR/Wilier Mortirolo/Specialized Roubaix Comp/Kona Hei Hei/Calibre Bossnut
  • taon24
    taon24 Posts: 185
    Wippermann are german and list an 11speed chain on their website. They don't seem to sell direct to individuals.
    Their UK Distributor seems to be extra uk ltd. They may sell to individuals and I'm sure would either suggest when the links will be available or be able to direct you to someone who could sell you a link.
    You may find that foreign distributors have them sooner, and will ship within the EU.
  • trailflow
    trailflow Posts: 1,311
    manc33, why would you need to remove the quicklink whilst out on a ride ? the only scenario there is , is if your chain snaps. If so, you remove the broken link with a pocket chain tool. Then you can QUICKLY reconnect the shortened chain with a spare quicklink.

To close them without any pliers, just line them up and put the chain on the big ring. Rotate the crank so the quicklink is at 3 o'clock on the big ring and then apply pressure with your foot to the pedals. All you need is leverage.

See, not so difficult after all.
  • dj58
    dj58 Posts: 2,217
    taon24 wrote:

I've looked on all the usual places and cannot find an 11sp connex link either so can only assume that they aren't available in the UK yet. Might be an idea to contact wippermann to ask the question. email
    connex@wippermann.com
  • dabber
    dabber Posts: 1,926
    I wrote to Wipperman earlier this evening on this point. I'll post here if I get an answer.
    “You may think that; I couldn’t possibly comment!”

Wilier Cento Uno SR/Wilier Mortirolo/Specialized Roubaix Comp/Kona Hei Hei/Calibre Bossnut
  • itboffin
    itboffin Posts: 20,052
    There's quite a few posts on here where people have bought tools to replace quick links which I've found odd because removing quick licks for me has always been really easy, to the OP are you dropping the chain into the small mall gear? And put one thumb on each side of the plate then push in towards each other, just slides apart.
    Rule #5 // Harden The Feck Up.
    Rule #9 // If you are out riding in bad weather, it means you are a badass. Period.
    Rule #12 // The correct number of bikes to own is n+1.
    Rule #42 // A bike race shall never be preceded with a swim and/or followed by a run.